If You Could Play Golf as Often as You Prefer, How Often?

Once a week - 9 Holes Total
No votes
Once a week - 18 holes Total
No votes
Twice a week - 36 Holes Total
No votes
Three a week
10%
Four a week
40%
Five a week
40%
Six a week
No votes
Seven a week
10%
More than Seven (i.e. 36 holes some days)
No votes

Total votes: 10

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:30 am

This is regardless of your range sessions. Assume one can play a reasonable variety of courses. Assume one can afford to play as often as one wanted.

I think 4 times a week (18 holes) is about right for me, maybe just 3 some weeks. I am likely to never be an every day player. Walking 18 takes a bit out of me and I have to think playing every day would wear me down. And I certainly would not hit the range in between sessions unless something was seriously wrong with my play.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Re: If You Could Play Golf as Often as You Prefer, How Often?

Postby DougE » Mon May 15, 2017 8:39 am

5 days a week would be my desire. And that assumes no physical limitations (like my damn shoulder problems). I already play about 4 days a week on average at this time of year. I visit the range maybe once a week to hit more than a handful of balls. Otherwise I just warmup before each round with no more than 10-12 shots on the range. I also try to get in a good short game practice session at least once a week, usually lasting an hour and a half or more. Sometimes I go/walk out on the course at quiet times and practice different shots from different lies or work around a few specific greens for 10 or 15 minutes each. This is my favorite type of practice. It's just hard to find the quiet times to do it. Usually it is just before dusk, or a slightly rainy day. I walked 6 holes last night and got in a lot of practice work. I'm digressing, again.

If money were no object, I would play a variety of courses in the area at least once a week and 4 days at my home course, Worthington Manor. There are so many nice tracks around here, but unless I can get a good deal, I mostly stick to where my membership covers me. Last year, I played 9 or 10 different courses, but 95% of my golf was at my home course, which is considered to be one of the best courses in Maryland, so I ain't complaining. I love playing WM.

The main reason I don't play more golf now is to be sensitive to my ailing shoulders. And, I have to get SOME stuff done around the house.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon May 15, 2017 10:50 am

I think I would average right about five. Five would be a typical week. Some weeks I would get all obsessive probably and play like 10-14 rounds. Other weeks I would probably get fed up with people and reel it in and play maybe thrice; in those weeks I'd probably hit a few jumbo buckets and several hundred chips as well. In this deeply hypothetical scenario I'd ride a cart mostly, save wear and tear on the body.

I don't play much these days but my appetite is still pretty huge. (Maybe that's why I feel so unfulfilled) I am lucky currently to not be limited by any ailments. In other words I love swinging at balls like a fat kid loves cake.
everyone is gay

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 am

WHEN I win the powerball Wednesday it will be probably 3-4 times a week.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

MattF

Postby MattF » Mon May 15, 2017 12:45 pm

My goal, when we move south in a few years, is to play 9 3 times during the week after work and 18 once a weekend. The days off will be fishing instead of golf.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon May 15, 2017 12:48 pm

The correct answer is 4.7 times, which is 2 days on and 1 day off. Three days in a row, particularly if walking, wipes me out but two doesn't bother me so it seems like the answer is 2 out of 3.

I'm probably about to find out as it looks like I will be undergoing a job transition in late summer. One of my goals has been to see if I could ever play 30 days in a row and what would it do to my game, but I'm sure my wife will ask why I have to play twice a weekend if I get to play all week, so the real goal will be to play 20-25 times in a month. I'm making of list of courses that I would play if I had the time to scope out the deals / travel to them. Problem is going to be that all the deals are in the pm. Thoughs about Bethpage but can't figure out how to get a tee time.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:09 pm

God I hope my wife runs into this thread. Where I'm arguing for 3-4 times a week, where as everyone is voting for 4, 5 or 7 rounds per week.

I may "accidentally" leave this page open on her computer lol.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:God I hope my wife runs into this thread. Where I'm arguing for 3-4 times a week, where as everyone is voting for 4, 5 or 7 rounds per week.

I may "accidentally" leave this page open on her computer lol.

If you do leave this page open on her computer, be sure to delete your above post beforehand...and this one too! :lolz

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Please, report back to us with the results. This sounds like a "grab a beer and a chair" moment.

Notice, I didn't say anything incriminating, so you don't have to delete my post.

When I lived up north, I played just about every day from the time that the course opened in the spring to the time the course closed in the fall. Three things kept me off of the course. 1. Lightning. 2. Winds in excess of 30 mph. 3. Snow.

Oh...and 4. The course is closed.

I never made it 30 straight days that I recall. I did make it 22 straight days twice only separated by a single day, though. So 44 outings in 45 days. Most of the rounds were 18 holes because, yes, you can fit in an 18 hole round after work from early May until about mid August in the northern latitudes.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 pm

bryan k wrote:Please, report back to us with the results. This sounds like a "grab a beer and a chair" moment.

Notice, I didn't say anything incriminating, so you don't have to delete my post.

When I lived up north, I played just about every day from the time that the course opened in the spring to the time the course closed in the fall. Three things kept me off of the course. 1. Lightning. 2. Winds in excess of 30 mph. 3. Snow.

Oh...and 4. The course is closed.

I never made it 30 straight days that I recall. I did make it 22 straight days twice only separated by a single day, though. So 44 outings in 45 days. Most of the rounds were 18 holes because, yes, you can fit in an 18 hole round after work from early May until about mid August in the northern latitudes.

Respect. :jesus
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 am

As we go into June, I'm feeling like I have had a good start on the season, golf rounds-wise. As of today, there have been 151 days in 2017. I am playing my 78th round today on the 152nd day of the year. Not bad in a locale that has a real winter. On average, that's basically a round every other day. But, it's not enough. I want more.

Had 20 rounds in May. Shooting for another 16-20 in June and hoping my nagging injuries cooperate and new ones don't arise. I'm on my best pace ever.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:53 am

I played 11 times in May which is a lot for me - late afternoons/early evenings have been friendly in addition to my 2 weekend rounds.. Typically I can get to 12 in July or August but not May. It's looking more and more like I will have lots of free time from work late summer so I'm looking forward to blowing away the 12 times in a month.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:25 am

DougE wrote:As we go into June, I'm feeling like I have had a good start on the season, golf rounds-wise. As of today, there have been 151 days in 2017. I am playing my 78th round today on the 152nd day of the year. Not bad in a locale that has a real winter. On average, that's basically a round every other day. But, it's not enough. I want more.

Had 20 rounds in May. Shooting for another 16-20 in June and hoping my nagging injuries cooperate and new ones don't arise. I'm on my best pace ever.

Okay, we are now into October. Have played 149 rounds, plus many other evenings where I am just out practicing various shots around the course, typically playing 5 or 6 holes at a time. Still hoping to get in 175 for the year. Already blew away my old record of 142 (I think). Body still holding up...to a function-able degree. But it has required a lot of ice, NSAIDs and pre- and post-round stretching.

With all this golf, you'd think I'd be better! :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:50 am

Probably passed the point of diminishing returns. Believe me the rest of us should be so lucky. I want to pass that point too, just to see what it's like. One time a few years ago, I played three days in a row and that was as close as I've ever got. :nope
everyone is gay

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:41 am

As of right now I am at 86 rounds, with a three day weekend coming up. Of course, unlike some people I won't name like Doug, I have a full time job. :thumbs Last year I played 92 rounds, with me hitting #86 on December 10th. Also, I will not be working a Friday in November, due to taking two Fridays off for tournaments, and two Fridays off for paid holidays.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:47 am

I'm such a slacker.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:17 pm

srogers13 wrote: Of course, unlike some people I won't name like Doug, I have a full time job.

I have a full time job too. It's called GOLF. :P

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:09 pm

I have learned a lot about this with my recent play as much as you can time. I can tell you 4-5 rounds per week is a lot of golf. Based upon my last 70 days, I expect my retirement goals (hopefully in 10 years or so) to be 4 times per week. Not sure I would need more than that if I got 4 times every week.

On the flip side, I expect to be moving and one day retire in a part of the country where year round golf is possible. That could bring another set of thoughts into play. Currently I don't mind a 30-60 day winter where playing isn't possible, but once its longer than that its painful. Will I be okay with playing less if I can play year round? IDK

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 am

Around 85-90 as of 10/9. Since I switched to independent contractor status (4/1) and essentially work 2 days a week, one would expect I would be playing more but that hasn't happened. Somewhere along the line I lost my game and probably as a consequence, my burning desire to be on the course. I have had similar down periods and bounced back. This one seems to have lasted almost the entire spring & summer.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:42 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote: Somewhere along the line I lost my game and probably as a consequence, my burning desire to be on the course. I have had similar down periods and bounced back. This one seems to have lasted almost the entire spring & summer.

I have been in those funks as well. Sometimes just taking a prolonged time-out works, but in your case, after spending all that time out of the country and thinking about other things that have nothing to do with golf, it may take a real re-boot to get back on track.

Also, not to be a psychotherapist here, but your new role as an independent contractor likely brings some added stress, which requires more focus on your work and less on your game. Being an IC has its advantages, but many disadvantages as well. Your day to day work mode is different than it was for many years. Expectations may be different as well, on both sides of the table. Added pressure, demanding more attention to your work--maybe not consciously, but certainly subconsciously--can affect the things that are usually very constant in your life. I have noticed myself, when I get into a big project--even one just around the house--I can get so absorbed in the details of it all that I don't have enough focus left to play good golf, which as we all know is all about the details. It's hard to stay that focused on two very demanding, detail-oriented pursuits at the same time. It's why I couldn't sail and play golf with equal passion or conviction during the same period of my life. In order to be the sailor I wanted to be and accomplish the things I wanted to do, golf had to take a back seat. Obsession takes a lot of psychological energy.

You have far more years of playing this game seriously than most, if not all of us. Not because you are the oldest, but you likely started earlier than most of us. Though I am only 2-3 years younger, I only played a little as a kid, 60 or 70 times hacking it around during my 35-year sailing career and only began to take it seriously about 12 or 13 years ago when I began playing 100 or more rounds a year. The effort it has taken to stay focused on my game the last 12-13 years is immense. Having to do so for as long as you have taken the game seriously, is Herculean. You are entitled to let your passion for the game check out every now and again. It will come back. Watching women's golf always gets me inspired again. Why women's you ask? I think because watching them seems so much closer to the level of my game, albeit they're still far better. But I can make the leap, mentally, to what they can do, relative to what I can do much easier than watching what the PGA Tour guys can do. That's a whole different level, of which I know is way beyond me and always will be.

Maybe you should consider doing some new club research and then go buy yourself something shiny to put in your bag. When I get stale, putting a new club in my bag always gets me excited to play golf.

I'm rootin' for ya, BK. Your lack of postings here of late has sorely been noticed. Get back in the game, dammit!

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”