WTF did you shoot today?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:42 am

Went out at 4 yesterday to play 9 holes. They told me it was $27 to walk 9. It's $55 to ride 18 at 8am. I decided on a bucket of balls and practice my chipping.

I hit the balls as well as I'd expect not swing a club more than 60 times in 3 months. But my chipping was great. Not sure what why but I was hitting my spots and the ball was reacting like I expected. I holed 5 or 6 chips in 30 min of practice.

Btw chipping when the wind is blowing is probably my favorite thing to practice. The wind allows me to feel like I am really good. It gives me so many options. I can hit a low spinner that takes one hop and stops on a dime. I can put it back in my stance and run it. Hell on a big uphill lie I can probably hit a flop into the wind that I wind up catching on the fly (I'll try this the nest time no one is around.)
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:57 am

Also Doug I hope your elbow is doing better than mine.

I spent probably 45 min last night doing some combination of icing, massaging, and stretching just to make it stop throbbing. To actually make this thing heal I feel like I might need to make that a nightly routine.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am

This should probably go in the elbow thread, or an old man injury thread but whatever. Do you guys ever work on strength training to counteract the issues? I mentioned that I started feeling some overuse soreness on my left side a while ago. So I'm doing some forearm curls and even squeezing a tennis ball while I sit on the couch. I don't even know if this is helpful. But it's not getting worse I can tell you that. :gay
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:19 am

I work my shoulders, back and hips everyday, with a full set of golf-specific yoga and other stretching exercises. It really helps keep me playing decent golf. But, sometimes, I do get overuse pain and need to take a day or two, or three off. When I swing well, the pain is on my left side, either shoulder, back or hip. Once that happens, my right shoulder starts to give me irritation and inflammation which tells me I am subconsciously trying to do too much with my right side, which is typically illustrated by weak shots. That's when I know I need a break. It's at that point that I will go practice short game and putting, instead of playing. I get many forced practice days, which isn't always a bad thing. It's how my short game got respectable in the first place. Recovering from shoulder surgery only allowed my to chip and putt after 8 weeks of recovery. I could not take a full swing for 4 months. Consequently, I chipped and putted for 2 months straight, teaching me a lot about those two elements. My handicap came down 3 or 4 strokes that year alone. That was 10 years ago.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:13 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am
This should probably go in the elbow thread, or an old man injury thread but whatever. Do you guys ever work on strength training to counteract the issues? I mentioned that I started feeling some overuse soreness on my left side a while ago. So I'm doing some forearm curls and even squeezing a tennis ball while I sit on the couch. I don't even know if this is helpful. But it's not getting worse I can tell you that. :gay
I don't but I should.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun May 05, 2019 7:58 am

Puked out a 95 in sloppy conditions. 2 penalties for lost balls due to plugging. The rough was a good 4" high as well.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:55 am

Had a mild breakthrough Sunday. The course was a sodden mess but the "no carts" decision left the place empty. So I slogged around Lake Forest Golf Club on a beautiful May day (Sunny, slight breeze, 67 degrees).

I bogeyed every par 5 and had no birdies but managed to post a 79. Yes, I played #16 at 302 yards instead of 428 and the par there is what gave me the 79. My ball striking was much improved. Driving was very good, not that I was rewarded ... splat. Putting was tepid.

I was really tired at the end of the round. It is hard to walk through mud, puddles and soggy turf. Like walking on sand, a lot of the energy imparted from your step is lost in the compression of the mud/soggy turf.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat May 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Rain held off long enough this morning to play an early round but course was way wet and playing really long. Swung club decently, especially given the lack of roll out. But this course usually has very fast greens and today they were so slow it was difficult to adjust which I never did. The wife and I have a fancy dinner out planned tonight for our anniversary. It could go like this:

Wife’s Diary: Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird. We had made plans to meet at a nice restaurant for dinner. I was shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late, but he made no comment on it. Conversation wasn’t flowing, so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk. He agreed, but he didn’t say much. I asked him what was wrong; He said, ‘Nothing…’ I asked him if it was my fault that he was upset. He said he wasn’t upset, that it had nothing to do with me, and not to worry about it. On the way home, I told him that I loved him. He smiled slightly, and kept driving. I can’t explain his behavior. I don’t know why he didn’t say, ‘I love you, too.’ When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore. He just sat there quietly, and watched TV. He continued to seem distant and absent. Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed. About 15 minutes later, he came to bed. But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts were somewhere else. He fell asleep; I cried. I don’t know what to do. I’m almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else. My life is a disaster.

Husband’s Diary: six 3 putts… who the f**k 3 putts six times?

Only solace is that after 3 putting 13, 14, 16, and 17 (#6) I rammed a 20 footer really hard on 18. Birdie - thanks flag stick.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat May 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Great story.
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat May 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Heard it before, but still funny the 2nd time.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun May 12, 2019 12:46 am

DougE wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:46 pm
Heard it before, but still funny the 2nd time.
I know but it’s still my favorite

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Same here.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun May 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Ditto. Although in the version that I remember, instead of referencing 6 3-putts, it was just: who the f**k 4-putts?
I'm gonna go low this time...

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat May 18, 2019 1:41 pm

I haven't added up my score but I've played golf twice this week. 9 holes after work Wednesday and 18 today. Trying to be more active since I'm putting on a few pounds and I miss walking the course and golfing. I'm still struggling with chipping some, mostly today because I put the 60º wedge back in the bag and today I skulled that club 5 or 6 times. Had a near hole out for a tap in birdie on a par 3, and one birdie putt that lipped out. Lots of putts on the edge of the cup - the greens were punched a few weeks ago and were running slow and bouncy today. If I had to guess I'm thinking I shot around 96 or 97 today. Not that bad for being a hacker who never plays anymore. I hope to keep it up.
Everything Sucks

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat May 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Correction 89 !! I thought it was worse that that. 48/41
Everything Sucks

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:47 pm

jfurr wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:53 pm
Nice eraser work. :up :lolz :banana
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun May 19, 2019 8:15 am

Shot a 90 on Friday afternoon at Windmill and ended up having to use 3 wood off the tee after the 6th. Mishit the ball off the tee and did this to the driver, which is only 2 months old.
M5 2.jpg
M5 2.jpg (152.6 KiB) Viewed 354 times
I took it to the local Dicks, which is the closest TM retailer and they're going to contact them on Monday to see about a warranty replacement.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:28 am

Maybe they'll just change the wording to "twistier face"
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun May 19, 2019 8:42 am

MattF caving in driver face, Jfurr playin golf, all kind of crazy shit going on up in here :up
Build a bridge and get over it.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun May 19, 2019 11:03 am

srogers13 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:47 pm
jfurr wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:53 pm
Nice eraser work. :up :lolz :banana
Kiss my ass. I wasn’t keeping score during the round. Probably why I held it together on the back.
Everything Sucks

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun May 19, 2019 11:13 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:42 am
MattF caving in driver face, Jfurr playin golf, all kind of crazy shit going on up in here :up
Yeah I want to play today as well, but have a daytime band gig at a begetting concert.
Everything Sucks

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:38 am

I was down in Indiana for a 4 day old guy golf convention. First day was a modified scramble: pick best drive of the 3-some, play in from there with own ball, record best net score. 75% of handicap. Our team was me ("7"), our 93 year old leader ("7") and our former club president ("36"). Our club president did not bother to drive and contributed -0-. We did not win.

Next three days were different formats but we played our own ball. Shot 79, 93, 83 ... Mr. Consistency!!
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:42 am
We're trying!

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon May 20, 2019 12:10 pm

UPDATE: TMAG is sending out a new driver, but it won't get here until the 31st.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:06 am

First tournament of the year yesterday. Too much course and not enough golfer as far as my performance. 87 (gross :puke and I mean GROSS).

We have a pretty good core of players with low single digit handicap indexes. Only one player broke 80, with a 79. Everyone else was 80+. The course was a sloppy mess (other than the greens) and the rough had not been cut in 7+ days. If you could find your ball in the rough, the best play was to gouge it out to the fairway with a wedge.

Not a lot of smiling faces in the clubhouse after our "cart path only" 5.5 hour round.
Let's Play 36