WTF did you shoot today?

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:59 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:40 am
I'd love to be able to work on short game/putting as that's really the weakness of my game, but all of the courses' practice areas are closed down due to COVID.
(This post was not supposed to get too long, but you know me. Blah blah blah.)

I'm kind of surprised by that. So, it's okay to play golf with 3 other people out on the course, but not okay to putt solo on the practice green? How is one more dangerous than the other? As long as there are no pins to remove and replace on the practice green, I see no more threat than actually playing golf in a group for four-plus hours. Being outdoors and mostly socially-distanced by inherent design, neither seems too risky.

I'm all for caution, but some Covid-related restrictions make no sense when you see something else far more unsafe that is allowed.

In any case...
...you can practice putting on any lower pile carpet in your home. I do it every day as part of my regular routine, along with chipping off a mid-pile carpet and yoga stretches. It's like brushing your teeth. It's just another part of your daily maintenance process. Sure, it won't help you read breaks better, but it will certainly help you find and ingrain a good stroke and give you confidence that you can hit the ball on the exact line you want, every time. It will make you a much better short putter.

I cut a 4 and a quarter inch hole in a piece of thin veneer (1/64th") that is about 5 inches square which I throw down on the carpet as my target. (Card stock would work as well.) Or, just put two tees 4+ inches apart. Or multiple pairs of them along a 3, 6, 9 or 12 ft. putt line and practice sending the ball through all pairs and stopping just after the final pair. I use the same veneer framed hole for my chipping practice.

My general habit is to chip about 25 from different distances (I have about a 40' area in my finished basement where I can do this), then do my yoga, shoulder and back stretches, then chip another 25, putt 25, then head to the course to practice and play for real. It just re-affirms my confidence in my stroke, knowing I can make a smooth motion and perfect strike nearly every time.

Also, I'm not sure if you have a lawn, but if so, practicing your chipping and pitching from every conceivable poor lie out there will really help you see and find what works and what doesn't. I can spend hours each week, with one or another particular wedge and a dozen balls chipping and pitching to targets all over my backyard, simulating the kind of tough lies you might get on the course. I can't tell you how helpful this has been to my short game. Practicing at the course in a short game area is good, but in my yard with the difficult lies I can easily find myself in, takes it to the next level.

And just one tip to remember for mostly all chip and pitch shots, hit down on the back of the ball. Ball first contact. Just like any other full iron or wedge shot. No flipping. Only a flop shot and a bunker shot would not necessarily follow that standard.

Okay, I'm done.

For now.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:35 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:59 am
I'm kind of surprised by that. So, it's okay to play golf with 3 other people out on the course, but not okay to putt solo on the practice green? How is one more dangerous than the other? As long as there are no pins to remove and replace on the practice green, I see no more threat than actually playing golf in a group for four-plus hours. Being outdoors and mostly socially-distanced by inherent design, neither seems too risky.

I'm all for caution, but some Covid-related restrictions make no sense when you see something else far more unsafe that is allowed.
Why does that surprise you? I agree I'm all for appropriate caution, but I've totally lost patience with Covid silliness/stupidity, depending on your point of view, but at this point nothing surprises me in Covid restrictions. One of the courses near me is still spacing out tee times to 20 minutes (from 10) to keep foursomes apart - total silliness in my opinion. Another golf course I frequent has three stalls in the men's room - the middle one is taped off so it can't be used - if the walls of the stall don't work then what good are those plexiglass dividers. My newest favorite is the county has declared that you must where a mask when playing tennis indoors. Think about it - a tennis court is 36 X 78, or 2808 sq. feet, and does not count space beyond the baseline. So when playing doubles, each player has 700 sq. feet on the court. And the ceiling is at least 40 feet high - crazy.

Sorry had to get that off my chest.

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Post by CeeBee » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Right now is tough to gauge how my game is. Today shot a decent 78 from the senior tees. Couple birds thrown in. Cold weather kills my distances. Not used to using 6i from 145 or PW from 110 but that’s where it is. Drives ok. 200 yds max. :facepalm
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:58 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 am
Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:37 pm
and three 4-putts.
Reminds me of the joke involving the wife thinking her morose husband was having an affair when in reality he was thinking ... 4-putts? 4-putts? Who the hell 4-putts... three times!

Hey, I might trade 12 putts for an eagle. Haven't had one in over two years.
This definitely jinxed me as that's my favorite golf joke. Played up a tee today shot +6/76. Missed five greens for +3. Hit 13 GIRS - 4 three putt bogeys. In my defense, this was my first round since the bermuda went dormant.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Yesterday I played a track that I ate up a couple months back, even without having my driver working at all that day. It was actually the third time this year we played, but the 2nd time, we quit after 4 or 5 holes it was so backed up. We got rain checks due to the back up, and tried again yesterday.

I had high hopes my driver would be working this time (as it had been of late) and I could get down close to par. Not only did driver abandon me, but pretty much every club in the bag did as well. Only my wedges kept me in the game, and maybe a few good iron shots off all the par three tees. If I hit 10 satisfying shots all day, I'd be surprised. 86, and not a pretty 86, I might add. Felt like a 100. Putting was all over the place, and yet the greens were perfectly fine. Friendly, you might say. Any other day I would have loved them. I had little focus while putting. I was too upset by the rest of my game.

At least the rain checks made it a bit easier to swallow. I didn't pay for the round.

I'll get over it.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:22 pm

Only played nine today but hit the ball well. Long from the tee and nothing miserable happened. Scrapped in a 42. Short game felt ... good(?) which is weird. Today the weather was nice mid 60’s and a little afternoon golf outing was what I needed, in these dark and chilly days.
Everything Sucks

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:27 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:05 am
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 am

Reminds me of the joke involving the wife thinking her morose husband was having an affair when in reality he was thinking ... 4-putts? 4-putts? Who the hell 4-putts... three times!
I once told my wife that joke and she had a good laugh. Now it seems, every time I'm in a bad mood, she asks me how many 4 putts I had today. That usually lightens the mood.
Four putting is kind of like jerking off. It’s embarrassing, but you know you're gonna do it again.
Everything Sucks

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Been on the struggle bus lately. Shot 102 yesterday. Bad habits continue to creep back in. My issue is posture and my shoulders hunching too far forward at address, which affects the shoulder and lat muscles and inhibit a full shoulder turn. I've struggled with this off and on and 'stumbled' on fixes before. I found some more recent information which clarifies the issue and the correct feel. Found some articles/videos to help out. Seems to improve consistency of contact and club path with short game as well.
Bluto did it

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:28 pm

First really good round in a while - 72, playing up a tee due to weather. The course was soaked from yesterday's rain and it never got above 50 - had to be playing 2-3 shots harder than usual so that makes up for the three shots easier tee position. One ugly DB where I bladed an easy wedge, mediocre chip and then three putt from close range but otherwise a solid day.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:41 am

Shot a raggedy assed 91 final round for 2020. Didn’t hit it well and didn’t give a shit. Fitting finish for a shitty year. Been struggling over the last two months. Drive distance way down means less GIR which also cuts down birdie chances. I don’t think I will or want to go for 200 plus any more. Many times I went out with no interest. Began to feel like a job. :facepalm

2020 totals: 209 rounds. Walked 197.
178 birdies.
1 eagle.
Hdcp up to around 12-13 and climbing.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Started the year out right - in one of the coldest rounds I have played - supposedly 50ish but +20 mph winds with dampness and clouds - and in extremely soggy course from over an inch of rain yesterday - had a 78 in a two man shamble. Would have probably had an 80 if playing my own ball, which still would have been really good given the conditions. More importantly, won net $25 as part of the day. Highlight was a 7i into a 2-3 club wind that ended up 2 feet from the hole. That was worth a greenie.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:14 am

Solid 74 from the up tees - course was still very soggy. However, the highlight was early on. On the par 4 3rd hole, I topped my drive, hit a mediocre FW and then bladed a wedge just over the green. My ball was in a very wet spot so I dropped over a few steps into a dryer spot, even though it was technically a step closer to the hole. Chipped in to save par! So then I walked back to the wet spot, dropped my ball wondering what would have happened in that spot, and chipped in again! Two holes later a 5i was too good and went off the back. Short sided I hit a pitch/lob in the hole! Came close again a few holes later but that was it for the day.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:37 am

@GBOGEY :thumbs

I haven't seen 70s in months. Two in a row from you for a great start to 2021!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:41 am

DougE wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:37 am
@GBOGEY :thumbs

I haven't seen 70s in months. Two in a row from you for a great start to 2021!
Finally saw 70s once again. Barely.
After a rough start, was able to turn things around nicely. Could have even been better if the dang greens weren't so bumpy from uncut poa annua.
https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0

It's just a shame it was an out-of-season round. We start posting here on March 15th. This round would have helped the index, unlike so many other winter rounds which surely would not have. On the contrary.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:43 pm

87 (on a very short set of tees), which was a major improvement from my maiden 2021 attempt. My first go was easily over 100 if I counted every shot and penalty. The 87 was made playing the ball down, no improved lies in bunkers and putting everything out. I wanted a baseline.

The "side effects" of having two holes drilled in my head were not initially apparent. That first effort a week ago, however, made it clear that I have some problems. My balance is slightly impaired. I also have a bit of an issue with my eyesight and focusing on an object. Both are improving but until I tried to play golf, it was not obvious to me that I was still recovering.

Next head CT is April 1, so we will see how the "dent" in my brain is repairing itself. Meanwhile, I plan to hit more balls and play more.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:25 am

I’m hoping you are back in form soon bk. Hat you are dealing with makes my issues trivial in comparison.

The last several rounds I’ve played are like a light switch turned on. From dark to light. From absolutely no game to a return to SOME game. I have been and continue to play the senior tees. Will move back a tee in May. But for now building confidence. Yesterday shot a nice 77. Felt good, hit the ball well. However, digesting the round afterward realized I putted lights out. Ball found the hole from everywhere.

Now I’m a pretty good putter. But some of those were ridiculous. 🤣
Tee it up!

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 am

Shot a 90 at The National at Ave Maria yesterday. 77% of fairways on the front. Birdied the first par 5 on the back, then parred the second par 5. I think I played OK.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:10 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:25 am
The last several rounds I’ve played are like a light switch turned on. From dark to light. From absolutely no game to a return to SOME game. I
:thumbs I was talking with a golf buddy and I told him that golf is a lot more fun when one has hope that things will improve.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 am

Hey BK, nice to see you starting to play again. It will get better from there as you regain your feels, balance, etc... It is looking up indeed! 👍

Today, I managed to finish par, birdie, birdie on pars 3, 5 and 4 respectively, for a nice 75 (par 70), even with a stupid double on the front. I narrowly avoided another double by chipping in, too.
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:07 am

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 am
...I narrowly avoided another double by chipping in, too.
:yess Chipping in is like getting a "Get Out of Jail" card in golf. For us, typically unexpected but so nice.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Time to take down "golfer of the year." I won't be winning my flight this year:
1. Thanks to last year's win, I was moved up to Flight #1 from Flight #2
2. The club has had an influx of good golfers. So instead of being the best #2 golfer by 2 strokes I think I am now the worse #1 golfer by two strokes and a few of the new guys are close to scratch - no realistic chance to win anything
3. My game is a mess - really struggling to hit my driver straight right now (or long when it's straight).

Saturday I limped in with an 80 after giving away 4-5 strokes due to sloppy conditions. I was pleased with my play because I felt the course was 2-3 strokes harder due to the slop, but then I saw the other scores and other players weren't similarly impacted. My realization is that I'm not a good slop player - swing is too steep - I hit several shots slightly fat that were awful due to the slop. My goal now is to finish above all the flight #2 players and to play well.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:28 pm

That’s exactly the same kind of play I have in sloppy conditions. Steep downswing, mud flies. Ball doesn’t. Currently working on slight swing change to help generate more club head speed. Worked well a few shots. I’m having a hell of a time playing into the wind. Too many shots balloon and drop well short. Shot a mediocre 86. :facepalm
Tee it up!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 pm

:facepalm I have to vent. The other day I hit a new low by shooting an even 100 followed up by an equally sorry 49 today. Walked off the course.

This follows a steady decline over the last 6 months. I’ve lost about 40 yards off driver and 20 off irons. I can’t remember the last time I flushed a 5 iron. Yeah on occasion I can throw out a decent score. Satisfying? No. How many times have we all heard it doesn’t matter how you made par. Well mentally it does. Hitting a shitty drive followed by a topped, sliced or fat approach with a super flop/chip and hoping to one putt every hole doesn’t cut it. That’s my current game IF my putter is red hot. Mid 80’s is the best I have. We are not talking about the tips either. Timing, weight shift, grip, shoulder turn are a mess. All out of sync. Somehow I’ve got to work it out before I break something. Right now I am a true hack. :facepalm

Yes I am taking some lessons. Hitting the range too. So far not much to smile about.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am

I feel your pain. Had my 4th straight poor round last weekend. Absolutely can't find a fairway, sometimes left, sometimes right. Spent hours on the range the other night with very little progress. Going today for my first lesson in 5 years. Hoping another set of eyes will help.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:15 am

So I somewhat think I figured out my problem the other day while in the shower. Yes, I took an imaginary swing in the shower. Now to stop doing it. On the way to my lesson yesterday and the pro called and said we had to cancel as the range was closed due to the heavy rains the previous night. So I diverted to a nearby course to play 9 - very empty and played 18. It's a touch course which was soft and the wind blew +20 mph constantly. All said, my best round in weeks. Ended up 81 (72.1/139) which was decent. Did much better off the tee but still work to do. Hit 10 greens despite the heavy winds. If I had gotten up and down a little better could have been a stellar round. At least at this point I can say "all is not lost."