GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 pm

Fujikura pro 60

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 pm

That depends on what you are looking for from the shaft, and what is best for your swing speed and mechanics. Each shaft is different. Exotic shafts are usually better, but not always. Need more from you regarding your tempo, transition speed, feel you like, need for a higher or lower ball flight, better dispersion, etc. Or are you all about more distance?

The real Fuji Pro is actually a very good shaft if it fits you, in an affordable price. I'd look at the Ventus (the one built with Velocore, not the one found stock in some off the rack drivers) if you really want to see some great results in a Fuji shaft. The Red is very different than the blue or black. R flex in Fuji is firmer than some S-flexes from other manufacturers. Flex will depend on SS and transition, mostly. I play stiff, but can play regular, or somewhere in between, depending on brand and specific bend profile of the various shafts. I'm an SR flex in most Graphite Design AD shafts (which stands for Stiff-Regular, not senior) but play a stiff one in my utility driving iron because there is no SR or R option made in that shaft profile. I love that shaft.

So much is about the way the shaft loads and unloads, the kickpoint, how it feels to you and whether it fits your swing. So, I'd like to get more of your thoughts about your swing, before recommending what MIGHT be a good shaft for you.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:42 pm

This is not my strong point so what do I know about my swing:
I'm a 5-6 handicap but I think my swing is below that level and my short game above
My big flaw is bringing the club to the inside - nothing to do with shafts
My distance is better than average - a good regular drive is 230-250 BUT -
I get a lot of roll. I typically like getting help to put the ball higher. Therefore I got the AMT Red for my T200's rather than the black.
I tend to hit a pretty straight ball and more tendency to draw rather than fade
I know that when I've been fit, my swing speed is right on the dividing line between regular and stiff.
The Cobra shaft has served me well - I've achieved good results with that club even if it was off the rack.

Does that help?

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 pm

So that tells me your swing speed is likely over 95 mph. 100ish based on your 230-250 carry number. The type of shaft and your swing characteristics can greatly affect that number.

Actually, bringing the club too far to the inside is a swing fault, but there are shafts which can help you get a better result, simply by the stiffness of the tip, or the amount of torque it has. Generally speaking, too far to the inside can easily cause an over-the-top or out-to-in downswing. But, not always. Would have to see your swing to be sure. I'm surprised you draw the ball with an inside takeaway. I draw the ball with a more outside, left-shoulder-down, straight back takeaway, but drop it inside on the transition. Go figure. Everyone's swing is different.

Obviously, in a fitting, you'd get to try many different style shafts. If you don't go for a shaft fitting, try swinging a TSi 2 or 3 with the Tensei AV Blue shaft off the rack. It might be a good place to start. I'd stay away from the Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black shaft also offered as an option, unless you have a very hard transition. It's a great shaft for those who have the right swing for it. It doesn't sound as if you do based on the limited info you supplied. I am assuming you have a boring ballflight since you mention you get a lot of roll. The HZRDUS won't make it fly any higher. Since you say you'd like help getting a higher trajectory, if you can find a demo at a golf big box store, try the Tensei AV Red version. I know my Golf Galaxy has a Titleist fitting cart you can pull from. Most any decent sized Titleist retailer should as well.

Now, if you are willing to take it up a couple notches, the Ventus Red may really surprise you. A wonderful shaft in the Velocore model. I'd recommend R flex for you in that one. I'd play a stiff in the Red 5 or 6 series and probably a reg, tipped a 1/2" to an inch in a Ventus Blue 6. Those are two great choices for me. My swingspeed is similar to yours. My transition is moderate, my normal tempo is 24/8 with my irons, hybrid and FW, though I tend to use a 27/9 tempo for my driver and get a bit longer distance. Those tempos are based on the Tour Tempo app which measures frames per second on video. If you search google for a You tube video of the app in use, you can see and hear the various tempos played out to see which one is closest to yours (or if yours needs work to get to a better 3/1 tempo, at which point buying the app might be a good idea!).

And if you are interested in really finding a shaft that fits you to a tee, the Graphite Design AD Tour line is as good or better than the Fujikura Ventus line, due to the myriad of options available to fit ones needs exactly. I have my next shaft narrowed down to three options in the Tour AD line, out of a possible 10. Both the Ventus and GD AD Tour line shafts are exotics and costly, but you WILL be able to feel things you've never felt before, with dispersion ratios better than you've ever seen before. Once I put the GD Tour AD UT in my driving iron, I became hooked on their shafts.

If you have specific questions let me know. Whether now or along the way in the process. Hopefully I'll be able to give you some helpful guidance and you will surely get my honest opinion based on the experience I may or may not have had with a particular shaft.

And thanks for asking. You know how much I like to talk gear.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:11 pm

To be clear, 230-250 is total distance. A good carry for me is 200-210. As I said I get a lot of roll. I think my swing speed the last time I checked was 93. Probably a little better now - but according to the guy at the store whatever I was where he started trying stiff shafts and a mph lower was regular. Same thing happened with my t200s - my speed was perfectly on the dividing line.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:18 pm

So I went to Edwin Watts yesterday with a focus on quick replacement so I could use my driver the weekend. I bought a Grafalloy Prolauch Red. The fixit guy, who I've used before, showed me several shafts that he thought would be close to what I had before. Of these I picked this one based upon:
1. Should be slightly stiffer, which should allow me to be a little straighter
2. Should get the ball in the air a little more, which should give me a little distance.

Based upon today's results it was quite good - 9 fairways, seemed like good distances. Real test is tomorrow at my home course - need to be long enough to go after the par 5's, especially one near the end.

Unrelated, or maybe it is related, I've decided to explore upgrading my driver, FWs and hybrids. Going to start with Titleist TSi2 and go from there.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 pm

The ProLaunch Red is a pretty basic shaft in my opinion. I hope you paid no more than $50-$60. It is a higher launch shaft, so you might like it. I would NOT think it is going to help your dispersion much, even in stiff flex. We all have bad swings at times. Bad swings will usually result in poor results. With a better shaft, those results shouldn't be AS poor. On the other hand, if the shaft is a good fit for your swing, negatives should be very limited, if any. Good luck with it.

If you do end up in TSi woods/metals, I think the Tensei AV series (which is a quality shaft with an MSRP of $300, though the street price is fair amount lower) will be a good choice based on your earlier info. It really makes the cost of the driver at $549 seem like a bargain with that level of shaft in it, stock. It is the real McCoy, not a "made for Titleist" version. Try both the reg and stiff flexes. I have no problems with the stiff flex myself, and I may only have a couple/few more MPHs than you with driver. (Well, at least before my present back injury I was a few MPHs faster. Who knows what it will be after I finally recover. I just hope there is an after! I'm not in a good place physically. I know, I know, there I go digressing about me, again.) You will definitely be able to feel much more stability with a Tensei AV Blue (or Red) Tensei over a ProLaunch Red.

Keep us/me updated.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:08 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 pm
The ProLaunch Red is a pretty basic shaft in my opinion.
I hear you Doug but my objective yesterday was only to get the club playable quickly with something close to what I had before. If I was going to use it for many more years I’d probably take a longer look. But I’ve decided that by next Spring I’m going to upgrade to new equipment. So this works.

Hard to tell so far but I do think it’s a little stiffer and higher. Works for now.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 am

DougE wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:13 pm
First off, you don't need a new driver, particularly if you like your present one. Just get a new....or upgraded...shaft. That's easy. I can certainly give you help on that front.

As far as Titleist drivers go, I would highly recommend you get fit properly to get the full benefit of one. I played both the TS2 and the TSi3. Different animals. If you like a bit more forgiveness, the new TSi2 would be a good place to start your search. I play the less forgiving TSi3 for the ability to flight the ball lower and work it a touch easier. I have realized that I don't TYPICALLY NEED the extra forgiveness of the TSi2, though there have been plenty of drives I've wished I'd had it. I do play a TSi2 fairway metal though. Rather than me giving you the whole marketing spiel, you can easily read it here if so inclined:
https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/tsi-metals
Doug needs some activity while he's recovering.

Went to the PGA Superstore last night for a sessions hitting Titleist drivers. Not sure what I thought in the end. Wasn't really swinging that well - tried the TS2 and the TS3. Seemed to hit the TS3 better than the TS2 but it could also be that I hit the TS3 second and started adjusting. Overall results were decent but not earth shaking better compared to what I would expect with my current driver. Lots of research online last night - everything seems to say TS2 would be better for me but I don't know. Will go back soon to test again.

Also thinking about upgrading my second bag irons to T200s to match my main bag - but that's another story.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:03 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 am
Doug needs some activity while he's recovering.

Went to the PGA Superstore last night for a sessions hitting Titleist drivers. Not sure what I thought in the end. Wasn't really swinging that well - tried the TS2 and the TS3. Seemed to hit the TS3 better than the TS2 but it could also be that I hit the TS3 second and started adjusting. Overall results were decent but not earth shaking better compared to what I would expect with my current driver. Lots of research online last night - everything seems to say TS2 would be better for me but I don't know. Will go back soon to test again.

Also thinking about upgrading my second bag irons to T200s to match my main bag - but that's another story.
I love my TSi2, especially paired with the Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:49 pm

@GBOGEY You can't go wrong with the TSi2 driver. Extremely forgiving and one of the top 3 drivers on the market, across the board, scratch to mid-higher cap. I play the TSi3 (rated #1 by MGS)---or at least I did when I could play---and found it to give me a slightly lower ballflight. It is not quite as forgiving, but much easier to turn over. You likely have plenty enough game to benefit from the TSi3, but the 2 will be a monster with the right shaft in it, even on slight mishits.

If you update your 2nd bag to T200s, I would do it with the new 2022 version, which are forged and much more attractive IMO. Put them in your main bag and move the old ones to the back up.

I was about to pull the trigger on a new T100S/T200 combo set just before my injury took me down. If I can get back my old form at some point, I will likely order them, but instead of AMT whites or blacks this time around, I am considering switching to Aerotech Steelfiber i95 shafts. With all my injuries, it might be time to give my body a break. Ugh. It kills me to even think about caving to a (partial) graphite shaft in my irons, but at least I know they are being played by some pretty damn good players on the LPGA and Senior Tours with some success. So, I suppose I could learn to live with the idea. But, getting back to a level at which I can even think about upgrading irons for is a long way off. Gotta have something to work towards. If I can avoid surgery, that will be my next goal.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:02 pm

Ordered a new putter.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm

Nice - I've been banned from buying any more putters since I got my Scotty

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:33 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm
Nice - I've been banned from buying any more putters since I got my Scotty
:rofl

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:00 am

I want to buy something, anything for golf, so badly. It's been way too long. Almost 3 months now.

I think I made progress this week towards a potential return, albeit a questionable one, considering I still may need surgery on my back at any time. Also, I am painfully aware that a return to golf could be short-lived, as a result. Won't know until---if and when---something flares up. Playing golf with that thought overhanging my mind will surely affect my approach to the game. And, not in a good way. Full update in a different thread for anyone who gives a shit.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear about the back issues, Doug.

I'm heading to my annual golf buddy trip next week. Even though I've only played 4 rounds this year, I'm feeling really optimistic about winning the green-ish jacket this year. Why? Because I just bought new golf shoes !!
Everything Sucks

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:26 am

jfurr wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:57 pm
Sorry to hear about the back issues, Doug.

I'm heading to my annual golf buddy trip next week. Even though I've only played 4 rounds this year, I'm feeling really optimistic about winning the green-ish jacket this year. Why? Because I just bought new golf shoes !!
I will be buying new shoes. too. My Footjoy Contour Fit pair have given me wet feet the last couple of dew covered rounds. I bought them on clearance almost 2 years ago for $42. The warranty runs 2 years BUT, I would need to ship the shoes to the retailer and only receive 50% of the current price. If I were going to get 50% of $120, the cost to ship them would be a reasonable expense. I am afraid someone would see the $42 on the receipt and give me a credit of $21, almost less than the shipping cost.

This time, I intend to buy locally so when the shoes inevitably leak, I can drop them off rather than ship them.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:39 am

I had a very small leak where the leather cracked right along the sole on a pair of white/white croc Dryjoys. It was after nearly two years and probably 200 rounds of golf on them. FJ sent me a brand new pair. Free. No shipping cost out to me, but I think I paid to ship them back originally. I enclosed a note, told them I was a FJ loyalist and hoped for the best. Two weeks later, a brand new pair was sitting on my front porch.

(I did not realize Contours had a 2-year guarantee. Is the Contour Fit guarantee different? I should know that since I was a FJ online chat representative for a short time a few years ago. But, I don't without my FJ guidebook next to me.)

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:01 am

DougE wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:39 am
(I did not realize Contours had a 2-year guarantee. Is the Contour Fit guarantee different? I should know that since I was a FJ online chat representative for a short time a few years ago. But, I don't without my FJ guidebook next to me.)
Yes, the edition I purchased had replacement for the first year and 1/2 current price for the second. I have found Footjoy very accommodating with their warranty on leaks. Over the years I must have received a dozen free replacement pairs. Of course, I was walking 100+ rounds a year in all weather so the leaks were inevitable. There was usually some cracking of the leather near where it is fastened to the sole.

I purchased a style/model called "FootJoy Specialty" for $105.95, including tax. They are black with a sneaker looking style. Real leather uppers. White soles with 7 soft spikes. Warranted against leaking for 2 years. "Carl's Golfland" is an institution here in SE Mitten. I decided to buy them there so if I need a warranty adjustment, I can drop them off. The best part is I used $100 of my gift certificate winnings for the purchase.
:yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:44 am

Sorry to break up this Footjoy party. Ms Beef got me a pair of Adidas "GZ21" in Dark Silver Metallic. This is some top of the line shit, nicest shoe I ever put my foot in.

Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am

Finally did it. After fighting tooth and nail to avoid moving to graphite shafts in my irons for the last decade or so (since my last shoulder surgery), to help with all my joint and back issues, I've given in. Kind of. These are not 100% graphite, but close enough, yet give the dampening benefits of all-graphite, with similar dispersion ratios to steel. Very low torque ratings. And, played by some of the best players across all the pro tours, including PGA, LPGA and Champions. There's definitely something special about these shafts. I'm hoping to see some benefits in distance AND less overall pain in my body. I should have them installed by next week.

In the meantime I continue to work on getting my game back in shape after the herniated disk injury (of which is still a big problem) and ultimate 3-month, full-summer layoff. THAT'S the biggest issue right now. Not confident at this point, that will ever be possible. Maybe the shafts will help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.