WTF did you shoot today?

GBOGEY

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:09 pm

My new job comes with some nice occasional golf benefits. Yesterday I shot 88 but I was playing Medinah #3. Absolutely incredibly hard golf course - probably only Whistling Straits has been harder. 6600 yards, narrow fairways, really deep rough. Miss the fairway by a yard and you were hacking it out. Plus most of the pins were tucked away - very little opportunity to roll onto the green - they clearly didn't want anyone normal player going low.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:55 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:09 pm
My new job comes with some nice occasional golf benefits. Yesterday... I was playing Medinah #3.
Nice! And the weather was perfect yesterday in the Great Lakes region. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:46 pm

There's something off with my game - my irons and wedges are awful - almost everything is thin. Don't know what it is, but if tomorrow is another rough round I've decided to take a couple week break from golf. Need to cleanse the mind.

All that said, yesterday was a bucket list day (but a cold and damp one). Played Bluejack National, exclusive course north of Houston designed by Tiger. Supposed to be very Augusta like in that there's little rough, but with the wetness the ball didn't roll that crazy. Still, great fun course, ranked in Golf Digest top 200. Shot a respectable 80 because I hit a bunch of putts and chipped incredibly and several "thins" were to win.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:49 pm

I played in our Monthly Medal yesterday, which is a stableford competition at this time of year. I scored 39 points.

Where do you think I placed (out of 24)?
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:24 pm

JPJ wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:49 pm
I played in our Monthly Medal yesterday, which is a stableford competition at this time of year. I scored 39 points.

Where do you think I placed (out of 24)?

So that's like 3 over par, net, I suppose assuming an 18 index, of which I think is lower than your actual hdcp last time I checked. I don't think that would be good enough for first, but what do I know? Stableford is something in which I am not that well-versed, since we rarely play that format over here on this side of the Pond.

The fact that you even asked the question would lead me to guess that you placed either first or 24th.

Either way, good to hear from you JPJ.

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:41 am

DougE wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:24 pm
So that's like 3 over par, net, I suppose assuming an 18 index, of which I think is lower than your actual hdcp last time I checked...
Ah yes, fair point, so for full context, I was getting 32 shots (from my HI of 30).
DougE wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:24 pm
...Stableford is something in which I am not that well-versed, since we rarely play that format over here on this side of the Pond...
Really? This I did not know!

Okay, so a quick reminder would be:
Net Bogey = 1 point
Net Par = 2 points
Net Birdie = 3 points
etc.

So net par over 18 holes would score you 36 points.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:59 am

I'm familiar with the scoring, but have never actually played in a formal Stableford tournament. Admittedly, I'm not really sure how good your score should stack up. So tell us, where did you place?

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:08 am

Well, in our old guy tournaments, our 4th Flight has about 25 players. In 14 one day tournaments, the winning scores ranged from -8 to +4 with most in the -3 to -5 range. Of course, our guys can take a "9" on a hole whereas in Stableford a blowup hole is just -0- points, yes? Still, someone shooting a net -4 probably did not have too many blowup holes.

39 points ... a tie for 5th.

Net competitions usually require a low score because someone almost always has a great day. When we have a 4th flight winner with a +4 net score, either the weather was crappy or we set the course up too hard.

Finally, nice of you, @JPJ , to stop by. As @DougE said, Stableford is only played as change of pace at private clubs in the USA. I have never played a Stableford tournament in nearly 60 years of golf.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

JPJ

Post by JPJ » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Superb guess, BK. I came 4th.

I failed to score on only one hole (the 14th, which is Stroke Index 6).

Two others also scored 39 points. The winner scored 41.