WTF did you buy today?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:53 am

Kia a solid brand IMO, plus they put on one of the better tournaments in women's golf. I am going to test drive their EV soon as it's out, it looks like a contender. Kia might be the lowest-key car brand out there. Doesn't excite but doesn't offend either. They just sort of blend in which I consider a great quality. Most people aren't looking for attention for their vehicle.
Build a bridge and get over it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:49 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:53 am
Kia a solid brand IMO, plus they put on one of the better tournaments in women's golf. I am going to test drive their EV soon as it's out, it looks like a contender. Kia might be the lowest-key car brand out there. Doesn't excite but doesn't offend either. They just sort of blend in which I consider a great quality. Most people aren't looking for attention for their vehicle.
I'm not all in on EV's until they can get a lot better range and more charging stations around here.

I'm really starting to like it and I hear you on low key. If I want something to draw attention, I'm building it and it'll be loud, fast and unusual.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:39 am

DougE wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 am
Finally did it. After fighting tooth and nail to avoid moving to graphite shafts in my irons for the last decade or so (since my last shoulder surgery), to help with all my joint and back issues, I've given in. Kind of. These are not 100% graphite, but close enough, yet give the dampening benefits of all-graphite, with similar dispersion ratios to steel. Very low torque ratings. And, played by some of the best players across all the pro tours, including PGA, LPGA and Champions. There's definitely something special about these shafts. I'm hoping to see some benefits in distance AND less overall pain in my body. I should have them installed by next week.

In the meantime I continue to work on getting my game back in shape after the herniated disk injury (of which is still a big problem) and ultimate 3-month, full-summer layoff. THAT'S the biggest issue right now. Not confident at this point, that will ever be possible. Maybe the shafts will help.
Hey those are the same exact shafts I've been gaming in my Mizzy MP-64's for the past 8 yrs! If they're good enough for cheapskate Kuch, they're good enough for you and me, Doug. I got em because of tennis elbow in my right arm from beating too many balls.

Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:41 am

@Duke of Hazards It has taken me a bit of time to get comfortable with the new Steelfibers, but I am finally seeing some more consistency, now that my swing is somewhat back to normal after being on the DL for 3 1/2 months. Unfortunately, I can't really say for sure I feel obvious added distance with them, since we are now into wind and cold season, robbing everyone of distance. So, I can only guess that under normal conditions (no wind/78*), I will see a few extra yards on well struck iron shots. Certainly, I haven't lost any distance with the short irons, even in the cold. So, I'm still hopeful for a few more yards overall in the spring.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that my shoulder irritation after a day playing or practicing seems much better of late. :yess

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:04 am

2 weeks ago, added new Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 5S driver shaft: https://proschoicegolfshafts.com/tour-a ... od-shafts/

1 week ago, added new Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S 3-wood shaft: https://proschoicegolfshafts.com/tour-a ... od-shafts/

So far, I like them both. Can really see a difference in spin (or lack thereof), even in the wind.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:35 pm

I bought into a "range membership" at Soule Park GC. For $117 I get two any size buckets per day plus 50% off twilight, for 90 days. Okay I know this is far from a real golf club membership, but still for the first time in my life I have a sense of belonging at a golf facility. It has changed my whole outlook.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:38 pm

It's a good start. Sounds like you're on your way to playing some real golf soon. I look forward to hearing all about it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:49 am

Received my Sub 70 949 Pro 2 hybrid yesterday. I might even get off my arse and go to a range.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:12 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:35 pm
... Okay I know this is far from a real golf club membership, ...
Just the first step on the road to membership at Cypress Point and reading the WSJ on the clubhouse's veranda. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:41 am

Just totaled up the numbers for 2021 of what I bought or paid for, golf-related. Here's the breakdown:

Memberships: $1641 ($1500 of which is the yearly breakdown of my 5-year membership, paid upfront.)
Cart Fees: $0 (Carts included with membership)
Equipment/Gear: $2782
Clothing: $1318
Day Trip Greens Fees: $259 (Played 15 local courses, but got many fees comped for one reason or another.)
Destination Golf Trips: $0
Instruction: $151
Tournament Fees: $0 (Injuries kept me from playing much serious golf this year.)
Miscellaneous: $586 (Includes my Theragun Elite, which is the best golf investment of my year!)

Grand Total: $6737

How'd everyone else do?

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:42 am

$2,315 according to my expense spreadsheet. That is a bit high because there are times I pay for a foursome online and get reimbursed by the guys in cash. I took a "frustration hiatus" from tracking scores and stats from roughly 5/1 to 8/1 so I do not have an accurate count of rounds played. My guess would be just shy of 100.

I don't breakout equipment expenses but I did not have any significant purchases this year. Much of the cost of shoes, gloves and balls comes from my tournament winnings (around $500 the past year).

@DougE , we have said it before but that is one sweet deal you have at your course. Our local muni offers a pass with cart for $1,495 but the courses are not comparable. Plus, there is no range at Leslie.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:37 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:42 am

@DougE , we have said it before but that is one sweet deal you have at your course. Our local muni offers a pass with cart for $1,495 but the courses are not comparable. Plus, there is no range at Leslie.
Yes, it is quite the deal, no question. Before I had that deal, I spent $3000 a year on membership, PLUS another $2000 or so on cart fees! Unfortunately, my "Preferred Platinum Plus" contract ends at the end of 2022 and I'm not sure what to do next. After paying so little for carte blanche at one of the nicest (and toughest) courses in MD, I admit, I am spoiled. Yet, that level of membership is no longer offered. Nor, do I have the financial freedom to afford the upfront cost again, even if it was.

One option was to work at Worthington to get me basically the same cart blanche privileges, but I accepted an offer to work in the pro shop at another course down the road, which IMO is not quite at the same level as WM. (I start there on Monday.) And who knows how that will work out by the end of 2022, or whether I'll still be there. So for now, I am taking it one day at a time, keeping my eyes and ears open for ways to extend my ability to play and practice everyday for free once my membership deal is over.

By the way, I got in at the ground floor on that deal 4 years ago. I was the 2nd member to sign up. The price went up a thousand bucks the following year, but eventually they stopped offering it altogether. They realized they'd shot themselves in the foot when weekend morning tee sheets were full of all-inclusive members only. They were losing out on all the $100+ per golfer greens fees they would otherwise be getting at that time. :facepalm

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:12 pm

My guess would be around $3000 for the year. Membership and trip to Alabama RTJ trail. Several rounds around the area. No equipment, balls, tees, etc.

There are virtually no courses anywhere that include carts with membership. So most members walk. I walk. All my regular playing partners walk. Too bad there are no real options.
Tee it up!

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:34 am

Membership $100 (unlimited golf walking)
TSi2 Driver $80
Putter $160
Balls $150
Lessons $380
Greens Fess - traveling $500

About $1400 all up.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:58 am

MattF wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:34 am
Speaking of great deals . :yess
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:43 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:58 am
MattF wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:34 am
Speaking of great deals . :yess
Yeah, it's pretty insane. No idea what they're going to do for the next one but I'm pushing for a tiered system, more $ = more benefits.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:20 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:35 pm
I bought into a "range membership" at Soule Park GC. For $117 I get two any size buckets per day plus 50% off twilight, for 90 days. Okay I know this is far from a real golf club membership, but still for the first time in my life I have a sense of belonging at a golf facility. It has changed my whole outlook.
That's a pretty good deal, similar to what many of the American Golf run facilities are doing around here. Everybody going subscription based for that sweet steady cash flow.

I think I spent about $3k for the year, mostly all daily green fees (been playing every Sun morning on a course rotation), averages about $65 or so per round.

Other than that, just a few golf gloves and some balls (I love Bridgestone Tour B XS (aka Tiger's Ball), if I find a good ebay deal (recycled).... and the Kirkland Signatures if I happen down that aisle on Costco runs).
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:41 am

Went into town and browsed the golf section at Dick's. They had what I needed--those long thin sticks used for alignment (and marking driveways in deep snow). I had looked for them at my local pro shop but no dice. "Nobody asks for them?!" Nope! I guess people in this area are not super serious about hitting the ball on their intended target line. Well I am. There is a gong at the range, 150 yards out, that I am trying hard to hit.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:40 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:41 am
Went into town and browsed the golf section at Dick's. They had what I needed--those long thin sticks used for alignment (and marking driveways in deep snow). I had looked for them at my local pro shop but no dice. "Nobody asks for them?!" Nope! I guess people in this area are not super serious about hitting the ball on their intended target line. Well I am. There is a gong at the range, 150 yards out, that I am trying hard to hit.

Around here you can buy them at the hardware store cheaper..but I guess where there's no snow, there's no need for driveway markers.