WTF did you shoot today?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:53 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 6:38 pm

+7 on the front, -1 on the back, +6/76. My worst and my best led to an average round.
:up Nice comeback. Comebacks are so much more satisfying than fast starts that crap out.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:57 pm

Tournament #4. It was at a course I have played many times. In theory I should have played well but I shot a very mediocre "84". It was not a total disaster but very unsatisfying. :fkno
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:26 pm

We played today at 9:30. We had a shit load of rain in the past 24 hours and it just stopped as we teed off. Really soggy conditions and I played miserably for the first nine (47, including a "9" on the 9th hole par 5). A mental kick in the ass and my attitude was adjusted. Played the 2nd nine in +1, 37, including a birdie on the last hole to seal a win for my team (play 6/6/6 with rotating partners).
Let's Play 36

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:28 am

Haven't been playing as much golf as normal due to the job. Maybe only 2-3 times a week. I had been feeling as if I was losing my short game touch, and my driver was all over the place, with no consistency whatsoever to my swing. One day good, the next horrible. As much as I love the Pro Shop job, my golf was suffering. You just can't expect to play to a high level when you don't practice and play nearly every day. And that has been showing in my game this year.

Last Sunday evening, after work, I carded another mediocre 42 on the front nine, but I felt my game was sharper for some reason. The conditions were set to US Open Qualifier levels, with thick rough, firm fairways and tough pin locations on very slick greens, which resulted in an extra stroke or two, but otherwise, I played it well. Found a driver swing I could count on and had crisp iron shots which were mostly on target. Figured the speed of the greens out on the front and went out on the back and shot and even par 36 for a total of 78. Played from 6500-6600y tees. I've had a few lower scores this year in less difficult conditions, but this 78 felt a lot better and was much more satisfying.

Trying to back it up two days later, and fully expecting to flop on my face, I went out on Tuesday. Whatever was working on Sunday WAS STILL THERE on Tuesday. This time, carded a 76! (39/37.) Don't remember ever carding a 78/76 in back to back rounds at Worthington Manor, one of the toughest courses in the Mid-Atlantic region. How do I keep this going? I'm off from work tomorrow, so I'll be shooting for three good rounds in a row. I'm being realistic, though. This is golf.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:14 am

3rd round this week resulted in a not as satisfying, more sloppily-played, 79 to follow up my 78 and 76. Ballstriking wasn't as sharp, but still managed to hit 11 greens. 2 penalties (drives into hazards) and a three putt (on a par 3 from about 20 feet) did me in. Overall though, I've had a good game working this week. May try to sneak in one more late today with my eyes on an all 70s, quadruple sweep.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:51 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:14 am
May try to sneak in one more late today with my eyes on an all 70s, quadruple sweep.
:thumbs
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:55 am

Unfortunately, course was ridiculously packed, even at 4:30 pm when I made my attempt at four (70s) in a row. After a 41 on the front, waiting on every hole, I was losing focus. I gave up when I came upon the group in front of us waiting for the group in front of them to tee off on the 10th. Keeping any sort of rhythm would be impossible on the back nine. So, I went home and took my wife to dinner for her birthday, instead.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:29 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:55 am
... So, I went home and took my wife to dinner for her birthday, instead.
Best "shot" of the month. :up
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am

Been out the last 2 mornings. Got to the course at 7 and they let me out in front of everyone. Shot a 42/40 82 yesterday in 2:35 and a 42/37 79 in 2:47 this morning.

I'll be out there again tomorrow and Friday.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:14 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:55 am
Unfortunately, course was ridiculously packed, even at 4:30 pm when I made my attempt at four (70s) in a row. After a 41 on the front, waiting on every hole, I was losing focus. I gave up when I came upon the group in front of us waiting for the group in front of them to tee off on the 10th. Keeping any sort of rhythm would be impossible on the back nine. So, I went home and took my wife to dinner for her birthday, instead.
Dougie, know that this is a safe space to talk about such matters. But I gotta wonder out loud, what would have become of Mrs E's birthday had the golf course not been packed with doofuses. :breaking
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:40 pm

We would have gone a different night. We don't typically make a big deal about birthdays. So, the fact that I came up with the plan to take her last minute got me extra credit. I even got her a card!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:39 pm

I have struggled some this season. My driving was inconsistent where once it had been my strength. Iron play, always shakey, was even worse than normal. Wedges and short game were also a real liability. Then only thing I did well, at times, was putt. :fkno

There had been some glimmers of hope recently. We played a 4 person team best ball at a local par three course. 7 teams put together by handicap so every team had a spread of players. I thought about withdrawing because 18 iron/wedge shots as the supposed "A" player could be embarrassing. Ultimately I decided, WTF, and played. In fact, I kept our team from imploding. Tee shot after tee shot found the green and my putting was good enough to record lots of pars and a few birdies for the team. Of course we finished last because my teammates hung a bunch of 5's on the scorecard. Still, I felt good about my iron play.

So today was the test. Pierce Lake at 7:10am. We started on 10 and I made my customary bogey 6. Then I settled down and made the turn to #1 at "40". I shot a 37 on the second nine for a 77. Best score this year. Is this the beginning of a good month of golf or just a teaser? Time will tell.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:34 am

I was feeling frisky and decided to play Hudson Mills at 6,339 yards (Par 71). I was playing well until it started to rain at #13 and I began to misfire a bit. Stumbled in at 81 but there were definite positives. Distance was not an issue.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:59 pm

Finally had some decent scores over the weekend but not without some drama. Saturday at a course with really tough greens I shot 76/+4/5.7. It occurred to me after eight holes that I was playing well and that if I could scramble I'd be playing really well. So on the par 5 9th I was green side in two and thought here comes a birdie scramble. Except I chunked the chip. Then I chipped to three feet to save par.
The next chip came on 11 - no issues this time as I chipped in for birdie. In great position for a great score, I three putted #13, #14, and #15. Not totally shameful as each time I was around 40 feet from the hole and had to cross a big swale. Every par putt missed by about two inches with two of them breaking against the grain (for the day I had six putts that looked in a foot from the hole that missed).
Now in a worse position on #16 which usually gets me, I instead hit a perfect drive and then a wedge to two feet to make birdie.

On Sunday an ugly triple on #4 put me at +4 early, but I played solidly there on in. Shot 76 / +6 / 6.1 and easily could have been 4-5 shots better.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:28 pm

Two Stories from yesterday - went to play 9 after work and starting on #10
#10 - Wedge to 4 feet - lipped the putt but pretty sure something was wrong with the way the hole was cut - I hit 5 or 6 more putts and anything right of dead center the ball took a funny dip right at the hole and then lipped out.
#11 - Huge drive and was 3 clubs shorted than usual, hit a wedge to 4 feet - made it this time
#12 - Another huge drive but leaked last minute into a bunker near the lip. Thought I could get to the green without hitting the lip but was wrong. My ball ended up in the rough 60 yards from the hole. From there I hit a wedge to 4 INCHES - par saved.
#13 - short hole probably playing 305, almost drove the green and had 35 yards to the hole. Really nice pitch to 5 feet, missed the putt again, this time my fault.
#14 - Another huge drive - had 95 yards instead of the usual 135-150. Nice wedge to green but sadly 30 feet from hole. Routine two putt.

Obviously I haven't had many starts like that one. The next story is on #15 par 5. Hit a drive down the left side but to a point where a ball that seems left usually ends up on the edge of the fairway. I get down the fairway and not only is my ball in the fairway but it's a good 15 yards to the right of what I expected. Took my 5W and hit a great shot to be on the green in two. As I was walking towards the hole I see a guy coming over from the adjacent fairway looking for his ball. Oh shit it occurs to me - I go back and sure enough I find my ball at the exact distance as his ball was but 15 yards left buried in deep rough. I apologized to the guy and told him his ball was sitting on the 15th green - he was not amused but understood - I don't think I've ever done that before. The real feel temp was like 110 and at this point my pushcart is 50 yards ahead of me on the hole. So I decided to hit 5W from the rough instead of getting a proper club. That shot ended up behind a tree leading to a punch out, wedge to 12 feet, and par putt that just missed. I'm convinced I would have made par if I'd been willing to get the right club.
Bogeyed #16 as well and ended +1 for 9 holes. But I also gained a nice new ProV1 that can hit a green from 200 yards!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:33 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:28 pm
...The next story is on #15 par 5. Hit a drive down the left side but to a point where a ball that seems left usually ends up on the edge of the fairway. I get down the fairway and not only is my ball in the fairway but it's a good 15 yards to the right of what I expected. Took my 5W and hit a great shot to be on the green in two. As I was walking towards the hole I see a guy coming over from the adjacent fairway looking for his ball. Oh shit it occurs to me - I go back and sure enough I find my ball at the exact distance as his ball was but 15 yards left buried in deep rough. I apologized to the guy and told him his ball was sitting on the 15th green - he was not amused but understood - I don't think I've ever done that before...
Well, I just did it a week ago. We were playing a team game on an 18 hole par 3 course. I and a fellow teammate pulled our tee shots into a bunker on the left. He got there first. Assessed the situation and blasted out. I went in an hit out. Turns out he hit mine and since I assumed he knew what he was doing, I hit his. :facepalm We both recorded "6" for that par 3.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:02 pm

It seems like my game knows when 20 rounds are up. Just when my handicap was set to skyrocket two strong rounds come out of nowhere- maybe my game just likes intense heat.

Last weekend 74/+4/5.2. Really solid round that could have been better. On the positive, only missed four fairways but made par all four times. One was just a basic ball in the rough with a bad angle from 180, but the others were through and around trees including a through the trees hybrid from 190 to fifteen feet above the hole. Quite dandy.

On the negative, I don’t think I’ve ever had a score like that and bogeyed all three par 5’s, which should be about the easiest holes on the course. And was in the middle of the fairway on all three with a chance to reach in two on two of them.

Yesterday was a super solid 72/+2/3.2. The highlight was that I avoided the distraction of my playing partners, a lovely young couple where he was a rough golfer at best and she, while being very athletic, was a very inexperienced golfer. But she was also wearing an outfit that would rival Paige S. and she had the goods to wear it. Never seen so many golfers on other holes stop and watch my group play.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:57 pm

I have not had much to brag about. Today that ends. Saturday I shot a very steady 75 on a very easy layout. The differential was 8.6 so one can see we were talking short and open. My 71 net only got me in a 5 way tie for 5th place.

Today everything was clicking. Yes, there were a few substandard shots but never 2 in a row. 73. 2.9 differential. I was so close to an even par round it still hurts a little. I never made any bombs and my three birdie putts averaged around 8 feet. It was hot, sunny and breezy (15 mph or so - a club). Only 4 over my age so maybe that might occur sometime in the future.

Note: Today (7/21) we had a group of about 40. We "played it forward" so I played from around 5,400 yards. Shot 71 with 4 birdies and an "eagle" (short enough so I could hit a really good drive and then a 4 iron). My handicap allowance for the mini-tournament was 3 so my net of 68 did not win anything. But...they did a blind 2-person best ball. My 20 handicap partner played well and we had a net best ball score of 59, which won each of us a $75 gift certificate.

The only problem is all this is messing up my handicap. I was getting used to a 10.6 index. I am down to 8.8 and sinking fast. :fkno
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:26 am

@bkuehn1952 keep making that score for 5 more years. That should be your goal. I'd love to see it.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:19 am

I have been struggling the last couple months but have turned it around. Some minor tweaks from our club pro has given me some new hope. Low to mid 70’s last few rounds. Hitting some greens and making a few birdies. Funny how the golf swing suddenly disappears and can’t seem to fix it.

The hybrid tees are what I play here at Mulligans Point. 6000 yds. Typically I post silver tee as Skygolf doesn’t recognize hybrid. Over the last couple years they have added some bunkers and strategically Inserted a few water hazards (ponds )at several holes eliminating bail out areas therefore changing the dynamics. They have narrowed the fairways by ten yards on all. This along with heavy tree lined fairways, thick rough and elevated greens makes this place tough. Supposed to re rate next month.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:41 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:19 am
but have turned it around ...
Good to hear you are still kicking butt in Delaware. It seems like the warmer & drier weather has rejuvenated our golf games. :up
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:45 pm

After a lackluster April-June, I've played extremely well in July with six consecutive strong rounds before this weekend. My weekend goal was +6/76 +7/79, although I really wanted +5/75 +5/77.

Yesterday I was really good ... for 10 holes. I birdied 10 to go to +1, but then my iron game left me. I bogeyed two of 11-13 to go to +3, all short par 4's. On #14, again a short iron miss to in front of the green. Knowing I really needed an up and down, I told myself to get it close - and I did - chipped in for birdie. On #15, a short par 5, I hit my drive further right than ever before - had to hit a nice 7i over the trees to get back to the fairway and put me in position to save par. Two more bad irons led to bogeys on 16 and 17, and a third left me with a tricky down hill chip. Hit it perfect, but it lipped out leaving me with an easy par for 74/+4/5.2.

Today started similar - birdied 12 to move to +2 and was playing really well. The front nine highlight was a buried lie on #4 which I chipped to a lip out for an easy par. After 12 my game left me again - three straight crappy drives and a par 3 miss led to 2 DB's and 2 bogeys - now +8. On #17 par 5, another missed fairway led to a 3H which got caught in the rough, and then a 6i miss to the green. The ball was 30 yards from the flag behind a mound, I could only see the top of the flag. My only option was to lob the ball to the edge of the green and hope for a slow roll down to the hole. The minute I hit it I knew it was good - I ran up the hill to watch it slowly work its way to the hole and then go in for birdie.

#18 another bad drive to under a tree on a bare lie. I tried to run a 6i up to the hole but it stopped just before the green. With about 15 yards to the hole, I said to myself, this one really isn't that hard and you should get it close. And I did and in again for another birdie. Decent round after all, 78/+6/7.4.

Three chip-ins in two rounds - I think that may be a first for me.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:11 am

:thumbs Chip ins always feel like one has been given a gift. Well done.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:53 pm

Rock solid 73 yesterday - 12 GIRs, 10 of 13 fairways, a couple of swings that were like "that's going to be really good." Only complaint was on the wicked #18 - hit a great drive and then thought I hit a great iron to a pin on the back top tier but somehow it went long and went to a bogey.

Not sure what to think about my putting - made two 18 footers for birdie, can't complain about that, but had 9 putts in the 5-10 foot range - made only 1.