Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

DougE
dogs: 1

Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am

Don't we have an equipment thread here? I couldn't find it. In any case, here's my column for the week.

As some, or all, of you may have seen if you spent any time on MGS or WRX over the last week, Titleist has started Tour validation testing of their next generation of irons and hybrids, beginning at the US Open, with more this week at the Travelers Championship. There are already a few in play. As your resident Titleist representative and diehard loyalist, it pains me to say that I am UN-impressed! At least, so far. :bored

I knew through my contacts that the new irons were going to be announced about a month ago and also that the AP line of irons---the most successful in their history---would be getting a new nomenclature. I was excited to see what the replacements for the AP2 and AP3 lines would look like, with hopes for a better blended set than I have now, or possibly even a full set of the AP3 replacements, if it was a forged version. My AP2s are forged and I absolutely love their feel and control, but the AP3s are not, though I absolutely love their distance. So a newly named set that offered the forged feel and accuracy of the AP2 with the distance of the AP3 was going to be exactly what I was looking for. (No problem working either version left or right.)

What I did not consider, even for a moment, was that the look of the new irons would be anything less than beautiful. Boy, was I surprised when I saw the first pics of the T200 (and T300) series last week. Initially, I saw pics of the T100 which seemed very similar in look to the previous AP2 718, which I like very much. (The T100 replaces the AP2 going forward.) But, on Friday, I got my first glimpse of the new AP3 replacement, the T200. I took one look and said WTF?

Looks like something TM would do. Gimmicky. :fk

There is a sort of spent shell casing type stamp on the back of the club with "MaxImpact" in a circular design located near the center of gravity. I don't yet know the purpose, but it had better be there for some awesome reason or I will have a hard time bagging these clubs, as I had been planning to do. And interestingly, that stamping is only on the 4-7 irons. The short irons do not have it. They look much more appealing to my eye than the 4-7. Also, my hopes for a forged T-200 were also dashed. Nope. :nope

So now, I am waiting to hear about all the new technology in the new irons to help me get on board and then finally a fitting with Titleist. If in the end, they feel and perform better than the AP3s, I suppose I will put them in the bag. I just hope the bullet stamp will grow on me. On the other hand, I do like the look of the AP2 replacement, the T100. However, the whole point to move over to a complete set of T200s was for a little more forgiveness on off center strikes, something that happens a little more often as age creeps in.

And, by the way, the T300, the replacement for the AP1 (their game improvement iron) is butt-ugly IMO :puke . The AP1-718 was actually the nicest looking AP1 iteration they ever made. What happened?

I sure hope, after more info comes out on the technology of all the busy-ness on the backs of the T200 and T300, I will be able learn to love them too. For now I can only be cautiously optimistic that there is a good method to their madness.

Or maybe the problem is me. I just don't embrace sudden drastic change like the youngsters do. Yes, that must be it! These irons were designed for the new millennials. Not old traditionalists, like me. Guess I will have to get with it.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/gol ... our-launch
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1 ... t200-irons

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 am

26.46 - Current stock price of Acushnet. My expectations are for it to be down 5-10% at days end thanks to this post.

Legal disclaimer: This post is in jest, don't take my investing advice seriously, I am down $250k and in last place in an investing game I'm currently playing this year.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

I have to agree for Titleist those aren't the prettiest.

When do they release new wedges / when will the SM7 have a slight discount to clear them out - time for new wedges.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:28 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

When do they release new wedges / when will the SM7 have a slight discount to clear them out - time for new wedges.
Typically released for sale every two years, in shops in late winter. Last release was the SM7, March 8 2018. I would expect similar timing for the next iteration. I will also be curious to see how much influence Aaron Gill has on the new ones (Bob Vokey's mini me very experienced protege).

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Yeah, they're not quite as nice looking, but I wasn't shocked or nothing. Like you said, Titleist has to move forward performance-wise or get left in the dust. Lots of manufacturers using weighted inserts now. I'm no TM guy, but I'd hesitate to call what TM and other manufacturers do 'gimmicky'. The marketing maybe (the bullshit buzzwords like 'MaxImpact' or 'Turbulators' do tend to annoy, I'd agree w/ you there), but all these companies are pushing against the restrictions/limits with some hardcore engineering.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 am
26.46 - Current stock price of Acushnet. My expectations are for it to be down 5-10% at days end thanks to this post.

Legal disclaimer: This post is in jest, don't take my investing advice seriously, I am down $250k and in last place in an investing game I'm currently playing this year.
So it looks like the day's high was 2 hours after Doug's post. It's been down hill since then. I assume based on this graph there was a spike in the viewership of this thread around the 2:30 time.
Attachments
GOLF.jpg
GOLF.jpg (110.85 KiB) Viewed 70 times
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Yep, that's the reason for the drop in stock price. No question. All me.