Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

DougE
dogs: 1

Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 am

Don't we have an equipment thread here? I couldn't find it. In any case, here's my column for the week.

As some, or all, of you may have seen if you spent any time on MGS or WRX over the last week, Titleist has started Tour validation testing of their next generation of irons and hybrids, beginning at the US Open, with more this week at the Travelers Championship. There are already a few in play. As your resident Titleist representative and diehard loyalist, it pains me to say that I am UN-impressed! At least, so far. :bored

I knew through my contacts that the new irons were going to be announced about a month ago and also that the AP line of irons---the most successful in their history---would be getting a new nomenclature. I was excited to see what the replacements for the AP2 and AP3 lines would look like, with hopes for a better blended set than I have now, or possibly even a full set of the AP3 replacements, if it was a forged version. My AP2s are forged and I absolutely love their feel and control, but the AP3s are not, though I absolutely love their distance. So a newly named set that offered the forged feel and accuracy of the AP2 with the distance of the AP3 was going to be exactly what I was looking for. (No problem working either version left or right.)

What I did not consider, even for a moment, was that the look of the new irons would be anything less than beautiful. Boy, was I surprised when I saw the first pics of the T200 (and T300) series last week. Initially, I saw pics of the T100 which seemed very similar in look to the previous AP2 718, which I like very much. (The T100 replaces the AP2 going forward.) But, on Friday, I got my first glimpse of the new AP3 replacement, the T200. I took one look and said WTF?

Looks like something TM would do. Gimmicky. :fk

There is a sort of spent shell casing type stamp on the back of the club with "MaxImpact" in a circular design located near the center of gravity. I don't yet know the purpose, but it had better be there for some awesome reason or I will have a hard time bagging these clubs, as I had been planning to do. And interestingly, that stamping is only on the 4-7 irons. The short irons do not have it. They look much more appealing to my eye than the 4-7. Also, my hopes for a forged T-200 were also dashed. Nope. :nope

So now, I am waiting to hear about all the new technology in the new irons to help me get on board and then finally a fitting with Titleist. If in the end, they feel and perform better than the AP3s, I suppose I will put them in the bag. I just hope the bullet stamp will grow on me. On the other hand, I do like the look of the AP2 replacement, the T100. However, the whole point to move over to a complete set of T200s was for a little more forgiveness on off center strikes, something that happens a little more often as age creeps in.

And, by the way, the T300, the replacement for the AP1 (their game improvement iron) is butt-ugly IMO :puke . The AP1-718 was actually the nicest looking AP1 iteration they ever made. What happened?

I sure hope, after more info comes out on the technology of all the busy-ness on the backs of the T200 and T300, I will be able learn to love them too. For now I can only be cautiously optimistic that there is a good method to their madness.

Or maybe the problem is me. I just don't embrace sudden drastic change like the youngsters do. Yes, that must be it! These irons were designed for the new millennials. Not old traditionalists, like me. Guess I will have to get with it.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/gol ... our-launch
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1 ... t200-irons

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 am

26.46 - Current stock price of Acushnet. My expectations are for it to be down 5-10% at days end thanks to this post.

Legal disclaimer: This post is in jest, don't take my investing advice seriously, I am down $250k and in last place in an investing game I'm currently playing this year.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

I have to agree for Titleist those aren't the prettiest.

When do they release new wedges / when will the SM7 have a slight discount to clear them out - time for new wedges.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:28 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

When do they release new wedges / when will the SM7 have a slight discount to clear them out - time for new wedges.
Typically released for sale every two years, in shops in late winter. Last release was the SM7, March 8 2018. I would expect similar timing for the next iteration. I will also be curious to see how much influence Aaron Gill has on the new ones (Bob Vokey's mini me very experienced protege).

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Yeah, they're not quite as nice looking, but I wasn't shocked or nothing. Like you said, Titleist has to move forward performance-wise or get left in the dust. Lots of manufacturers using weighted inserts now. I'm no TM guy, but I'd hesitate to call what TM and other manufacturers do 'gimmicky'. The marketing maybe (the bullshit buzzwords like 'MaxImpact' or 'Turbulators' do tend to annoy, I'd agree w/ you there), but all these companies are pushing against the restrictions/limits with some hardcore engineering.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 am
26.46 - Current stock price of Acushnet. My expectations are for it to be down 5-10% at days end thanks to this post.

Legal disclaimer: This post is in jest, don't take my investing advice seriously, I am down $250k and in last place in an investing game I'm currently playing this year.
So it looks like the day's high was 2 hours after Doug's post. It's been down hill since then. I assume based on this graph there was a spike in the viewership of this thread around the 2:30 time.
Attachments
GOLF.jpg
GOLF.jpg (110.85 KiB) Viewed 538 times
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Yep, that's the reason for the drop in stock price. No question. All me.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Well, I have learned to accept the look of the new T200s. Actually, in person, they look a thousand percent better. I am still not a fan of the Max Impact stamp. The good news is, it is only on the 7-4 irons. It is not part of the wedge-8 iron back design, thankfully. In fact, the new T200 heads are smaller than the AP3s, surprisingly, with even a thinner topline. And actually quite appealing to my eye.

I'm scheduled for a Titleist Thursdays iron fitting tomorrow to test out the T100s and T200s, as well as the new TS hybrids and the new U-series utility irons. I will be comparing the T200 7-4 irons against my present 7-4 AP3s once the fitter finds me the best shaft. If the AP3s stand up to the T200s, I may keep the 4-7 AP3s and just switch out the bottom end of my irons with either T200s or T100s. I will also test the new Titleist U-500 utility iron as a possible replacement for my 4i. If the fitting goes well, I will likely order new short irons and quite possibly a full set from W-4i withing a few weeks, so I can get used to them this season. I also expect to replace my 818H1 19* hybrid soon too. Gonna be an expensive fall season this year.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:50 pm

I should buy some shares of GOLF right now, before Doug gets in on the action.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Just got fit. Man I suck when I need to perform for the launch monitor. I am far better on a golf course. Either way, I identified some swing flaws, which I need to fix. Now! Actually, the launch monitor identified them. I thought my swing was perfectly fine beforehand.

The Titleist T200s will be in my bag soon though. Specs virtually same as before, except fitter suggested I try +1/2" length, standard lie (which is a change from my previous 1 degree up lie.) AMT Black stiff and regular had similar results, but decided on R, since I ain't getting any younger.

I have to admit, the T-200s look fantastic in person. Far better than the pics. Really nice compact profile at address and the topline is very thin. As thin or even thinner than my AP2s. So, I have no complaints on the looks of them, particularly in the shorter irons.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:42 pm

why the +1/2" in length? Does that make sense?

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:01 pm

I hit both standard and half inch longer and my numbers were slightly better with longer. Not necessarily my distance numbers. My ideal path numbers. I'm not sure I'll add the extra 1/2 inch yet. I want to get some coaching first before I order. Need to get shallower. I was very shallow last year, drawing the ball even too much at times, but something has changed. Could it be my sore back? My tendinitis? Who knows. So back to the drawing board, I guess. This is why I don't like launch monitors. They make me think too much and second guess what I feel. I like to play simply by feel and by what I see the ball actually do in real life.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Excited for you Doug. When do you get to put them in play?
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 am

The quick answer:
Probably within a week of ordering them. I just want to work a few swing issues out before I decide on standard length or +1/2.

Plus, the typical DougE, long-winded answer:
I'm also not sure what to do about my 4 iron. I had wanted to spend time trying TS3 Hybrid vs. T200 4 iron vs. the new U•510 Power Utility 4 iron, but ran out of time. Had a free hour (which was supposed to be only 45 minutes) with fitter.

Just as well. No need to decide now anyway. I'll get the new T200s, W thru 5 iron, and keep my AP3 4 iron in the bag for now. It was set up differently than the rest of my AP3s anyway, with a Kuro Kage TiNi 85 graphite shaft in it. Over the off season, I'll try the other options and pick the best one for my game in the spring. I'll need to pay off the irons in the meantime anyway. Those suckers are expensive. Ouch!

I've developed a good relationship with the newest pro at my club, who is bringing more Titleist stuff into the shop this year. He's going to sell the T200s to me at well below retail, but still likely over $1K for the set of 7 irons. He's got to make at least some money. Looks like they will retail for $175 per iron.

I'll have 0% financing on the irons, but will need to clear the balance up quickly. The new SM8 wedges should be coming out in March! I'm in dire need. My SM7s are pretty worn out.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:54 pm

That's great. I'll expect the full length review soon.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:45 pm

I think Tony Covey explains it fairly well. Frankly, it (the left dash version) doesn't interest me. I continue to play the AVX with some success, but now in the middle of a slight swing change, I may put the new ProV1x into play for a few weeks while it's still warm out to see if the new swing change works better with it. I'm pretty sure I will go back to the AVX once it gets colder. It always performs better than anything for me in cooler and/or windier conditions.

I ordered my new Titleist T200 irons yesterday. Decided to stick with standard length for a number of reasons, of which I won't bother you all with here and now. I ordered 48W through 5 iron. I'm going to stick with my AP3 4 iron for the time being, while I try out some other options to fit in that slot. Since the new T200s will take me a little while to get paid off, I have some time to figure out what club will fit best in the 4 iron slot.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:56 pm

This will be the first time in years I will not be playing a three-club set of Vokey wedges. I started playing Vokeys in 2009 and originally played 52/56/60, but later moved to a 50/54/58 set up, which I like better. Now, with the T200 48W, I will have to drop the 50* Vokey from my bag, which I really like. I'll have to get used to a lot more distance with the 48, due in part to the stronger loft, but also due to the extra forgiveness of the T200 vs. a muscleback-style Vokey. I hit my Vokey 50 about 100 yards, and can crank it to 105 or so. I hit the T200 48 Wedge 115-120, or more with a full swing at my fitting. I guess I better learn to take something off that swing.

When the Vokey SM8(?--TBD) wedges come out in March, I may have to switch the 54* to a 52*, which I probably won't like as much for bunker shots. I use both my 58 and 54 for greenside bunkers now, depending on distance and condition of the sand. Using a 52* from a greenside bunker will be a new concept for me to get comfortable with. Maybe I'll bend a 54* to 53*. That's another option, I suppose. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Sorry, I know equipment isn't a big deal to most in here, but I'm always trying to generate traffic. And since equipment is interesting to me, that's what you get. Maybe I should go post this crap over in WRX or the Titleist site where somebody might give a crap.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:12 pm

I say drop the T200 'W' and continue with your 3-Vokey setup, but buy a 50* and bend it to 49*, making sure to purchase a higher bounce club, since bending strong will decrease bounce as well (a little bit). You can probably sell the 'W' club on ebay.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:01 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:56 pm
This will be the first time in years I will not be playing a three-club set of Vokey wedges. I started playing Vokeys in 2009 and originally played 52/56/60, but later moved to a 50/54/58 set up, which I like better. Now, with the T200 48W, I will have to drop the 50* Vokey from my bag, which I really like. I'll have to get used to a lot more distance with the 48, due in part to the stronger loft, but also due to the extra forgiveness of the T200 vs. a muscleback-style Vokey. I hit my Vokey 50 about 100 yards, and can crank it to 105 or so. I hit the T200 48 Wedge 115-120, or more with a full swing at my fitting. I guess I better learn to take something off that swing.

When the Vokey SM8(?--TBD) wedges come out in March, I may have to switch the 54* to a 52*, which I probably won't like as much for bunker shots. I use both my 58 and 54 for greenside bunkers now, depending on distance and condition of the sand. Using a 52* from a greenside bunker will be a new concept for me to get comfortable with. Maybe I'll bend a 54* to 53*. That's another option, I suppose. I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Change it up, why not. New challenges to keep things interesting.
Sorry, I know equipment isn't a big deal to most in here, but I'm always trying to generate traffic. And since equipment is interesting to me, that's what you get. Maybe I should go post this crap over in WRX or the Titleist site where somebody might give a crap.
Stop it
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:20 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:56 pm
No problems Doug, although if you want geek like banter I'm not qualified, but I'll always read your musings. It is always nice to know that there is someone out there thinking about these things even more than I do.

I'm actually considering doing the opposite with my wedges. My Ping set "U" wedge (50) has never seemed to carry quite like I think it should and there's a small gap between it and my "W" wedge (45). For years I thought the specs were off but I had those checked (although not sure about the checker but that's another story). At one time I tried a 50 bladed wedge but that didn't help either. So when the new wedges come out I'm thinking about getting a 48 to go along with my 54 and 58 - that should provide the overlap I want. Also, I'm waiting on the SM8 wedges so that I can buy SM7's at some sort of discount - that and the timing would be right for wedge replacement.

Based upon the article I linked and something else I read lately, I also bought a sleeve of Pro V1X yesterday to try out. I doubt if I want to give up a few yards distance and perhaps increase fairway spin for more stopping power, but it's worth a look.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:41 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:20 pm
No problems Doug, although if you want geek like banter I'm not qualified, but I'll always read your musings. It is always nice to know that there is someone out there thinking about these things even more than I do.
My sentiment exactly. I like reading your stuff, whether it's about your course, your equipment, or heck, even your clothes... or your past as a sailing captain. Keep it up! :up

I could never change my gear as often as you do, but then I don't feel like I have to either. My driver is a used one, bought on eBay for $80, probably a good 2-3 years after it came out (a 2014 Callaway Big Bertha Alpha) and I have had it for about the same amount of time. I bid on it only because I had the non-Alpha version and the shaft that came with it was too light and too whippy, so I just wanted the better shaft from the Alpha version. I played the club with the Alpha head first, before switching and found that I never wanted to complete that switch anymore... As for my wedges, when I had a fitting with GolfTEC for the Mizuno JPX900 forged clubs, and I bought a set (GW-4), they gave me a T-7 wedge, so I felt compelled to get another one, and we made them 55 and 60 degrees to match the 50 degree Gap Wedge in the set. I have been playing that for about 3 years now and feel no need to lust for anything else.
Last edited by sjduffers on Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Mrs. Bogey would kill me if I had Doug's equipment budget. That said, I've recently been hankering for new irons. IDK why, just it's been a while and new stuff is out there and maybe it will make me better. Then I remembered that August so far has been the best play of my life - why do I need new irons? Just think how good I could be with new irons!!

Not happening any time soon, but us golfers do dream a lot.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:12 pm
I say drop the T200 'W' and continue with your 3-Vokey setup, but buy a 50* and bend it to 49*, making sure to purchase a higher bounce club, since bending strong will decrease bounce as well (a little bit). You can probably sell the 'W' club on ebay.
I'm actually looking forward to the distance I will get with the T200 48W. It's as long as my present AP2 PW even though it's 2* weaker. The distance between a T200 PW and a Vokey 50, bent to 49, or even a Vokey 48 will be much too much.

I expect my new T200 PW to be my 120-125 club, even 130. I hit my Vokey 50 100 yards on average. As I said earlier, I can jump on it and get it further, but that isn't really a good move. We all know what can happen when you try to swing too hard (not that I don't do so when I really need to). The T200 48W will be played from 95 to 115, maybe 120. I can move my 54* 85-95 yards with a nice tempo and even further when I step on it. I think once I get used to a 3/4 swing with the T200 48W, I'll be just fine. I expect to be able to hit it anywhere from 85 to 120. I would not have that flexibility of range with a Vokey 48 or 50. Neither will get me close to 120.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:29 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:01 pm

Stop it
Yes boss.