Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Pre-Release (g)rumblings of new Titleist irons

Post by DougE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:59 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:20 pm
So when the new wedges come out I'm thinking about getting a 48 to go along with my 54 and 58 - that should provide the overlap I want. Also, I'm waiting on the SM8 wedges so that I can buy SM7's at some sort of discount - that and the timing would be right for wedge replacement.

Based upon the article I linked and something else I read lately, I also bought a sleeve of Pro V1X yesterday to try out. I doubt if I want to give up a few yards distance and perhaps increase fairway spin for more stopping power, but it's worth a look.
If I stayed with my AP2s or decided to go with T100s instead of T200s, I would have switched my SM7 set up from 50/54/58 to exactly as you are considering (48/54/58). I like my 50 a lot, but the theoretical 5 extra yards I would get with a 48 would be a better fit.

I'm gonna pick up a dozen 2019 Pro V1x myself. Should have done so before I just dropped a bundle on new irons. Now, $47.99 seems like a lot more extra expense than it did last week.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:30 pm
Mrs. Bogey would kill me if I had Doug's equipment budget.
For the record, my budget is not that big for new clubs. I only buy new irons every couple years, and up until this T200 order, was playing 4-year-old AP2s and 2-year-old AP3s. Plus, my pro is giving me a good price on the down-low (far better than retail) which is hard to come by on Titleist clubs. Actually, on anything Titleist. I admit, I buy a lot of clubs over the course of a year, but very few are at full retail. And some, are pre-owned. I also SELL a lot of golf equipment to offset the cost of newer Titleist stuff. I am having to be more frugal lately, as my wife was out of work for 4 months. She does NOT know about the T200s. Ssshhhh. Thankfully, she got a new job and started last week. I waited a week and then ordered the T200s. :o

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:20 pm
Based upon the article I linked and something else I read lately, I also bought a sleeve of Pro V1X yesterday to try out. I doubt if I want to give up a few yards distance and perhaps increase fairway spin for more stopping power, but it's worth a look.
So I went for my after work nine last night and I decided to periodically hit a second ball to see if I can tell much difference from my Bridgestone RX (equivalent to Pro V1) and the Pro V1X (there were no individual sleeves of Bridgestone RXS when I was buying). My perception, real or unreal, no surprise is that the RX goes a few yards further and the Pro V1x stops quicker. But I did find that a good driver swing with either ball ended up long and in the fairway and a bad driver swing with either ball ended up in the right rough - WOW! Maybe the only surprise was that I didn't notice extra curve off the tee with the Pro V1X.

I'll probably try this a few more times until I lose the Pro V1X's but for now I'm sticking with my Bridgestones because either:
  • It's the right ball for me
  • I'm not perceptive enough to tell a difference
  • I've been playing it for so long that I'm just more used to it
I did have two wedge shots into the hole where clearly the Bridgestone stopped fast and the Pro V1X stopped really really fast. But to point #3, the Bridgestone was closer to the hole with both shots.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am

Titleist is number one, by a wide margin, for a reason. And it's certainly not because they pay Tour players to play it. Unlike TM. Yes, there are staff Tour pros at Titleist too, but none are getting big bucks to play Titleist balls. TM pays a bundle to Rory, Ricky, and Dustin to play them. Titleist earned their reputation as the #1 ball over the last 80 years.

Other than Titleist, as far as I'm concerned, after trying all sorts of other brands (which I have found around the course), Bridgestone and Srixon Tour options are the real deal as far as spin around the greens. Both are quite good IMO. I like the RX/RSX and the Z-Star with Spin Skin when I am just out on the course trying/hitting golf shots rather than playing a match or postable round. And for the record, Callaway Chrome Soft has been exposed to be quite inconsistent in their manufacturing, by MGS. And, evidently, Callaway is trying to address the issues going forward. They have egg on their face and they know it doesn't look good.

Also, as far as the TM TP5 goes, I hate the hard line where the two halves are pieced together. It looks amateurish for a Tour ball and from an aerodynamic perspective, in my mind, it seems as if it would affect flight. I can't say it actually does, but it just seems like it might to me. That alone, is enough to bug me, so I won't play them. I do, however, trade the good TP5s/5x I find around the course, for mint Titleist AVX or ProVs, with my buddies who like them. So, I suppose they do have some value to me from that perspective.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:44 am

My intent was not to degrade Titleist in favor of Bridgestone. I actually wanted to compare the RX/RXS but couldn't get any RXS without buying a box of 12. But for some reason I've always preferred and seemed to get better results with Bridgestone (they were also the first yellow ball in a tour ball). But again, I think a lot of last night was what I'm used to and quite frankly I don't have the patience it might take to make a switch.