2019 summer support group

GBOGEY

Re: 2019 summer support group

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:00 am

It is almost Fall and it is still hot as blazes here - real feel last week and going forward is over 100. Yesterday seemed as hot as any day all summer. Decided to walk and got really wiped out. Bad enough on the short par 5 15th, I hit two really pretty shots to get on the green. As I'm standing over what is about the shortest eagle of my life, I thought out loud, I could really use a birdie with this putt not realizing that I was 2 putts from 8 feet for birdie. For the record I made the putt and the hybrid to reach the green was one of those totally pure shots - knew I was on the green from 188 the moment I hit it and was going to be surprised if I was more than 15-20 feet from flag - as it was I was closer than I thought (although also short, not long).

Weekend of golf went like this:
Strong 9 holes on Friday afternoon
Poor 18 holes on Saturday (difficult course)
Good 18 holes on Sunday (home course)

Trying to figure out what to do with the Saturday course. It is hard but has my number right now. Trying to determine should I say it doesn't fit my game or play it more to get comfortable.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Play it more. You'll get better at it, and likely your whole game in general. Playing tough courses really taught me to play the game at a higher level.

Unfortunately, for me right now, I couldn't break 85 at an easy course, it seems. My game is still deep in the shitter. I'm totally lost. Confused. Not an ounce of confidence or a bit of tempo or rhythm to my swing. I can only hope something changes for the better soon. Right now I feel like an 18-handicapper, with no business playing from the blue tees. It's bad. Really bad. Embarrassingly bad. And I have no idea what brought this on. I can't hit a good drive to save my life right now. Even my trusty iron play is starting to be affected. I'm in a free fall.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:44 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:15 pm
Play it more. You'll get better at it, and likely your whole game in general. Playing tough courses really taught me to play the game at a higher level.
That is my typical response, but beginning to wonder if there are courses for horses. The biggest issue seems to be really poor chipping and short game play - not sure why this course is any different. The greens and tough and fast, but that doesn't explain issues with chipping that I have there or the complete putting meltdowns. Or I could just be cursed there. Saturday my strategy was to avoid DB. The first two times I tried to take my bogey medicine I DB'd anyway. After fubarring the first 7 holes with 3 DB's, I pared the 8th (difficult hole) and then birdied the 9th to start thinking I might could save the round. The first shot on 10 - pop up off the tee into a hazard.

I've basically started playing four courses here (there's a 5th but it's just a little too much out of the way). In NJ, my rota mostly had similar difficulties with slopes from 126-129. Here two of the courses are low slope (114 and 117) and two are high (135 and 139). The other difficult course I feel I have figured out. Not easy to execute but I think I know how to play the holes. This course is still confounding me.

BTW, as I've mentioned before my easier courses have taught me how to play at a higher level. There's just less room for errors and so I've learned when to aim away from the pin and when to go for it and taking bogey medicine, etc.

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Post by CeeBee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Looks like if you get the short game tighter and chipping under better control you can play anywhere and put up some respectable scores. Easy to psych over so called “course difficulty “. Don’t let slope/rating enter your mind. Just play the shots you know how to play.

I have shot some great scores on some tough tracks and total shit on “easy courses”.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:37 pm

DougE wrote:
... My game is still deep in the shitter. I'm totally lost. Confused. Not an ounce of confidence or a bit of tempo or rhythm to my swing. I can only hope something changes for the better soon. Right now I feel like an 18-handicapper, with no business playing from the blue tees. It's bad. Really bad. Embarrassingly bad...
@DougE , I have been where you are as recently as 2 months ago. It will get better; it always has for me. Likely nothing is really wrong other than an accumulation of injuries, a few minor bad habits that you will fix without knowing it, and bad luck. :up

Or maybe you have contracted Ian Finch Disease!! :o
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:58 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Or maybe you have contracted Ian Finch Disease!! :o
I hate to say it, but I was beginning to feel that way. Just like him, I'm going to keep working at it. Even he gave up, eventually, though.

I'll figure it out sooner or later, though later isn't much of an option considering I'll be looking at Social Security and Medicare in the very near future. Life's too short.

When I get frustrated enough, I'll get some professional help. If I hadn't just ordered new irons, I might be able to afford a few fix-my-swing lessons now. Social Security doesn't cover that.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:39 pm

DougE wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:58 pm
Social Security doesn't cover that.
Does medicare cover mental health costs? If so you might be able to make a connection.
Keep it short stupid.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm

@DougE I feel I am on the same path as you, or maybe not. I was doing good on the front today (+2) with 2 bogeys on the tough last 2 holes of the front nine, then got par on a ho-hum par 5 after a good drive with the driver, and after that I couldn't drive to save my life for 5-6 holes. Left, right, nearly whiffed, you name it: it was embarrassing, feeling lost and feeling that I was losing my balance too. I got it back somewhat on the last 2 holes, which I finished in par-par for a total of 78 (+8), on an "easy" course.

After that front 9, I was expecting a 75 or so, not riding the bogey train because of bad drives, including a rinsed ball from the tee for double. It came out of nowhere, and hopefully does not rear its ugly head again for a long time!
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:55 am

SJD, I'll commiserate with you further on this AFTER it has been going on for over a month for you. Until then, you are just having a few questionable spells. When you join me in Ian Baker Finch territory, my heart will be open to you.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:00 am

I am now fascinated by the DougE slump. At what point do we seek professional help?
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:12 pm

DougE wrote:
So I went back today. Somehow things happen here that don't elsewhere. Pars on first two holes which is strong for this course. The 3rd gives me problems for some reason. After a poor drive I hit a good approach from where I was and was just off the green. 40 feet to hole, easy chip - should have look at saving par. Instead flub the chip and barely get on the green, then a bad 3 putt from 20 feet - DB. Holes 4-8 included another flubbed chip, bad sand shot (led to DB), and another 3 putt and I am +7 after 8 holes. Only one of the flubs was a difficult shot.

Somehow pulled it together for an even par next 7 holes, only to choke with 2 careless bogeys the last 3 holes. I tell you these things don't happen at other courses. Final score was a decent +9 81 but really frustrated that this course keeps playing so tough for me.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:31 pm

It's in your head. You have the game. No question.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:41 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:31 pm
It's in your head. You have the game. No question.
Fully aware of that - just can't figure out how to get over it. It's not the lack of scrambles, but the blown opportunities that lead to silly bogeys or even double bogeys and it seems to be all short game related.

I've also decided that the course has something going on where the wind swirls or is difficult to assess. Every round there are 1-2 shots that don't make sense. Yesterday on a long par 3 I clubbed up for the wind. When I hit the ball the question in my mind was whether it was next to the hole or it might roll off the back (since it was a hybrid). Then the ball died mysteriously into a bunker. A few holes later, with the wind at my back, I hit a wedge approach. Again, in my mind the question was whether the ball would be dead on or 30 feet past since I was trying to be long over short. Again it mysteriously died short of the green. At this point I think I know a well hit shot but on this course there seems to always be a mystery result during a round.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:37 am

@DougE

While you are going through your struggles, you should focus on something different while playing. It seems like a good time of year (and a good time mentally) to focus on taking more pictures of your course.

Instead of going out to focus on scoring well, maybe head out 1 or 2 rounds this week with a goal of getting (and posting) some more pictures.

I really enjoy seeing pictures of your course as we don't really have much like that here in Virginia Beach.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:27 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:37 am
It seems like a good time of year (and a good time mentally) to focus on taking more pictures of your course.
:puke

I too enjoy seeing golf course photos. But I just cannot in good conscience sign off on this idea.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:19 am

My game is officially cooked. How does one just lose it completely? Went from hitting virtually every shot in a round very well and loaded with confidence in July, to not being able to hit the ball anymore. Have never seen anything like it. I've had slumps before. This is way more than a simple one or two week slump. Something really important in my swing sequence has fallen out of place and there is no clear idea what it is. Now every part of my swing is off as a result. Nothing feels natural when I swing. I want to quit. I won't, but I want to. 7 weeks now.

Played my favorite course in the area yesterday (other than Worthington) at no cost, since it was my birthday. They offer free rounds on your birthday.) I had a little help the night before from our PGA pro who immediately saw something going on with my grip. I hit the ball well on the range with my 9 iron after his fix (though I stayed away from hitting driver). Then yesterday, I had the yips again throughout my bag. No confidence at all. Missed most of my shots. Left, right, tops, thins. Had maybe 6 or 7 truly good shots. That's it. Couldn't get much else right. Some birthday present.

I'm sorry. It's now fall. I have no business posting in a summer support thread. Can't even get that right.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:53 pm

No, it's still appropriate to post in here. Weather still hot and humid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Happy birthday Doug. Unfortunately I apparently have you my golf game for a present. Please send it back.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:19 pm

Happy Birthday Doug. Take a few days to fully heal, then work your way back. You are our golfing superhero and superheroes always come back after it looks really bad.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Happy Birthday Doug. Keep working on it.
Tee it up!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Nothing like 97* on September 28th.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:24 pm
98*?

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:01 am

Happy birthday @DougE .
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:26 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:52 pm
srogers13 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:24 pm
98*?
95 today with a feels like 99 - we had a 3 day break a week ago with feels like high 80's, but otherwise September is as hot as August.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:43 am

Oh my I am at the driving range right now. Winter must be coming
Keep it short stupid.