Perfect Golf

Duke of Hazards

Perfect Golf

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:21 am

Steam just released an Early Access version (work in progress) of a new PC golf sim. I believe its from the creator of the original 'Links' PC series. I've played several hours now and it comes closest, by far, to emulating the learning curve and 'feel' of real golf, with a mouse based 'motion' swing that actually works. Whereas on the console versions of EA Tiger Woods, I would shoot in the low 50's (St Andrews), in this game I'm happy to he in the mid 80's (kind of like real life in my case).

It's $20 and I think the engine that it runs on is adaptable to both low and high end computers. Check it out.

Coda1850

Re: Perfect Golf

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:15 am

Tw14... the last one released. Sim mode does a very good job. The learning curve with that was alot of fun. I'm gonna say you'll not shoot low 50's in that. Chasing a 59 will take a long time. Your typical round, played under proper conditions, will be in the 60's... if you're good. You might actually score high 60's & into the 70's depending on your console golf "handicap". Lot's of people will not play Sim because it's "too difficult"

A hole in 1 will be elusive. An albatross - haa, good luck.

I don't have a next gen console but there's TheGolfClubGame. It's on steam for PC & digital download for PS4 & XB1. If I had a console - I'd be playing the shit out of that game. It has a course designer - Unlimited courses available to play.

---the next Tw game (without Tiger): Pga Tour 15 is rumored to be a June release. There's not alot of info. out there on it tho.
Last edited by Coda1850 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Don't know if anyone else has been using it, or their opinions on it, but I have been playing WGT.coms game. I got started because it is a decent game for the Ipad, but like it through the website, too.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Coda1850 wrote:Tw14... the last one released. Sim mode does a very good job. The learning curve with that was alot of fun. I'm gonna say you'll not shoot low 50's in that. Chasing a 59 will take a long time. Your typical round, played under proper conditions, will be in the 60's... if you're good. You might actually high 60's & into the 70's depending on your console golf "handicap"

A hole in 1 will be elusive. An albatross - haa, good luck.

I don't have a next gen console but there's TheGolfClubGame. It's on steam for PC & digital download for PS4 & XB1. If I had a console - I'd be playing the shit out of that game. It has a course designer - Unlimited courses available to play.

---the next Tw game (without Tiger): Pga Tour 15 is rumored to be a June release. There's not alot of info. out there on it tho.

Perfect Golf is more along the lines of The Golf Club (more about the golf, no PGA tour licensing), and will also (shortly) include a course designer called 'Course Forge' (numerous demos of it online). I almost pulled the trigger on The Golf Club, but held off. Although I haven't personally played The Golf Club, I've read comparisons and the game play nod goes to Perfect Golf. It also looks like The Golf Club is a bit rough around the edges on PC, with optimization issues and what not. While I've had a lot of fun playing the EA Sports Golf games over the years (mostly because there was no alternative), and while they look super slick, I wanted to try something different that was built from the ground up as a sim. To its credit, I did read that the new sim mode in TW 14 addressed the long standing 'shooting in the 50's' issue.

If anything, I hope the success of the new more sim-based golf games encourage EA to retool and enhance their product. Competition is good for all.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:24 pm

srogers13 wrote:Don't know if anyone else has been using it, or their opinions on it, but I have been playing WGT.coms game. I got started because it is a decent game for the Ipad, but like it through the website, too.

I played it a bit, and it's kind of cool for a casual game, with the photo realistic courses, but it never felt cohesive to me and it's hugely money-centric. Have to buy equipment with 'credits', can earn credits through watching online ads and such. I soured on it pretty quickly.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:59 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:While I've had a lot of fun playing the EA Sports Golf games over the years (mostly because there was no alternative), and while they look super slick, I wanted to try something different that was built from the ground up as a sim.

If anything, I hope the success of the new more sim-based golf games encourage EA to retool and enhance their product. Competition is good for all.

Exactly. At least now there are some alternatives & their focus is around Sim.
(But I've only ever played games on console. Never wanted to play on PC.)

Mark unread?

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:14 pm

I'd like to try those games. I stink at video games tho. If it's more difficult than mario cart then I can't do it. I had the tiger woods game for wii before my console was given to a sister in law who moved away with it. I stunk at that game. Here is a screen grab of my virtual self stuck in a fairway bunker with the ball below my feet. Very realistic.
wii.jpg
wii.jpg (42.03 KiB) Viewed 829 times
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

MattF

Postby MattF » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:54 pm

I'm a killer on TW Wii. Bomb it over 300, usually end up around 10+ under...ahhh my glory days!
Throw me another ball will ya!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 pm

The Golf Club 2 comes out tomorrow...

Mark unread?

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Coda1850 wrote:The Golf Club 2 comes out tomorrow...

Do the Steam games run on Mac too or just PC?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 am

jfurr wrote:

Google is a lot faster for these kind of queries.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:22 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
jfurr wrote:

Google is a lot faster for these kind of queries.

Do the Chickens have large talons?

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:51 pm

jfurr wrote:

This convo is moving along slowly :heynow

Sorry - 1st time on here since end June. I play it on PS4, it's avail on XB1, & "PC" too. I only console game a little & don't do any mac, iOS, iphone, itoaster, icar, etc... lol. (I'm an Android fanboy). Also - know next to nothing about reg. PC gaming.

The game's pretty good. Enjoyable enough & lets me knock the dust off my PS4 I didn't use otherwise.

Mark unread?

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”