Spring Golf Support Group

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Spring Golf Support Group

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Everyone except the unfortunate wretches who live in MA and CT are preparing for the start of golf season. Spring golf brings its own series of trials and tribulations. Rusty swings, new equipment, soggy courses that play long, muddy bunkers, etc... Springtime can be a difficult time for some of us who do not live in the drought stricken west or hurricane/tornado plagued south.

For this reason, I am going to start a "Spring Golf Support Group" thread.

For my initial entry, I am going to talk about the frustrating search for an open course. Even courses that purport to be open year round closed in Michigan this winter. We had solid snow cover from the end of December until the thaw started around March 7. I drove past the University of Michigan course today while running an errand. They are always one of the last to open but it gave me a good sense for the amount of open terrain. My estimate is 50% of the grass surface is free of snow. Golf could be played but an orange ball might be advisable. The snow melt has been relatively gradual so there is not a large amount of standing water. There are some courses on the northeast side of Detroit that may open but I hate to drive that far to find a crap course in crap shape and filled to the top with crap golfers. If I have to play crap, it should be in my own neighborhood. I might venture out Saturday morning and hit a few of the local shitty courses that often open early. If I have no luck, it may be hitting shag balls at the local park. Or resort to hopping the fence at a secluded spot :shh:
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Re: Spring Golf Support Group

Post by legitimategolf » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:15 pm

January 23 was my last round. This is the 2nd longest layoff I've experienced. Point being it's been a longass time and I'm fairly well adjusted to this new world order by now. Because I could probably bear it, I am tempted to just keep Golf in the "Who gives a crap" bin for another few weeks. Give everyone some time to flood the local courses and get it out of their systems, as well as time for the course conditions to improve.

Surprised that the mitten is already making plans to play. Around here, a good portion of the non-paved earth is still covered in winter shit.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:49 pm

One if my favorites is open Saturday. I may venture on over.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:20 pm

We took a survey of the back nine at Leslie Park Golf Course. I may have to jump the fence tomorrow. Several holes are pretty playable plus the park/ball fields adjacent to the course is pretty clear of snow, ice and standing water. Not perfect but worth splashing a few shots. Note to self, wear the oldest crappiest pair of golf shoes I own.

The 11th hole may need a bit of thawing & drying
Attachments
004.JPG
11th green and fronting sand bunker
004.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 3511 times
006.JPG
11th at Leslie looking back toward the tee area
006.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 3511 times
Let's Play 36

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:38 pm

Looks slightly worse off than us. We had rain all day. There's a few stubborn bits that remain but I am guessing our courses will be playable by tomorrow.

I am not yet psyched. Still feel indifferent. I'm probably just afraid is all. Fear masquerading as indifference. I did a lot of swing work this winter, and I feel really good about ballstriking, but I think I am afraid of ending up shooting 83, 84, 85, same as f'n always. Afraid of the disappointment, feeling like a hamster on a wheel. Don't know why I should be afraid, the stats from the end of last season don't lie. Man I just need to reconnect with some reality.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Two words: low expectations. I understand that you always play the tips and always play the ball wherever it lands, goose poo and wolverine tracks be damned. Maybe just play a "practice" round the first time out. Hit a couple off the tee. Move the ball out of the pile of goose crap. Play the "white" tees. It is the middle of fucking March and I can only think of one person who expects to score well after a winter swinging a club in the apartment and doing leg presses.

When I haul my 60+ year old ass over the 10 foot chain link fence tomorrow, I guarantee you I will play perferred lies. And my preferred lie right now is that I am not getting older, I am getting better.

Wow, I am out of breath. I better sit down and have a drink.
Let's Play 36

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:11 pm

Whoa, an unhinged bkuehn rant. We really are living in crazy times. But ok, I'll try to manage the expectations. Or, I could hit more range balls and do some more lunges. :thumbup:

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:37 am

Wow bk. I'm taken aback. Here's a rant for you. Talk about needing spring golf support.

It rained hard all day yesterday so I said 'f' it and figured today was tee it up day. First day of handicap in MD. Supposed to briefly get to 50* this afternoon but right now it is cloudy, wet, cold and windy. Not ideal but let's see what's out there. I am pressed for time so have to work in a ten- fifteen mile radius. Went on Golfnow and stared reality in the face. WTF! You've got to be shitting me. These fucking courses just opened for Christ sake. I wouldn't pay these rates mid summer with mint conditions let alone shitty weather and unkept tracks.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:12 pm

CeeBee wrote:Went on Golfnow and stared reality in the face. WTF! You've got to be shitting me. These fucking courses just opened for Christ sake. I wouldn't pay these rates mid summer with mint conditions let alone shitty weather and unkept tracks.
I hear you. Actually no course is open right now in the muddy mitten but as soon as a few of the courses can run carts they are going to be offering "deals" for $40+. If I am going to play mudball with furry greens, the price better be well below $20.
Let's Play 36

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 pm

A bunch of courses in the central NJ area are scheduled to be open tomorrow. I might attempt to hit some balls this weekend if my cousin comes down.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:26 am

I got an email yesterday for $10 9 holes with a cart. I think I'm going to buy two and play before my partner comes back from a trip down south.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:12 pm

I can tell that I am going to need some spring golf support. It's going to be a rough one I suspect.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:25 pm

legitimategolf wrote:It's going to be a rough one I suspect.
Warmer weather is on the way tomorrow. Could be playable after 12 so stay sharp.
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:27 pm

I will be done with my first round by 12.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:55 pm

srogers13 wrote:I will be done with my first round by 12.
Me too.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:21 am

Sunday I awoke to some colder than average temperatures. 21 degrees at 9am. By 11am is was still only 27 degrees. My problem was we were going to dinner at my brother-in-law's home at 4pm. How was I going to get 18 in before 3:30?? I figured I had to return to Lake Forest, where I had played on Saturday. Closest course that had 18 holes open. Drove over there only to find the gate closed and locked. I should have called! A quick drive by Stonebridge showed they did not even have the flags in the holes. Tick tock tick tock. I eventually gave up on the idea of playing 18 and now just wanted to find someplace that was open. Our city's executive course is technically open year round. The question was would they open with sub-freezing temperatures? Since it was on the way home I figured I would check it out. Yes!

By the end of my 9 holes it was still only 30 degrees. The ground was "stiff" but not frozen thanks to the better temperatures all week. Personal comfort was fine. I could play in 20 degree weather if the ground would stay soft enough.

I probably won't get a chance to play in MI for about 10 days. Business trip to Arizona (with clubs!). Sigh. It is a tough life I lead.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 am

brianmk24 wrote:
Me too.

That is more a lunch than a bloody mary!
Let's Play 36

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
brianmk24 wrote:
Me too.

That is more a lunch than a bloody mary!
Efficiency, dude! I need to make a high-falutin' one like that sometime. I love shrimp and cheese and vodka and tomato juice and the other stuff that was in that pic.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:27 am

Tue: 46F
Wed: 50
Thu: 67! but rainy
Fri: 54 w/AM showers
Sat: 40
Sun: 48
Mon: 55
Tue: 55
Wed: 60

I'm going to attempt the practice green Tue or Wed. I'd love if I could kinda hit some balls next Tues or Wed. I'd take the practice even if I had to stand on one leg.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 am

I think it's time for some new grips. Yup, they are getting a little slick. :problem:

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:21 am

I know BK would say to move up a couple tees, and improve your lies and what not, but... I just can't do it.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:25 am

Me and the Ms. are about to attempt some weekend couples' golf. It is f'n freezing and windy. Ground is still soggy probably. Spring golf blues in full effect.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:25 am

Spring sucks ass. Its like 30 degrees. With a spring like this who needs winter.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Another cold one. The Worst Winter of Our Lives fittingly is being followed up by the Worst Spring of Our Lives, or a strong contender for it at least. I'm over it, bring on the Worst Summer of Our Lives already.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Gotta love that global warming.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.