Game Golf & Golf Pad

Coda1850

Game Golf & Golf Pad

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Is Game Golf now also doing the Golf Pad route... you can input your round from your phone.
Does Golf Pad require the purchase of tags?
Does Game Golf require tags if used from the app?

Anyone know more on this?

Here's the details on the last Game Golf app update:

What's New
New Features!
● Find, Play, and Track your round of golf at 33,000+ courses worldwide
● Live shot tracking and club distances in the app*
● Live shot editing in the app*
● Live scorecard*
● Rangefinder: Know exactly how far you are from the hole
● Lock screen mode: save power and have the most essential information at a quick glance
*If you use the GAME GOLF Device with the App, use the range finder feature only. Use of Device and App for shot tracking may cause duplicates.
Misc bug fixes
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Game Golf & Golf Pad

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:15 pm

I use game golf and have no clue about this update. Thanks for giving me something to look into.

But I like it because there isn't much you need to do live. Its a pretty seamless transition from a normal routine to add tagging the club.

I like the fact I don't need to do much during the round.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm thinking of getting some tags. I tried using golf-pad app manually and it almost brought me to tears. Not fun. Pulling out the phone and punching in before every shot really messed me up. I quit after 12 holes.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:33 am

legitimategolf wrote:I'm thinking of getting some tags. I tried using golf-pad app manually and it almost brought me to tears. Not fun. Pulling out the phone and punching in before every shot really messed me up. I quit after 12 holes.

Yeah that is interface is tough to get the hang of and the pulling the phone out can be distracting as hell. I would like to try the tags too, butBi don't think my iPhone 5 is compatible, needs phone with certain RF chips. iPhone 6. Certain Androids.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:25 am

jfurr wrote:
legitimategolf wrote:I'm thinking of getting some tags. I tried using golf-pad app manually and it almost brought me to tears. Not fun. Pulling out the phone and punching in before every shot really messed me up. I quit after 12 holes.

Yeah that is interface is tough to get the hang of and the pulling the phone out can be distracting as hell. I would like to try the tags too, butBi don't think my iPhone 5 is compatible, needs phone with certain RF chips. iPhone 6. Certain Androids.

Game golf has an RFID recorder that you clip to your belt. No need to use your phone.

It takes about 3-5 holes to get use to tagging clubs. And occasionally I still forget. But it records hip motion and makes guesses at where you forgot to tag clubs that you can edit post round. It is actually really well done. Although it doesn't work on putts because your hips don't move enough for it to trigger the clip to recognize a putt as a swing.

There are somethings I don't like. You can't tag the hole location for one. And it is on the verge of being a great stat tool but it isn't there yet. I'd like them to allow people to input 1st putt distance which would allow for them to track strokes gained for all aspects of the game, and compare that to other golfers based on average score.

MattF

Postby MattF » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:30 am

I don't have an issue with manually imputing on Golf Pad, having said that, I'm going to get the tags. At $100, plus the price of the app it's a great deal, I think.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:05 am

After a little bit of reading last night:

Here's how I see it:
Game Golf - free app download -
You can create the same round data as if you purchased a unit, all for $0.00. Catch is, you have to pull your phone out, tag a "+" & select your club. Along with that you have a gps app.

What you get when you spend ~$175.00 for the tags & belt clip is the convenience of a more seamless - end of club with tag to clip tagging of shots.

Interesting. I'm going to try this out if it ever warms up. I downloaded the app last night & set up my bag.

Golf Pad - Not completely sure with this. I only read up on Game Golf last night. As I understand it you get the gps for free but to get the round data (ala Game Golf) it costs about $99 for the tags & with the right phone it can act as your "belt clip".

Mark unread?

JPJ
dogs: 0

Postby JPJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:52 am

Coda1850 wrote:Is Game Golf now also doing the Golf Pad route... you can input your round from your phone

I think it was t'other way around, wasn't it?
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:40 am

JPJ wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Is Game Golf now also doing the Golf Pad route... you can input your round from your phone

I think it was t'other way around, wasn't it?

I guess a bit of both? It seems they're trying to 1 up each other... throw in Arccos & there's a little competition going on.
Great for golfers.

Mark unread?

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:50 am

Yeah. They're really pushing each other which is great.

GolfPad - best phone app, Tags + smart watch integration, but PC component needs some paint
Arccos - prettiest PC component and best stats, currently iPhone only
GameGolf - good all around, has social features, and has now added phone functionality

I love GolfPad and the tags work fantastic. The developers don't f around and fix/add things often and fast. I have no doubt that they'll flesh out their PC component, but the others are great options as well.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:51 am

I'm not sure but I was given some yardages on the golf pad gps that seemed off on my last round. Wish my laser rangefinder still worked is like to compare.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:59 am

I fired up Game Golf from the phone app @ the course yesterday. It never found a course so I couldn't use it.

Mark unread?

brianmk24

Postby brianmk24 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:23 pm

I found the course today, but couldn't get past the handicap profile screen. It was super sunny out so that didn't help as I was fiddling with it on the first tee. I just wanted the GPS since I haven't gotten a battery for my rangefinder yet. I scrapped that idea and walked off yardages like old times.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:37 pm

yeah not trying to diss the golf pad app .. but I found and recharged and used my 'golf buddy' GPS while at the beach and I loved not being distracted and whenever I grabbed it for info it was mostly automatic

jev

Postby jev » Mon May 25, 2015 2:18 pm

I know, I know... topic kick!

I have a coupel of question to the users of GameGolf - thinking about buying into the system, but...
1) Can you tag where the hole is so that the last putt distance is accurate?
2) How do these tags fit? I know they are screwed into the top of the grip, but are they secure? Did you ever loose one?
3) The tags are marked, but they probably won't exactly represent my set. Can they be assigned to different clubs?
4) How long does the unit keep power?
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:57 pm

1) no that is the most common complaint about the system.

2) very secure. Actually they were hard to get screwed flush to the grip.

3)yes when you set up your bag it will let you assign any club to the marker.

4) not sure they claim 10 hours. I've never ran out of power. I do notice charging it the night before your round is best. If you charge it and let it sit turned off for 2 weeks it won't start up on your next round.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Also for #2 the belt clip is not that secure. I can see that popping off if you aren't paying attention a couple times a round.

jev

Postby jev » Tue May 26, 2015 4:04 am

Thanks Jason.

I was thinking a double-tick or something like that might do the trick, but that's not possible?
How do you mark a penalty shot and/or a provisional?

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:55 am

jev wrote:Thanks Jason.

I was thinking a double-tick or something like that might do the trick, but that's not possible?
How do you mark a penalty shot and/or a provisional?

There is no great way to record pin placement right now. I've heard they are working on it.

After your round loads onto the computer you have to edit it. This is where you would add penalty strokes, change the default pin placement (still doesn't replace marking it) add shots you forgot to tag, set the tee boxes, ext. Then you sign your round. Once you sign you can't go back to edit it.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:43 am

Instead of just answering your questions let me give you my general rundown before you spend the money (not that my opinion should matter to you).

Pros
- Easy to use. It is very simple to add to your preshot routine.
- I no longer use a scorecard to write anything down.
- Some basic stat tracing coupled with rudimentary comparisons to any benchmark you want to set.
- Club tracking feature. I've learned a lot about my game from this. I've found when I'm taking 1/2 to 3/4 swings (which I do with all wedge shots) I tend to pull the ball left. But when I'm hitting longer irons 4-7 I tend to leave them to the right (they dont draw as much as I expect compared to my 8 & 9i). My driver goes everywhere (which I didn't need anything to make me realize that).
- No annual or recurring maintenance fees.
- Lightweight and streamline (I forget about it most of the time I'm wearing it).
- The algorithm that monitors your hip movement so that if you forget to tag a full shot is really good. I was worried due to the amount I like to walk it would create "fake swings" due to my walking. But it seems to be a really good setup. Also it is built in that it wont track practice swings. For example if you swing 2-3 times, then tag the club it will only count the tag. The algorithm removes all hip movement +/- 30 seconds from when you tag a club. So you don't have to clear your 3 practice swings on each shot.

Cons
- Not able to track the pin placement. I actually dont mind this. But I would like to be able to enter 1st putt distance when I'm editing the round.
- I think the stats are very basic. Although I'm a huge stat nerd. If they let everyone enter 1st putt distance when editing a round, it would allow them to calculate strokes gained putting, approach shots, and driving. Doing this could let compare your game to any benchmark of players, and know exactly where you are losing the most strokes per round. Doing this would make this system the best stat tracking system ever imo.
- The belt clip leaves a little to be desired. I worry that it might slip off during my round and constantly am adjusting it. This could just be my OCD of not wanting to lose $200, as it has never actually fallen off.
- As I said before I wish it would hold a charge when turned off. Sometimes I dont know that I'm going to play until 15 minutes before I leave the house and it takes a good 1-2 hours to fully charge. This might be just my device.

Other Cons (these are common issues lots of other users seem to have that I dont really mind).
- The beep. The system beeps every time you tag a club. There are lots of people that complain about this. I can barely hear it. As in I have to mentally try to listen for it. If I'm just going through my preshot routine and thinking about the shot I dont ever hear it. Maybe I'm going deaf.
- Not having a built in GPS. I would still only trust my laser anyways.
- Not having a way to use it on the range. I'm not really sure how people expect it to be used on the range?

Overall grade. B-
Like I said I'm a huge stats nerd. I sent them a very long email explaining how letting people add 1st putt distance would make a huge difference, along with a link to how the strokes gained stat works. I even detailed out how they could implement the change given it isn't a change to the hardware only to the online portion. They said that I should keep paying attention for updates but they "didn't want to let too much slip out" and they would forward my email to engineering.

Would I buy it again?

Probably not. Dont get me wrong it is great. But I'm a stat snob so having the basic stats isn't good enough for me for $200. I'm pretty sure that with in 1-2 years a system will come out that is very similar that implements the strokes gained feature. I will be switching at that time unless it is a gamegolf upgrade. If the price was $125 I'd probably say yes to the question about would I buy it again. So I'm really borderline.

Hopefully that helps.
Last edited by jasonfish11 on Tue May 26, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:53 am

Oh and for full disclosure I bought Golfsmith7's old gamegolf device that he sold on OOB. So the low volume of the beep, and the not holding a charge when turned off might be different in newer models.

Also I only paid $135 or $145 I dont remember. And yes I would buy it again for that price.

jev

Postby jev » Wed May 27, 2015 4:17 am

Thanks for that Jason, great writeup!

I am a bit of a stats freak too. My coach / pro always wants full swing-to-swing reports of all rounds so that he kan determine if what we're doing is going to be effective or that we have to focus on other things. Currently, I keep stats in GolfCard Pro on the course, than import that into a google sheet and manually add comments about each hole. Keeping administration on the course however is pretty distracting from the game, so more often than not I simply forget shots or whole holes completely (especially on courses I've never played before).

The weak point in my game is the short game. Approaches very often land off-green (the greens on my homecourse are dry as a bone, nothing holds!) and thus a lot of chipping and putting is involved (over 36 putts is not unusual to me). Things like average first putts, average putts after chips, etc. are important to monitor progress. If I can add pin positions after the round from a secondary GPS source, than that is good enough I guess. If not, or if these stats can't be exported from the whole system, it kind'a defeats the purpose.

Okay, I've got some more research to do. Thanks again!

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:50 am

I am not sure if they can be exported.

But the GPS isn't amazing so for your situation I would use game golf (or some other device that tracks shots) and just write down 1st putt distance on each hole. It sounds like that would cover what you and your coach need.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:40 pm

Just an FYI.

Microsoft and Taylormade have added a golf stat tracking item to the microsoft fitness watch. It has GPS and the big news is it is the 1st (to my knowledge) of these type of devices to incorporate strokes gained.

I sent an email to game golf basically telling them to get off their ass and make sure they are the 1st to market with strokes gained for the "tagging" devices.

If someone else incorporates strokes gained in a non-watch format, that automatically knows what club you are selecting I'll be selling my game golf unit.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 pm

For the public, would this not really be called Strokes Lost?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”