The Get A Grip Thread

legitimategolf
Site Admin

The Get A Grip Thread

Post by legitimategolf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:49 pm

Let's talk some grips!!! :P :P :P :P :P

I just ordered a new set of grips and boy, am I psyched. Not so much about the grips themselves--after some hemming and hawwing and briefly considering some of the fancy, multi-compound, polymerized, CAD-designed choices I just went the old classic, boring GP Tour Velvets. (Trying a new style would've meant going to a retail golf store and putting my grubby hands all over the dirty floor models and trying to imagine what they would feel like in the heat of gameplay, while trying to fend off salesmen. I will do it eventually but right now I am in no mood for that.)

The reason I am nearly going out of my mind with excitement is that, after sticking my toe in the water, I am going to go FULL TAPELESS this time. That's right, instead of the old orthodox, double-side tape + solvent method, I am going to forsake ALL adhesives and ALL lubes, and instead use compressed air to slide those fuckers onto the shaft. Going in dry.

Not only will it be wonderful to say adios to all that sticky, messy, noxious, not to mention flammable crap, this is going to open up a whole new world of modularity to my grip situation. Now, the installation of a golf grip no longer entails a multi-yearlong commitment, and of course all the anxiety and second-guessing that come along with commitments. (Married guys you know exactly what I'm talking about am I right or am I wrong here!)

Now, the world (of golf grips) is my oyster. I am free to experiment. Something I've always wanted to experiment with is grip thickness. I use standard, but it seems like every time I've picked up a club that has a thicker grip, I'm always like Whoa, that feels pretty f'n good! Now, I can just use some regular masking tape and adjust to my heart's content. Maybe something crazy like, triple or quadruple wrapped could be the thing to take me to the next level of ballstriking. You just never know until you try.

Now, I can experiment with different styles, models, materials; and even different brands for god's sake. Bring 'em all on, Golf Pride, Lamkin, Winn. Say, those Winn grips, those are the ones that feel like tennis grips--and hey, maybe that is the answer!!! I don't know. But now I can find out!!! I can also experiment with different grip types to suit the various clubs--driver, woods, irons, wedges. Dang, it's all happening so fast.

I can change grips round to round to the suit the weather conditions. Conceivably I can even change grips round to round, to suit whatever f'n mood I happen to be in that day.

Whew I am sweating now. Anyways with it being the start of a new golf season, how do you plan to "Get A Grip" in 2015?
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

brianmk24

Re: The Get A Grip Thread

Post by brianmk24 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 pm

There's a lot in here that makes me fear for Ms. LB. :wtf:

It's very cool that you're setting up your own grip station at home. How much changing are you going to do? I think that making changes per round may be fun to experiment with, but would be a little unsettling when actually trying to get a grip on the club.

I did a little research and took the OEMs online fitting quizzes and came up with the midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips for last year. I just ordered midsize Lamkin UTx for this year. I'm going to see how long I can get away with the Winns this season before switching though.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Also, oysters..mmm.

I need to find a place in NYC for happy hour oysters on Monday after my next post-op appointment (coming from NYU-Langone on 38th btw 1st and 2nd Ave; thinking about Dock's on 3rd Ave btw 40 and 41st).

http://cdn-ecomm.dreamingcode.com/publi ... 1825-1.pdf

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:19 am

I switched to Pure Grips last year for the tapeless installation, best thing ever. Takes about 30 seconds per club to get them on and adjusted.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:46 am

mmmmm, oysters.

& I got my iron set 5i thru Pw re-gripped this winter. Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN standard white.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 am

brianmk24 wrote:There's a lot in here that makes me fear for Ms. LB. :wtf:

It's very cool that you're setting up your own grip station at home. How much changing are you going to do? I think that making changes per round may be fun to experiment with, but would be a little unsettling when actually trying to get a grip on the club.
:eh: Not sure what is meant by that, but whatever, I take care a my hoes. That said it was good that nobody was home the first time I experimented with pressurized air. Because, KABOOOM. It was a learning experience. Still, I don't think a person has quite lived until they have exploded a golf grip.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 am

brianmk24 wrote:Also, oysters..mmm.

I need to find a place in NYC for happy hour oysters on Monday after my next post-op appointment (coming from NYU-Langone on 38th btw 1st and 2nd Ave; thinking about Dock's on 3rd Ave btw 40 and 41st).

Grand Central Oyster Bar? One of those classic NYC institutions I guess. Dock's, passed by it a million times but never been. It's been there a long time, looks like a standup joint.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 pm

MattF wrote:I switched to Pure Grips last year for the tapeless installation, best thing ever. Takes about 30 seconds per club to get them on and adjusted.
This guy gets it.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:18 pm

I am a big fan of the Lamkin crossline grip. I need to redo all my clubs soon (I still have the original Mizuno grips I received with the new irons 2 years ago, on some of those irons). I've heard good things about the compressed air method, but it won't help me as I don't have a station to redo my grips anyway, and no air compressor either. I go to Golfsmith or somesuch...
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:44 pm

sjduffers wrote:I am a big fan of the Lamkin crossline grip. I need to redo all my clubs soon (I still have the original Mizuno grips I received with the new irons 2 years ago, on some of those irons). I've heard good things about the compressed air method, but it won't help me as I don't have a station to redo my grips anyway, and no air compressor either. I go to Golfsmith or somesuch...
Dude I live in Manhattan. You think I keep a bench and a vise and an air compressor lying around in my garage? Hint, I have no garage! I have some c-clamps and a bicycle pump. In a life or death situation, you could even get by without the c-clamps.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 pm

legitimategolf wrote:
brianmk24 wrote:There's a lot in here that makes me fear for Ms. LB. :wtf:

:eh: Not sure what is meant by that, but whatever, I take care a my hoes. That said it was good that nobody was home the first time I experimented with pressurized air. Because, KABOOOM. It was a learning experience. Still, I don't think a person has quite lived until they have exploded a golf grip.
I've been told that a piece of PVC pipe works best for blowout protection. I would have needed a change of pants if I had done that.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:41 pm

legitimategolf wrote:
brianmk24 wrote:Also, oysters..mmm.

Grand Central Oyster Bar? One of those classic NYC institutions I guess. Dock's, passed by it a million times but never been. It's been there a long time, looks like a standup joint.
I've been to The Mermaid Oyster Bar a few times when I used to go to our testing center on Hudson Street. Grand Central is probably THE institution; depends what time I leave the doctor's office.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:08 pm

How do you build the grip up under the right hand without tape?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:20 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:How do you build the grip up under the right hand without tape?
LB mentions regular masking tape in the oyster paragraph. I think we all got distracted by the ALL CAPS and the lack of lube in the preceding paragraphs.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:30 am

New Golf Prides are on. One wrap.
Tee it up!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:29 am

http://www.golf.com/instruction/youre-p ... size-grips
Finding the correct grip size has little to do with the size of your hands, or even personal preference. It has everything to do with the dynamics of your swing.

The only way to know what size grips to use is to experiment with as many different sizes as possible.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 am

I need to regroup my Mizunos. Got any tips on doing the air compressor method? Really don't want to get into the solvent method again.

What kind of attachments are you using on the bike pump to fit the hole in the end of the grip?

I have small pancake air compressor as well, I might look and see what attachments it has.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:11 pm

jfurr wrote:I need to regroup my Mizunos. Got any tips on doing the air compressor method? Really don't want to get into the solvent method again.

What kind of attachments are you using on the bike pump to fit the hole in the end of the grip?

I have small pancake air compressor as well, I might look and see what attachments it has.
It's a little plastic cone looking needle with a serrated tip. It's kind of thick so it takes some force to shove it into the grip hole. It came with the bike pump, so I don't even know what to call it.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks but actually after I posted my 'loosing interest' complaint comment earlier I decided to make an effort so I went to the range and hit a small bucket. Went pretty good. Anyway I just went ahead and paid the pro at the shop to put on some new tour velvets he did them while I waited. I gave him the odd numbered iron while I hit my bucket then gave him the other half when I was finished.

Also it's beautiful here, wore shorts for the first time in months and nearly blinded myself with the glare from my icing white legs.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:41 pm

jfurr wrote:Thanks but actually after I posted my 'loosing interest' complaint comment earlier I decided to make an effort so I went to the range and hit a small bucket. Went pretty good. Anyway I just went ahead and paid the pro at the shop to put on some new tour velvets he did them while I waited. I gave him the odd numbered iron while I hit my bucket then gave him the other half when I was finished.

Also it's beautiful here, wore shorts for the first time in months and nearly blinded myself with the glare from my icing white legs.
Great that you got new grips and all, but hope you are 100% happy with them because now, you are stuck with them-- literally AHAHAHA. Seriously though, the new world order of grips is calling. Why don't you answer.

brianmk24

Post by brianmk24 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:47 pm

There were some new grips waiting for me when I got home today and a couple extra goodies in the box.

And in oyster news, some delicious ones from Washington with a Left Hand Milk Stout (Dock's on 3rd Ave in NYC).

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:41 pm

those look like they were grips for left handed players.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Come for the world-class medical care, stay for the tasty chow. That basically sums up New York City in 2015.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Sorry for not updating this thread. To be fair it was always gonna be tough to sustain that initial burst excitement into a 2nd or 3rd week. Anyways I did it, I retrofit all my non-putting clubs to the LG Lubeless Grip System™. It's pretty much everything I dreamt it could be and more.

I went with a triple wrap of masking tape and goshdarnit, the bigger diameter feels really good. (THATS WHAT SHE SAID AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) But still, I might pop those suckers off and try a quadruple wrap. I know, I am out of control. But that's what happens! Freedom, it goes to your head. My grips are emancipated now, and I just want to see them become the very best, most effective grips they can be. Is that so wrong?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:36 pm

I can see from this thread that it is time once again to Get A Grip. That's what I like about this board. It functions also as a personal bullshit journal. My grips are feeling slick so I wondered if it was really that time. But instead of wondering, I can check this thread and see that we are coming up on two years with this current set. That is a bit long especially with all the deathgripping practicing I've been doing over said time period. For a minute I considered trying something new and radical but then I realized that GP Tour Velvets are pretty much all I could want in a grip and why waste energy running around looking for something that isn't there.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock