Re: The Get A Grip Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:16 am

No it's not.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:50 am

I wasn't around when this thread originally began. Had I been, I surely would have added my 2 cents. Probably a lot more. At the time, I was still flailing and slapping around trying to stay afloat with my head barely above water over in the SG360 forums. Thankfully, Jason reached out a helping hand and pulled me to safety up onto the small dinghy named LegitimateGolf and I am thankful to be saved. I just wish the boat were a little bigger. But that's another topic we can discuss elsewhere---building a bigger LG boat. I have some experience in that, both literally and figuratively.

As far as grips go, I am a huge proponent of changing grips often. My wedges, short irons and driver get changed at least 3Xs a season. Others as needed but typically at least twice a season. If I had the money, I would change them every month. I use Golf Pride Multi-Compound New Decade grips in a Midsize on most clubs, but regular on my longer clubs and driver, with one or two extra wraps. These grips are about 11 bucks each, so changing them all every month would be somewhat cost prohibitive. I just love the feel of new grips. I don't know what it is, but it gives me an added boost of confidence standing over the ball.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:58 am

DougE wrote:As far as grips go, I am a huge proponent of changing grips often. My wedges, short irons and driver get changed at least 3Xs a season. Others as needed but typically at least twice a season. If I had the money, I would change them every month. I use Golf Pride Multi-Compound New Decade grips in a Midsize on most clubs, but regular on my longer clubs and driver, with one or two extra wraps. These grips are about 11 bucks each, so changing them all every month would be somewhat cost prohibitive. I just love the feel of new grips. I don't know what it is, but it gives me an added boost of confidence standing over the ball.
I think the joy you experience is due to simple tackiness no? I always assumed there was a real mechanical effect, as the new grips require less active effort to maintain a hold on them.

I am realizing mine were in bad shape, since for the past few weeks I find myself trying to breath some moisture on them before each shot, trying to fog em up a little like people do when they are cleaning their eyeglasses. Sad!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:00 am

Also, DougE since you weren't around at the start, what do you think of using compressed air? This will be my first swap since going tapeless, and for once I am actually looking forward to re-gripping and not dreading the process.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:05 am

DougE wrote:I wasn't around when this thread originally began. Had I been, I surely would have added my 2 cents. Probably a lot more. At the time, I was still flailing and slapping around trying to stay afloat with my head barely above water over in the SG360 forums. Thankfully, Jason reached out a helping hand and pulled me to safety up onto the small dinghy named LegitimateGolf and I am thankful to be saved.
This morning I read some news about a toddler who summoned supernatural judgment and physical strength to rescue his twin brother who had gotten pinned under a fallen dresser, but I am actually way more moved by this story. :wah

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:50 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Also, DougE since you weren't around at the start, what do you think of using compressed air? This will be my first swap since going tapeless, and for once I am actually looking forward to re-gripping and not dreading the process.
I really don't see any down side to it as long as the double-sided sticky tape isn't really necessary to keep the grip in place. I wouldn't be worried too much about the grip actually slipping off, just turning a little in hand. I haven't tried this approach, so don't know what to expect. In my mind I picture the potential for some movement on hot days when the rubber gets heated up and softens.

The upside is that it is a very clean method to regrip and more importantly to save hardly-used grips for re-use as they do not need to be cut off and ruined. They can be blown off in one-piece. I think I might do some experimenting with my compressor.

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:40 pm

I use air to regrip and haven't had the slightest issue with the grip twisting on clubs. They stay put until you take them off.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Not sure what beef has against leather, but I play these and they look and feel the same as when I bought them over a year ago. They are coated with a proprietary solution that makes them tackier than any other grip I've played. The difference is that the compound that creates tack stays in the leather, while the physical properties of rubber tends to dispel/dissipate any application over time. I wipe the leather grips down quickly with a wet cloth and they become super tacky again instantly.

They're a bit pricey ($19/ea) and you have to find a grip installer that won't fuck em up (they install differently), but I swear by them. I don't imagine I will have to change the grips for several years, whereas with rubber, they'd get worn, slippery, could see the perforations eroding.

I don't wear a glove and the leather is a lot easier on the hands. That's how I learned about them. Another guy on the range a couple years back noticed me not wearing a glove but had a finger taped. He showed me his grips and let me swing a couple times with them. He said he'd had the same set of grips for 3 yrs.

https://bestgrips.com/product/microperf ... p/#reviews
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:55 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Not sure what beef has against leather, but I play these and they look and feel the same as when I bought them over a year ago. They are coated with a proprietary solution that makes them tackier than any other grip I've played. The difference is that the compound that creates tack stays in the leather, while the physical properties of rubber tends to dispel/dissipate any application over time. I wipe the leather grips down quickly with a wet cloth and they become super tacky again instantly.

They're a bit pricey ($19/ea) and you have to find a grip installer that won't fuck em up (they install differently), but I swear by them. I don't imagine I will have to change the grips for several years, whereas with rubber, they'd get worn, slippery, could see the perforations eroding.

I don't wear a glove and the leather is a lot easier on the hands. That's how I learned about them. Another guy on the range a couple years back noticed me not wearing a glove but had a finger taped. He showed me his grips and let me swing a couple times with them. He said he'd had the same set of grips for 3 yrs.

https://bestgrips.com/product/microperf ... p/#reviews
Nothing against leather just don't care for the drive-by, mic dropping post. You redeemed it with the follow up however.

Decent case made for your grips. However I have a couple questions a) do you worry about the proprietary solution and its effect on your skin and b) at $19 a piece plus the cost I am assuming of this expert installation it's way too rich for me. Ok so that's not a question. But GP tour velvets are about $4 each and I can easily incorporate them into my exclusive tapeless modular grip system. However I'll check out leather grips next time I'm in a shop.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:01 am

MattF wrote:I use air to regrip and haven't had the slightest issue with the grip twisting on clubs. They stay put until you take them off.
DougE wrote:I really don't see any down side to it as long as the double-sided sticky tape isn't really necessary to keep the grip in place. I wouldn't be worried too much about the grip actually slipping off, just turning a little in hand. I haven't tried this approach, so don't know what to expect. In my mind I picture the potential for some movement on hot days when the rubber gets heated up and softens.

The upside is that it is a very clean method to regrip and more importantly to save hardly-used grips for re-use as they do not need to be cut off and ruined. They can be blown off in one-piece. I think I might do some experimenting with my compressor.
+1 on what Matt says. I was initially worried about slippage but it is not even an issue. Not even with layers of masking tape. Frankly I can no longer relate to anyone who chooses the tape & solvent method. It is repugnant. Doug, you have an air compressor, you ought to at least try it. I am working with a bike pump here.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:17 pm

I don't even use tape on mine.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:29 pm

I use the tape only to build up thickness. Unlike Trump, my hands are bigger than average.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:42 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
a) do you worry about the proprietary solution and its effect on your skin and b) at $19 a piece plus the cost I am assuming of this expert installation it's way too rich for me. Ok so that's not a question. But GP tour velvets are about $4 each and I can easily incorporate them into my exclusive tapeless modular grip system. However I'll check out leather grips next time I'm in a shop.
They coat some rubber grips with it. Tacki-Macs have it, but it wears out over time (or the rubber molecules shed/wear). I haven't had any issues but I'm guessing that the coating is simply some kind of rubber/plastic polymer or some such that isn't any different than any other crap we touch on a daily basis.

I've never seen leather grips in a shop, and the market is small. Installation cost was same cost as rubber grips, guy at Roger Dunn had installed them before. I just wouldn't leave it to some hack at Golfsmith or some other box retailer that has no experience.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I just saved a bundle on golf grips. If you are a GP tour velvet user, you are in luck. Since it's one of if not the most popular gripping implements in the game, you can find great deals. Supply and demand folks. And if you are not picky about aesthetics, you can save even more my amigos. For instance I paid less than $3.50/each for TV's, marked down just because they happen to have been stamped with the mark of the beast (nike swoosh) on the butt. There are probably warehouses full of Nike-stamped golf grips. Everything must go! Anyways you can easily black out these logos with a permanent marker. Frugality FTW.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 pm

I replaced some grips yesterday. The ease was breathtaking.

Getting the little alignment lines lined up was a pain in the ass. I sat down and thought about my entire golflife. I asked myself some questions. Have I ever made use of those little lines on the grip? Have I ever even looked at the grip while in the process of setting up a golf shot? The answer to both of these was a resounding hell no. So I just opted to stop giving a shit. I just made sure that the grip was roughly aligned with itself, i.e. not twisted. God what a burden lifted.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:24 am

Good, isn't it?

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 am

So I plan on going back to the standard sized (putter) grip again this year. I've switched the past 2 or 3 years... alternating between standard & midsized. I like both, not sure which I like more.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jfurr

Re: Random golf thoughts

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:41 pm

I got new grips on my irons. :banana :banana I got new grips on my irons :banana :banana
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:03 pm

jfurr wrote:I got new grips on my irons. :banana :banana I got new grips on my irons :banana :banana
What kind did you get?
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:19 pm

I also just got new grips, but I haven't installed them yet.

I got Lamkins
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

just some regular ol' tour velvets but they have that new grip smell®
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:30 pm

I put some new lamkin grips on today. Used air to do it and painters tape for the wraps I wanted under it.

Replacing them will be so much easier now.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I put some new lamkin grips on today. Used air to do it and painters tape for the wraps I wanted under it.

Replacing them will be so much easier now.
Your life begins today. Believe me you are now leaving behind a whole world of inconvenience and two-sided tape and paint thinner. Everything is different now. About to leave for the course and you notice one of your grips has gotten slick? You simply slide a new one on there, pronto.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:22 pm

What fitting are you using on the end of your air hose to stick in the end of the grip? I know there are some specifically designed tools available on line, but thought I could do it with the tools and fitting accessories I already have. It's not working real well. I rigged up something with a basketball/football inflator-type fitting and built up the diameter with tape to have a tight fit in the grip end hole. It worked a little, but there is something better out there and before I buy one online, wanted to see what you guys are using.