Attachments
IMG_20170407_141221.jpg
IMG_20170407_141221.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: The Get A Grip Thread

Post by DougE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:38 pm

I think I have something like that. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

I tried the top image fitting and put some tape around it to build up the diameter so it filled the hole in the end of the grip tightly. It worked, but was not perfect. I accidentally blew the old grip apart the first time I tried this a few years ago. I recommend a piece of 12 inch PVC or similar with a large enough diameter to slip over the end of the grip and cover it completely. This contains the grip once air is applied and distributes the pressure more evenly to the grip, instead of just forcing the area which comes loose first to just expand and blow up. You can do the same thing with your hand by pushing down on/grabbing the expanding area, but this way is more consistent throughout.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:46 pm

I was using a 12 volt car tire pump. It would have been super difficult to blow it up with that. But it worked really well. I took one of the grips off to adjust the alignment of it. Really simple.

An air compressor I see it being really easy to blow one apart though.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Yep I'm using a similar plastic needle, one that's sort of serrated, so it sticks inside the hole. I'm not sure what it's intended for. Rafts or floaty toys maybe?
Build a bridge and get over it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 am

I actually got the tool with my Pure grips, but a few other guys I know are using the fitting that beef described.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:02 pm

It's time once again for me to Get A Grip. I'm so slicked out now. I tried desperately before my round today to revive with soap n water and it worked, for the first few holes. Then out in the cold windiness they got even slicker than before. By the end I was gripping so hard. :puke

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 pm

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:56 pm

That’s a cool commercial.
I need to get my ratty ass grips off and my new MCC 4plus grips on.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:28 am

Been playing Golf Pride MCC grips (in midsize) for years. Love them. Yet, the new (well, not so new anymore---released a couple years ago) Golf Pride Z-Cord grips have my eyebrows raised. A buddy of mine---good player---loves them and gave me a full-on presentation of why he does. I tried a few of his clubs last year on the range and honestly did like the feel of his grips. They are somewhere between an MCC and a Tour Velvet IMO.

I still like the highly-textured, nooks and crannys feel better of the MCC in my hands, particularly on my short irons and wedges, where I tend to use my hands a bit more for directional control. I have no desire to switch to anything else on my scoring clubs. However, on my driver, 3W and hybrid, where I don't bring my hands into play quite as much, I think these Z-Cords might be nice. So I'm going to give them a try on those three clubs only. It'll be an experiment. As often as I replace grips, it's not like I'm making a lifetime commitment. I'm just bored and want to try something different. I need a little excitement in my golf life. Winter has me in the dumps.

Anyone else here playing the Z-Cords?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 pm

You want excitement, switch to a tapeless system goddamit. I swear to you, it is wonderful. Makes me happy just thinking about it. :fkno

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Evidently, I am not as up to date as I thought regarding the Z-grips. They were introduced 6-7 years ago, not a couple years ago as I had thought. I never heard about them until last year. I was just doing some research/reviews on them on some of the Big Box Forums, and found out they have been around for awhile. Silly me.

In any case, I have three on the way.
legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 pm
You want excitement, switch to a tapeless system goddamit. I swear to you, it is wonderful. Makes me happy just thinking about it. :fkno
Sorry Beef. I need my tape. I like to build up with it wherever it suits my grip best. Added wraps of tape on the lower portion of the grip feels best to me and allows me to get away with using a regular-sized grip on my longer clubs, which, in theory, allows for a more whippy swing through the impact zone. I use midsize on my wedges and irons though. I have been using the bigger size for 15 years or so. Anything else would feel weird. Took me awhile to get used to reg grips on driver/wood/hybrid. But the added wraps on the lower hand have helped, without affecting the designed swing weight, as midsize grips do.

I am going to try a standrd sized MCC+4 grip on my newly acquired AP3-718 graphite shafted 4 iron. The Plus 4 version is thicker at the bottom, but weighs just about the same as a regular MCC grip. With the new 4i already slightly different from the 5 and 6 AP3s I already carry, due to the graphite shaft in it, I thought the regular-sized Plus 4 with the wider lower hand would make a more comfortable transition between my midsized wedges and irons, and my regular-sized hybrid/3W/Dr with extra tape on the lower hand area.

See? I really am anal (retentive). :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:38 pm

I should come up with a better name perhaps. You can still build up with tape. I use a couple layers myself. But no more friggin carpeting tape. No adhesives and no solvent either. Maybe it's a solvent-less method. Air grips. I'll work on it. Anyways Doug I know you have said you take comfort in the old-fashioned process of cutting, stripping, re-taping, lubing. I understand that. I am also slow to change anything. But I believe you can find a new and even greater love in a different process. It is such a wonderful feeling to know that you could swap out your whole set of grips in a matter of minutes. People got excited when swappable driver heads came out. Swappable grips is almost as exciting IMO.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Been over a year since my sticks were gripped. Baby ass slick. Perusing the web I bought a 13 pack of Champkey thru Amazon. Never heard of em. Read the reviews and went for it. Put em on a couple weeks ago. I have always used Golf Pride cords and these look and feel exactly the same at 1/3 the cost.
Tee it up!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am

Ok so here is how to regret with air. You don't need the solvent, I use it because it makes getting the grip on part way easier also once it's on I can get the grip aligned like I want by twisting it.

I normally have the pump in the passenger seat and everything is a lot easier with it higher, I couldn't figure out how to get everything set up in this video.

It took me about 15 min to regrip all my clubs, oh and in that same 15 min I was testing out my sprinkler system prepping the grass for weed and feed.

Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 am

Oh and you can't see but I have 7 wraps of tape under my lower hand and 4 wraps under my upper hand on that club (wedge). It's blue painters tape and fades into my clothes.

Also that old grip was on there for 22 months.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:24 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am
Ok so here is how to regret with air.
Phew, just a typo. I thought this story was going to end with a big KABOOM.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:26 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:24 am
jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am
Ok so here is how to regret with air.
Phew, just a typo. I thought this story was going to end with a big KABOOM.
Proof reading ftw.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Thanks for posting. It is my life's mission to get Doug to at least try it.

I also like this method because it's the eco-friendly method. Not just less chemicals, less tape too. Can reuse your buildup layers. :up

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Yeah anyone that isn't putting grips on like this is making trump supporter look like geniuses.

There now if that doesn't convert Doug nothing will. :rofl
Keep it short stupid.