WTF did you buy today?

sjduffers

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Wow! That is service. I would have never expected them to be covered after the kind of abuse (just heavy use, really) that Doug gives his shoes.

So, Doug, what about my Contours? Are they sending me a free pair too? Cuz' I wore them pretty good after nearly two years... and now can't find them for sale. Just kidding of course: I am really happy with my new FootJoy Sport LT in black. I think I'll get a pair in white too. :)
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:10 pm

I have 3 pair of Sports in my rotation, though they are not used nearly as much as my DryJoys. The three pairs I have are white w/green trim, w/blue trim and w/silver trim. They are not the most recent model. I think they are from 2015. They are very comfortable. I wear them with shorts sometimes, but rarely with long pants. I like the more classic look of the DryJoys with the more traditional look of pants. Just me.

I gave away a pair of nearly new, but older model Contours (size 11) to a kid at the club last year. His old shoes were falling apart. I didn't wear the Contours because they were white with brown saddle (I don't do brown), and they were just sitting around collecting dust. Would have sent them to you had I known. Timing is everything I guess. Oh well, you got some good shoes. When I bought my Sports they were $120+ retail. Sounds like they have come down in price a little bit if you got yours for $90.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:28 pm

You did good giving your Contours (size 11) to that kid. I couldn't use them anyway (I need size 9). :) Yes, those Sports LT are super-comfortable and I wear shorts a lot (it's a California thing, I guess...), one more reason to not go with the DryJoys. I agree with you that they look good with pants in that classic look, but not as much with shorts. I picked the right shoes I think: aren't you glad I didn't go with Nike, lol? I think the Sports LT I got are last year's model and were discounted a bit (for a limited time) to reflect that.

ETA: I just ordered another FootJoy Sport LT pair in white. They'll be here next week.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 pm

A roll of lead tape from the online everything mart (aka Amazon).
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:27 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 pm
Going retro with lead tape on the toe (or heel). I like it. Everyone else in the golf world just loosens the dial on the driver shaft or the sole weights and adjusts it. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:45 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:27 pm
legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 pm
Going retro with lead tape on the toe (or heel). I like it. Everyone else in the golf world just loosens the dial on the driver shaft or the sole weights and adjusts it. :thumbs
Wooo hold up not everyone has an adjustable driver sir.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:06 am

So, after reading all the reviews and high-praise testimonials I bit the bullet and bought a MISIG training device. (Most Important Stretch In Golf. https://feelthestretch.com) I took advantage of the "special" $74 rate. They have been sending me marketing materials on and off ever since I checked out the device online a few months back. (Thank you Google.)

In any case, when it arrived last Saturday morning, I immediately opened the package and started trying it out, without reading the directions or watching the recommended video of how to use it properly. By late Saturday afternoon, I noticed my back was really uncomfortable. On Sunday, it was worse. The pain was centered in my thorasic spine area, but it went down to my lower back and up into my neck. I got a headache. As a result, I did not even attempt to play Saturday (as I had been considering earlier in the day), or even on Sunday, which I really wanted to do once I didn't play Saturday.

By Monday, it was still sore. I did not attempt to use the MISIG since Saturday and had no desire to do so. Late Monday, I forced myself to go play late in the day. Went out alone. Thankfully, it was quiet out there. I played okay but was very uncomfortable. It was hot and humid. The ball didn't seem to go very far with good ballstriking. I blamed it on the heat and humidity, even though I know that heat, nor humidity should have anyhing to do with it. I went out again on Tuesday. Again, played okay, scored fairly well, but felt I wasn't hitting the ball as long as I expected. I was short with many iron shots even feeling as if I struck the ball well. I took Wednesday off. 100+ degrees and extremely humid. Back didn't feel too much better anyway. Yesterday, I played again. Scored well, hit the ball well, but again, distance was not there. Most shots came up shorter than I felt they should even with good ballstriking.

Went to my chiropractor this morning. I explained my past week of pain and distance issues. He worked his magic. Released some major tension in my thorasic spine. He explained how that affected many small muscles, many of which might have something to do with my recent lack of distance. I feel much better now and trust that he was correct. I'll find out later if the projected TStorms hold off. I'm hopeful my regular iron distances will return.

As far as the MISIG goes, I will try it again, only next time I will do so AFTER reading through the instructions and watching the video. I have not heard any negative reviews on it, only the contrary, so I'm assuming I dove in too fast.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:43 pm

DougE wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:06 am
Went to my chiropractor this morning. I explained my past week of pain and distance issues. He worked his magic. Released some major tension in my thorasic spine. He explained how that affected many small muscles, many of which might have something to do with my recent lack of distance. I feel much better now and trust that he was correct. I'll find out later if the projected TStorms hold off. I'm hopeful my regular iron distances will return.
Doug, do you truly get relief from Chiropractor adjustments? I went to one once and didn't feel better in fact felt like somebody beat me with a 2x4". Then after the follow up visit (which was a lot of nothing) I felt like they were kind of a scam. ???
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm

John, I too, used to feel the same way you do, until I found a guy who knows what the hell he is doing. Very reputable. The problem with chiropractors is that many are not that knowledgeable and some are scammers. Those types ruin the image of the whole lot of them. When I was having some major upper spine problems and a kink in neck that was not going away, I was desperate. I researched every practice in my area. I looked for a well-established practice, with rave reviews anywhere I could find reviews. In the end, the great reviews were right. This is a practice with 4 chiropractors, but I see only one guy unless he is on vacation. Whenever I have issues, he fixes them. I never trusted any chiro until I found these guys. Very professional. My insurance covers most of it. And I can honestly say I get real relief with, not only back issues, but shoulder, hip and neck problems as well. These guys have proven to me that there are SOME who deserve respect. They have mine. The first time in my life I have ever believed in any chiropractor. Wading through the bullshitters and scammers really soured me on chiropractors in general,just like you. But these guys opened my eyes. Good ones are out there. Finding them is the hard part.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Well, I didn't buy but I was given a full set (Driver, 3 wood, 3 & 4 hybrids, 4-GW HF2) plus stand bag of the latest offering from Bridgestone to test. The all new Tour B JGR.

Sexy looking forged irons. The driver is quite draw biased and I'm snapping it left, but I'm going to play with the weight and possibly lead tape it to see of I turn the snap into a draw.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Bridgestone actually offers some nice irons. I have hit my club pro's who is a Bridgestone rep. I got some great results on the launch monitor. Of course it was inside off a mat last winter and not out on the course, but they did feel nice and gave me similar numbers to my own AP2s (of which I was fit). I think you will enjoy them.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

I have been. They're a beautiful iron to hit.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Congrats and interesting - my image of Bridgestone clubs is that they are more of a player's irons for much better players than any of us

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 pm

I haven't bought anything new other than a pull cart, which I'm not sure counts, all year and it's killing me. To be fair I bought enough stuff last year that I don't need anything new, but a guy needs a new toy every now and then. So I've been thinking new putter as I have been reading about new mallet technology and thinking that's something I should have. I then started to lay the groundwork to my wife that a Scotty would make a great Christmas present. Of course, the one I liked online is going to be over $600 so we now have to rethink that plan. And of course I've been putting really well since the move - with my blade. Not sure what I'll do but I do need that toy.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:29 pm
Congrats and interesting - my image of Bridgestone clubs is that they are more of a player's irons for much better players than any of us
Not sure I agree. We have a lot of good players here at LG, including yourself. Anyone who has a repeatable, controlled swing and decent swing speed can successfully play a blade, and frankly will likely get much better accuracy than with a GI iron.

I play Titleist blades (not musclebacks) and have no problem finding the sweetspot with them. Sure, on a poor swing I will get a poor result, but generally speaking I hit my irons well. Personally, I like a small blade rather than a chunky GI iron. I hit my AP2s (players iron) better than my AP3s which supposedly have more forgiveness designed into them than my AP2s, though they look very similar to each other. The main difference between a blade and a GI iron is forgiveness on mishits. The sweetspot on a players iron is typically smaller, but hit them both on the sweetspot and you will get similar distances assuming the same loft and shaft. If your swing is repeatable enough to hit the sweetspot most of the time, a players iron is the better choice IMO. You will be more accurate in the long run and be able to work the ball left and right, high and low, much easier with a players iron. A GI iron seems like a sledge hammer to me.

I was on the range today alongside one of our club pros. He had a Bridgestone blade (not sure of what model) and I had my AP2 Titleist players iron. Both 34* lofted 7 irons (similar loft to most GI 8 irons). We were hitting about the same distance. I hit the 155 yard green (center) 6 out of 6 times, on the fly. He did the same. I was thrilled I was getting the same distance he was. And accuracy. He's the one who gave me a 3 hour lesson early last year, which certainly fixed one swing flaw, but ultimately helped me get my handicap down from approximately 10 to (presently ) 6.1 as a result. It was a bit satisfying for me today, and I think surprised him, that I was as accurate and long as he was today. We were going shot for shot and I didn't lose.

Later, I picked up a friend of mine's game-improvement iron at the range and tried hitting it. I can't understand how anyone can hit those bulky things.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm

DOUGIE I need your help quick. Looking at Titleist wedges. Which grind do you have and why? Leaning towards the m or the s.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm
GBOGEY wrote:
Not sure I agree. We have a lot of good players here at LG, including yourself. Anyone who has a repeatable, controlled swing and decent swing speed can successfully play a blade, and frankly will likely get much better accuracy than with a GI iron.
Was not trying to insult anyone's ability, just I thought Bridgestone clubs were more for close to scratch golfers. I think you're the low man right now around 5. My swing, BTW, isn't repeatable enough for AP2's.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:30 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:13 pm
DOUGIE I need your help quick. Looking at Titleist wedges. Which grind do you have and why? Leaning towards the m or the s.
I have 2 58's with the M grind and 1 54 with the M grind and 1 54 with the S grind. I usually play with a 58M and a 54S. I think that gives me the flexibility I need for almost any shot / condition. I have, BTW, become a Titleist wedge convert after years of Callaway wedges.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:19 pm

You will need different grinds, not all the same. It depends on the types of shots you want to hit. And how steep your swing normally is. Also, the typical conditions of the courses you regularly play.

I use Vokey SM7s. A 50.08F, a 54.10S and a 58.12D. I use all three wedges for full swing shots as well as partial swing shots. I flop with my 58 and use it from most greenside bunkers as well. I hit it 85 yards with a full swing or use it for higher 50-70 yard pitches. I also use my 54 from greenside bunkers when the pin is a long way out, and I might also use it for a 50-yard low trajectory checking pitch. I actually chip and pitch with all three wedges, depending on distance, terrain and type of shot needed. I take a decent divot after the ball with all irons from 5i down, but obviously more so with wedges. I am definitely a trapper of the ball. Not a picker at all. I back up my wedges, PW and 9i. If you do the same, I would play more bounce than less. The M grind is pretty generic. The F grind is better for those who take divots. The S grind is best for square-faced shots, but I have no trouble using it opened up. The D grind is fantastic out of softer bunkers. I have played all grinds except the M, which doesn't seem like it fits MY game as well as the others I play. You may be different.

Here's a good place to see which Vokeys might fit your game and swing, without actually trying them out:
https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx

FYI, I used to play a very low bounce 60* Vokey L grind. I was afraid moving to a high-bounce 58 would be hard for me to flop. It was not. On the contrary. I'll be curious to hear which lofts and grinds are recommended for you using the above selection tool link.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:32 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 pm
DougE wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:05 pm
GBOGEY wrote:
Was not trying to insult anyone's ability, just I thought Bridgestone clubs were more for close to scratch golfers. I think you're the low man right now around 5. My swing, BTW, isn't repeatable enough for AP2's.
There's no way you, as a single digit handicapper, don't have a repeatable enough swing to play AP2s. I started playing AP2s as a 12 handicap back in 2011 and have never once felt that they were too much club for me. They helped make me a much better player. The feedback alone from a players club teaches you how to hit the ball better, let alone the accuracy you get after you get chummy with them. Once you get use to a players club, everything else feels wrong. I truly don't understand how most chunky game improvement irons really help you improve. They just mask your mishits and send the ball a longer distance, but they typically are nowhere near as accurate. In my book, you learn from your mistakes. A players iron will certainly highlight your mistakes, but you will learn to fix them much faster.

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:57 am

The new Tour B JGR line has 2 types of irons, the HF1, which is an SGI type https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/c ... hf1-irons- and the HF2 (which I got) which is a GI type https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/c ... hf1-irons-. As a mid capper, the HF2 is still a great club for me.
Last edited by MattF on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 am

I answered those questions the results were...
50/12 F
54/08 M
58/08 M

My current wedge are
49/07 v sole - least favorite wedge
53/13 (says 52/12 but bent weak 1 degree)
58/12

Maybe they are right and a medium bounce wedge is right for me. But my entire life I've played a high bounce 12+ degree wedge. I don't have issues hitting the ball with a wide open club face with 12-14 degrees of bounce. I like having a lot of bounce, to me bounce is like I'm cheating. It lets me hit shots "fat" and get away with it. I put fat in quotes because I often intentionally open the club face up and slam the bounce into the ground behind the ball. As I said to gbogey about Bermuda grass, it's how I grew up learning to pitch the ball. If you don't do it that way into the grain on Bermuda you will wind up in a world of hurt.

Currently I would never move to less bounce. Heck I'd consider more bounce then just grind some off the heel to make open faced shots a little bit easier. Right now, Ican hit lobs off baked out clay, maybe not a full flop but definitely with the club face open. I won't say it's easy, but opening up the club and getting under the ball from a tight lie is technique, not impossible. So I don't see any need for less bounce.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:28 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:20 am

Maybe they are right and a medium bounce wedge is right for me. But my entire life I've played a high bounce 12+ degree wedge. I don't have issues hitting the ball with a wide open club face with 12-14 degrees of bounce. I like having a lot of bounce, to me bounce is like I'm cheating. It lets me hit shots "fat" and get away with it. I put fat in quotes because I often intentionally open the club face up and slam the bounce into the ground behind the ball. As I said to gbogey about Bermuda grass, it's how I grew up learning to pitch the ball. If you don't do it that way into the grain on Bermuda you will wind up in a world of hurt.

Currently I would never move to less bounce. Heck I'd consider more bounce then just grind some off the heel to make open faced shots a little bit easier. Right now, Ican hit lobs off baked out clay, maybe not a full flop but definitely with the club face open. I won't say it's easy, but opening up the club and getting under the ball from a tight lie is technique, not impossible. So I don't see any need for less bounce.
After getting used to my Vokey SM6 58.12K from 2016, and then ultimately my new SM7 58.12D grind, I pretty much agree with everything you say.

When I was playing a low bounce 60, I was sure it was best for flops, particularly from tighter lies off firm surfaces. I now have as much confidence in my high bounce 58.12 as I did with the 60, from virtually any lie. This wedge selection tool is helpful in sending you in a good direction, but realistically, what feels right in your hands and in your mind, and looks good to your eye is typically what works best for you. Problem is, you have to try them all to know for sure. No different than any other type of club, except wedges need a more thorough test over a much bigger variety of conditions and shots.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks to GB and Doug for the advice. I did the questionnaire but didn't really have solid answers. Every question I pretty much threw my hands up, like "Dude, I hit balls off mostly off mats, play actual golf about once a month and when I do I suck and am very inconsistent--the fuck do I know about divots? Turf at my local course? I don't know, is astroturf considered firm or soft?" So after calming down I answered them not as the golfer that I am but the golfer that I wish to be ( :breaking ) and they told me to get: a 48, a 52, a 56 and a 60 degree wedge. Then I was like, Fuck off, motherfucker, I am looking for ONE 54 degree wedge. In tiny print at the bottom of the page they offered a "secondary recommendation", I clicked it and they're like FINE just get a 54 degree M grind. Jesus, was that so hard? :facepalm

Maybe I don't have a "shallow/neutral" attack on the ball. I don't know. But I would like to. I would like to be skilled enough to utilize the versatility offered by this particular grind. So that's what I got. Who knows, maybe it's all wrong for me and I will never hit a good shot with it. We'll see. :fuckall

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I must say that one of the reasons I stuck with Callaway wedges was that I found Titleist too confusing. Then last year Callaway confused me. That, and a Titleist day session, led me to try them and now I'm a big fan. Just hoping that they keep the system the same.

Beef - I found at my "fitting" that the "W" and "S" were the most versatile grinds. Since I play in lots of conditions and like to open the face a lot, they work for me and you can't really to wrong.