WTF did you buy today?

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:04 pm

I couldn't find the posting I made from last season, regarding the custom 4 iron I had built by Titleist to my specs. I thought an AP1-718 with a lightweight 65g Recoil graphite shaft would be a great alternative to a 22* hybrid. I had been hitting my 5i so well at that time, so thought maybe a 4i would work well too. It was an experiment I tried, which in the end, did not work the way I had hoped. I spec'ed it out with too light of a shaft and within a week or so, I had soured on it. I sold it on Ebay, used, for more than I paid for it new, only about a month later. (I had some credits and coupons when I bought new, so it cost me much less out of pocket than it should have.) In the end, I moved on and learned to live with the gap I had between my AP3 5i and 818H 19* hybrid.

Well, with so much time to think about clubs over the winter and not enough time actually playing, my mind wandered back to a 4i option. I looked on Ebay for the helluva it and there was a virtually new AP3-718 (same model as my 5 & 6 irons) with an 85 gram KuroKage TiNi shaft available. It was from a set that someone had purchased who could not hit the 4i so they removed it and put in a hybrid instead. In any case, I started thinking that it might work better than my last experiment, since I like the look of the smaller AP3 head far better than the bulky Game-Improvement-look of an AP1, and the shaft is more in line with what I should have ordered last time. The seller on Ebay had a Buy it Now price of $125 for the AP3. With that shaft, new, it would be about $167.00. So the price wasn't bad. It really looks virtually new in the pics. I'm sure he tried it a few times before deciding it was not for him. My problem was, he wanted $19 for shipping. That's $144 total. A bit more that I was willing to risk to try this 4i experiment a 2nd time. I offered him 90 bucks. He took it! So I'm all in this time around for $109 including shipping. I'm pretty confident if this one doesn't work out, I'll get more for it on Ebay than I paid. But, I am more hopeful that it WILL work out.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:35 pm

A bunch of stuff:

3 Golf Pride Z-GRIP Cord grips (for hybrid, 3w and driver)
1 Golf Pride MCC New Decade Red grip (for new 4 iron)
Scotty Cameron Pivot Tool, Black (to match my red one)
3 more Golf Polo Shirts (plus two FJ polos last week, mentioned above)
2016 Scotty Cameron Replacement Head Cover for my Newport 2
Swingyde Trainer

I get bored in the winter. I tend to shop. :facepalm

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Golf is an expensive hobby, when I am not playing, i'm buying golf stuff, when I am playing, i'm playing... no matter what, it costs :)

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:42 am

If you think golf is expensive don't take up fishing, specially saltwater.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:07 am

Or offshore yacht racing.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:30 am

DougE wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:07 am
Or offshore yacht racing.
pretty sure any "hobby" the word "yacht" in it will be expensive compared to golf.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am

I am thinking about buying a new golf glove. My current one is relatively new and I have a spare. Decisions, decisions.

I buy the MG Golf ones where you actually get two. The "Tech" ones with the spandex in the knuckles. I have not pulled the trigger yet so technically I shouldn't be posting yet.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:50 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am
I am thinking about buying a new golf glove. My current one is relatively new and I have a spare. Decisions, decisions.

I buy the MG Golf ones where you actually get two. The "Tech" ones with the spandex in the knuckles. I have not pulled the trigger yet so technically I shouldn't be posting yet.
Go for it!

We will all support your decision. :yess

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:21 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:40 am

Last time I bought them they are no longer 2 for 1. They just cut the price in half and you buy them individually now. Maybe they went back.
Keep it short stupid.