WTF did you buy today?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm

jattruia wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:50 pm
It's gonna be tough to find a single iron. I just found an MP 59 in 'good' condition with a Project X 5.5 shaft for $99. So, kinda pricey for just one iron.

https://www.ironfinder.com/item_detail.asp?sku=125356
DougE wrote:There are 4 MP 59 8 irons available on Ebay right now. You can easily find a Project X 5.5 shaft to re-shaft any of them with.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0
Between these two sites you should be covered. I've replaced the 3 and 5 irons in my set, no problem and it's a pretty old set.
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Usually the company can get you a replacement but you may have to use an authorized rep. I was able to get a replacement 5i last year for my G25's. They may want a serial number from one of your clubs to verify that it's legit. Costs about the same as an individual iron, but cheaper than a whole new set.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Yes, but at least in Mizuno's case, the model of the iron you want still has to be in production, and that may mean that you can only do this 2 to 3 years after the club introduction to the market, as things get obsoleted quickly. I "lost" (more like someone took it from my bag at the range as I never used that club that day) a 7 iron JPX 825 Pro and Mizuno couldn't get me a replacement, less than 3 years after I had bought the set new, just a few months after introduction. I have since made that set my secondary set and got a new replacement set (JPX 900 Forged) for my primary.

I played for a year without a 7 iron, because I couldn't find one on the various sites, including ironfinder.com... and getting a random 7 iron instead could mean get a duplicate 8 iron, or a duplicate 6 iron, just as easily as a properly matched 7 iron... Truth be told, I got pretty good at managing my game with either 8i or 6i, adjusting flights as necessary to the point that I don't miss it anymore (in my secondary set, which gets several months of play a year).
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm
I have since made that set my secondary set and got a new replacement set (JPX 900 Forged) for my primary.
Mizzy JPX 900s would be one of my top considerations if I couldn't have my Titleist AP2s or AP3s. I have hit both the JPX 850 Pros and the 900 Pros. Very nice feel. Good distance. Forgiving. Workable. And also of utmost importance, nice to look at. I was quite impressed. I still love a players-style iron for my 7i to PW. A thin top line and small blade fits my eye best, but the JPX 900 isn't big by any stretch. Really one of the nicest GI irons on the market, bordering on a players' style. And the awesome Mizzy forging is undeniably sweet feeling.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:40 pm

Mizzy JPX 900s would be one of my top considerations if I couldn't have my Titleist AP2s or AP3s. I have hit both the JPX 850 Pros and the 900 Pros. Very nice feel. Good distance. Forgiving. Workable. And also of utmost importance, nice to look at. I was quite impressed. I still love a players-style iron for my 7i to PW. A thin top line and small blade fits my eye best, but the JPX 900 isn't big by any stretch. Really one of the nicest GI irons on the market, bordering on a players' style. And the awesome Mizzy forging is undeniably sweet feeling.
You nailed it. That's exactly what I think of them. They are pretty (and they work well)! :ohyeah

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 am

I did some research and narrowed it down to either the JPX 900 Forged or the MP-18 MM which is basically the replacement for the 59. Went to the golf shop today and tried them both. Came scary close to putting down the deposit on the MP’s but decided to think it over. Then I went home and ordered one of those used 59’s on eBay. It’s not the same shaft but it’s close enough. Whatever.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm

I got my eBay 8 iron.

It's a 1/2" shorter than stock. Same length as my 9 iron. Damnit.

Guess I'll be re-shafting now.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 am

jfurr wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm
I got my eBay 8 iron.

It's a 1/2" shorter than stock. Same length as my 9 iron. Damnit.

Guess I'll be re-shafting now.
Short people :nope
Build a bridge and get over it.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:26 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:10 am

Short people :nope
:fk :fuckall :wah
Throw me another ball will ya!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 pm

I’m just pissed that $70 plus whatever it’ll cost to reshaft grip etc versus a new club is $150. I only carry 5-PW so I could have been 1/6 the way towards a new set. I’ll see what the shop says on reshaft or extend vs sending it back and getting a new set.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Or a new used set

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Gonna cost about $75 to reshaft :facepalm

I did see on the clearance rack a set of MP-H5 on sale. I hit the 7 iron felt nice. KBS taper 110 shaft. Hmmm. Might see about trading in my Pings on those

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Yesterday I finally broke down and got a hybrid for my primary set. After trying to love my 4 iron for over a year, I realize I can only manage to hit it well when the ball is teed up, so that kind of limits its usefulness... I found a real nice 4 hybrid on the Callaway PreOwned website for around $85 (there was a 25% off promotion that day). I had to pay for shipping and CA sales tax but it's still only about $100 to my door. I already have a 4H in my secondary set and I love that club (because the irons in that set were only 5-GW), but this last time I went 4-GW (or the full iron set), thinking I'd learn to hit and love a 4 iron. Nope. Not me!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:56 pm

I really liked those H5 Mizunos I hit the other day. I did some reading up and though they are a few years old the price is pretty good on the discounted rack set and I can probably trade in my PING i20's. The H5 are forged, little offset but hidden behind the back is a huge weighted area and cavity perimeter stuff. Pretty unique semi muscle back design, The shafts were nice feeling too. KBS Taper 110 or maybe 105? I prefer chrome shafts and these had a flat silver paint job but whatever. I'm going to go back and try them again and maybe work out a deal.

Dumb idea?

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 pm
Yesterday I finally broke down and got a hybrid for my primary set. After trying to love my 4 iron for over a year, I realize I can only manage to hit it well when the ball is teed up, so that kind of limits its usefulness... I found a real nice 4 hybrid on the Callaway PreOwned website for around $85 (there was a 25% off promotion that day). I had to pay for shipping and CA sales tax but it's still only about $100 to my door. I already have a 4H in my secondary set and I love that club (because the irons in that set were only 5-GW), but this last time I went 4-GW (or the full iron set), thinking I'd learn to hit and love a 4 iron. Nope. Not me!
I like my hybrid 4, it's been my fav long club for years. I probably need to consider a new one as mine (PING i15) is probably from around 2010 or so?

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 pm

I thought this was pretty good - came from newsletter the pro I took lessons from sent out

GOLF TIP
HYBRIDS OR LONG IRONS?
In golf instruction one thing that is very hard to change is club head speed, and it is the most important factor to consider when you are choosing between a long iron and a hybrid.

When it comes to hitting effective long-iron shots, that takes ample club head speed. Most golfers fall short in that department, which is why hybrids were created. By design hybrids are easier to get in the air by creating a higher launch angle, more spin, and more ball speed - all good things for golfers who don't have a lot of club head speed. Long irons are for high speed players, plain and simple.

Hybrid/Long Iron Guidelines:

If you hit a 7 iron 140 yards or less, then a 6 iron should be the longest iron in your set. The 3,4,& 5 should be hybrids.
If you hit your 7 iron 150-160 yards, consider nothing longer that a 5 iron , 3 & 4 should be hybrids
If you can hit your 7 iron 170 yards, nothing longer than a 4 iron, 3 should be a hybrid
If you can hit your 7 iron more than 170 yards; you can use any set make up you choose.

Speed is vital to lift and the design of the hybrid can be a huge help.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 pm

jfurr wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:57 pm
sjduffers wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 pm
I like my hybrid 4, it's been my fav long club for years. I probably need to consider a new one as mine (PING i15) is probably from around 2010 or so?
If you do, keep your old 4 hybrid around, just in case. I have an 07 TaylorMade Burner Hybrid that I really like, and while I might upgrade my 3 hybrid, I do not like the profiles of the 4s as compared to my current one.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:22 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 pm
If you hit a 7 iron 140 yards or less, then a 6 iron should be the longest iron in your set. The 3,4,& 5 should be hybrids.
If you hit your 7 iron 150-160 yards, consider nothing longer that a 5 iron , 3 & 4 should be hybrids
If you can hit your 7 iron 170 yards, nothing longer than a 4 iron, 3 should be a hybrid
If you can hit your 7 iron more than 170 yards; you can use any set make up you choose.
Great tip! Thanks. I hit my 7 iron around 140-145 yards, and I can manage the 5 and 6 irons just fine, from punch shots to flighted or high ones, and draws as well as fades. But the 4 iron is too much, unless it is teed up. Speed may indeed be the main factor. I don't have a 3 iron or hybrid: it's straight to the 5 wood after the 4. I tried a 3 hybrid before and it was basically the same yardage as the 5 wood, and the 5 wood may be my favorite club (besides the putter). That also allows me to carry a 60 wedge, which I only use when badly short sided or for short bunker shots, so not much at all.

Anyway, that dilemma is resolved. The 4 hybrid will be here by week's end. :thumbs

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:49 am

Spoiler I didn't buy anything.

This weekend I went to a trampoline park in the mall with my son, niece and nephew. I "volunteered" to head to Dicks and pick up baseball cleats for my son (tee ball this spring) while my wife and sister-in-law watched them bounce on crap.

While I was at Dicks I decided to hit some drivers given mine is pretty old. I hit the rogue and M3. It wasn't really a "fair" assessment (I was in jeans, and didn't have my club). But I wasn't impressed. I was able to spray those all over the place just like I can do my current driver. Although they both seemed to hook more than my current driver.

I saw a Taylormade P790 7i sitting on the wall in the demo area. I asked if I could hit it a couple times because I've thought that club seemed interesting.
I hit it 5 or 6 times.
Man I have to say that club is super hot. I'm not sure how it compares to my 7i (descent angle and spin rate and dispersion are all I care about in irons). But this thing was really hard to misshit. After hitting 3 or 4 that I thought were "too simple" I purposely hit one off the toe and heel. Not much difference. With 2 intentionally poor strikes my average distance was 180 carry 188 total. When you pull those 2 out it was 183/191. I hit one of them 198 yards.

I'm really not sure how I would fit that kind of distance into my bag. I see it really compressing the top half of my set and having big gaps at the bottom. I assume I'd have to include 5 wedges (PW, GW from that set, then my current GW-LW). Or since they are forged maybe weaken the lofts a little on the 7i & 8i then go to a more blade style 9i & PW. I could figure out how to make it work. I think I'd lean towards getting 4i-GW of these things and bend them to make more of an even gaping structure. I assume like all taylormade they have 5* gaps in the higher lofts and 3* gaps near the top. I'm hoping I could gap them for 10 yard gaps starting at a 135-140 yard GW. That would let me fit my current 3 wedges into the bottom. Then I'd drop my 3h like celery from a fat kids hand.

I'd love to see a 2i in that club, if I could hit it that easily and it went the distance I think it will go based on the 7i. I'd order it and play with out a driver on short/tight courses. I assume I could average 240+ with a 2i and if it were as easy to hit as the 7i I'd be happy snapping my driver in 2 pieces. It would give me 2 clubs in my bag that go that 240-250 distance (2i and 3w) but I assume I could hit 2i off the tee and 3w from the FW. Hell if the 2i was simple to hit off the FW maybe I'd just drop the 3w all together. But last I heard tmade doesn't have a 2i in that club.

Also, I'm 99% sure the distances weren't jacked up on the machine, as the driver numbers all seemed reasonable.

But man I want to go back and compare that thing to my own 7i to see what descent and spin rates look like. From what I've seen on the internet it's really pretty comparable to most other 7i (other than the fact it goes so much further).
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:58 am

Also I really don't like the look of some of the GI irons they seem like they are huge and I already don't hit hybrids & woods very well. So why do I want irons that look like that? It just makes me want to vomit standing over the ball.

These although the top line was a little thicker than what I am use to it wasn't gaudy.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:46 am

Mizzy JPX 900 and Titleist AP3-718 are two other GI irons to consider. Neither has a bulky look, both are very forgiving and in fact, the AP3 looks nearly the same as an AP2 (Players Iron) at address. I put three AP3s in my bag to go with four AP2s from PW to 7i. I had to keep my AP2 7i in the bag along with the new AP3 7i, because the gap between the AP2 8i and AP3 7i was 20-25 yards in warmer temps. Titleist markets the new AP3 as their "Player's Distance Iron." I can attest to the distance, forgiveness and players look of these irons.

I have also hit the Mizzys a few times, as a couple guys I know play them. Sweet as well. Forged. And very nice looking.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:49 am
Man I have to say that club is super hot. I'm not sure how it compares to my 7i (descent angle and spin rate and dispersion are all I care about in irons). But this thing was really hard to misshit. After hitting 3 or 4 that I thought were "too simple" I purposely hit one off the toe and heel. Not much difference. With 2 intentionally poor strikes my average distance was 180 carry 188 total. When you pull those 2 out it was 183/191. I hit one of them 198 yards.
One of the things they talked about on the Hot List podcast was that the technology advancements are bigger around forgiveness and better shots on toe and heel hits. In fact, the sweet spot hits are not showing as much improvement. That said, it you hit the sweet spot and the face is too open or closed, you can hit it even further off line - thus my F7 driver I bought last year.

One of the reasons I doubled down on my Ping G25's (besides the fact that I do well with them) is I like the lengths - the 5i is 37.75 inches and 26 degrees and is as much of an iron that I can handle - I was taught that most amatuers struggle starting at 38 inches and 24 degrees. Most but not all 5i are now longer.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:28 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm

One of the reasons I doubled down on my Ping G25's (besides the fact that I do well with them) is I like the lengths - the 5i is 37.75 inches and 26 degrees and is as much of an iron that I can handle - I was taught that most amatuers struggle starting at 38 inches and 24 degrees. Most but not all 5i are now longer.
That was the other thing I forgot to mention when I got that 7i in my hand it felt more like a 5.5i in terms of length. So I'm sure that has something to do with it too.

I know when I do plan to get new irons I will most certainly be chopping them from what I've seen on the market. My plan would be to cut all of my wedges for my set to the exact same length. Then from there determine what my "max" length is I'm comfortable with (probably between my current 4 and 5i) and make some even stepping between them. From there I can then bend lofts to get the right gaps.

At least that is my plan, I'm not a "tech" guy so there might be issues with that plan.

I don't intend to get new irons for another couple years (sorry to disappoint I don't play the same number of rounds as Doug).
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm

I think when I was thinking about buying a set last year Titleist and Mizuno were the only ones where a 5i was a 4.5i - everyone else the 5i was a 4i compared to my Pings, and my Pings were only 3 years old. I figure if I wait 5 more years on new irons, my irons will start with a 7i and I'll have 5 wedges.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Still waiting on the 8 iron to be reshafted. I called the shop, the still are waiting for the KBS to come in. I have a 8:40 tee time tomorrow I was hoping to game my clubs. Still thinking about trading my PINGs for the H5s. Might go in there this afternoon and try to horse trade.