Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Still no 8 iron :onfire
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:05 am

Hooray got my club fixed. One weekend to practice before the beach trip.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 am

Titleist 818H1 19* Hybrid. Been planning to acquire one, but was looking for a "special deal" on one with the exact shaft I wanted. Taking my 915F2 5W out of the bag.

Retail $279.99 + tax = $297.48. (No discounts allowed by retailers on Titleist equipment.)
My "back door" deal: $221.00, all in (through a Titleist dealer I met at a Vokey wedge fitting last Sunday).

Now I'm working on another special deal to replace my worn out, 2-year-old, SM6 wedges, maybe from the same dealer.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Has anyone bought anything from fairway golf USA?

I am seriously considering the P790 2i sight unseen. It worries me a little because it's supposedly new but cost is about $50 less than I could get it direct from TM.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 pm

I bought a new Titleist Vokey SM7 58.12D in Tour Chrome to replace my SM6 58K (gray steel finish) a couple weeks ago. Liked it so much I replaced my SM6 54.10S last week with the same loft and grind in a new SM7. Both looked so nice in my bag that I finished off the set by replacing my SM6 50.08F with a new SM7 50.08F today. Love these things.

Found a way to get a few dollars off on each of them. Paid no shipping or tax. Total for all three was $406. Retail + tax would have been $488. Not bad.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:23 pm

I have been using FootJoy Contour shoes for as long as I remember and even bought some pairs before I actually needed them, in fear that I may not find them in the future. Guess what? That day has arrived. I am on the last legs of my last pair and for some unknown reason, Footjoy is not making them anymore: they've succumbed to "modern styling" and have something called Contour FIT that is positively ugly (IMHO, of course)...

So, I ask DougE, and others if they would like to chime in, what FootJoy shoes do you use and like? I have looked at their website and nothing really speaks to me, or is like $200. I'd like to keep the damage under $100 if possible.

PS: I should have bought a boatload of these FootJoy Contour shoes while I had a chance... Argh!!!
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:21 pm

How about a pair of DryJoy Tours from last year? I presently have 4 or 5 pairs of Dryjoy Tours. Have been wearing them as my primary shoe for years. They are expensive, but worth it. Very comfortable, classic styling, 2 year waterproof warranty, and in my opinion, the best looking traditional style shoe on the market anywhere. They presently retail for $190, but the ones with the brown gator from 2017 are on sale for around $130-140 at various places around the internet. Still a bit more than you want to spend, but these are great shoes. I think they are better than the $250+ Icons. I would buy a pair of those myself, except I don't do brown. I'm a White w/White Gator, White w/Black Gator, White w/Navy Gator and Black w/Black Gator kinda guy. No browns for me.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:35 pm

BTW, just checked Ebay. There are all sorts and styles of new/in box Contours for sale from last season. Some pretty cheap. Also, there are a few DryJoys Tour for sale as well, new, last season models for as little $99, but it is hit or miss with sizes.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks Doug. I have worn brown shoes in the past (either all brown or with the brown stripe), but these days, I feel like I need either all white or all black. Yes, those DryJoy Tours look nice, but as you say, there are close to $200.

I don't know, I may have to bite the bullet... or go to another brand: I know, heresy! :lolz

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:34 pm

So I went to a Golf Galaxy to look at shoes in person and try a few pairs. I didn't look at just FootJoy by the way.

The Nike Lunar 2 looked pretty good and were on sale at just under $100: they just didn't have my size and color so I would have to order them online (no big deal).

The Adiddas don't look good to me, but they have a very wide selection. The Under Armour looked fine and one model was under consideration at a bit over $100.

The Footjoy Dryjoy Tours look great but as Doug said they are $190 (before taxes). The FootJoy Original sort of look like the old Contours but they are cheaply made and still $80. I tried the FootJoy Sport LT which looked better in person than on a web site and felt pretty good, for $90 (normally $20 or so more). I got a pair in black. If I like wearing them after a few rounds I might get another pair in white.

There, the deed is done, and I am staying with FootJoy (barely)! :yess

BTW, while I was in there I had a few clubs regripped: fairway woods (and driver) and wedges. They only charge $3 per club to do the work and the grips are priced competitively, so why not? :thumbs

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I'm in beefs boat. Why pay $3 to someone per club when blowing a grip off then on with air is so easy?

Guess I'm just cheap

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:06 pm
I'm in beefs boat. Why pay $3 to someone per club when blowing a grip off then on with air is so easy?

Guess I'm just cheap
Perhaps. I don't have an air compressor and would probably have no use for one other than regripping club? How long before I would break even?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm

I use my electric tire pump that plugs into my cigarette lighter in my truck. An air compressor is over kill and will probably cause a higher likelihood of damaging the grip.

The tire pump was $25 so break even is about 8 grips.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:18 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 pm
I use my electric tire pump that plugs into my cigarette lighter in my truck. An air compressor is over kill and will probably cause a higher likelihood of damaging the grip.

The tire pump was $25 so break even is about 8 grips.
Thanks! Good tip. I may have to look into getting one of those.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Just keep in mind you won't see a benefit the first time. You'll still need to cut the old grips off, get rid of the tape, add single sided tape (if you want tape wraps, I used painters tape) then blow the new grip on.

But the 2nd time you just blow it off and blow a new one on.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 am

Understood. The benefit the first time is to not have to deal with solvent and to be able to do it simply, without paying someone (at the expense of a bit of time to clean the old situation up).

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:52 am

I'm about due for some new grips. Specially on my 7i, Dr and wedges. I think I'll video it and put it on YouTube to add to the get a grip thread.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:12 am

If you use a compressor that you can dial in the pressure, set it around 30-45psi. If you have it set to blow your tyres up (90psi) you risk ballooning the grip and stretching it out so much to be unusable...been there, done that.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:39 am

I know, this sounds like a crappy gift, but my wife got me 30 Golf Pride MCC New Decade grips last Christmas. I specifically asked for them since I go through so many grips each year. When you think about it, at 11 bucks each, it's really not a bad gift at all. I still have about 10 or 12 left. I'll be blowing through those within a month or two, for sure. In fact, now that you mention it JFish, my driver is due for a new grip now. Weekend to-do list.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

So I couldn't actually pull the trigger on the 2i. For a couple reasons. The main one was I couldn't test it out, the 2nd is I'm having issues getting my 4i in the air off the deck. So I did some testing and found it pretty difficult to consistently hit 4i off the deck, and if I drop my 4i I need something that will carry 190-195 yards off the deck to fill a gap in my bag. So I caved and got a 4h.

This was a tough choice because, I actually love my 4i off the tee. I can launch that thing. Also I've historically had issues with hooking the crap out of hybrids, but the more my swing is getting into a "good place" the more I can reduce the hook miss with hybrids.

Probably as a subconscious nod to my 4i, I decided I wasn't going to buy a new one. It will be easier to throw the 4h into the dark room of no return and put the 4i back in the bag if I didn't drop $200+ on the hybrid. So I went to a store with a large supply of used clubs. I know I don't care what's stamped on the bottom of the club but I do want a stiff shaft and preferably slightly heavier to prevent the hook. So I tested some 3h, 4h, and 5h (only found 1 with a shaft I liked) to see what would fill the gap.

The newer the clubs were the hotter they were. I hit a SLDR 4h (22*) that I was carrying 215 yards consistently, even though I didn't want it I wanted to see what I could do and really took a rip at one that I carried 230 with a "total" of 250+ (they had the FW set to firm). That thing was crazy long. I kept dialing up the years on the clubs until I found something to fill the gap. I wound up with a Titleist 910 4h set to max loft and max fade. I was still averaging probably around 195-200 with it, but I was able to choke up and hit it 190 when needed.

When I do eventually get around to getting new irons, I feel it's going to be a complete bag overhaul. The new technology is crazy with how far the ball goes. I have a feeling I'll have a bag make up with Dr, 3w/4w, 3/4h, 5i-9i then a butt ton of wedges (yes it's a technical term) and a putter. This is because I'm not a huge fan of big gaps in the bottom of my bag, I'd much prefer to have gaps >200 yards than 80-140 yards.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am

I used to have a 910H 4 hybrid. Very nice club. Accurate. I think I sold mine on Ebay a few years back for about 50 bucks. Hope you got a good deal.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 am

DougE wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:42 am
I used to have a 910H 4 hybrid. Very nice club. Accurate. I think I sold mine on Ebay a few years back for about 50 bucks. Hope you got a good deal.
$45 plus tax, and I got them to throw in the club head cover.

I had a feeling I should have walked out and checked with you for your used clubs haha.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:45 pm

I didn't buy anything today, but I wanted to come back to the FootJoy conversation from a week or so ago.

After some heavy rain a couple weeks back, I was wearing my pair of white w/white gator Footjoy Dryjoys. I got these shoes for Christmas of 2016. They are my favorite pair of about 8 or 9 pairs of Footjoys in my rotation right now. I wear them more than all other pairs combined. So, they have gotten pretty beaten up over the past year and a half. I already had a new pair of these same shoes on my list of things I want/need to buy this year. That new pair would be my 4th pair of these same white on white shoes. They go with virtually every outfit I can put together.

In any case, the last time I wore them, the rough was thick and wet. Didn't get my socks wet one bit. However, the next time I went to put them on, I noticed one of the worn-in creases on the leather uppers had actual slightly split open down along the sole from so much use and abuse over the last 18 months. I had never seen this before on a pair of Dryjoys. And I have had many pairs of Dryjoys over the last 5 or 6 years in all sorts of trim colors and styles.

So, I looked up the warranty specifics and found that crease splitting is not necessarily covered, particularly when the shoes have not been properly maintained. I take care of my shoes, and try to keep them clean, but it is not a daily practice on my part to wash them down and dry them after every round. I polish them every few months and I keep them in my dry locker at the club. I have recently started using shoe trees in all my shoes, but these went more than a year before ever getting them. So, I thought this problem may not be covered. No big deal, I was planning to buy a new pair anyway. I just don't have an extra $190 right now.

Well, thinking it couldn't hurt to give them a call to see what I should expect warranty-wise, I did. I was told they would have to take a look at them. They asked me to send them in with my contact info and they would let me know.

I called to check on them today, to see what they thought and was told that a brand new pair was sent out to me on Friday. Should be there today. $190 saved. No questions asked. I did however mention in my note to them when I sent in the shoes that I was a die hard Titleist/Footjoy loyalist. Guess it paid off. These will be better taken care of. And have their own special shoe trees.

Footjoy is a good company.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 pm

I don't think I've ever read a better written treatise on warranty coverage of crease splitting. Nicely done.