WTF did you buy today?

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

WTF did you buy today?

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:13 am

THE OFFICIAL (UNAUTHORIZED) EQUIPMENT THREAD

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:21 am

Today went to buy golf gloves for my 2 kids (playing 9 holes tomorrow). One small right and one small left glove.

While there, I picked up a new Lynx BC1-D putter. It's their new 2014 model. $40, and had it cut down an inch to 34". Milled face and has a nice weight to it (heavier than the old Black Cat model).

Golfsmith bought Lynx back in late 90's and what have you.

For whatever reason that I can't figure out, they put a sub letter after the model names for the 2014 revisions.

The 8802 model is now the BC1-D. Their anser style putter is the BC2-B. Their face balanced mallet is the BC3-B.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30149189/lynx-2014-black-cat-putter

Not that it makes a damned bit of difference, but the fact that I don't know what those letters designate is gnawing the shit out of me. I must know.

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 769
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby bryan k » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 am

I bought a chipping club a couple of weeks ago. I consolidated wedges to compensate. So now I play a 47 degree pitching wedge, a 52 degree sand wedge, and a 58 degree lob wedge.

I bought the chipping club primarily to hit out of the desert. However, I'm finding it has three purposes. 1) Hitting out of the desert 2) Getting some loft on those tight shots where there isn't enough room to take a full swing and I would ordinarily want to use my putter and 3) Any time I'm near the green, want to putt, but can't because there is something (like a sprinkler head) in the way.

Interestingly, I've used it maybe 4-5 times for reason number 1 with mixed results (mostly bad). I've used it twice for number 2 with good results. I've used it twice for number 3, and I sunk them both.

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:49 am

bryan k wrote:I bought a chipping club a couple of weeks ago. I consolidated wedges to compensate. So now I play a 47 degree pitching wedge, a 52 degree sand wedge, and a 58 degree lob wedge.

I bought the chipping club primarily to hit out of the desert. However, I'm finding it has three purposes. 1) Hitting out of the desert 2) Getting some loft on those tight shots where there isn't enough room to take a full swing and I would ordinarily want to use my putter and 3) Any time I'm near the green, want to putt, but can't because there is something (like a sprinkler head) in the way.

Interestingly, I've used it maybe 4-5 times for reason number 1 with mixed results (mostly bad). I've used it twice for number 2 with good results. I've used it twice for number 3, and I sunk them both.


The guy I usually play with has a chipper. He loves that thing. Yours isn't a double sided, is it? Cuz then it counts as 2 clubs.

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby jfurr » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:57 am

I use my hybrid (23°) as a chipper
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:06 pm

jfurr wrote:I use my hybrid (23°) as a chipper


I do that as well, except that it's 24'.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 769
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby bryan k » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
bryan k wrote:I bought a chipping club a couple of weeks ago. I consolidated wedges to compensate. So now I play a 47 degree pitching wedge, a 52 degree sand wedge, and a 58 degree lob wedge.

I bought the chipping club primarily to hit out of the desert. However, I'm finding it has three purposes. 1) Hitting out of the desert 2) Getting some loft on those tight shots where there isn't enough room to take a full swing and I would ordinarily want to use my putter and 3) Any time I'm near the green, want to putt, but can't because there is something (like a sprinkler head) in the way.

Interestingly, I've used it maybe 4-5 times for reason number 1 with mixed results (mostly bad). I've used it twice for number 2 with good results. I've used it twice for number 3, and I sunk them both.


The guy I usually play with has a chipper. He loves that thing. Yours isn't a double sided, is it? Cuz then it counts as 2 clubs.


Nope. One side only. USGA conforming. I don't "love" it. It has a specific purpose, though. I don't want to ruin a real club hitting out of the rocks.

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 769
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby bryan k » Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 pm

I have given up on the chipper. The problem isn't that I can't hit it. The problem is that I am far more accurate with my wedges.

I have changed to a very non-conventional wedge format.

I have my 47 degree pitching edge that is part of my iron set.

I then have a 53 degree gap wedge that has a high bounce angle. The reason I went back to four wedges is because I couldn't turn this 53 degree gap wedge into a sand wedge. The lower loft angle made it extremely uncomfortable to open up the face. Therefore, I began struggling in bunkers and on the fluffy lies around the greens that I used to love hitting from. I still use this wedge for full shots and for green side chips where I need a lot of roll.

My next wedge is a 56 degree "sand" wedge that has a high bounce angle. This is my go to wedge around the green. I had taken this one out of my bag for a while, and I think that was a huge mistake. I can hit just about any kind of shot with this wedge. The only shots I can't hit are the ones from a tight lie on a hard, closely manicured fairway or the shots from hard-pan or desert surfaces. I should have never taken my most deadly weapon out of my arsenal.

Lastly, I am carrying a 58 degree "lob" wedge that has a very low bounce angle. I will never take a full swing shot with this wedge. It is strictly for opening up the face to get underneath hard-pan and desert shots. Also, it comes in handy because Phoenix bunkers tend to be very hard.

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed May 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Bryan - I have a low-mid bounce 50 gap, a high bounce 54 sand and a low bounce 60 lob.

Most of the bunkers I hit out of are not 'fluffy' and so I hit my 60 lob (square faced to the ball or slightly open) 95% of the time. However, most of my chips around the green are with the 54.

So I agree with most of your techniques above. However, when you say in your 2nd to last sentence that you open up the face of your low bounce 58 to get underneath hard pan/desert, what exactly do you mean? Do you take a hard swing and take a divot (like a blast), or are you skimming between the ball and the ground? I'd think that opening up the face would expose more bounce and you'd risk blading it. Where do you play those shots in your stance?

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 769
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby bryan k » Thu May 14, 2015 8:43 am

I think my 58* wedge has 2* of bounce. This allows me to open up the club face quite a bit without the bounce getting in the way, and that's what I do with the hard pan bunker shots and desert shots. I actually struggle more with the tight fairway shots where the ground is hard and the grass is about 1/3 of a millimeter long. My objective with those shots is to open the club face a bit more than normal and to sweep under the ball with a shallow backswing. Believe it or not, my biggest challenge with this shot is not bouncing into the ball (too fat). I actually think that a tiny bit of bounce helps this shot. Either way, if I hit this shot too fat, with such a small bounce angle, the club is going to get stuck either way unless I'm shooting off of polished concrete. My problem with this shot tends to be hitting the ball too thin. Typically, I don't take a divot, per se, with this shot. At most, I will rough up the grass a little bit in front of the ball. I try to play the ball forward in my stance with this shot, but not as far forward as, say, a bunker shot in soft sand. I usually have a very narrow and open stance with all of my weight on my front foot, and the ball is probably in the middle of the stance or maybe just a hair forward from middle.

The problem I have with keeping my clubface closed on these shots (or any shots with a club with a low bounce angle) is hitting the ball too fat and having the club get stuck. That's why I don't ever take full swings with my 58* wedge. Usually, with the ground as hard as it is, the club still bounces into the ball creating a bladed shot at about half the speed as my intended shot. It's funny when these shots end up right next to the pin, but they are usually unpredictable. They go too far or don't go far enough. If the ground is soft, the club gets stuck, and I get a 20 yard shot. I've tried all kinds of stances with this shot. I think the most correct way is to put the ball in the back of my stance, but even then, I tend to hit it fat, as putting the ball in the back of my stance kind of requires a steep swing.

Do you think I might be missing anything with my analysis? I spend more time practicing my chipping than all other aspects of my game combined, so I've experimented with a lot of different techniques. However, I also believe that if I am practicing incorrectly, that isn't going to help me play correctly, so input is always appreciated.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 3447
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:18 pm

New irons in the house! TaylorMade SpeedBlades, 5-PW plus a gapper and a sandy.

Relax, I haven't gone to the dark side. They are the lady's new clubs. Previous irons I set her up with, AP1's, weren't working out on account of the senior shafts. Not so much the flex but the weight and the shaft diameter were too much. So I got her some "L" flex irons. Man, the market for females' golf clubs is such a buyer's market. Makes me jealous. Especially TM stuff, you can get the latest stuff at unreal bargains. So, now she has almost a full bag of kewl TM sticks. I told her she's now on board with the likes of Day, Dustin, Sergio etc. which she deemed acceptable. The irons look surprisingly cool, not too clunky. And they have that forgiveness slot in the sole. I should just go have a hit with these things. I'll report back.
insufficient data

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 769
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby bryan k » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:59 pm

I feel the need to update my club selection. I brought the chipper back. The primary reason is because I need a short club to hit out of tough spots where there is limited area to swing, the ground is rocky, and I have to keep the ball low. I've updated my wedges as well. I've kept the 50* with high bounce, and I went back to the 56* with high bounce. I've been practicing the desert shots I talked about above, and they don't give me nearly as much trouble as they used to even with a high bounce club. The desert is like moon dust. It's hard, but it's also dusty. It crumbles when you apply force. It will give if you hit it hard enough. I open up my clubface a miniscule amount and try to hit about a half inch behind the ball just like I would hit a bunker shot.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Bought 72 Srixon Q Star golf balls to try out.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby MattF » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:28 am

Coda1850 wrote:Bought 72 Srixon Q Star golf balls to try out.


Just 72? :lol:
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:47 am

MattF wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Bought 72 Srixon Q Star golf balls to try out.


Just 72? :lol:


lol, ebay.

72 Q-Stars
36 Duos

I gots balls again!
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
srogers13
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby srogers13 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:52 am

MattF wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Bought 72 Srixon Q Star golf balls to try out.


Just 72? :lol:

Enjoy your three rounds of golf. :twisted:
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 3447
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:53 am

srogers13 wrote:
MattF wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Bought 72 Srixon Q Star golf balls to try out.


Just 72? :lol:

Enjoy your three rounds of golf. :twisted:


Well, he did say he just wanted to try them out. He walked into that one.
insufficient data

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 845
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby MattF » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:38 pm

srogers13 wrote:
MattF wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Bought 72 Srixon Q Star golf balls to try out.


Just 72? :lol:

Enjoy your three rounds of golf. :twisted:


Ouch!
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:18 pm

MattF wrote:
srogers13 wrote:
MattF wrote:
Just 72? :lol:

Enjoy your three rounds of golf. :twisted:


Ouch!


Yeah, ouch! That's alot of shanks.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Coda1850 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Played 18 holes with my Wilson Staff Duo balls. Didn't lose any. Didn't seem any different.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
srogers13
Posts: 823
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby srogers13 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Coda1850 wrote:Played 18 holes with my Wilson Staff Duo balls. Didn't lose any. Didn't seem any different.

Other than you did not lose any. :twisted:
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Coda1850 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:15 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Played 18 holes with my Wilson Staff Duo balls. Didn't lose any. Didn't seem any different.

Other than you did not lose any. :twisted:


Damn, Mr. Rogers!
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby Coda1850 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:49 pm

Bought some new golf shoes. They came today.
Ashworth, white & blue.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
brianmk24
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:42 pm
Location: NJ
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby brianmk24 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:14 pm

I got some new shoes from TGW, but I never got them even though the tracking info said that they were delivered. Great customer service so far in offering me another pair or a refund.

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby jfurr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:10 pm

My older sister has decided to pick up the game ofter 35 years since her teenage local lessons. She's getting the fever. She's coming down to thanksgiving and we have decided to brave the black friday crowd and I'm going out to help her pick out a bag and shoes and stuff at the shops.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm


Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests