WTF did you buy today?

DougE

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Postby DougE » Sat May 20, 2017 11:06 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:When I woke up today I felt like sticking it to the man, so I ordered up a couple of "MG Golf" gloves and a dozen of their "tour" balls. This is my first foray into alternative, non-big-name golf gear. Will post again once I receive the goods.

You will like the MG C4 Tour balls for sure, especially at 20 bucks a dozen, and the MG gloves are very good quality. Have tried both products and can't say a negative thing about either.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:10 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:... I ordered up a couple of "MG Golf" gloves ...

I buy their gloves. I like the "Tech" ones because of the elastic inserts. My experience is that they hold up well under reasonably intense use - though perhaps not as intense as your many range sessions. Hope you like them.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:42 am

I've been using the cheapest mg gloves for the last year (March 2016) and I've gone through 4 of them on my 5th.

Given I hit balls every day I'm ok with that.

Oh the first one crapped out in about 2 weeks but the others have been fine.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Oh the only thing about the mg gloves. The "case" is junk. I kept some old footjoy cases to put my mg gloves in

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 am

I pulled the plug last night and bought my father's day gift - Cobra is running a deal if you buy a driver you get a free FW or Hybrid. Bought the F7 Driver and 5W. I was waiting for the post summer price drops and figure that I'm paying now what I was going to pay later. Will likely update my hybrids when they do drop prices for good.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed May 31, 2017 9:17 am

GBOGEY wrote:I pulled the plug last night and bought my father's day gift - Cobra is running a deal if you buy a driver you get a free FW or Hybrid. Bought the F7 Driver and 5W. I was waiting for the post summer price drops and figure that I'm paying now what I was going to pay later. Will likely update my hybrids when they do drop prices for good.

So, for $350 you got a new King F7 driver and fairway wood? Sounds like a good deal to me. Plus, the F7 has some really good reviews out there. Win, win. :thumbs

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed May 31, 2017 9:22 am

I also interested in the Cobra connect grip - basically a free Argos golf for the driver which is the only club that the technology interests me. I've had good success with Cobra but have to admit I didn't test as much this time as the last time.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed May 31, 2017 10:22 am

GBOGEY wrote:I pulled the plug last night and bought my father's day gift - Cobra is running a deal if you buy a driver you get a free FW or Hybrid. Bought the F7 Driver and 5W. I was waiting for the post summer price drops and figure that I'm paying now what I was going to pay later. Will likely update my hybrids when they do drop prices for good.

Your dad's gonna be psyched. Lucky!
insufficient data

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed May 31, 2017 11:27 am

Since my dad doesn't play golf, hopefully he will give them to me. If a father's day, birthday, or Christmas gift is golf related, it is easier for me to order it myself, have it delivered to the house, and my wife presents it to me when the time comes. She does the same for many of her gifts. Works for us.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:52 pm

NOW that the Nike company has stopped making clubs and balls, their hats are suddenly bigly improved. No more big, stupid, loud, shiny Tour-style equipment logos embroidered on the side. I feel unless you are a little kid, it is silly to wear a replica of a pro anything. But even for kids its dangerous territory. Years ago I saw a youth on the course wearing a Rory cap, back when he used to shill for "Jumeirah Golf Estates" :facepalm Hey kid, let me fill you in on something, these guys don't wear logos because it's cool, they do it because they are at work.
insufficient data

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Imasucker, I bought the M2 after being fitted today. 6:50 tee time tomorrow morning.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:30 pm

As much as I do not like TM (on principle, not their product line), their M2 seems to be an excellent driver from everyone I know who plays it, of which there are many, and most of the reviews I have read about them. Hope you got a good deal. Since you were fit, you should get good results. Good luck with it. I expect to see your handicap drop now. ;)

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:32 am

legitimatebeef wrote:NOW that the Nike company has stopped making clubs and balls, their hats are suddenly bigly improved. No more big, stupid, loud, shiny Tour-style equipment logos embroidered on the side. I feel unless you are a little kid, it is silly to wear a replica of a pro anything. But even for kids its dangerous territory. Years ago I saw a youth on the course wearing a Rory cap, back when he used to shill for "Jumeirah Golf Estates" :facepalm Hey kid, let me fill you in on something, these guys don't wear logos because it's cool, they do it because they are at work.

This is humorous. I refuse to wear golf apparel that endorses the major manufacturers. The reason is simple. They need to pay me to endorse their products.

About eight years ago, I wrote letters to five or six of the big golf manufacturers asking if they could part with any apparel (especially hats) in return for me endorsing their products. Adams Golf is the only one who responded. They sent me an Adams Golf visor. I wore it twice and ended up with the worst visor-shaped sunburn a person would ever want. Even though I think they were trolling me, that is why you used to occasionally hear me say "I play exclusively Adams irons".

Lesson learned: Balding men shouldn't wear visors.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:38 am

bryan k wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:NOW that the Nike company has stopped making clubs and balls, their hats are suddenly bigly improved. No more big, stupid, loud, shiny Tour-style equipment logos embroidered on the side. I feel unless you are a little kid, it is silly to wear a replica of a pro anything. But even for kids its dangerous territory. Years ago I saw a youth on the course wearing a Rory cap, back when he used to shill for "Jumeirah Golf Estates" :facepalm Hey kid, let me fill you in on something, these guys don't wear logos because it's cool, they do it because they are at work.

This is humorous. I refuse to wear golf apparel that endorses the major manufacturers. The reason is simple. They need to pay me to endorse their products.

About eight years ago, I wrote letters to five or six of the big golf manufacturers asking if they could part with any apparel (especially hats) in return for me endorsing their products. Adams Golf is the only one who responded. They sent me an Adams Golf visor. I wore it twice and ended up with the worst visor-shaped sunburn a person would ever want. Even though I think they were trolling me, that is why you used to occasionally hear me say "I play exclusively Adams irons".

That's awesome I hate advertising for someone else too.

When I negotiated my car price the dealership put these little logo things on the back of the car. I asked them to remove it and they didn't want to because it was more than just a sticker. So I then said my fee for advertising is $500 every 6 months and they could either pay, take it off (without damaging the paint), or I'll go elsewhere.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:37 pm

While watching the US Open all day, I had my computer in front of me watching an Ebay auction for a Titleist driver that matched the specs of the one I was fit for at a Titleist Thursdays event a couple months ago. In the end, I won it! I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new, still in the plastic, Titleist 917D2 that matches my specs exactly. Retail price $500. I got it for $310. No tax. Free shipping. Reputable dealer. 100% Positive feedback. It's coming from across the country, so I won't see it for a week. I'll probably start hitting my old 915D2 better than ever while I wait for the new one to arrive, as it tries to convince me to stay with it!

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
bryan k wrote:

That's awesome I hate advertising for someone else too.

When I negotiated my car price the dealership put these little logo things on the back of the car. I asked them to remove it and they didn't want to because it was more than just a sticker. So I then said my fee for advertising is $500 every 6 months and they could either pay, take it off (without damaging the paint), or I'll go elsewhere.

I've had this exact conversation.

I actually negotiated 12 free oil changes back in 2004 when I bought a 2005 Chevy just because they didn't want to remove the sticker. That was back when you were "supposed" to get an oil change every three months.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:13 am

DougE wrote:While watching the US Open all day, I had my computer in front of me watching an Ebay auction for a Titleist driver that matched the specs of the one I was fit for at a Titleist Thursdays event a couple months ago. In the end, I won it! I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new, still in the plastic, Titleist 917D2 that matches my specs exactly. Retail price $500. I got it for $310. No tax. Free shipping. Reputable dealer. 100% Positive feedback. It's coming from across the country, so I won't see it for a week. I'll probably start hitting my old 915D2 better than ever while I wait for the new one to arrive, as it tries to convince me to stay with it!

So what are your thoughts on the new driver? Seeing any difference. I like my new Cobra driver - not sure it's longer, but it is a little more forgiving and I'm getting a better ball flight. The good drives are really good. But I'm still struggling to control the amount of fade I'm getting.

On the other hand, I love the FW that I got for free when buying the driver. It's supposed to be a 5W I probably have it set closer to a 4W. Really getting nice results off the tee to the point where I feel I can take driver out of play on a lot more holes. Been wanting to do this for years. Haven't had to hit it off the deck much yet but don't anticipate a problem there.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:39 am

GBOGEY wrote:
DougE wrote:While watching the US Open all day, I had my computer in front of me watching an Ebay auction for a Titleist driver that matched the specs of the one I was fit for at a Titleist Thursdays event a couple months ago. In the end, I won it! I am now the proud owner of a brand spanking new, still in the plastic, Titleist 917D2 that matches my specs exactly. Retail price $500. I got it for $310. No tax. Free shipping. Reputable dealer. 100% Positive feedback. It's coming from across the country, so I won't see it for a week. I'll probably start hitting my old 915D2 better than ever while I wait for the new one to arrive, as it tries to convince me to stay with it!

So what are your thoughts on the new driver? Seeing any difference. I like my new Cobra driver - not sure it's longer, but it is a little more forgiving and I'm getting a better ball flight. The good drives are really good. But I'm still struggling to control the amount of fade I'm getting.

At first, I was not sure about the new driver. It felt different than my 915. The sensation was more that of a TM M1 or M2 off the clubface with the new 917. It seemed in my mind as if I was not hitting it as far as my 915 as a result of the sound and feel I was getting. As I mentioned in another thread, not sure if the fitting was right, I took the new driver and tested it against the old one shot for shot, while changing the shaft in it to a couple other options, both in stiff and regular flex. What I found after hitting about 30 balls was that the 917 was longer, on average, than the 915. Not by much, maybe 5-10 yards, but the 5 longest drives were with the 917. Two of those drives with the 917 were 15-20 yards longer than the other 28 I hit. I measured them with GPS, so I know they are accurate yardages. Both were with the same shaft and settings that I was fit for by Titleist a few months back. (Diamana 60 Stiff.) So, I was then convinced they got it right and the next day I put the 917 in the bag to play with the entire round. Had a great day off the tee, distance-wise.

So, yes, to answer your question, I am seeing a difference, now that I realize the sound at impact has nothing to do with how far the ball is traveling. It seemed softer off my 915 and translated to longer in my head, but after doing my testing, I got over the sound issue. The 917 appears to be longer, more often than not. I am drawing the ball easier. Most of my misses are left. The few that are missed right, are generally as a result of obviously poor releases or being off-balance and not getting through the ball. The ones that are left are usually well-struck, in balance swings, with good finishes. At this point, I am happy with the 917D2. I have already hit my longest drive of the season with it---290 yards, a monster drive for this old man---and I have only played it two rounds so far. In those two rounds, I would guestimate that my driving average is up from 225 to 235 on good swings/good contact off the tee. If I just average the drives on par 5s, it's an even longer yardage.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 am

I agree that I liked the sound of my old Cobra better than the sound of the new one. I think it is this thin-faced technology. At first I didn't think the ball was going as far but now I'm pretty sure that it is a little longer, especially on the sweet spot.

BTW, I like the arcos driver that comes with the Cobra. It's fun, although I'm not sure how it helps my game. It pretty much confirms what I knew. A solid drive is 220-240, a really big hit can get to 260 and a mishit is around 200. The funny thing is how much the hills at my home course influence distance. A good drive yesterday was only 210, but with the hill it had to be 225+.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:44 pm

I was in Golf Galaxy at least a month ago. The intent was to buy balls and make sure I knew what wedges I was going to buy at the end of August. Low and behold, they had in stock exactly what I was going to buy - Titleist (not the issue) but the right lofts, grinds, and finish. This despite the fact that I find Golf Galaxy has very little inventory in store. So I bought them. Been working a little with them on the range, but right now I'm hitting my old wedges so well I can't bear to change even though its time. I've decided that I'm going to start using them in October (or maybe November once scores don't count). But I like them.

Also, my wife has agreed that if my job situation works out the way we think it will, that I can complete out a second set of clubs for travel. I'm most of the way there, just waiting for Cobra's hybrids to go on sale and then another set of irons. The irons are the tricky part - I love my G25's and they are perfect for me, but I'm rarely seeing standard sets on used websites and even then they are pretty beat up. I hit some new Mizuno's today and seemed pretty comparable. May also try some Titleist - had a good experience with some rentals once but not sure I like the loft configuations.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:49 pm

I don't know much about wedge grinds. What did you buy and why?

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 pm

My Utility wedge that came with my set is 50 degrees so I play a 54 and 58 - that is partly because early in my golf life I read an article where Butch Harmon said most amatuers should never use anything higher than a 58, so I got used to it. Most people seem to play 52, 56, 58, so it was surprising that they had a 54 and 58 in an "M" grind. I got the "M" grind from a Titleist fitting day - I think partly because it was close to my old wedge, but also because I like to open the club face for various shots. Finally, I like the grey finish. Finding all 3 in store was quite unexpected.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 pm

I went to the local mom-n-pop golf shoppe today that had a big end-of-season tent sale. Bought nothing.

I was actually looking for a PING 4 series (whatever it's called) lightweight carry bag because mine is pretty worn out.

I ran into the director of the old "amateur tour" tournament series I used to play on.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”