Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 am

Very nice.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:06 am

So Matt, now that you don't have to pay anything to play, this is how you take full advantage of your membership, particularly if you are still working full time. Change your mindset.

18 holes of golf is great when you have the time, but you no longer need to have 5 or 6 hours of free time to play. Sure, plan to do so on the weekends when you can arrange it. But, now, on your way home from work in the summer (or before work), you can stop in at the club and play a few holes if you have an hour or two of light. There's no need to finish nine, just play golf shots. I guarantee you will get better.

Sometimes I'll go out at 7:30 or 8 at night in the summer, to work on a specific shot, on a specific hole, where I might have had trouble with that shot earlier in the day's round for whatever reason, or just want to try some different execution options. It makes no difference if you're out there for 15 minutes or 5 hours when you don't have to pay to play. Evenings are usually fairly quiet after 6:30 or so at most courses in the summer. As a member, just stick your head in the pro shop and let them know you are going out to walk a few holes. Those holes add up over time. The more you play and practice out on the course, the more you get out of your membership. So don't think only of playing free rounds of golf, think of playing more HOLES of golf. An 18 hole round on the weekend and 16 more practice holes over the other 6 days of the week can really help your game.

During the summer, I probably average at least 4 @ 18 hole rounds a week, PLUS another 15-25 practice holes. Great for your game. Not so great for my beat up old body, but I am definitely a better all-round golfer today than I have ever been because of it. Playing golf, or playing golf-shot out on the course with multiple balls, beats banging balls on the range any day. Certainly, you will still need range time to work on things and warm-up before your rounds, but generally speaking once you have a repeating swing that somewhat works consistently, repeating it over and over on the range where the conditions are perfect, doesn't really put it to the test.

For $200, assuming this deal gives you a true "membership" environment, you should be able to get your cost per hole down to pennies. I hope we'll hear more from you here as a result. You should have lots of stories to relate.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:59 am

DougE has given some good advice here. Once you are a member, forget the idea of "18 or "9" holes. If you have time late in the evening or during the day, play a few holes, cut over to a finishing hole and call it a day.

A course locally offered the same deal. They planned on several things: power cart rentals, clubhouse food & beverage, "guest" greens fees. The essentially free members would drive other revenues. Plus they got a lot of people as members that might not have played there regularly. Finally, the course was a fairly tough walk (lots of distance between tees) so carts made sense for most people.

My impression is that the deal worked for both parties although 2 years later they modified it a bit to force the use of carts.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:06 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:41 am
Not only do you have a club now, you kinda have a free gym membership too. With all that walking, you are gonna be in great shape! So, now you have no excuse. Get your ass out there and play more next year. A LOT more! :up
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm eyeing a Clic Gear cart, any other suggestions other than electric?

In regards to playing before or after work...that's a non starter. I leave home every morning about 6.40am, leave that job at 4pm and start my other job at 4.30pm and get home about 8.50pm Monday to Friday. So, my thought is to play once a weekend every weekend, once or twice a month twice a weekend and any of my public servant holidays, play then as well. I also get a few hours a month comp time for my full time job, so I'll take a day every once in a while to go an play as well.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm

does anyone else have a course where there are no cart fees? The one right by my house is a flat fee per round. You can use a cart or not and there is no difference in price. I've never seen that before, but wondered how common it was.
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:50 pm

There are a couple of sites on the RTJ Trail that offer a deal where carts are included at that site, but not at the other trail sites. I.E. you pay a price for the year, and that includes green fee and cart fee for the whole year.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Sorry I was just meaning a daily rate for a public course.

Example the course is $50 to play 18 holes. If you use a cart or not it's the same price.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:17 pm

At my old club in CT, they used to offer an after 5 rate of $21. This is one of the best courses in CT. Weekend rates were $90+. Carts were mandatory until 2pm and all rates included a cart. There was no walking rate. So 21 bucks was quite cheap. Yet, walkers would come in to play at 5 pm thinking they were going to pay only 7 bucks, since they weren't using the (at that time) $14 pp cart. "No, sir, you are not going to play the #4 rated public course in CT for $7. Now, would you like me to get you a cart? It's included." (The ad clearly states that the 21 dollar after 5pm rate includes a cart.)

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:17 pm

Got a pair of Footjoy SL, a pair of Footjoy DNA Helix, and a new Footjoy Wind Vest for Christmas. Very pleased with what I picked out for myself and had Santa deliver. Unfortunately, I have doubles of the items and have to figure out which set is easiest to return. Unknown by me, even when you fill out a mailing address form your phone can override with a default address if you use Apple Pay, so the first set went to the old address. My old neighbors had a hard time catching the new owners and by the time they did we had ordered again. The ecommerce part of changing an address can be challenging.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:48 am

Ordered a pair of Puma Grip Fusion shoes in Grey/Lime Green and Black.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 am

A new garage door spring. :fk

Broke on Friday, 12/21/2018 at 2pm. The thought of leaving my garage door propped open for 5-6 days was a bit worrisome.

Fortunately, the garage door people had a service opening Friday afternoon. :yess

Our garage door is now the most expensive thing we own. :facepalm
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:19 am

MattF wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:48 am
Those are some nice shoes. Please post comfort & waterproofing opinions.
Bluto did it

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:22 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm
does anyone else have a course where there are no cart fees? The one right by my house is a flat fee per round. You can use a cart or not and there is no difference in price. I've never seen that before, but wondered how common it was.
I've never seen that. Ever.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:51 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:19 am
MattF wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:48 am
Those are some nice shoes. Please post comfort & waterproofing opinions.
:up Will do!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:10 am

I got a new pair of shoes for x-mas. Footjoy sport something or other (contour replacements). I walked 18 holes yesterday in brand new shoes, and no blisters. Also everything stayed nice and dry on a very wet course.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:59 am

Sport LT Contour is my guess. I like not having to break shoes in.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 pm

I ordered nu FJs. Freestyles I think. They look really x-treme, to the max. That suits me right now. No more of this casual look business. I want to look like I came to play goddamnit.

Also got in my xmas stocking a pair of black FJ rain gear gloves which I am going to test out for winter golf.
Build a bridge and get over it.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm

I like the rain gloves better than the winter gloves for cold golf. They are thinner with a better feel, plus in cooler weather, my grips tend to be a little slicker, and these tend to hold onto the clubs better. And not to mention how well they work in wet conditions. When I play I am either no gloves or the pair of rain gloves.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 pm
I ordered nu FJs. Freestyles I think. They look really x-treme, to the max. That suits me right now. No more of this casual look business. I want to look like I came to play goddamnit.

Also got in my xmas stocking a pair of black FJ rain gear gloves which I am going to test out for winter golf.
The Freestyles are a really nice shoe. They were discontinued (surprisingly) last season, so I hope you got a good price. They were originally a $160 shoe, but FJ sells them for $100 off their site right now. I'm guessing you could have even found them for less online somewhere. Always liked that shoe, though the blue, yellow, gray, white version is a bit too loud for me. I personally like the gray and white version. Goes well with (any color) shorts. I just wish it had more spikes underneath. Only 6 per shoe. My Dryjoys have 9 per. Feels more stable on steeper slopes in my opinion. Both navigating and swinging at tough lies.

The new FJ rain gloves are even better than the older model. I just got myself some hard-to-find, white, FJ rain gloves as my second pair to go along with my standard black ones. So now I have a color choice. I'm a fashionista--what can I say? :gay

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm
I like the rain gloves better than the winter gloves for cold golf. They are thinner with a better feel, plus in cooler weather, my grips tend to be a little slicker, and these tend to hold onto the clubs better. And not to mention how well they work in wet conditions. When I play I am either no gloves or the pair of rain gloves.
We'll see. Mainly I'm curious if they are warmer than conventional cabretta. Two black gloves certainly looks better. Two bright white gloves is an odd look.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:16 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 am
legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:35 pm

The Freestyles are a really nice shoe. They were discontinued (surprisingly) last season, so I hope you got a good price. They were originally a $160 shoe, but FJ sells them for $100 off their site right now. I'm guessing you could have even found them for less online somewhere. Always liked that shoe, though the blue, yellow, gray, white version is a bit too loud for me. I personally like the gray and white version. Goes well with (any color) shorts. I just wish it had more spikes underneath. Only 6 per shoe. My Dryjoys have 9 per. Feels more stable on steeper slopes in my opinion. Both navigating and swinging at tough lies.

The new FJ rain gloves are even better than the older model. I just got myself some hard-to-find, white, FJ rain gloves as my second pair to go along with my standard black ones. So now I have a color choice. I'm a fashionista--what can I say? :gay
Yep I got last season's, for the low price of $89.95. From some fly by night ebay vendor. I figure since it's a trusted brand/size, I shouldn't have to return though. I got the charcoal and whites. Only six spikes is a shortcoming yes but I think I am still a six-spike level player anyways. (I've only ever worn six spikes, pretty sure) Maybe just maybe my next pair of shoes will have nine. :bawl

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:00 pm

I think the Freestyle used to be the M Project which was a great shoe and what I mainly wear today. Sadly they are worn out which is why I got two new pairs for Christmas. I would have stuck with the Freestyle but the only styles that I could find were a bit too flashy for my conservative tastes.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:15 am

Those shoes are sweet beef. If they had my size, I would've bought those black ones. Enjoy.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:00 pm

After 6 or 7 years of playing with a Bushnell Tour V2 range finder, I finally broke down and got a V4 Shift to replace it. (On/Off Slope version.) I have wanted one for the last couple years, but couldn't swallow the cost, which has increased over the past year by about 100 bucks at retail for some reason. I found a good deal on this one---closer to what they were selling for before the increase--- and PayPal gave me 6 months of free, no-interest financing, so I bit the bullet.

My V2 still works perfectly and will be in my back-up stand bag. I used to always forget to take it with me when I carried that bag. I would take all my clubs out of my staff bag and put them in my stand bag when I was going to go out to walk, but for some reason, more often than not, I would forget to take my rangefinder. Won't have that problem anymore.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Doug have you looked in to super speed golf? I know you always talk about not hitting it very "far" even though I think you do a good job of getting it out there.

I read a lot about SSG in wrx and decided to give a modified version of it a try. Over the last 6ish months I've been spending a little time 2-3 times a week focusing on nothing but ball speed on m skytrak. I started with ball speeds in the 140's after I got to a "functional" point in my swing changes. That was when I was really taking a rip at the ball. That is probably where your ball speed is if I had to guess. Now I can hit 160-165 on command. My "normal" swing is around 155-160 pretty consistently. With my launch conditions this is about a 255 yard carry.

If you want to get more distance I really am a believer that spending 2 days a week maybe 15 min each time focusing on nothing but speed will increase your distance without a dramatic effect on your degrees of dispersion. Obviously 10 yards further with the same dispersion will result in more missed FWs to be fair.

I think the big keys arent necessarily using the SSG sticks (over and under weighted) although that might help quicker. I think the big key is having something to record data. You can get a radar that will measure club head speed for $100 or so which would be sufficient as long as it's consistent. It doesn't even matter if it's not accurate as long as it's consistent. The goal is to see progress and what drives "speed" in your swing.

I'd highly recommend SSG or doing something similar (like I did) if your goal is to gain distance.
Keep it short stupid.