WTF did you buy today?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:19 am

DougE wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm
...I always make a habit of sending a thank you card--handwritten--back to whichever Titleist associate sent me the gift.
:up
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:12 pm

That's really cool Doug. Thanks for sharing. I personally really like their products. I don't have a lot of Titleist in my bag, but the few that I do (Pro-V1 ball, Vokey wedge, FJ shoes) I consider 'best in category'. Your post makes me respect their brand even more.
Bluto did it

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:04 pm

DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm
So much depends on what feels good to you. I play Golf Pride MCC grips in Midsize. They may feel nice if you like a bit wider diameter. I actually have been playing these for years, but the new MCC +4 grips are starting to appeal to me. The lower hand portion is like having 4 extra wraps. Overall it's less tapered. Much easier to grip the club softly, as Hogan describes, like holding a small bird. These are not inexpensive grips, about $11 each at retail. They are the most played grips on Tour. I love the feel of them. I change them 3-4 times a year, playing 150-200 rounds, plus practice.

Don't know how you can possibly get years out of a grip, particular sitting in the garage in heat. I just changed my wife's grips after hers sat in the garage for a year. She went to use them last year in FL and found them sticky and disintegrating in her hands.

I also like the new Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord. Firmer and also available in midsize. If that isn't big enough, you can always add extra wraps of tape. I am constantly experimenting with various numbers of extra wraps, but frankly, the normal single wrap with a midsize MCC seems to be just right for me.
How often do you change grips? I ask because I was using Dri-Tac and for those it's pretty obvious when it's time to change (and they don't last as long as well). The new ones I use it's much harder to tell.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:50 pm

3-4 times a year. You must have missed that part in my reply from above.

I change driver and wedges at least one more time per year than I do the others. I also scrub my grips with a brush and soapy water every couple weeks. I use white (with black) MCCs on my wedges and short irons. So you can clearly see when they need cleaning. If I see any grip wearing out or getting too slick, washing with the brush helps. If it doesn't help enough, I take some sandpaper to them if I don't have time to change them out at that moment, but usually will change it/them within a couple days or so. Otherwise, it will get in my head if I don't. I'll start thinking about it before every shot.

I love the feel of new grips. Gives me confidence. If they weren't so damn expensive, I'd change them every three or four rounds!

FWIW, I only change my putter grip about 2-3 times a year. I use a Scotty Cameron Matador XL. At $45 each with tax and shipping, 3Xs is about my limit.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:53 pm
I got my Footjoys in the mail today. I tried them on though, and not feeling any joy yet. My last pair were cheaper models, Superlites or something. But definitely made a better first impression. When I first put those on, I felt some joy. These Freestyle (2.0)'s feel I dunno, bulky. Guess I need to play some golf in them before I really make a judgment.
Two rounds in with the Freestyles. Indeed soon as I got out on the course I started to feel joy. Not sure how this is achieved but they really feel like shoes that were made specifically for swinging a stick at a stationary ball on the ground. Footjoy really is a great shoe brand. They somehow know more about what I need in a golf shoe than I do. In the past I have worn Nike and Adidas and while they did the job... never any joy. For this latest purchase I never once considered buying non-FJs. There was a time when I was all about the casual looking golf shoe. Riiight, those'll blend right in with all your other shoes. :facepalm No more. No more shame, no more denial. I don't care. I am a golfer. Real golfers wear dorky shoes. What can you do.
Build a bridge and get over it.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:21 pm

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Krank Golf Player Rep kit.

2 driver heads and 3 shafts ( adjustable )
Fairway wood
Hybrid
2 shirts
2 hats
$1k and then i'll get big discounts on everything else from them.

Even at wholesale price, that's still a deal... probably save $200-$300 over my wholesale, and that's about half price of full retail.

I'll throw some adapters on some of my shafts ( i have 10 shafts in the garage for my other adjustable clubs ) and then I can run Krank demo days.
Am I insane?

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:39 pm

No.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Maybe
Bluto did it

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 pm

So... what would you do?
I currently have:
3W 14.5 goes about 230-250
3H 18 goes about 200-220
4I 24.5 goes about 180-190
I feel like i have a big gap in the 3H to 4I but also want something longer / more reliable between 3W and 3H.

I get 1 Fairway and 1 Hybrid with the package. Considering options... help me out.

I might get
3W 13
2H 16
Then I can play 13, 16, 18, 24.5

The other option is maybe do

3W 13
4H 22
Then i could play 13 18 22 24.5

I feel like my 3H is a little too short and my 3W is hard to hit and too long... but maybe i should fill the gap between 3H and 4I... but a 3H is not going to be as long as a straight 3I right?

I'm leaning towards the 13 16 options, so i can always mix and match with my current setup, since I know the hybrids are weaker than the 3 wood for the same angles.

Thoughts?

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 am

I have your current setup (3w, 3h, 4i) and don't see any problems with a bit of gap, since your accuracy and distance control at the long end of the bag aren't going to be that precise anyway. I understand the desire to tinker with the bag, but I can't offer you any good advice to change any of it. I would just keep it as is.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:06 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 am
I have your current setup (3w, 3h, 4i) and don't see any problems with a bit of gap, since your accuracy and distance control at the long end of the bag aren't going to be that precise anyway. I understand the desire to tinker with the bag, but I can't offer you any good advice to change any of it. I would just keep it as is.
I am about the same with my gapping, except I have an extra club.

My 3w carries 240 my 3h and 4h go 210. My 4i goes 210 also but I either have it or my 4h in the bag never both. My 5i carries 190. From there everything steps down 10-15 yards at a time.

I am probably going to get rid of the 3h and either put a 2i (only for tee shots) in my bag. Either that or tinker with my wedges a little bit to create a gap that can be filled.

I don't mind having 20-30 yard gaps over 200 yards out. My dispersion with those clubs is more than 15 yards anyways, so essentially the gaps are filled just ue to inconsistency.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:05 am

First off Gavin, let me say, I'm impressed with your distances. Jealous actually. Mine are shorter, for sure.

Secondly, I have gone through these club-gapping dilemmas many times before. In fact, there always seems to be a gap somewhere bigger or smaller than I would like. However, I have realized that I can work my way around any gap on most occasions. What things say on paper are not always that obvious out on the course. And there are other variables that need to be considered besides simply lofts for each club.

MY OPINION based on, not only my own play, but on professional recommendations of fitters and tons of internet research of which I have done on fairway woods in general over the years. (I am a club junkie myself.):

Your 3W, or anyone's 3W for that matter, should be set up to play the best odds for solid contact and controllable ball flight. Not for how far you can hit it on those occasions when you hit it flush. It is not a scoring club. It is a POSITIONING club more often than not.

A 3W in general, is the hardest club for MOST golfers to hit consistently from the fairway. You say yourself "My 3W is hard to hit." Why make it harder with a 13* loft? 13* isn't going to make it go farther in most cases anyway. You have to hit it flush for that to happen. Good luck with a 13*. Unless your swing speed is extremely high, I don't feel you (or ANY mid handicapper) can gain consistency from such a low lofted version of a fairway wood. And this whole game is about consistency. If you were to look into the bags of the best golfers on earth---those on the PGA Tour---you will find very few 13* fairway woods. They are too hard to hit from the deck consistently. Yes, some of those great ball-strikers can handle (and play) a 13 degree wood from all sorts of lies, but it's the exception rather than the rule. And those who do use 13* 3Ws usually aren't doing so for the extra 4 or 5 yards they might get, but more for the ball flight they are typically trying to hit. I could go on and on about my reasoning for NOT using a 13* 3W (because there is more I can say about it), but I'll move on. I'll just say, if I were you I would seriously consider a higher lofted 3W. A 15*, or even a 16.5* 3/4W. There are many of those (16.5s) played on Tour, BTW.

Again, let me reiterate, this is MY opinion, but I feel hybrids are the best option for most mid-cappers after the 3W, unless your consistency with your 3W is great, in which case a 5W should, in theory, be even better. So, I realize you only get 1 hybrid "in the set," but I would consider going outside the set and add another. I only play one hybrid. It's 19 degrees. My next club down is a 5i. I have no trouble with gapping. If I need a little less, I choke down a touch on the hybrid. The circumstances where that happens are so few and far between that it is insignificant to my overall game. If there is a question of the better club to hit, I just analyze the situation and decide if being long or short will get me in more trouble and then pick accordingly. A 4i is harder for most players than a hybrid is. So, obviously a 3i, even harder. I would not even consider that, unless it were a designed driving iron that I used off the tee only, like a Titleist T-MB with graphite shaft. Maybe not for you or some others, but overall, 4 irons are harder to hit consistently than 4 hybrids. The MOI on hybrids is usually so much more forgiving. However, some people just don't hit hybrids that well. It's a mental thing. Not an MOI thing. So I understand those who prefer irons. But, hybrids were developed in the first place, to be easier to hit than long irons. Since they are now found in the vast majority of bags around the world, I'd say they have proven to do the job they were designed to do.

The bottom line, so I don't go into a second page of minutiae, I wouldn't worry about small gaps at the high end of your bag. Long clubs are less important (as far as gapping goes) to your overall game than your scoring clubs are. I would definitely have no gaps from 7 iron down. Once you get to the longer clubs---4i, 3i, hybrids and fairways---most mid-cappers' ball-striking consistency falls off enough that gaps are the least of their problems.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:35 am

I 2nd Doug's comments.

I kind of said it above but think it can't be over stated. I'd only be concerned with gaps over 175 yards if everything shorter than that is gapped extremely well, or the higher gaps are bigger than my dispersion with the long clubs. Hint the average scratch golfer has about a 30yard (diameter) dispersion from 200 yards.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:28 am

I agree with Doug. There are lots of players out there who would benefit from dropping a 3W and going to a 5W or 2H. Given the distances /swing speed discussed here, it may not apply to Gavin if he is hitting it well. But FWIW, I just couldn't hit a 3W off the deck. Went to a 5W (actually adjusted to almost a 4W) and hit it great off the deck without any distance loss. I have never had and shot and thought I wish I had a 3W here. I do wish I could get 10 yards more off the tee with my driver alternative, but the trade-off is worth it.

I actually had an idea to fix my driver alternative - I thought about dropping my 5i, my worst club, and adding a 3W for just off the tee. I decided to play a round without my 5i and of course hit 2 choked down 4H off the back of the green, so I'm staying put.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 am

Or just get a majestic 7 wood and be done with it.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am

I know three guys off the top of my head who play 7Ws who feel they couldn't play the game without them. Very versatile alternative to a hybrid and easy to hit. High flight, soft landing.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 am

One of those three guys uses it for many different yardages. He just chokes down to whatever distance he needs. He sucks with his irons, but can put a 7W to 145 yards or 175 yards with ease. He has marks on his grip for where to place his hands for each distance. We all joke about every shot he hits, no matter what the distance. If he hit it well, one of us would usually say "7W?"

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:42 pm

I like the advice thanks. While I played today, I thought about it and came to similar conclusions.

Since I am deciding based on clubs I want to be able to demo, for Krank demo days, I decided the 3W 15 degree would be better for other people, and I only use a 3W on par 5s to go for the green if I hit a short drive, and maybe a long par 3.
So 15 is enough for me and better to demo.

Since I have a 18 degree 3H that I love, I will get a 22 4H and then I can have another option for the gap or drop the 4i. A lot of people cannot hit their 3,4,5 irons so it will be a good club to demo too.

This gives me the most flexibility, and you are right, the distance is less important than consistency.

I am hitting my 3 wood a lot better lately, and 3H is my best club so I think this decision will do well for me, and for demo purposes.
Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest, my game inside 95 is my biggest problem.
My 50 goes 100.
54 goes 80
58 goes to crap ;)
It’s not the gap, it’s the contact and feel that sucks.
I need to hit more greens to eliminate that crap.
That’s why I score better from the tips, longer shots in helps me a lot.
Might start playing 3H off the tee

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:43 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:17 pm
Got a pair of Footjoy SL, a pair of Footjoy DNA Helix, and a new Footjoy Wind Vest for Christmas. Very pleased with what I picked out for myself and had Santa deliver. Unfortunately, I have doubles of the items and have to figure out which set is easiest to return. Unknown by me, even when you fill out a mailing address form your phone can override with a default address if you use Apple Pay, so the first set went to the old address. My old neighbors had a hard time catching the new owners and by the time they did we had ordered again. The ecommerce part of changing an address can be challenging.
Ive been avoiding wearing the new shoes as it's been so muddy but wore them today. Might be most comfortable golf shoes I have owned.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:20 pm

If only people made golf shoes in a 16 ;)

Actually Calloway has a few pair, the ones I had from them were alright. My current new balance feel like my favorite cross trainers.. pretty nice, closest thing to a foot joy I will get.

Back to my 3W discussion a while back... remember I was deciding on playing a 13 krank vs 15 krank considering I play a 14.5 tour now... we’ll, I realized today that I have that 14.5 dialed down to a 13 degree.

So I guess it throws another wrench in the works.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 am

How old are your irons?
I just looked my R9s up, and they were released in 2009... 10 years old.
How often do you upgrade irons?
How often do you upgrade other clubs?

Wedges probably the most often, right?
Are you loyal?

Tempted to go do a fancy fitting, to see what a real fitter thinks I should be playing.
Has anyone done a real fitting with one of the big manufacturers?

This one is the best fitting you can do with Taylormade unless you're a pro or invited :)
https://www.reynoldslakeoconee.com/life ... ub-fitting
Wonder how much $$$ it is.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:48 am

gpickin wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:03 am
How old are your irons?
I just looked my R9s up, and they were released in 2009... 10 years old.
How often do you upgrade irons?
How often do you upgrade other clubs?

Wedges probably the most often, right?
Are you loyal?

Tempted to go do a fancy fitting, to see what a real fitter thinks I should be playing.
Has anyone done a real fitting with one of the big manufacturers?

This one is the best fitting you can do with Taylormade unless you're a pro or invited :)
https://www.reynoldslakeoconee.com/life ... ub-fitting
Wonder how much $$$ it is.
My irons are approaching 2 years old.

I typically change irons every 2-3 years.
Titleist 755 Forged in 2008, AP2 712 in late 2011, AP2 716 in 2015, AP3 718 (partial set change in 2018).

I change drivers every 1-2 years.
At least, that has been the case for the last 9 or 10 years. (I've had a Titliest 909, 910, 913, 915, 917 and now TS since 2010.)

I change my wedges out about once a year.
I had 5 new sets of SM2 (2009 pre-rule change-old style square grooves) over the years since 2009, two sets of SM6s starting in 2015. I'm now on my first set of SM7s, but am ready to upgrade to a new set of the same sometime this season. I work with my wedges virtually every single day, whether I play or just practice. I wear them out to the obvious extent that the grooves don't do what they used to more often than not. When I start playing for more roll out off a tight lie in the fairway, I know it's time. I use all three of my Vokeys around the green, but most use my 54 SW and my 58 LW, so my 50 GW can usually go an extra 1/2 season or so before I feel it's time for an upgrade.

Everyone here knows I couldn't be any more loyal to Titleist.

I have done fittings with Titleist, but never the super-duper $2500+ fitting at their Oceanside CA or Fairhaven MA facilities. These are extreme. I know people who I interact with on the Team Titleist site who have done these fittings and all rave about the professionalism of the entire fitting crew and staff around them. These fittings are typically scheduled months in advance, last all day and include a private tour of the facility. You are treated like a Tour pro. Since Titleist bases so much of their strategy on "proper fitting" and do not even recommend you buy clubs off the rack, they make the fitting aspect of choosing clubs as important as the technology built into the clubs. I have been fit for my irons, wedges, and drivers at various Titleist fitting events and general equipment fitting centers over the years. That's nothing like a full bag fitting at Oceanside.

Titleist offers FREE fittings at their Titleist Thursdays events, which will be starting up again in the early spring at various facilities all over the country. I have been fit at a few of these for driver. You need to make an appointment ahead of time, but they will get you fit for a driver in 45 minutes. Or irons or wedges, but each requires at least a 45 minute block of time. It can be hard to get more than 2 blocks allocated to you in one Titleist Thursdays fitting, so as not to monopolize the fitter on the one day he is available for free that week. There are usually a lot of places on the list in the So Cal. area where you can schedule your free fitting. And there is no obligation to buy anything. They will give you a print out of your specs and you can decide to do whatever you want with them.

As an aside, every year Titleist has a Dream Super Sweepstakes for their Team Titleist members. Of course I enter every year. The winner and his/her guest get a full custom fitting at Oceanside with airfare and 3 night luxury hotel stay next door, limousine to their various facilities and to/fr the airport, plus a new Titleist Staff Bag, embroidered with your custom logo/name/whatever, filled with the 14 new clubs (including driver, wood(s), hybrid(s), irons, Vokeys and Scotty) you were just perfectly fit for. For both you AND guest! It's like a $15,000 value, for the equipment and fitting, not to mention what the experience itself is worth.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:57 am

I have a friend who swore by a club champion fitting. I think it cost $2000 for a full bag. I would think most fittings by the equipment companies would be a nice cost / quality trade off with the caveat that won’t fit you into someone else’s stuff. Although I am not the Titleist enthusiast Doug is, I do think their stuff is top notch and I have thought of doing a big Titleist fitting the next time I do something big with clubs, probably when I turn 60.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Bought two 2018-season Footjoy polos today, directly from FJ. On sale. Final day. $49.50 each. Normally, $79.50 each. Such a deal!

Sorry, I know I am a Footjoy/Titleist snob loyalist, but FJ really does make quality clothing. The fit is better than my other brands, for sure. Though I only play Titleist clubs, I do wear many brands of golf clothing. But, FJ is definitely my best stuff. Due to their retail pricing and the fact that there aren't usually great deals to be found anywhere on FJ, my selection of FJ shirts is limited to only about 25% of my golf shirt collection (which totals about 50-60 shirts presently in the rotation). If I could afford it, most of my shirts would be FJ. They are great shirts.

I did get one FJ shirt for free, working for them doing the chat-help stuff. That's it so far, but in all honesty, I haven't done much of the chat help thing in months. They keep giving me the option to get on the schedule each week, but I haven't been wanting to commit to any of the times that are available. So, I am not accruing any points towards my next free shirt(s) or the next pair of custom golf shoes I plan to order.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:46 pm

DougE wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:00 pm
Bought two 2018-season Footjoy polos today, directly from FJ. On sale. Final day. $49.50 each. Normally, $79.50 each. Such a deal!

I think you mean bodyjoy, no torsojoy, no boobjoy...hmmm what is a good name for the shirt division?

Pants would obviously be buttjoy.
Keep it short stupid.