WTF did you buy today?

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by MattF » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 am

New cart bag with gift cards from Christmas and my birthday. I got an Ogio Alpha Convoy 514.

https://www.ogio.com/golf/alpha-convoy- ... y-514.html
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:25 am

@MattF I read through the whole description of the Ogio. Impressive bag. Enjoy.

User avatar
Duke of Hazards
Posts: 1427
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:29 am
Location: Orange, CA
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am

MattF wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 am
New cart bag with gift cards from Christmas and my birthday. I got an Ogio Alpha Convoy 514.

https://www.ogio.com/golf/alpha-convoy- ... y-514.html
I just got the same bag for Xmas! I got the RTC (range to cart) version, which has legs. Otherwise same bag. (See my post prior page).
Bluto did it

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by MattF » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:15 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am
MattF wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 am
New cart bag with gift cards from Christmas and my birthday. I got an Ogio Alpha Convoy 514.

https://www.ogio.com/golf/alpha-convoy- ... y-514.html
I just got the same bag for Xmas! I got the RTC (range to cart) version, which has legs. Otherwise same bag. (See my post prior page).
DougE wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:25 am
@MattF I read through the whole description of the Ogio. Impressive bag. Enjoy.
:up
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by MattF » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:57 am

I booked a ticket for a trip home in May. First time going back in 11 years.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
bkuehn1952
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:08 pm
Location: The Mitten-Shaped Corona Hotspot
dogs: 0
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:06 am

MattF wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:57 am
I booked a ticket for a trip home in May. First time going back in 11 years.
Have you lost your Kiwi accent? Have a great time and be sure to come back. :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 am

Spring is around the corner. Time to begin adding some fresh items to my Footjoy wardrobe for 2020. The first four pieces ordered:
(I know, Beef, GAY! Can't help myself. I'm a fashion queen king. :gay )
Attachments
FJMultiStripeBlFogIcedBerry.jpg
FJMultiStripeBlFogIcedBerry.jpg (95.29 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
FJ LtBluwPinkWhiteChest.jpg
FJ LtBluwPinkWhiteChest.jpg (76.12 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
FJHeatherGrayFullZip.jpg
FJHeatherGrayFullZip.jpg (133.11 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
FJTonalHeatherMidLayerSky.jpg
FJTonalHeatherMidLayerSky.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 1452 times

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by MattF » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:06 am
MattF wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:57 am
I booked a ticket for a trip home in May. First time going back in 11 years.
Have you lost your Kiwi accent? Have a great time and be sure to come back. :thumbs
Bastard. Thanks!
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:54 am

Another FJ shirt for the 2020 wardrobe refresh.
Attachments
FJWatermelonDblPinStripe.jpg
FJWatermelonDblPinStripe.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 1188 times

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:06 am

My new custom Vokey SM8 wedges arrived last week. 48/54/58. Phenomenal stopping power compared to my worn out SM7s. Consequently, it cost me a few strokes the first few days I played them, but I'm starting the get used to having fresh grooves now. I am beginning to get bold, having confidence that the ball will stop on a dime with higher chips and check quickly on low ones. Got up and down yesterday 6 of 8 times from within 20 yards and flopped one in for hole-out.
Attachments
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 1187 times

User avatar
GBOGEY
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 am

So question - do you use the same grinds year-round or do you swap out wedge grinds depending on conditions?

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:14 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:50 am
So question - do you use the same grinds year-round or do you swap out wedge grinds depending on conditions?
The short answer is:

I use the same grinds most of the time because I'm used to them. However, there are times when I feel a different grind MIGHT work better in a certain condition, e.g. very soft wet turf, or a very soft-wispy sand bunker. The K grind is definitely a fantastic grind for both those conditions. If I were going to use a different grind in my 58* lob wedge, the K would likely be the one.

For general play, I am very confident with the bounce and grinds I use year-round. I am used to them. For the most part, full square-faced shots are not really affected all that much by bounce or grind, assuming you make ball-first contact. If you hit a full swing, square-faced, K grind lob wedge with 14* of bounce from a soft, muddy lie, it ain't going to help you THAT much, but it could hurt you just as much as any other grind if you hit it fat. In my mind, I see grind and bounce affecting open-faced shots a lot more. Chips, pitches and flops. If you are confident and consistent in your chipping and pitching, and your technique is solid, hard or soft conditions will likely have little affect on your results, no matter which grind you use if you are used to the wedge.

I do, however, have a low bounce 62* I just picked up, for very firm conditions around the green. I will have to leave another club out of the bag to play the 62, since I have no intention of giving up my other lob wedge (58.12D) in any round. It's just that sometimes when the rough is thin and sparse (like in wintertime) and you're two feet off the green, short-sided with a downhill pin a few feet from the fringe, hitting a higher-bounce 58 requires some constraint to not swing too hard, yet hard enough to get it there. Add the firm ground to the equation and it's a much more difficult shot than using a 62* low bounce wedge and being able to swing a touch harder, having more room for error to not only get under the ball without bouncing off the firm ground, but also, if you do get it a tiny bit thin, it won't go as far awry as it would with the 58. When the rough around the green is back to summertime, thicker conditions, the 62* is less likely to be necessary for me. I can swing a bit harder with my 58, knowing the rough will slow me down.

Full, square-faced swings with a 62* wedge are not always what you expect since the ball has a tendency to ride up the face, depending on the lie, so I would rarely use it for anything other than a little flop or downhill chip or pitch off a mogul around the green. It is however, a great club to practice with. You learn to be very precise with it after an hour or two working around the practice green from various difficult and uneven lies.

That was my short answer. Imagine my long answer. :facepalm

User avatar
GBOGEY
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:06 pm

I typically use an "M" grind for both my 58* and 54*. I find sometimes when conditions are very soft around here, mainly early Spring and late Fall, that the 58* can slide under the ball quite easily. So when I bought my SM6 (remember I'm a year behind) I saw a 54* S in the bargain bin and have used that during soft conditions. When I bought my SM7's, which are about to go into play, I didn't buy a third wedge as MS. Bogey would not have been pleased. Wondering if I should before my season gets serious.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:06 pm
I typically use an "M" grind for both my 58* and 54*. I find sometimes when conditions are very soft around here, mainly early Spring and late Fall, that the 58* can slide under the ball quite easily. So when I bought my SM6 (remember I'm a year behind) I saw a 54* S in the bargain bin and have used that during soft conditions. When I bought my SM7's, which are about to go into play, I didn't buy a third wedge as MS. Bogey would not have been pleased. Wondering if I should before my season gets serious.
I would (but I don't have a Mrs. Bogey to deal with. When it comes to my golf, my Mrs. E hasn't a clue what I buy. :ohyeah )

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 2400
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:18 pm

My newest golf purchase just arrived in the mail today:
Attachments
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 1162 times

User avatar
GBOGEY
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:22 pm
Contact:

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:27 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:11 pm
I would (but I don't have a Mrs. Bogey to deal with. When it comes to my golf, my Mrs. E hasn't a clue what I buy. :ohyeah )
My SM7 were delivered by Santa, so Mrs. Bogey would have noticed a 3rd wedge. But if I were to go by Edwin Watts this weekend. Let's just say the staff there doesn't spread rumors.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests