Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:07 pm

The month is not over but I doubt there is a better shot left in the bag for me in May.

The prelude: I was playing a little family-run par 70 course near home last Sunday. Parred the first hole and then began a long string of bogies and made the turn at "41" (7 over). The back nine is more difficult and measures about 3,450 yards - quite long for my game. There was little hope of breaking "80". I managed to par #10 & #11 and arrived at #12.

The hole: #12 is 397 yard par 4 with a severe dogleg right. Trees and a pond prevent taking a short cut so I generally try to hit my tee shot at the right hand 150 marker. I hit the drive well and it was on a perfect line. When it hit the turf, instead of bouncing forward 10 yards or more to the corner it just went "plop" and stopped. When I got to the ball, it had a nice chunk of mud on it. To make matters worse, the large willow tree and the 150 yard post on the corner were directly in my path to the green (which I wrestled the post out of the ground - moveable obstruction - ha ha ha). I could punch forward a bit and play my 3rd from well back, hit well right of the willow toward O.B. and hope for a huge hook or go left toward another water hazard and try to work the ball right.

The shot: Any hope of recording a decent score somewhat depended on saving par on #12 because #13 and #14 are long and rated as the toughest handicap holes. There was too much over-hanging vegetation (willow branches) to comfortably go right and O.B. was an issue. So I decided to go left and try to work the ball away from the hazard toward the green. Since this is supposed to be my best shot of May, you can predict the result.

I hit it perfectly; it started left and then began to work right. It hit near the front of the green and released toward the hole, stopping 6 feet away - a putt I then subsequently made.

Okay, I have bored everyone enough - your time to bore me.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Postby legitimategolf » Tue May 05, 2015 5:27 pm

I've been waiting for a topic like this. I've been wowing myself with some good shots lately, but I can pick one out above the others. I'll even include a photo (which I snapped right after the shot, to sort of preserve the moment).

IMG_8618.jpg
IMG_8618.jpg (869.59 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

It's the par 5 5th at where else--Silver Lake. On the card it's 480y and the #1 handicap hole. I teed off as always with a 3w, hit an okay ball to the right fairway. Got under it a bit though. I had 240y left, which sounds pretty good, but the fairway is a steep downhill, so you usually expect to be a bit closer.

Anyways, 240 is still a long way for me. Plus it's a big downhill lie. There's that tiny man made pool looming down to the right, ready to swallow up a low mishit, and of course trees hanging over the right hand side. I felt pretty good about 3w, that I could at least contact it solid and end up with a decent 3rd shot. But I hit it flush, it actually got some height as well as just the right amount of slice, hit the front slope just right and settled smack in the middle of the green. Might be the best shot I have ever hit.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 pm

I have a pretty limited selection given my move. So the best shot in my last 9 holes.

274 yard par 4. Bunkers front on both sides with an 8 yard gap. I stipe a drive pin high between the bunkers and 3 putt for par. For my 3rd failed birdie attempt (6' putt on #1, chipping for eagle on #3, putting for eagle on #5) in the first 5 holes.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Wed May 06, 2015 2:01 am

Aviara - hole 4. Short par 4. After topping my 3w tee shot short of the fairway, I gouged my 2nd shot out of the rough (also my 3w) and landed in the first of a complex of bunkers short of the green, leaving myself the dreaded 50yd bunker shot. I also had an awkward stance, with one foot on the lip of the bunker and one leg in. I managed to hit it well, going over the other 2 bunkers and onto the green.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:09 pm

Short Par4 dog leg left. Tree line on the left.

The plan was to put driver out over the tree line & have it cut into the fairway... biting off a large portion of the hole. The green is not wide, has some length & slopes back to front. There's also a bunker on the right side, hill & big tree on the left front.

I hit a straight pull over the tree line. No fade. I ended up on the next hole's tee box sitting nicely. The big tree was now between myself & the green. Punching under the tree would likely end up in trouble. There was almost no where to land it so it wouldn't hang up in the rough or go all the way through the green & into the bunker.

I had to get the ball up pretty quickly. I grabbed my 58', flopped it over the tree, ball landed a foot from the hole, & rolled on about 5'. It was the only time I have pulled off a quality shot with my lob wedge using something near a full-ish swing.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

MattF

Postby MattF » Thu May 07, 2015 6:24 am

Having not played this month yet, I'll pass. :cry:
Throw me another ball will ya!

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Sat May 09, 2015 5:58 am

I'll go with "post-lesson".

I didn't really realize how much better things had gotten until asking myself this question. What I mean is, I actually have a handful to choose from. Part of that means I haven't done anything amazing. I have had a handful of tap-in birdie putts, though. The best one is from about a month ago.

This one was one of my first rounds after my lesson. Hole 17 par 5. My ball striking was horrible that day. My tee shot was a horrible pull-hook that still managed to go about 220 yards into the adjacent fairway, and my second shot was a horribly toed shot that only went about 100 yards but ended up okay because I was so far left to begin with. I found myself about 180 yards out into a stiff wind. I pulled out my 200 yard club and did a little prayer before I took a swing and hit a picture perfect shot right at the middle of the green. I was ecstatic that I made solid contact. There was no draw, no fade. My playing partners were off in the forest looking for wayward shots, so I got to say to myself "I hope it's on the green".

When I pulled up to the green, there was a ball about six inches below the hole. I said to myself "that can't possibly be mine".

It was mine. I tapped it in for birdie. My playing partners were freaking out because they thought it was for eagle. No, ma'am. It's "just" a birdie.

brianmk24

Postby brianmk24 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:53 pm

#7 422 yd par 4 with an uphill drive

I finally hit a decent tee shot that round and ended up in the right rough between the fairway and the bunker (instead of usually ending up in the bunker). The rough was pretty thick and I was 190yds out, but I could sort of get the club behind it so I grabbed my 3h and knew I still wasn't going to get it there. I muscled it to 55yds, but in much less penal rough. I flopped a SW onto the green and the ball rolled and rolled and rolled off the back of the green. Fortunately, the ball stopped on a closely-mown area instead of rolling up against the first cut. Obviously an easy chip up the hill..hit the stick and drop in the cup for a par, no putts.

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Thu May 21, 2015 8:23 pm

My game this last couple weeks has been somewhat ragged. Let me set the stage. Musket Ridge G C. Hole 15, 341. Not long but narrow in the landing area with a 30' rise of trees and fescue along the left side and heavy fescue along the right leading to a ravine so steep you would never even attempt to find it. Not a driver hole but I pulled it anyway. Hard sliced tee shot so far left it was on hole 10 F/W. I climbed up the embankment, saw my ball and figured I was about 155 yards out. Grabbed my 7i, looking for some kind of line towards the green while picking my way down to it.

I hollered to my brother to keep an eye on it and ripped it hard in the general direction. All I heard was "nice shot." On the fringe 20' from the pin. Par from hell.
Tee it up!

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Postby legitimategolf » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:31 pm

Just remembered I had a shot worth mentioning a couple weeks ago at Silver Lake, that I never bothered telling anyone about. Finishing up on my last hole, the 9th. I skyballed the tee shot, leaving well over 200y to the green. I should've laid up, but my attitude was kind of shot at that point, and so I went for a 3w off an extreme upslope. Pulverized it but pulled it wide of the green.

When I got there it was close to green high, but nestled right in the nook of a tree trunk. Unplayable drop into some very heavy rough. I tried to flop it and hit it very heavy. Still in the rough, still facing a short sider but now with a fluffier lie I hit another flop for my fifth stroke. It landed inches from the hole, bounced up, banked against the stick and then slid straight down into the hole for bogey. It was quite a spectacle. I wished more people had been around to see it besides the one random single I was playing with.
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

jev

Postby jev » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Aw, missed this topic alltogether!

Gooimeer hole #2 on my homecourse Almeerderhout (movie) is a dogleg PAR4 (321 meter, 353 yards) with lots of water on the inside of the dogleg is water and there's more water in front of the green. It was a bit windy, about 6 Beaufort with gusts up to 7, blowing from the right last weekend. Some drizzle to make things even more uncomfortable.

My teeshot (driver) wasn't very good, it veered of to the right and lost a lot of speed, but landed right of the bunker that is on the inside of the dogleg. It than rolled on to stop mid dogleg, a good 145 yards to the pin. Wind in the back for the second shot, hit a 6 iron (or at least, tried to), that flew the green and disappeared in the water behind the green or in the thick rough. Never found it again. Stupid decision with wind and all, but you can't be short here.

So, I shot a provisional. Underclubbed it 2 clubs, 8 iron. Hit it perfectly on the sweetspot, it bounced between fron bunker and green to stop about a yard from the pin. Putted for bogey - but quite a shot that was! Too bad I lost the match 2&1, but that shot must've been the shot of the month for sure.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Can we just make this a thread for continuous updates of good shots?

Instead of WTF did you shoot today. Make a thread title of WTF how did I do that?

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:09 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:WTF how did I do that?

Pretty much my unstated question every time I hit a shot that does exactly what I was trying to do.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:28 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:

Pretty much my unstated question every time I hit a shot that does exactly what I was trying to do.

I've had too many times where I said "shit that went right where I aimed it" on the golf course.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:49 am

I have 2 good ones from May. Not sure which is better.

The first was a 490 yard par 5. I hit a good drive but it left me behind a tree which blocked the left 2/3 of the green and there is a bunker on the right side of the green.
I had 209 to a front left pin. I was in the rough and figured the ball would jump so I pulled a 5i when I'd normally hit a 4i there. The ball started at the right bunker to clear the tree and started drawing back to the flag. I couldn't see it down but I hit it well and the line it was coming down on I expected a really short eagle putt. I was shocked when I got to the green to see my ball on the green just shy of the back fringe I hit a 220 yard 5i, which is just insane for me. I knew it was well struck and a flyer but man that is a long ways. I then proceeded to 2 putt for birdie.

The 2nd was a called chip in on my last round. On the 15th hole the guy I was playing with decided to comment on how well I was playing the back 9. So I was standing over a birdie chip and he asked how I was doing on the back side. I said when I chip this in I'll be even. I proceeded to chip it in.

I actually had 3 or 4 other shots on my last round that would be notables for my best shot of may. Nearly drove 2 par 4s (312 yards and 280 yards, down wind and into wind respectfully). Also the last 2 par 3's I had birdie putts inside 6' (missed both) they were 170 yards and 108 yards.

My ball striking from the tee is coming around. A little more range time to get more consistency with the driver and I can see my handicap plunging 2-3 strokes given how consistent my iron play seems to be when I'm not having to punch out of trees.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:49 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I have 2 good ones from May. Not sure which is better.
The 2nd was a called chip in on my last round. On the 15th hole the guy I was playing with decided to comment on how well I was playing the back 9. So I was standing over a birdie chip and he asked how I was doing on the back side. I said when I chip this in I'll be even. I proceeded to chip it in.

I'd like to contribute here but don't have anything noteworthy. It's been bad... but I gotta say, love the called chip shot.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Coda1850 wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:I have 2 good ones from May. Not sure which is better.

I'd like to contribute here but don't have anything noteworthy. It's been bad... but I gotta say, love the called chip shot.

This isn't the first time I've called a chip shot. And it isn't like I frequently call shots. Very rarely but I've called 3 now. I think when I call the shot I just put a little more effort into concentrating so I dont look like a moron.

brianmk24

Postby brianmk24 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:43 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
bkuehn1952 wrote:

I've had too many times where I said "shit that went right where I aimed it" on the golf course.

I once said "I hit that too straight" after I drove through the fairway and my friend gave me the WTF look. So funny.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:31 am

My best shot from May...

First, a prelude.

Totally yanked my driver off the tee. It went about 30 degrees to the left and never got off the ground. I was 300 out on my second shot, and I was just hoping to advance it so I'd be in position to hit the green. I caught a tree and ended up a good 200 out still. My third shot was a pull that ended up pin high but a good 80 yards left of the green in a swampy area that wasn't quite wet enough to call casual water I had to hit over a bunker to a narrow green, but I chunked my shot from there, so I was still about 55 yards to the pin, but it had a good lie. I still had to hit over the bunker to the narrow green.

I pulled out my 56 degree wedge and did my pre-shot chip shot routine where I waggle through my swing 3-4 times to get the tempo down. I stepped up to the ball. I swung. Popped it up perfectly. Landed right where I wanted about five feet past the bunker on the high side of the pin. It bounced in place and then released in a controlled way slowly breaking towards the pin. Just when the ball seemed to come to a dead stop right next to the hole, it dropped.

For a bogey.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:48 pm

The last round I played (two weeks back), I hit the GIR on #10 at Mid-Carolina, the #1 handicap hole. It's a bogey hole at least. A 90 deg dogleg left with water hazard on the left side of the corner, and a steep uphill approach. Not a driver hole as you would go through the fairway. I hit a hybrid (3/20) off the tee with a little draw that put me in a great spot about 175-180 to the center of the green. I felt confident as ball striking was going pretty good today - so hit a 6 iron dang well. It veered up through the middle front of the green. Not as close as I wanted, but hitting this GIR is most satisfying. And I made the lengthy two putt (40'/5') for par.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:00 pm

For the first time in a while i have a shot that stands out. On a short, but well protected par 5, i put together some good shots to get my first eagle in a very long time.

I hit a good drive a bit over 300 (this is far for me; i certainly had some help from hills and roll) an had about 150 in to a very well protected green. It's downhill and only the top 3rd of the flag is visible. There are a couple fairway bunkers and a front greenside bunker to deal with and OB behind the. To make sure i didn't come up short i hit an easy 8i, just trying to get on the right side of the green (the bunker almost splits the green and causes a hill in the middle). I high and soft and knew I should be in a safe position, especially for my second shot on a 5. When i got there, my playing partners gave me the impression that it was better than expected. I ended up with a 4 foot easy putt for eagle, however, what i didn't realize was that when it landed, it took the slope and rolled right at the pin. It hit the edge and looped out to the spot where i saw it. They both though it was a double eagle the whole time.

Not that I don't appreciate the eagle, but a double eagle would probably have been a once in a lifetime accomplishment.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:10 pm

June - yes, the month is only half over but once again, I doubt I will hit anything better

Setting: we are trying to close out our competition on the 16th hole. My partner is in a bit of trouble so I am going to need to perform (each hole has 2 points possible - low ball of two players and low total for the two players). My drive was marginal but in the fairway with about 205 to the hole. That is a well hit 3-wood for this distance challenged senior citizen. A slight breeze in the face, cool & wet weather with bunkers pinching the front of the green.

The Shot: I hit it on the screws as we used to say. An arrow with a slight draw found the green, maybe 20 feet from the hole. Bonus - I rolled in the birdie and we took both points, effectively ending the match.

Epilogue: We also took both points on #17 and #18 to pretty much lay a smack down on the other team.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:18 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:June - yes, the month is only half over but once again, I doubt I will hit anything better

Oh come on. Unless you plan to not play I have faith you will hit a better shot.

Me on the other hand. This morning made me wonder if my response to this thread will start "On the range..."

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:05 am

I've been hacking it up pretty bad lately, but I hit a pretty decent shot a few weeks back.

My buddy and I played a local "Links" style course a couple of days before it was going to shut down for a year for renovation. Place was in poor shape, brown from lack of water.

On the 18th hole, a par 5, after an OB hook, I got my 3rd shot in the middle of the fairway, but still a good distance out from the green. My buddy just purchased a newer version of my 3 wood and asked me if I wanted to hit it. He then offerred, 'if you hit the green from here, you can have it.'.

Well, I hit my best shot of the day, never left the flag stick and landed on the green, rolling past the hole. Of course, I 3-putted for double, but now I have a backup 3 wood that I let my buddy carry in his bag. :lol:

jev

Postby jev » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Back from a pretty good long weekend in the northern part of France. My shot of the day and probably the month: backtees, hole 2, Golf du Wimereux is a 201 meter (220 yard) long PAR3 against the wind (and slightly from the left). I guess the height is some 40 yards down. Driver, slight draw, set up some 15 to 20 yards to the left since I expected the wind to pick it up and throw it right. Ended up exactly where it needed to be according to the book, some 2 yards from the pin. Missed the birdy-put, but easy par is not too bad here.

Of course, that was topped by the fantastic eagle my friend hit on Belle Dune, but I'll take it.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”