Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

sjduffers

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Postby sjduffers » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:21 pm

Yesterday in a $2 Nassau game with automatic pressed when 2 holes down, i had a tough bending 25 ft par putt to even the match on the last hole: the ball tracked on the line i envisioned and disappeared in the hole with some pace. My partner had a 15 footer to win outright after our last opponent's putt lipped out. And, drum roll... he made it! This was the best ever come from behind match i have ever won. It was so much fun, even though only $2 per person changed hands. It's all about the bragging rights, you know. :yess
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:32 am

sjduffers wrote: It's all about the bragging rights, you know. :yess

Absolutely! Well done. :thumbup:
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:11 am

Ball was in the rough with a squirrel-y lie. I had to go over water to the green, flag was front. I hit 2 extra clubs than the laser-ed distance to the front flag. Lets not go in the water. Long is o.k. I hit a good shot (that's not the shot). Hit & stayed on the back of the green.

From there I two-putted. 101 ft. two-putt! (o.k. it's 2 shots but whatever) < That 2 putt are the shots of the month for me.

This was hole # 17. It was my 3rd par in a row in an otherwise lost back nine.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:07 am

Well, I'm done playing for August. I didn't really have a best shot of the month. If I had to pick one, I'd choose one of my drives on my first round out since last November.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:55 am

Probably a 58* wedge from 65 yards out in the center of the fairway, over front bunker, to 2 inches from hole, for tap-in bird and just-missed eagle. This shot took place right after one of my best drives of the month, which got me to 65 yards out in the first place, on this 335-yard par 4. The resulting birdie was the third one in a row on that hole over a 3-day period.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:03 am

I had a couple good fw woods (I only have a 3w) this month. Normally I don't hit it that well off the deck.

First 235 to the hole 215 to carry the water. Boom high cut right side of the green.

Second 265 to the hole, 240 to front of green. I crushed it straight down the pi_e to the front edge.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:04 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I had a couple good fw woods (I only have a 3w) this month. Normally I don't hit it that well off the deck.

First 235 to the hole 215 to carry the water. Boom high cut right side of the green.

Second 265 to the hole, 240 to front of green. I crushed it straight down the pi_e to the front edge.

Ahh, what I'd give to be able to hit a 3W that far. Only in my dreams.

(I'd fill in the blank with a p, not a k.) :school

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:02 pm

Well, the last day of the month provided my "fireworks". Hit a nice drive in the fairway. Pitching wedge right at the hole. I saw it bounce, a split second delay and then "bonk" as it hit the flagstick. None of our group could see what happened but we all heard it. When I got to the green there were no balls near the stick so I kind of leaned in and there it was. Eagle "2".
Let's Play 36

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Well, the last day of the month provided my "fireworks". Hit a nice drive in the fairway. Pitching wedge right at the hole. I saw it bounce, a split second delay and then "bonk" as it hit the flagstick. None of our group could see what happened but we all heard it. When I got to the green there were no balls near the stick so I kind of leaned in and there it was. Eagle "2".

:clap: :yess
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:41 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Well, the last day of the month provided my "fireworks". Hit a nice drive in the fairway. Pitching wedge right at the hole. I saw it bounce, a split second delay and then "bonk" as it hit the flagstick. None of our group could see what happened but we all heard it. When I got to the green there were no balls near the stick so I kind of leaned in and there it was. Eagle "2".

Awesome, Brian! :thumbup:

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:38 pm

DougE wrote:
Ahh, what I'd give to be able to hit a 3W that far. Only in my dreams.

(I'd fill in the blank with a p, not a k.) :school

Yet you would smoke me score wise so...

And very nice bk. I've never holed out for eagle. My 3 have all been 1 putts (oddly all par 4s too).

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:50 pm

jfurr wrote:

:clap: :yess

I second those sentiments, and will add this one :banana

Well done Brian!

MattF

Postby MattF » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:22 am

Nice Brian! :thumbup:
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:59 am

I only played 2 rounds this month (both yesterday). I had 3 shots that could register as SOTM for me. 2 came on the same hole basically the same shot.

#17 both times playing it I hit bad tee shots and had to punch out (par 5). I left myself 259 and 271 to a back pin. The hole plays downhill about 10 yards. I hit 3w into the middle of the green both times. Possibly the 2 best 3w's I've hit ever.

On #9 I was on the face of the bunker (they don't cut the face rough as low as other rough, so the rough was nasty). 105 yards out on a massive up-slope. I blasted an 8i out of the lie onto the green, getting an applause from the ranger that happened to stop bye right before the shot. 2 putt for the par to take a skin.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:01 pm

October 9. I was playing well. #18 is a long par 4, and this day, playing up a tee ii was a bit under the advertised 436. I typically try to hit up the right side with a slight draw. When hit perfectly, my ball may hit the cart path and get me closer to the green. This day it went perfectly, 290 on the drive, leaving a pitching wedge and a 10 foot birdie putt. :yess
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:05 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:When hit perfectly, my ball may hit the cart path and get me closer to the green. This day it went perfectly, 290 on the drive, leaving a pitching wedge and a 10 foot birdie putt. :yess

:clap:
It's always worth ruining a ball on the cart path for one of those favorable bounces. Hope you thought to use an old ball for that hole. If you didn't, well, at least now you have a good used-up one for the next time the situation arises. ;)

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:11 am

DougE wrote:It's always worth ruining a ball on the cart path for one of those favorable bounces. Hope you thought to use an old ball for that hole. If you didn't, well, at least now you have a good used-up one for the next time the situation arises. ;)

QFT

(I just learned what that means so I plan on using it until everyone else pukes. I am old but I am hip)
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:58 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
QFT

(I just learned what that means so I plan on using it until everyone else pukes. I am old but I am hip)

LOL

(Need help with that one?) :lol:

bkuehn1952

Describe Your Best Shot of November

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:32 am

Hard to imagine my hitting a better shot in the 10 days left. If I do, I will come back and edit this post.

Thursday (11/17), on the last hole, I pulled my drive into the left rough. I had a downhill lie that I had to fade/slice around a large tree trunk and under some large overhanging tree limbs. I also had to get enough "air" to clear the pond. I was 130 yards to the green.

The downhill lie helped a bit with the fade. I punched a 6-iron which faded around the tree and glided under the tree limbs, Cleared the water hazard and trundled up the fairway a bit to the green. Stopped about 15 feet from the hole. I canned the putt for birdie and a "79" (7.0 differential if it had been in season).

Considering the obstacles as well as the required shot trajectory, this was one of my better shots of the year.
Let's Play 36

sjduffers

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of November

Postby sjduffers » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:06 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:Hard to imagine my hitting a better shot in the 10 days left. If I do, I will come back and edit this post.

Thursday (11/17), on the last hole, I pulled my drive into the left rough. I had a downhill lie that I had to fade/slice around a large tree trunk and under some large overhanging tree limbs. I also had to get enough "air" to clear the pond. I was 130 yards to the green.

The downhill lie helped a bit with the fade. I punched a 6-iron which faded around the tree and glided under the tree limbs, Cleared the water hazard and trundled up the fairway a bit to the green. Stopped about 15 feet from the hole. I canned the putt for birdie and a "79" (7.0 differential if it had been in season).

Considering the obstacles as well as the required shot trajectory, this was one of my better shots of the year.

Nice one! :clap: Two week ago, I had a similar shot from the right rough under the trees, with a pond in front and slightly downhill: I made it to the other side of the pond, but didn't fade quite enough to be on the green (stayed left) and of course didn't make birdie.

It's amazing when a complicated plan comes together through perfect execution. Kudos! :banana

bkuehn1952

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of November

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:22 am

sjduffers wrote:
It's amazing when a complicated plan comes together through perfect execution. Kudos!

No one was more surprised by the outcome and I. :shock:
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

December - Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:29 am

With the clubs in the basement, 26 degrees (f) outside, the ground covered in white shit and 3-5 inches predicted for Saturday night, my guess is I need to select a shot from the past week.

I came to the final hole of 2016. It was a par 5 and I thought to myself on the tee, "wouldn't it be cool to birdie the last hole of the year?" As a short par 5 (a mere 450 yards), the odds were that 2 good shots would get me close. I hit a decent drive and nice 2nd to end up about 50 yards away. I hit the best shot of the day, a sawed off sand wedge high in the air. It plopped 2 feet to the right of the hole and trickled a few feet. So here I am, a slightly right turning down-hiller from 4 feet. I could not have asked for a better or more timely wedge. Best shot of the month. :D

Say good night, Gracie.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:47 am

Nice. But from you, BK, I would not expect anything less. Maybe from Mr. Etiquette, but not from you. ;)

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:00 am

Just had my best shot of the month (from only two 9-hole rounds) on the 2nd shot of my first hole played on Wednesday. Started out on 14th. Hit a great drive, but a little tiny bit left of fairway edge. Then my shot of the month was an 80-85 yard 54* wedge to 2 inches. Another half roll and it's an eagle. Satisfied with tap-in bird. It wasn't just a good shot. It was exactly as I envisioned it when I decided on the 54* wedge, a 1 inch choke down and a somewhat shortened swing. Coming out of rough, I aimed to land it about 2-3 yards short and roll it close. Landed it on my target spot and could not have rolled it much closer than I did. :yess

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:39 am

My best shot in a long time was a provisional.

I hooked a drive past the tree line at #18 at Dyker. I attempted to carve a big slice with a 5w up and over the trees. It seemed like an almost unfeasible play. But last hole of a meaningless, mediocre round, freezing cold and ready to head home, is not really a time to be conservative. I thinned it, it failed to launch properly and went right into the trees. I didn't see the ball finish. So even though I was pretty sure I'd find it I exploited the provisional rule, dropped another ball and tried it again. This one launched over the trees, made the right turn and carried onto the green, about 20' away. Very impressive feat, I was probably more startled than impressed. But then I found my original ball just past the tree line, rendering this great "shot" more or less non-existent.
insufficient data

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”