Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

DougE

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Postby DougE » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:37 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:My best shot in a long time was a provisional.

But then I found my original ball just past the tree line, rendering this great "shot" more or less non-existent.

Don't you know that when your provisional is THAT good, you are not supposed to find the original?........nor even attempt to.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:28 am

I had a couple really good irons in my last round. Hard to choose.

Obviously the 4i from 196 that was absolutely perfect on #8. Draining the 10 foot putt helped the dream of an under par 9.

But my best shot might have been a cut PW from 110 on #12. Had to start it at the bunker to work it around a tree. Hit it perfect leaving myself 4' for birdie (which I missed).

Hard to pick both were perfectly executed, only difference is the wedge was a harder shot for me (cutting a wedge 10-15 yards off its start line).
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:58 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I had a couple really good irons in my last round. Hard to choose.

Obviously the 4i from 196 that was absolutely perfect on #8. Draining the 10 foot putt helped the dream of an under par 9.

But my best shot might have been a cut PW from 110 on #12. Had to start it at the bunker to work it around a tree. Hit it perfect leaving myself 4' for birdie (which I missed).

Hard to pick both were perfectly executed, only difference is the wedge was a harder shot for me (cutting a wedge 10-15 yards off its start line).

I vote for the cut PW. That is harder to do than hitting a perfectly clean 4i, not that that's any small feat either. But the PW shot had to planned, executed and shaped to perfection. The 4 iron just needed to be hit cleanly and on target. I would love to have both of those shots in a round, but as satisfied with myself as I would be after hitting a 4 iron that well, I think I might be even a lot more proud of myself for shaping the PW like I planned, to 4 feet. Great shots Jason! :clap:

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:18 pm

Good shots indeed, Mr. Fish! :clap:

Mine came the other day when on a 195 yards par 3 into the wind, I flared out my 3W towards the bunker to the right of the hole when the pin is tucked behind another bunker on the left. Wait. That's not the good shot! :D The ball was just a few inches off the back lip, on a slight downhill, so I picked a gap wedge, gripping down to the steel and rehearsing a really steep takeaway for quite a few times, readjusting my stance, the grip, etc... until I thought: Ok, let's do this!...

The plan was to take a stab at the ball, missing the back lip of course and getting the ball slightly elevated and running enough to bounce once and then clear the front lip of the bunker, fall onto the green and keep running towards the hole. And that's exactly what happened, the ball tumbling onto the green, running across the whole green and finally stopping hole high about 5 feet to the right (i.e. towards the back of the green). Sweet! And then, I made the putt to make this even sweeter. :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:54 pm

sjduffers wrote:
The plan was to take a stab at the ball, missing the back lip of course and getting the ball slightly elevated and running enough to bounce once and then clear the front lip of the bunker, fall onto the green and keep running towards the hole. And that's exactly what happened, the ball tumbling onto the green, running across the whole green and finally stopping hole high about 5 feet to the hole...

Outstanding! :thumbup:
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:48 pm

I don't know if this counts, 'cause I already claimed my best shot of the month last week. But this one was close. Par 3 15th was playing about 141. As you can see in the picture, my pitchmark is right on line, about 2 feet short of the pin. Though I had a lot of spin on it, I think the ball probably hit the pin on the first bounce and fell about a foot away, though it is possible it spun back to where it ended up. (I could not actually see it land as the front of the green is raised with a bunker in front.) Either way, another "almost" ace, but I still haven't carded an actual one yet. At least this was a tap-in bird. I have been so close to an ace, so many times, I'm beginning to think I have somehow pissed off the golf gods enough that I will never get one.
Attachments
Almost ace.jpg
Almost ace.jpg (151.67 KiB) Viewed 897 times

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:38 am

Yesterday on the astroturf green at the range I holed three chips in a row in very fast succession, i.e. before the previous ball even reached the target. Not posting this to boast or anything, it was just a funny scene. If anyone else noticed I'm pretty sure they were like "Jesus Christ, what an asshole." I know that would've been my reaction.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 am

A bit late on this and there weren't a lot of contenders in January. Has to be a shot from my January 1 "bookend" round. 8th hole drive. The hole is a fairly sharp dogleg to the left. My landing area, roughly 200 or so yards off the tee has the fairway width around 10 yards. Most of the times my draw is not enough and I bust through the dogleg (which is okay as there is just light rough for the most part). On January 1, I took an aggressive line and put that sucker dead in the middle. From there a nice little wedge allowed me to roll in a birdie putt.
Let's Play 36

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Hadn't played since September. Played maybe 27 holes in 14 months.

Played in a scramble last week for my first round in five months. Birdied the first hole by myself. Birdied another one by myself, too. I think it was number 6. One of my best "first seven holes" ever. We used almost all of my shots. And then it fell apart. I don't think we used any of my shots on 8-17.

And then there was hole number 18. I hit a very lucky drive to a spot where we weren't supposed to hit to. We were 170 out on a par 5 on the only patch of flat grass within 50 yards in any direction, and I stuck it about 8 feet from the pin to give us an eagle putt.

We didn't sink it, either. I putted first to see if I could complete my eagle, and I hit it way too hard off of the back of the cup.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 am

Wow, an eagle putt opportunity. They come along for me at about the same rate as Halley's Comet appears. Good for you. On your first day back, no less. :yess

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:06 am

I promise you, if I played that hole 100 more times, I would not have another eagle putt. You're not supposed to hit it to where I hit my tee shot.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:24 pm

No question. It was today, a nice high little draw with the 5 wood that landed about 1/3 deep into the green, then rolled... then disappeared for my first hole in one. :yess

Wet course and cool conditions, hence the club which is normally my 190-195 yards stick, but it was the right club for the job today! :banana

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 pm

sjduffers wrote:... then disappeared for my first hole in one. :yess

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!! Nice! :thumbs
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:36 pm

sjduffers wrote:No question. It was today, a nice high little draw with the 5 wood that landed about 1/3 deep into the green, then rolled... then disappeared for my first hole in one. :yess

Wet course and cool conditions, hence the club which is normally my 190-195 yards stick, but it was the right club for the job today! :banana

Very nice! Sounds like it was a really great shot, not a lucky one. Fantastic! I'm jealous. Still waiting for my first.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!! Nice! :thumbs

Thanks!

DougE wrote:Very nice! Sounds like it was a really great shot, not a lucky one. Fantastic! I'm jealous. Still waiting for my first.

Yes, the shot felt really good and the flight was pretty in the air, pretty much on the flag the whole time. It was 174 yards to the hole by the way. I meant to mention that in my post but somehow forgot...

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:45 am

sjduffers wrote:No question. It was today, a nice high little draw with the 5 wood that landed about 1/3 deep into the green, then rolled... then disappeared for my first hole in one. :yess

Congratulations! :banana
Throw me another ball will ya!

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:09 am

Awesome indeed! sjd joins thee HIO club.
Tee it up!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:41 am

Awesome. I'm pushing 30 years of golf with out one. Heck I've never holed out from more than 40 yards
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:12 am

Congrats SJD!. Did anyone else see? Did you buy beers and whatnot? I think I'm still unclear on the post HIO routine.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you very much guys. It was a good looking shot in the air. You know what they say about blind squirrels and acorns? I believe it applies here. No matter: it did happen and I am happy about it. I now have achieved two of the hardest things in two different "sports" (or games as you wish): a hole in one and a 300 bowling score. I might as well quit now (like I did with bowling just a year after the feat, because my elbow and back were taking a beating). I doubt it's going to happen with golf: as long as I can physically swing, I'll play.

To Mr. Fish, I have been playing for 15 years and this is the first one, but in the last, say, 5 years, I have been playing almost 3 times a week on average, so I believe you are almost due... almost. :cmon :thumbs :P

To Duke's questions, yes I had a witness, a guy I got paired with on the first tee. I offered him to celebrate elsewhere as the course has closed the bar/restaurant for some violations more than a year ago and the city hasn't replaced it yet (this is a muni course, run by the city). I think you are supposed to buy a drink of their choice (and usually, it's well drinks, not beers, that people choose) to your group and pretty much anyone in the bar at the time... I got off real easy.

We went into the pro shop to leave our information as they said they have a "binder full of holes in one", but couldn't find it. I had a vision of Mitt Romney and his "binder full of women" for a second and LOL'd inside. Not sure, what it means anyway. I don't really care, but I wanted to let them know that it did happen.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Allez!!! I am seriously impressed. Bowling a 300 is an awesome feat!!!
insufficient data

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Allez!!! I am seriously impressed. Bowling a 300 is an awesome feat!!!

Yes.I got lucky twice (bowling and golf). Actually 3 times, when you count meeting my wife! :P

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:18 pm

sjduffers wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Allez!!! I am seriously impressed. Bowling a 300 is an awesome feat!!!

Yes.I got lucky twice (bowling and golf). Actually 3 times, when you count meeting my wife! :P

Bowling 300 is not getting lucky. Don't be a jerk. :fkno
insufficient data

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:26 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
sjduffers wrote:

Bowling 300 is not getting lucky. Don't be a jerk. :fkno

OK. The first 9 frames and maybe even the 10th and 11th strikes are not luck (and I had a few 279s before and even a streak of 18 strikes in a row across 2 games), but I can guarantee you that for that 12th strike, I had jello legs, an elevated heart rhythm and just wasn't feeling like myself: it's like I was watching somebody else roll that ball down the lane. It wasn't a super solid strike that takes the pocket down with full force, more like a whimper but all the pins fell down. Everyone in the alley (a 36 lanes one) was watching too. In other words: huge pressure! HUGE, I am telling you. The weirdest feeling I have ever had (the hole in one does not even compare as you just hit a normal shot and then watch it). In that sense, it was lucky.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:12 pm

sjduffers wrote:Yes.I got lucky twice (bowling and golf). Actually 3 times, when you count meeting my wife! :P

Didn't realize your wife reads these boards. Good thinkin'! ;)

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”