Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

jfurr

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Post by jfurr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Tradition Golf Club (Pawleys Island SC) number 8 - (#1 hcp hole) 408 yd par 4. I hit a powerful long draw down the fairway with a breeze behind, ended up 120 from the flag in the center fairway. Hit full 50º wedge (downwind) and nearly jarred it in the hole, hit the stick and dinged the side of the cup. Ended up 8 feet right of the hole, missed the birdie but it was an awesome approach shot, love that loud clack as it hit the stick.

Actually, if it had just missed the stick it might have been right beside the hole for an easy birdie as there was ton of spin on the ball.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:06 am

Do shots on the driving range count?

So I've only played 1 round this month and it was disgusting. Maybe my best shot was that I holed at 23' par putt on #9?

Ok, seriously I guess my best shot(s) were more of a couple hole stretch where I didn't seem to be completely incompetent. First was on a 223 yard par 3 13th hole. 190 yards of carry. I hit a 4i to 28' and 2 putted for par. The next was a 340 yard par 4 I hit 3w to within 5 feet of my target then I hit a 3/4 SW to about 15' (but it was 5' from my target as well, given a massive ridge right of the hole I aimed left). Then the next hole was a longish par 4 that required laying up off the tee as the FW ran out. I hit 4i, then 5i to an elevated green and 3 putted from about 75'. There was nothing outstanding in that stretch of holes just some how solid ball striking reappeared when I was staring into the abyss that day.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:41 am

The Black Horse course at Bayonet/Black Horse in Seaside CA, hole #4. After a good drive (for me) that leaves me 115 short of the flag, downhill, I leave my approach shot at least 10 yards short due to a bad estimation of the wind (meaning it was in my face and didn't take it into account!). I have a little bit of an uphill to the green and about halfway through to the hole a big ridge in the green that creates a big break left: I chip the ball just short of the top of the ridge (towards my side), it bounces a little, starts rolling, slows down, crests the ridge, slowly gathers some speed and takes the break down on the other side, finally slows down and gently enters the hole without rattling the flag which is still in. After the missed approach, that was the most satisfying chip-in birdie!
Last edited by sjduffers on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:18 pm

I refuse to list my best shot until the month ends, but today had a highlight. On the 9th hole, my 16 year old son hit a 30 footer for par, then I followed up with a 25 footer for bird. Nice back to back.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun May 01, 2016 9:25 am

GBOGEY wrote:I refuse to list my best shot until the month ends, but today had a highlight. On the 9th hole, my 16 year old son hit a 30 footer for par, then I followed up with a 25 footer for bird. Nice back to back.
As I said, the month wasn't over. Yesterday from a blind 165 yd shot up and over a hill and down to the green, hit a beautiful 6i to about 5 feet. Okay, maybe not that great, but it was one of those shots where the moment I swung I said to myself, "that's going to be really good," and it was. Of course, I had to walk 50 yards to the top of the hill to see how good it was. I absolutely love that "that was really good" feeling. Unfortunately it only happens once every 2-3 rounds.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Well April gave me two contenders. I picked the 2nd "hole out" for eagle on #14 at Lake Forest. Downhill lie forced me to put a good swing on it and I did. At 150 yards going in was a fluke but if it had missed the hole it was still going to be really close.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:28 pm

I had 2 sweet 7i shots from the fairway. Just well struck, high ball flight, with a nice little fade on 'em. 156 yards & 158 yards out. They were similar in that both were a good amount downhill to the greens. (Both birdie putts scared the hole but didn't drop - 2 pars made)

Pretty simple but I'll take it. 5 rounds this year - I haven't had alot of great shots.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri May 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Second round up at Penn National the other day. Me and my brother. Hole 6, Par 3. Playing 168 to the pin. Elevated green, water right. Splashed it after drawing a 6i right of the green off the bank. Could have dropped just off the green for easy chip.

But no. I was pissed and dropped on the box and hit my third dead at it. One hop and in the hole for a par. WTF!
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat May 21, 2016 7:13 am

CeeBee wrote:Second round up at Penn National the other day. Me and my brother. Hole 6, Par 3. Playing 168 to the pin. Elevated green, water right. Splashed it after drawing a 6i right of the green off the bank. Could have dropped just off the green for easy chip.

But no. I was pissed and dropped on the box and hit my third dead at it. One hop and in the hole for a par. WTF!
Nice mulli-ace. I'll collect my mulli-drink next time I see you. :thumbup:

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat May 21, 2016 9:54 am

Alas, just a par. But the drink is on me.
Tee it up!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:53 am

Nice. I still have not holed out from more than 40-50 yards in nearly 30 years

jev

Post by jev » Mon May 30, 2016 3:06 pm

Best shot must've been this last weekend. Played Winston Links on Saturday and Winston Open on Sunday. Driving was great, I didn't miss a single drive in 30 holes (we had to cut the Open at 12 because of thunderstorms). First hole of the weekend, PAR4 408 meters (446 yards or so). Great drive, followed by a nice 22* rescue on the green, PAR. Second hole dito, pretty nice driving, followed by some good long irons and woods. Up to 16, everything was nice and good, than hit a 4 iron in the hard ground which I felt in my arm as if someone hit the crazy bone. Could not a hit a single iron from that point on.

Sunday's round started good enough, from the tips right over the heads from some guys playing an old-farts competition that didn't want to wait at our tee. We played the back tees, they waited at the medal tees some 100 meters down the hole. Stupid guys... Nice drives from the tee, irons okay-ish but those greens were horrible. Best shot of the day: teeshot on the 4th, a 165 yard PAR3 from high up against the wind. 6 Iron, 3 yards from the pin. Missed the birdie due to the stupidly bad greens though.

Winston still is one of my favorites to play. And with teetimes at least 15 minutes apart, you don't see a single flight all round long.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Playing the Senator Course at Capitol Hill (the LPGA course) today, pulled my drive with a weakish 185 yd hook (nowhere near my ballflight today), pulled a six iron from 162, was dead on the flag, did not see it hit the flag, but had an 8inch putt for birdie, and am pretty sure I hit the stick.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:24 am

I had a string of 4 holes with great chip/pitch shots. The down side is "why was I there in the first place?"

#1 - I hit a bad block into the woods. Took a drop about 40 yards from the green. Well below the green (not able to see surface or flag) with a bunker just before the green. The green was pretty narrow and sloping away from me. My ball rested against a small tuft of wiry grass. I hit a big high flop shot that landed just over the bunker and rolled down to 4' (I missed the putt).
#2 - awkward lie with a bush behind the ball if I wanted to go straight at the green/flag. Luckily that wasn't a good choice, because there was a massive slope from behind the green down to the flag. I landed the ball about 15' right of the green on the slope, the ball trundled through the thick rough onto the green and about 12' past the hole. I am not sure it could have gotten closer with out hitting the flag stick.
#3 - pretty straight forward chip that I hit perfectly and went into the hole to save par
#4 - ball way below the green surface. The flag was in a little bowl. I couldn't see the flag from where I was so I picked a landing spot. I hit with in 6" of that spot and ran up the hill just in time to see the ball fall into the hole for birdie. That won me a skin on the hole and $52.
#5 - I hit the green in regulation? WTF was I thinking?

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 am

I played ton of golf the past month because of a temporary 'retirement.' But, i've checked back into reality and took the first week off from golf this past week so my game was a bit rusty. Yesterday was no exception. I've been getting a little erratic off the tee. I hit some decent drives, and some terrible drives, but nothing was great. The last two holes, i figured something out and on 18 i hit two of the best consecutive shots i've ever struck.

It's kind of a bullshit hole, a very short (471 per the card) par 5 with very little trouble. Plus, this makes the course a 6,800 yd par 73, so stretching that hole into a 5 isn't necessary. Anyway, i beat a drive down the center of the fairway (it just felt longer than anything i've hit in a while), a good 50+ yards past my playing partner. When i got to it, i had 122 in to the flag. I hit my 52* as well as i ever have and left a ball mark 6in in front of the pin and was left with 4-5 feet in. Of course i two putter for a 'birdie' from there, but the driver/gap wedge consecutive shots were probably the best i've ever hit. And of course it comes on 18 to wrap up a pedestrian round.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue May 31, 2016 12:13 pm

Some pretty special "bests" this past month, topped by CeeBee's stroke & distance par 3.

Mine is somewhat situational in nature. I had played a mediocre round leading up to #17 at our little local goat track, Rolling Meadows. I needed to make a birdie to have a chance at breaking "80". #17 is a 231 yard par 3. It goes through a chute of trees and over a large pond. I have to hit driver and frankly, even a "4" is not too bad for me. Strong wind is blowing left to right and hurting me somewhat. Hit a solid driver and put it 6 feet from the hole, then roll it in for a "2".

Of course I butchered the relatively easy par 4 18th hole to shoot "80". :facepalm
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:13 am

Played in a shamble yesterday, which I highly recommend over a scramble. Won closest to the pin with a shot to about 11 inches on a par 3. Beautiful shot intentionally hit into the backstop and rolled back to the pin. Didn't go in which is unfortunate because the hole had a $50,000 prize for a hole-in-one.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:35 am

GBOGEY wrote:... Didn't go in which is unfortunate because the hole had a $50,000 prize for a hole-in-one.
Nice! :thumbup:
Let's Play 36

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:04 am

GBOGEY wrote:Played in a shamble yesterday, which I highly recommend over a scramble. Won closest to the pin with a shot to about 11 inches on a par 3. Beautiful shot intentionally hit into the backstop and rolled back to the pin. Didn't go in which is unfortunate because the hole had a $50,000 prize for a hole-in-one.
:wtf: :fk $50K!

I enjoy the shamble format too. Same thing as a Texas Scramble, right? Basically team picks a tee shot to play, then everybody plays their own ball in from there?
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:56 pm

I played this morning so it is safe to say, I have hit my last golf shot for June.

June had a number of candidates. I am going with the approach shot on #18 from the tournament at Gateway Golf Club. The hole is a par 5, about 500 yards. My drive and layup were not particularly good. I had a fairly stiff breeze in my face and I had made a string of bogies near the end of the round. I normally would have hit 8 iron but I figured the wind was an issue and I had been leaving shots short. Struck the 7 iron solidly and it hit & checked 3-4 feet from the hole. The fact that I rolled in the breaking putt drew a line under the approach - it had to be pretty good for me to have a decent chance at birdie. As it turned out, the birdie got me into solo 2nd and put a little extra script in my pocket.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Not too many too chose from.

But I did hit 1 shot all month where after pulling it off my thought was, this is how pro's turn being in jail into a par.

Hole 16 a 420 yard par 4. Hit a terrible drive into the right rough under the trees. I some how found the only real deep rough on the course, the ball is sitting down with about a 1/2" of grass above the ball. The grass in this spot was pretty thick too (not Oakmont, but not pretty either). I had around 165-170 into the green and had some low over hanging branches. I pulled a 5i and hit a big slinging cut around the tree putting it about 10' from the edge of the green. I started the ball about 40 yards left of the green and cut/sliced it around the tree and over a green side bunker. From there it should have been a pretty easy chip, which I proceeded to leave 10' short of the hole and 2 putt for bogie.

But I impressed myself with what I was able to do just to get that ball around the green and leave myself a decent opportunity for par.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:01 pm

195-yard 4W approach from difficult downhill lie, with forced carry over large environmental hazard, over line of 3 or 4 bunkers protecting green, perfectly straight at pin, to just 10-12 feet past. Toughest hole on tough course. Best shot of month, year, maybe even career. (Missed the birdie putt by an inch. Damn!)

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Easy: a 220 yards drive in the middle of the fairway on #18! :)

This was my first round following the health scare I had in early May, that put me in the hospital for 2 weeks and with a rehab at home of 6+ weeks. I was still very winded and shot 87: made a few putts (including a 15 footer or so) and had a couple nice pitches from 40-50 yards out, but the big stick was really hard to manage: one swing and I was gasping for air in the middle of the round, and the result was snap hooks. Played shorter clubs after that which is why I had a few good 40-50 yards pitches... Regardless, on the 18th, I took the big stick out again and striped it. Sure, it's not very far by most of you guys' standard, but it's pretty decent for me, and I consider it the best shot of the day, which is also the best shot in the last 2 months. QED.
I'm gonna go low this time...

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:22 am

I got nothing.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:16 pm

Hit one of my better hybrids ever today. From 215 into a 5-10 yard wind, hit a perfect ball to pin high, 25 feet from the hole. Eagle putt gave the hole a look but settled for a tap-in birdie. Those are rare enough as is.