Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Duke of Hazards

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:12 am

I concur with beef. Bowling 300 is far more impressive than a hole in one. What I like even better is the outing of the den of depravity and wickedness that you got your HIO at. Makes for a much better tale.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:12 am

sjduffers wrote:No question. It was today, a nice high little draw with the 5 wood that landed about 1/3 deep into the green, then rolled... then disappeared for my first hole in one. :yess

Wet course and cool conditions, hence the club which is normally my 190-195 yards stick, but it was the right club for the job today! :banana

:banana :yess

Congrats!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 am

Still haven't holed out from more than 40 yards.
Attachments
IMG_20170326_085200.jpg
IMG_20170326_085200.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 753 times
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:15 am

Did you make the putt?
(Couldn't resist.)

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:26 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Still haven't holed out from more than 40 yards.

What he is not saying is that was a 5 foot putt to get there. :bawl
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:59 pm

srogers13 wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:Still haven't holed out from more than 40 yards.

What he is not saying is that was a 5 foot putt to get there. :bawl

41 yards out.

Just kidding was a 116 yard gw. Trying to cut it to take a little off, I didn't quite cut it far enough.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:12 pm

Nice shot! :thumbs
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Postby MattF » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 am

Yesterday, playing at Bayou Club in St Petersburg. Diabolical greens, very fast and I had a putt on the top ridge of #10. Rev said have fun with that one and I did. It was a slider...had to putt across the ridge and down to the hole. Right in the heart of the cup for my only birdie of the day.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:20 am

MattF wrote:Yesterday, playing at Bayou Club in St Petersburg. Diabolical greens, very fast and I had a putt on the top ridge of #10. Rev said have fun with that one and I did. It was a slider...had to putt across the ridge and down to the hole. Right in the heart of the cup for my only birdie of the day.

My friend use to work there. Yes those greens are really quick.

I played it one time after they had a club championship, they had the greens dried out and hitting into them was like hitting onto the cart path, and they had them stimping around 12.5 that day. It was by far the hardest set up I've ever played.

I even remember the score I shot that day. At that time I was probably a 16-18 handicap and shot 116 :fk

But I also have a good memory of that course. The 1 and only time I've hit driver off the deck and got it on the green was on the 10th hole there. I hit driver/driver and had an eagle putt (I made par)

What other courses are you playing in the area?

MattF

Postby MattF » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
My friend use to work there. Yes those greens are really quick.

I played it one time after they had a club championship, they had the greens dried out and hitting into them was like hitting onto the cart path, and they had them stimping around 12.5 that day. It was by far the hardest set up I've ever played.

I even remember the score I shot that day. At that time I was probably a 16-18 handicap and shot 116 :fk

But I also have a good memory of that course. The 1 and only time I've hit driver off the deck and got it on the green was on the 10th hole there. I hit driver/driver and had an eagle putt (I made par)

What other courses are you playing in the area?

That's cool fish! :yess

We played Pebble Creek in the morning yesterday and then Bayou in the arvo. I shot a 52/48 100 at Bayou...16 handicap.

I played Eastwood in Fort Myers on Wednesday and am playing Eagle Ridge tomorrow morning. I wanted to play San Carlos in Estero, but from what I'm reading the conditions are terrible at the moment...no rain and they haven't been watering. I don't know if I'll play on Wednesday, probably not because I have to get my wife and son to the airport at 4.30 and then I have to get everything packed ready for a 5 or so AM departure for the drive back to Ohio.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jev

Postby jev » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm

sjduffers wrote:my first hole in one. :yess

Well done, well done! Enjoy! :ohyeah
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:44 am

Doubt I will have a better result this month and I want to brag a bit. I was on the tee at Cedar Creek's 18th, a 540 yard par 5. I had just done the "ninja wall climb" so I was feeling empowered. Busted a 306 yard drive drive right down the pipe (gps measured). :thrust

Okay, so it was pretty much down slope the entire way. But it never hit the cart path! More on the ninja wall a bit later.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:00 am

bkuehn1952 wrote: Busted a 306 yard drive drive right down the pipe (gps measured). :thrust

Okay, so it was pretty much down slope the entire way. But it never hit the cart path!

Awesome! Score one for us old guys. Love it. :ohyeah

(Hope you were able to take advantage and make at least a par.)

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:57 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:Doubt I will have a better result this month and I want to brag a bit. I was on the tee at Cedar Creek's 18th, a 540 yard par 5. I had just done the "ninja wall climb" so I was feeling empowered. Busted a 306 yard drive drive right down the pipe (gps measured). :thrust

Okay, so it was pretty much down slope the entire way. But it never hit the cart path! More on the ninja wall a bit later.

Nice.

You all make me sound like I'm a long drive champ of this website, but that tops my best drive in the last 3 years (since getting game golf) by 2 yards.

:thumbs

Also please don't tell me you laid up after that?

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:13 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Also please don't tell me you laid up after that?

JFish, me thinks you are too young and virile.

As we get older, we become more realistic. Personally, unless the remaining slope to the green was all downhill, and there was a clear path to roll it onto the green, I would NOT be going for anything except a layup to a distance of which I am very confident in hitting a full shot from there to the pin. That's just me. Of course, a perfectly hit 3W for me (and I mean PERFECTLY), might be 210 yards. More likely less. (I'm guessing, BK is similar in distance.) My attitude is to not waste a great drive by getting in trouble with an ill-advised, go-for-it 2nd shot if the odds are low of getting a satisfactory result, or if the odds are high of getting in trouble.

On the other hand, I might go for it if I have absolutely nothing to lose if I come up way short.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Since I've never had an eagle on a par 5 and I only get a few chances a year at hitting a par 5 in 2, my philosophy is if I have a chance in getting there I'm going for it. For me a really good 5W goes 210-220 with the roll ...IF it goes straight. So I'm in for going for it unless:

1. I'm having a really great round that I don't want to risk screwing up.
2. There's a carry I don't want to risk.

If I can't reach the green than I'm a believer in getting as close as I can safely, so I'll go 3H or 4H depending on the situation. My 5W and safety don't go together.

BTW, my best shot of the month WAS a 220 5W (measured with laser), heavily downhill but into a 20+ mpg wind. Ball never left the flag. Key to bragging about the shot was that it was from a fairway bunker.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:26 pm

GBOGEY wrote:So I'm in for going for it unless:

1. I'm having a really great round that I don't want to risk screwing up.
2. There's a carry I don't want to risk.

I'm so opposite of everyone on this.

My current score is only more likely to make me go for it. Put me 230 to carry water a par gets me a personal best round, I'm likely to go for it instead of lay up.

I want my good rounds to be the best they can possibly be, also to be having a good round I'm obviously swining the club well that day. So why waste it and lay up?

At least that is how I think.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:38 pm

I went for it. Bunkers to the right and water left. My 3 wood came up short by 10-15 yards and my chip took a slope, leaving me a two putt par. But DougE is correct; if a par would give me 79, I lay up. At that point the score was 84, 85, or 86. So it was an easy decision.

No one wants to know about the ninja wall? Oh well, back to the hammock.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:
No one wants to know about the ninja wall? Oh well, back to the hammock.

I do, I do! :banana

(I was just trying to be patient. You said there would be more on the ninja wall later. So I have been patiently waiting for "later.")

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 am

CeeBee wouldn't lay up
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:47 pm

I am going to cheat, as this was not my shot, but one of my playing partners made a hole in one from 165 with a 7 iron. It was not a fluke shot, as it was on line the whole way. And yes, he bought plenty of alcohol to appease the Golf Gods. Sad part is, he was born in 93, I started playing golf in 95, and I still do not have a hole in one. This is the second hole in one that one of my playing partners have made.

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:17 pm

April has been a rather moribund golf month for this writer. I managed one decent scoring round near the end of the month. By going double and then bogey on 16 & 17 I was faced with making par on the 195 yard closing hole to achieve the sought after "79". Hitting into a cold wind of 20 mph, it was pretty clear this was going to be a struggle to card 79, especially with my 3 wood sitting at home in the garage. 7 wood or driver, that was the question. Bunted a driver wide left and had a little 15 yard flop with the ball in the rough, below my feet. Flopped it perfectly on a slight slope and watched the ball trundle down to the hole. A tap in later and my only round in the 70's was secured.

I have been struggling and seem to have lost the desire to play lately. It has been very rainy for 6 weeks and the courses are just like sponges. :breaking
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 pm

My best shot was a second shot on a par 5, blocked out by trees, hitting an intentional 20 yd hook with a 5 iron down the middle of the fairway to a perfect wedge distance left.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 pm

For me, probably a toss up between a downhill left-to-right 40 footer for a birdie on a shortish par 5 after my pitch-chip took off running on the hard green, and the second shot of a long par 4 into the wind, probably 415y or so as the tee was way back on the box. I had 189 left to the flag from the fairway and hit a nice mid-height piercing and drawing 5 wood that stopped inside 10 feet. Made the putt for birdie too! :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

jev

Postby jev » Wed May 10, 2017 11:44 am

Alright, the month isn't even half gone, but still, I don't think I'll top my shot yesterday. Alcaidesa Links, hole 12, 202 meters from the tips against the wind. Going down, I guess 70 meters or so. The green is small, and water lures just before the green. 3-wood landed just a foot or so behind the pin, where it burried itself almost to the top of the ball. Easy birdie.

Last edited by jev on Wed May 10, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”