Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

sjduffers

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 pm

MattF wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 pm
Nicely done @DougE .
I second that. Not only getting back in play but a tough bunker shot followed by a non-trivial putt to save the par. Well done! :thrust :yess
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 pm

Pulled that one out of the fire. Very nice! :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:33 am

June is over and my fading memory makes selecting a shot from yesterday the easy out.

Hole #11 at Radrick Farms (semi-private course for University professors and staff) is an extremely uphill par-3. Light wind in our faces, maybe 7 mph. Middle of the green is 180 yards. Front hole location so maybe 170. Large deep bunkers guard the front. I hit a laser straight hybrid right on the flag. It hit the front of the green and stopped. I almost made the birdie putt from 15 feet. Tap in par was great for me.

Now I had a similar shot on #14 but very downhill (one hits from a high bluff) and probably 20 yards longer. I made the 15 footer for birdie. One might think the tee shot on 14 was better because of the final result. :nope Hitting downhill is so much easier, even taking into consideration a longer shot. When you can't see the landing area, as with an uphill shot, it is hard. Plus it is harder to stop an uphill shot.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:06 pm

In the midst of my current funk the last two Sundays I have hit shots that Mrs. Bogey described as the best two shots she's seen me hit:

Last Sunday sliced my drive into medium rough on the adjacent fairway. Into a two club wind I hit a hybrid 170 yards over a clump of trees right at the flag and directly over a bunker onto the green, about 20 feet short of pin. Almost made the putt but easy par.

Yesterday on a very short par 4 I topped my tee shot (unmentionable words after topping). Ball stopped on a downhill slope about two feet from the hazard in deep grass - if it had gone another foot I wouldn't have a stance. Ball was sitting up a bit and I felt like I had a swing so I hit a 7i 155 over the hazard (probably 140-145 carry) onto the green. Two putt from 40 feet for par.

On these shots I'm committed. On other shots I need to be committed.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:34 pm

Patron silver at a pig roast on fathers day weekend.

Best, worst and only shot of the month.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:07 pm

I am not playing today so July is in the books. Unlike prior months, I played fairly well so there are a number of candidates. I am going to go with my 4th shot on the par 5 16th hole at Leslie Park yesterday (7/30).

My friends and I (8 handicap) play a best ball with a different partner every 6 holes. Points for High and Low scores. No points for ties. $2 a man per match. No strokes - scratch. Jim (6 handicap) and I had won the first 6 hole match and Fritz (4 handicap) and I won the 2nd match. Our 4th player, Marty (8 Handicap), was not having a great day so when he and I teamed up for the final six holes, I told him to stop thinking and just swing. It helped a bit and we took the lead against Fritz and Jim. We had a 1 point lead going into the 16th. On the tee, in an unusual bit of trash talking, I told the other team one of them was going to need to make eagle if they hoped to take the "low" point on the hole. Game on. I played the hole decently and my sand wedge approach put me 12 feet below the hole with an ever so slight right to left bend. Fritz parred and Marty was over the green and struggled to a bogey. We were now tied and awaiting the "low" point decision. Would they take 2 points and take the lead?

Jim was only 5 feet away but he was above the hole. So I got the first chance at birdie. I calmly rolled in my birdie putt - dead center. Jim eased his ball toward the hole but missed. Point for the good guys and a lead going into #17.

After my trash talking on the tee, I was happy I managed to back up my "mouth" with some solid play. I have hit better shots in July but none so timely. :yess

p.s. Unfortunately for team Brian/Marty, Fritz birdied #17 to tie up the match and then made a sand save par on #18 to offset his partner's blunder of hitting a shot against the OB fence. We ended up tied for match #3.
Let's Play 36

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Early in the month but a great sequence today - pulled my drive left on 17. I was safely in the fairway but had a little tree trouble to get to the green. Hit a 9i bullet below the tree (guessing 50 feet) with enough spin to hold the green, pin high for easy two putt par. Then on 18 hit my only bad drive of the day. Got lucky and tree kicked it back into the edge of the fairway, but I was 206 from the flag when I would normally be 40 yards closer. Hit my FW to 3 feet for birdie.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Nice Phil. To three feet with a 3W is always special, even if your name is Greatest PGA TOUR Champion of All-Time Tiger. Though yours is Phil, so it shouldn't surprise anyone. ;)

Speaking of 3Ws, I had a couple great ones myself last week. I made a slight change to my swing after my buddy Bernie pointed out that I was not getting as much depth in my backswing. I realized it might be true, so made a conscious effort to fix it. I did some specific stretches to address the problem then tried it out on the range with surprising results. Then when I went out to play a quick nine (back 9) to try it out on the course I could tell it was working for real.

After hitting my first 3W from the deck (2nd shot on the par 5 13th) with the newly-incorporated move from 290 yards out, dead straight, to 10 yards short of the green, I said out loud, "That might be the best and longest 3W I've ever hit! Thank you, Bernie!" Later on the par 5 18th, I had another 290 out, but uphill. I made the same swing with a 3W and said again, out loud, "No. THAT might be the best and longest 3W I have ever hit! Thank you again, Bernie." Literally two of my best ever. Unfortunately I ended up in the front bunker with that second shot. I don't think I have ever reached that far in the past. Never expected to come within 30 yards of it. The next day, the stretched muscle in my back was so inflamed, I could barely swing the club. Haven't played in 3 days. At least my elbow is getting a rest. I'll be doing some new stretches in the meantime to get that back muscle more ready for the new added depth in my swing.

FWIW, I also was longer with all my clubs with that swing. Got me in trouble more than once, but was so happy with the extra distance, I didn't care. If I can nail this new move down enough, so that I'm comfortable with it, watch out.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Posting a best shot twice in a month.

So last week I had the thrill of hitting a monster 5W on the par 5 #1 and came within 5 feet of the green. That shot had the benefit of some good roll to get that close. Today I thought I was 10-20 yards further from the green after my drive. The group on the green was taking their time, but they weren't on the front of the green and I zapped them at 236 yards so I hit away expecting that my very best shot, which would be last week's shot, would be 5-10 yards short of the green.

To say I hit it flush is a total understatement. Ball FLEW to the green and rolled to 12 feet from the hole, right among the group ahead. I rushed to the 2nd tee to apologize to them. The good news is that they were laughing and enjoying my shot. One of the guys said, "I could tell you were wanting to hit and I thought he should to ahead, I don't think he can reach the green from there." I assured them that I didn't think I could reach from there either. Bad news I missed the eagle putt but had an easy tap in bird.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:23 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:43 pm
...Bad news I missed the eagle putt but had an easy tap in bird.
Please, give me bad news like that! :thumbs
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:46 am

I doubt I will play tomorrow and I am working today. The month is over golfwise.

I just finished our three day Tournament near Torch Lake , MI. I played just okay. On the first day, I found myself in a fairway bunker 100 very uphill yards to the green. Hit a very solid wedge to 10 feet and made the putt for birdie.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:58 am

I turned JJ into a bluff and got KK to fold on a 8s7d4d9c2d board.

It's the best shot I took all month.
Keep it short stupid.