Re: The Style Thread

Postby MattF » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:03 am

Why don't you wear long pants and pantyhose?? :P
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 am

Yesterday I wore a light purple polo shirt with popped collar and navy blue hipster "Bonobos" brand golf pants. Jesus Christ I must have looked like an asshole. It was early in the morning when I got dressed, and I didn't fully consider what I was wearing. On the first tee I could feel the attention my loud gay colors were attracting. It bothered me for a second, but then I remembered, that I hate everyone.
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 am

You were probably looking okay...............until you popped the collar.

Even though the popped collar is making a comeback from the 1980s, it's still gay to me. :gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon May 29, 2017 10:56 am

I think this is a great thread. Love to talk style. What is yours?

I'm a traditionalist. I like classic FJ model shoes, understated patterns on my shirts, (non-fitted/non-athletic cut) which are always tucked in. I wear a white belt most days, as gay as that sounds. I have other colors too. I wear golf shorts when it's warm, but I prefer pants specifically designed for golf, by Footjoy, Ashworth, Cutter Buck, Nike or similar. Traditional cut, not athletic fit. I have a few Adidas pairs as well. Regular cut. My hats are all Titleist, duh, but frankly, I carry them with me in the cart or on my bag most days, but don't always wear them while playing. Makes me sweat more.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. Golf was more refined back then. Coming from a lower middle-class home (my dad was a truck driver, my mom a housewife), the style of golf always felt kind of upscale to me. I caddied at a high-end country club in Fairfield County, at the time, the richest county in the country. The rich all seemed so classy to me. Most came from old money. I loved the clean, neat style of everyone I saw at the country club. It impressed me as a 12-13 year old kid. When I was finally able to play golf myself as a teenager at a city-owned course, I took what I knew about the way golfers dressed at the country club, as the way it should be on any course. That has never left me.

Golf has always been a classy sport, as well as everything that surrounds it. It was one of the things that drew me to it in the first place. It pains me to see people on the course in jeans or basketball shorts, tee shirts, or just generally disheveled-looking. Or loud-mouthed, excessive beer-drinkers who have no consideration for others or the game. It's like fingers on a blackboard to me. It ruins the image I have of a classier time, where people respected other people more so than they do today, but more importantly, they respected the game and the tradition it has maintained for hundreds of years. I love to look back at the way the game was played and viewed back in the mid 1900s. That is what attracted me to it in the first place.

Even throughout my extremely dedicated time in yachting, golf was always something I loved to watch and wanted to spend more time playing. After 35 years of sailing competitively and cruising offshore, over 100,000 miles, all over from Maine to the Caribbean, spending much time in hoity-toidy yacht clubs everywhere I voyaged, I still believe golf is the activity that sits atop the list of sports with the most class surrounding it throughout history. I hate to see it turn into just another everyday activity with no regard for the tradition it holds. I'm not saying the equipment and gear should never be technically advanced, or that the clothing should look like it is out of the 1940s. The newer, tighter-fitting golf wear doesn't bother me either, as long as I don't have to wear it. It looks great on those who can pull it off. I would just like to see people respect the tradition of the game more in general, and dress somewhat neatly. Augusta rather than Bushwood CC.

But, that's just me. I understand that others don't feel that way.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:07 pm

I just started wearing ankle socks maybe 6-7 years ago. Prior to then, I wore white athletic socks. At the end of the golf season, if I walked around barefoot, it looked like I had white boots on.

Shoes tend to be close to traditional (i.e. FootJoy Contours). Either black or some sort of saddle.

Don't own a white belt and wouldn't wear one if given to me.

Shorts are fine when 70 degrees or higher. Slacks colored "stone", khaki, gray or some other neutral color. Back in the 1990's I had some hunter green golf slacks. Yes, I was a wild man.

Shirts are traditional "polo" style with neutral solids or minimal patterns. Turtlenecks when chilly, with a sweater and/or windshirt depending on how chilly.

Head gear tends to be a sock hat when cold or a baseball style cap the rest of the year - usually one of the ones the USGA gives away with a "membership". Right now it is the black one from Pinehurst. Yes, I wear the same hat a loooong time. Tend to steer away from the orange and red ones from some of the US Open venues.

It is obvious I am not particularly fashionable. I have never been a member at a private or semi-private club. Muni's and public courses for me. I can dress the part when necessary but tend to be a bit shabby and untidy many times. One would have to be dressed fairly outside the main stream to get my attention (e.g. plus fours and a Hogan cap or skinny pants and a little fedora) unless an athletic female with a great golf swing. Like an aphrodisiac to me.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon May 29, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm pretty conventional (i.e. - boring) myself.

Black FJ Dryjoys Casual
Long pants - neutral/earth tones
Black/brown belt.
Black/grey/blue - dryfit polo
No hat or visor

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon May 29, 2017 11:54 pm

DougE wrote:I think this is a great thread. Love to talk style. What is yours? ...

But, that's just me. I understand that others don't feel that way.

That was a great post man. I learned a lot about the Dougmeister, and where the man is coming from.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue May 30, 2017 12:19 am

My favorite style is deep winter style. Fleece pants under rain pants, UA turtleneck under a down insulated vest under a UA windbreaker. Fleece hat on top. Everything black. It's like how much more black can one dress for golf... none more black. Except for white FJ's. Damn I miss winter!

I got my first pair of dedicated golf pants late last year. They are slim fits :facepalm by Bonobos, which is like white collar men's apparel (golf and regular life) for the new millennium. It's just one pair o pants but I guess it has revitalized my golf style. I wear them outside of the course too :facepalm. I will admit they do make me feel like a more serious player.

I usually wear pique J. Crew polos. I want to like Uniqlo shirts but I am so caught between their medium and large size it's not even funny. Mediums don't fully cover my midsection and the large looks like baggy shit. I'm not crazy about it but I guess I prefer the pique cotton material. Don't like microfiber polos, they feel kind of gross and also look cheapy, and too modern in a bad way.

I tucked in my shirt only a handful of times in my life, when I was forced to by whatever fancy course I was playing at. Even though I have a flat stomach I hate the tucked in look. When I tuck I just don't like who I see in the mirror. Besides that I have a long torso or something, shirts don't stay tucked. As you might have read in other threads I'm anti-polo as it is. So asking me to tuck is getting into dangerous territory. Golf is a sport based around a twisting body motion, and yet you want everyone to have their shirt tucked in their waist at all times. GTFO.
everyone is gay

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Tue May 30, 2017 9:42 am

I don't know, the purple polo and bonobos pants sound kind of awesome (minus the popped collar).

I guess i'm sort of between traditional and modern. I lean toward athletically cut shirts, with relatively bright colors, but mostly solids or maybe an understated pattern. The shirt is always tucked in. More often than not i wear a white belt (numerous buckles) or a gray belt depending on what matches best. And, always a hat usually gray or white, and never adjustable. I probably own a dozen or more and they're all fitted; i can't stand adjustable hats.

That being said, i think Under Armour (as overpriced as it is) has done a great job combining modern with traditional. They have bright colors, but you still look like an adult.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:57 pm

The PGA Championship now allows players to wear shorts for practice on Monday-Wednesday.

I am not sure if I give a crap about that, but I can say that for myself, I now hate wearing shorts. I hate the sight of any grown man wearing shorts. Not sure why, or when this happened but it did. Shorts on a man just looks femme, or juvenile at best. Unless it's like, camoflauge cargo shorts but evidently I am not allowed to wear those anymore, pffft. Not easy being the beefster.
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 pm

I prefer to play in long pants, however, in the heat and humidity of Summer, I feel like wearing pants rather than shorts is sort of biting off my nose to spite my face. I own about 15-20 pairs of golf pants and 25-30 pairs of golf-specific shorts. I feel more like a player when wearing pants. Not sure why. I assume growing up watching golf played in long pants on TV has programmed me to think golf should be played in long pants.

In the spring, I will wear long pants well into May as long as temps aren't in the mid-80s or higher. Once I give in and start wearing shorts, I pretty much wear them until the temps get back into the 60s and low 70s for the daytime highs. As soon as I have a good excuse to wear long pants, I'm in them. Which, btw, is different than when I was a die hard sailor. I wore shorts as early in Spring and as late into Fall as feasibly possible.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:54 pm

Wow Doug I think you have more pants and or shorts than I have of all lower body attire combined.

Lets see.
4 Jeans
2 slacks/dress pants
6 khaki type (not all khaki color) golf pants I can wear to work
7 or 8 shorts
2 bathing suits

So 21-22 total shorts/pants/bathing suits.

Now I see why my wife gets most of the closet/dresser.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:19 pm

I guess I shouldn't talk about the 50-60 golf shirts hanging in my closet. (Yes, hanging...on hangers.) Hey, I play a lot of golf. :-P

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 pm

I thought I was bad rotating 12 pairs of golf shorts with paired up golf shirts. With 4 back up shorts and shirts, and three shorts and shirts hanging in my locker at the course.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Jesus Christ, Doug.

MattF

Postby MattF » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:26 am

I have 5 pairs of golf shorts, 5 pairs of normal shorts and 5 or so pairs of shorts for wearing around the house whilst doing chores. 20 or so golf specific shirts (all on hangers, a la Doug) and I can't even tell you how many t-shirts. 5 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of long golf pants, 1 suit, one pair of trousers, 12 or so ordinary polo's and 30 or so button down shirts long and short sleeve.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 am

I could tell you all true stories of my clothes addiction over the years, but then you'd think I was nuttier than you already do. (Like the 5 drawer chest of drawers I had, filled completely with socks, separated in drawers by color and style, with each pair rolled perfectly.)

I once had a large walk-in closet custom built in my brand new townhouse. This was back in the early 90s. A day after I moved in and hung all my stuff in the closet, I had to call the builder when I came home from work and found all the clothes on the floor of the closet and the hardware all ripped out of the walls. Some people do drugs. I did clothes.

I have it a lot more under control theses days. 25 years ago, I would have had 100 golf shirts if I played golf as much as I do now. But I still like to buy clothes for golf. I have never been accused of being less than well-dressed and have been asked numerous times by different people around my club whether I ever wear the same outfit twice. Funny thing is, with all the golf clothing I have, there are certain outfits I wear, IMO, way too often---like more than once or twice a month. You think it's easy tracking my shirt usage so I don't get seen too frequently in the same shirt by the same guys? I need a spreadsheet to keep up!

Did I mention I have about 10 pair of Footjoys I rotate through, depending on outfit? :facepalm

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 am

Wow, I have 1 weeks with of clothes then I do laundry.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm almost as bad as Doug. I'd be worse if I didn't have limits on my spending.

When it's 115 degrees outside, long pants just don't cut it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:15 pm

I am not going to contribute to this for fear of being shunned as a "small wardrobe owner." Right now I am wearing some shorts I bought at K-Mart at least a decade ago.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:23 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:I am not going to contribute to this for fear of being shunned as a "small wardrobe owner." Right now I am wearing some shorts I bought at K-Mart at least a decade ago.

Please tell me they don't have pleats.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:13 pm

You people are compelling me to take a look in the mirror. I have about three pair of shorts that don't make me angry. I have many polos but can only stand two of them.
everyone is gay

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:27 am

DougE wrote:Please tell me they don't have pleats.

Oh god, the Kuchar pleats. Please don't.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Regarding my above post, I just counted my golf shirts. 55 hanging, 3 still in wrapper on shelf, and 5 in laundry. (I also have 14 others which are mostly cotton pique style which I rarely wear while playing, but I use for everyday general use and practice sessions.) Just so no one thinks I am exaggerating:
Attachments
Golf Shirts.jpg
Golf Shirts.jpg (126.83 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Taste the rainbow.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”