Ugly ass water tower mural

jfurr

Ugly ass water tower mural

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:35 am

This is typical of the stupid shit that happens around here.

My local driving range is located on top of a former landfill. There is a large water tower on premise. It has a decent looking plain white paint job. Next to the range is an awesome million dollar practice facility for the USC golf teams to use. It has multiple greens and bunkers, etc. And now, the locals have decided they want to paint this giant ugly ass mural on the water tower to show allegiance to, of all things, the USC football program with a huge photo of freaking Steve Spurrier playing golf, and also a picture of Hootie and the Blowfish singer Darius Rucker golfing!

Now I'm not bashing college football I guess. And I know the Hootie guys and they really are cool dudes. But this football/ gamecock/ and Hootie obsession around here is ridiculous!

Not to mention, Darius and two other of the band guys moved to Charleston years ago! And Darius named one of his albums after his hometown of Charleston.

Columbia needs to get over it.

I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Re: Ugly ass water tower mural

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:49 am

This town is totally obsessed with Gamecocks. The school is sprawling and taking over the city as well. Giant sporting facilities, huge crowds.

And the football team SUCKS.

I guess the baseball team is good though.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:50 am

All the golf team guys that I've ever seen out there are always snobby douchebags who think they are pros.

I met one female player a few years ago who was nice and friendly but that's rare.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Don't recognize a lot of the words in these posts, but appreciate the passion! I was well aware that southern people are a little too into college sports, but I had no idea about the Hootie worship. Thanks for the expose. These are things the world needs to know about.
no more polo shirts

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:26 pm

I should mention in case it isn't clear; the photo above is the old range pro shop building with the water tower in the background (old paint, it has a new grey/white perfectly good paint job now). Floating in the foreground is a superimposed (artists rendering) of what the stupid mural will look like. Except it'll be Darius Rucker on one side and Spurrier on the other.

It's going to be so tacky.

A few years back the city renamed one short block of one of the streets in "5 Points" (college bar district - former 90's music scene hotbed, now a good place to get jumped by gang thugs) in honor of the band. A big musical staff thing statue also for them.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Don't recognize a lot of the words in these posts
Is it because of the numerous autocorrect typos from my trying to post on my phone and also being half blind now without my reader glasses?

I feel like I spend hours everyday fighting with autocorrect.

I'll try to edit....

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 pm

On the top will be a painted golf ball with Gamecocks logo, so you can see it on google earth in a few years when new imagery is online. :/

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:16 pm

jfurr wrote:
Is it because of the numerous autocorrect typos from my trying to post on my phone and also being half blind now without my reader glasses?

Just messin around. Steve Spurrier, gamecocks, USC... where I'm from USC refers to something else.

Not for nothing don't be paranoid about your eyesight. Nothing wrong with your ability to communicate, not yet at least.

I'm starting to realize how many people use autocorrect. To me it is dehumanizing. I draw a line there. No autocorrect for me not even on the phone.
no more polo shirts

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:32 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
jfurr wrote:

Just messin around. Steve Spurrier, gamecocks, USC... where I'm from USC refers to something else.

Not for nothing don't be paranoid about your eyesight. Nothing wrong with your ability to communicate, not yet at least.

I'm starting to realize how many people use autocorrect. To me it is dehumanizing. I draw a line there. No autocorrect for me not even on the phone.
Not to mention Spurrier quit his head coach job mid season last year as the team had their worst season in something like 40 years. But the fanaticism around here is crazy. I have neighbors with team flags, garnet/black vehicles, decals, and wear I swear to god garnet gamecock clothes/sweatshirts/ etc every damn day. Even the three little dogs they walk are in team sweaters.

One side benefit- I get too see lots of people wearing shirts and hats that says, just "COCKS" or "How 'bout them COCKS" etc which is funny.

If anyone wants a hat or shirt let me know....

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:35 pm

This is your call to local politics, John Furr! You could've avoided this travesty had you simply involved yourself in the civic processes of Cayce, SC.

A new kind of city needs a new kind of mayor!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:45 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:This is your call to local politics, John Furr! You could've avoided this travesty had you simply involved yourself in the civic processes of Cayce, SC.

A new kind of city needs a new kind of mayor!
Forget that...

Oh, if you tune in to MSNBC or other TV apparently the national reporters are here doing election coverage and I'm sure there will be plenty wince inducing interviews with my fellow populous....

Let me ask this question. Would you want your face on a water tower mural?? In Cayce SC?? smh

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:46 pm

If you ever fly into Columbia airport. Depending which runway you land on, you'll come right over this range and you'll get to see the tower in all its glory.

And Charwood, actually...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:13 pm

jfurr wrote:One side benefit- I get too see lots of people wearing shirts and hats that says, just "COCKS" or "How 'bout them COCKS" etc which is funny.

If anyone wants a hat or shirt let me know....
Aren't you close to Furman University? The one where the baseball hats use their initials, FU?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Ha,i love all this USC bashing (as i am of course wearing my own orange and white sweats.)! But part of my love for the south now is the college sports enthusiasm. There's nothing like the feeling of a college town on a fall Saturday. The weather is usually perfect for a round of golf, then some cheap beers and a football game with 80,000 of your closest friends. So fun.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:51 am

jattruia wrote:Ha,i love all this USC bashing (as i am of course wearing my own orange and white sweats.)! But part of my love for the south now is the college sports enthusiasm. There's nothing like the feeling of a college town on a fall Saturday. The weather is usually perfect for a round of golf, then some cheap beers and a football game with 80,000 of your closest friends. So fun.
The ground hog has emerged from his den. Welcome back J. :thumbup:
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:29 am

Haha, i'm back! Work been so busy that my daily golf website routine has been interrupted. Stupid work.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:10 am

So apparently the water tower mural is finished. I'll have to go hit a bucket and take a picture.

What's REALLY funny now, is that Spurrier, after quitting as head coach of the Cocks mid season in 2015, now says he's a Clemson fan!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:50 am

Ok, update:

It appears that the Spurrier and Rucker portraits have quietly vanished from the mural design. Hmmmn.

The remaining design looks pretty cool I guess.

Also interesting is that the mural was hand painted from a projected stencil, not digitally printed computer graphics as I had read previously was the plan.

I'm good with it now...

http://www.palmettoweekend.com/south-ca ... ght-cayce/

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:02 am

Well, that is kind of cool. I guess. I know a lot of people who aren't Gamecocks fans would really like it.

That said, I think "Gamecocks" is about the dumbest name for a sports team in the history of sports teams.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 am

bryan k wrote:That said, I think "Gamecocks" is about the dumbest name for a sports team in the history of sports teams.
Anteaters (Cal-Irvine) and Banana Slugs (Cal-Santa Cruz) seem to be in the lead for me. Of course our local minor league baseball team is also called the Biscuits.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:21 pm

srogers13 wrote:
bryan k wrote:That said, I think "Gamecocks" is about the dumbest name for a sports team in the history of sports teams.
Anteaters (Cal-Irvine) and Banana Slugs (Cal-Santa Cruz) seem to be in the lead for me. Of course our local minor league baseball team is also called the Biscuits.
Dude..."Gamecocks" is far worse than any of those. The only one that is comparable was from a high school team we used to play back when I was a kid. There is a city in Wahpeton, ND. They didn't change their name to the Wahpeton Huskies until my senior year in 1993. Prior to that? Yup. They were known as the Wahpeton Wops.

Here's a pretty cool article:

http://www.11points.com/Sports/11_Mind_ ... ol_Mascots

Some cool stories about North Dakota mascot changes. I'm sure most of you have heard about or read about the controversy to the University of North Dakota's "Fighting Sioux" mascot that was officially changed to "Fighting Hawks" just last year. North Dakota is no stranger to nickname controversy.

The UND story is very ironic (in a coincidental way) because Dickinson State University used to be known as the Dickinson Savages, and their presentation of that mascot was very offensive. In the 1970s, local Native American groups forced them to change their name as well. Want to take a guess as to what they changed it to? Yup. The Dickinson Hawks. In some collegiate events, the UND Hawks will occasionally square up against the Dickinson Hawks.

Dickinson is also no stranger to nickname controversy. I also played against a team known as the Dickinson Midgets. They still call themselves the Midgets.

The best story of all, though, revolves around the Devils Lake team which was called the Satans when I played against them. Controversy erupted throughout the 1990s and early 2000s due to the nickname. Parents in Devils Lake refused to send their kids to school, or they would refuse to allow their kids to play on any of the sports teams. I believe the final blow was delivered when the Catholic schools in the state banded together and refused to play the Devils Lake team in any sporting events.

The school held a contest to submit names along with artwork for a new school mascot and logo. Three winners were chosen as nominees for the student body to vote on. One of the nominees was dropped from the ballot because it was an obvious drug reference. The nominee that was dropped was called The Blaze, and the logo was quite obviously a cannabis leaf. Guess what won the vote, unanimously, as a write in candidate? The whole freaking student body, in an act of protest, elected to have The Blaze instated as the school mascot. They were overruled, and Devils Lake is now known as The Firebirds.

Coda1850

Post by Coda1850 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:48 am

Salukis always struck my as a shit one. Screams: we're not cool like bulldogs - we're more like salukis.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Yeah, i think there are far worse team names than gamecocks, no matter how much i hate SC. Minor leagues aside (they go out of their way to come up with ridiculous team names), at least the gamecocks are original. I'd rather have a team name like that than the hawks, huskies, bulldogs, etc. that have been used for dozens of teams.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:34 am

Or the Prescott Sundogs.

People in Arizona don't even know what a sundog is.

If you've ever experienced a sunny day when it's 20 below, you know what a sundog is.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 pm

Forgot to follow up. The mural thing happened, but it's not as the first described. Was originally supposed to be a computer - printed thing with Steve Spurrier on one side and Darius Rucker on the other. But in the end was hand painted with a silhouette and the typical palm tree and moon state flag emblem. Oh and a Gamecock logo :facepalm