Golf Ball Distance Rollback

bkuehn1952.2

Golf Ball Distance Rollback

Post by bkuehn1952.2 »

"...Now, the new roll back will likely come with a period of variance in play with elite professionals using a shorter golf ball than those playing recreationally. Within two years all golf balls conforming to the Rules of Golf will reportedly be at least 15 yards shorter at the elite level.

The effect on recreational players may ultimately be less than elite players, but it will still be proportional, meaning that the two groups may not see the same distance lost, but could see the same percentage of yardage lost."

I am sorry that the pros hit the ball too far and stuffy old private courses can't handle the elite player anymore. Giving me, however, a ball that does not go as far is just plain idiotic. I am already participating in the golf ball distance rollback. It is called "old age." I have already lost enough distance, USGA/R&A. This old fart does not need a "dead" ball.

Okay, maybe at my swing speed it will "only" be 5 yards or less. Still, I am already scraping for every yard I can.

And what are we going to do with all our golf balls? Come 2025 or whenever, do I toss them in the trash??

balls.JPG
balls.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 11055 times
CeeBee

Re: Golf Ball Distance Rollback

Post by CeeBee »

Relax my friend. I don’t think it applies to us.
DougE

Post by DougE »

CeeBee wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:11 am Relax my friend. I don’t think it applies to us.
No, Chris, that's exactly what it means. In five years (which will be two years after the pros and elite amateurs are required to use the rolled-back design), all players who compete in any USGA or RNA sanctioned event will also be required to use a rolled-back model. For the average recreational player, that translates to about 11 yards less, average, off a driver. By that time, at our age, that will really suck. (If memory serves, we are about the same age I think.)

Guess in the meantime I should start spending more time practicing my putting. I'll probably need to one-putt half the holes to make up for the loss of 150 or 200 yards distance per round. My present 50% average GIR stat will probably drop to around 30% once the roll back begins. That does not bode well for scoring.

I'm with BK. This does not sit well with me either.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Yeah Doug, I’ve read a couple of stories and you seem to be right. But I don’t play in any sanctioned events. I assume the real reason we have to conform is availability to purchase “conforming” balls by 2028? By then I’ll be on the most forward tees anyway.