The Anchoring Ban- Redone

joe jones

The Anchoring Ban- Redone

Post by joe jones » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:55 pm

As some of you may know I have been using a long putter and putting side saddle since 1970. That said I have never anchored any part of my, hands arms, belly, sternum or chin with this style so the ban didn't bother me in any way except it pissed me off. It is fascinating to me to what extent today,s players have done to change. If they did use a broomstick or belly putter previously why did they change in the first place. . Some have adopted Matt Kucher's grip your arm style which requires a putter that has as much as 6* of loft. Many others have gone back to using a regular length putter and are putting conventionally as they had before. Adam Scott has had great success doing this which makes me wonder why did he go to the long putter in the first place. In my case I had the worst case of the yip's known to mankind. I was just about ready to blow my brains out.It not only saved my golfing life but stopped my wife from divorcing me because I was a miserable SOB to live with at he time. Bernhard Langer, who has had the yip's three times is still using the long putter but has moved his top hand away from his body by about one inch. Problem solved. He just won on the Senior Tour the first time out so it must work. He does admit he is still trying several other styles and several different putters. That must be a pain when you are packing your bag to travel even if you are a pro.The thing that bothers me about all of this Hoo Ha is the feeling that it was all totally unnecessary in the first place. For those traditionalists amongst you I grant you the right to disagree with me. Please consider this however. Long putters And Anchoring had been accepted for between Fifty to Sixty years, Until several majors were won by players anchoring NO ONE CARED. Then the tight asses of the Royal and Ancient and the USGA realized that new players were adopting the style by increasing numbers they decided that it was quote "Not a legitimate stroke and was ungainly and unseemly" Fine. That was all they needed. They knew that they couldn't ban the putter because of it's length because the existing rules of golf don't allow that. They tuned to a Candy Ass rule that they could enforce to try to get the same result.Guess what folks. Golfers may not be smart but they are tricky. They are finding ways to get around the rule anyway.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: The Anchoring Ban- Redone

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:02 pm

I used a belly putter for a year. What I found was my short putting got better, but I lost feeling in my hands due to sticking the butt into my stomach. So my lag putting turned to shit. So instead of lagging it to 3' I was lagging it to 5'. There is no way the increase in my short putting was going to overcome that 2' distance. So I switched back to a conventional putter.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:16 pm

I was also similarly put off by the anchoring ban because the rationale was stupid. They didn't like the way it looked.

That being said, I've read articles citing studies that show that any change in the putting stroke or with putting equipment almost always effects an immediate but often temporary improvement, because the golfer is otherwise distracted from the 'result' of the putt by either the new method or equipment.

We'll see how it works out for Scott, Langer et al. long term.
Bluto did it

joe jones

Post by joe jones » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 am

Fish and Duke- Your points are well taken. I must admit that I have had no experience with using a belly putter. As too the long putts, the common theory that it is good for short putts but not as good for long putts.Most of the people I play with concur with you. Now am so secure with the stroke that I use it from around the green as much as I can. My playing partners get annoyed when I putt from off the green from 40 or 50 feet and get it very close. Obviously it works only when the green surrounds are cut short and I have a clear run at the hole. It works for me but took a lot of practice to get there. This is a true feeling of "different strokes for different folks". By the way . I never preach that my way is the best. If someone asks me to show them how to use side saddle I will gladly take the time. They usually spend a few minutes and just say thank you but no thanks. If they ever change later is not important

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:34 pm

I see Rory McIllroy is wanting to bring back the long putter to stop Adam Scott from playing so well.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:00 pm

I still believe that guys who were good putters before will be good putters after (i.e. Bradley and Simpson) and guys that were bad putters will still be bad (i.e. Stadler) and that mediocre will be interesting (Scott was actually in the middle of PGA Tour stats). So far I've been very wrong - Simpson and Bradley are not doing well, Scott is.

Also, one of the announcers had an interesting point last week when he questioned when Adam Scott's putting issues had more to do with green reading skills than technique. Makes one wonder if poor green reading leads to missed putts leads to lack of confidence and poor putting. I know that I am the best putter in my Saturday morning group and I am also the best green reader - maybe there's an even stronger connection than we think.

legitimategolf
Site Admin

Post by legitimategolf » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Topic locked down and moved to main forum! Other Forum is for other-than-golf threads.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=418
Teen 'cap wasteland. It's only teen 'cap wasteland.

joe jones

Post by joe jones » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Sorry Beef. I am still trying to figure out how to use your excellent site properly. Bear with me. I'll figure i out as soon as I can. Joe

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:26 pm

joe jones wrote:Sorry Beef. I am still trying to figure out how to use your excellent site properly. Bear with me. I'll figure i out as soon as I can. Joe
Say no more! It's just a messageboard. You can't really screw anything up that badly. Just post away. If there is a problem, Bkuehn will clean it up. :thumbup:
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:48 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Say no more! It's just a messageboard. You can't really screw anything up that badly. Just post away. If there is a problem, Bkuehn will clean it up. :thumbup:
Why do I feel like someone just handed me a dust pan and broom? :x
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:26 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:
Why do I feel like someone just handed me a dust pan and broom? :x
Probably more like a gas mask, plunger, mop and bucket. :shock:
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.