Bawlz

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Bawlz

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 am

DougE wrote:the scale I use for weighing small mixtures of epoxy
:quotez epoxy :quotez
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:17 am

Sorry Beef. I really am that boring. It was my actual epoxy scale, used for no other purpose ever than weighing epoxy (and now golf balls). :bored

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks DougE for reporting on your experience. I was told some time ago (can't remember who/when/where/why) that ballz start to lose their characteristics after as little as 2 weeks in water. Glad to see that's not the case.

FWIW, I buy my mint used balls from drmulligans.com and I can never tell them apart from new ones, except for the odd logo or player mark.
I'm gonna go low this time...

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:36 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Doug that was a truly awesome consumer report. This thread and this whole goddamn board is better for it.
Agreed

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:25 pm

sjduffers wrote: I was told some time ago (can't remember who/when/where/why) that ballz start to lose their characteristics after as little as 2 weeks in water. Glad to see that's not the case.
I am no chemist, but I did work on fiberglass (plastic) boats for many years. Though the gel coat on these boats seems 100% impervious to water, over time, moisture can work its way into the hull if left in water for long lengths of time. In fact most boats that sit in marinas all season (and not on a trailer) will absorb some moisture into the hull over a season. But, over the off season some of that moisture dries out. The older the boat, the more porous the gel coat can get. New boats (like new ballz), absorb very little water. Applying an epoxy barrier coating is a common practice over the last 25 years, which will further protect the hull from moisture intrusion. Normal gel coat may seem perfectly smooth with no porosity at all. However, it is far more porous than any urethane type plastic, even with an epoxy barrier coat and paint. All Tour-level balls have a urethane coating layer.

I am very confident that any new ball with a urethane layer which has not been compromised in any way, like say, for instance hitting a cart path, will not absorb moisture for many months. On the other hand, balls without a urethane cover may absorb water at a faster rate, depending on what the chemical properties of their covers may be.

As I said in my earlier post, if you buy used balls, stick to those which are the most recent model and considered Mint or near-Mint grade. I really doubt you will see any difference in the distance or spin characteristics compared to that of a new ball of the same model, right out of the sleeve, even if it has been in the water for a few weeks or months (which, of course, you would not know for certain). And in reality, any loss of distance from a ball that may have absorbed a 10th of a gram of moisture, will be so insignificant, that you would not be able to tell unless you were an iron byron, making every swing exactly the same and hitting the sweet spot perfectly every time. And even if you could be that consistent, the difference between a ball that is 45.7 grams and one that is 45.8 grams would likely be less than a few inches difference, if all things were exactly equal otherwise.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:18 pm
I'm stuck on the mg c4s. I can't find a better ball for the price.
Jason, you'll appreciate this, being an MG-C4 enthusiast.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I got a box from my sister-in-law for Xmas. Long story, wont go into WHY she thought I would want them. In any case, I was at my locker in the clubhouse putting my street shoes back on after a round. The locker door was open when my regular golf buddy came over. He saw that MG-C4 box in there along with 6 or 7 boxes of Titleists. He knows I play either AVX or Pro V1 virtually every round. So he asked me about the box of MGs. I explained a bit about them and their ridiculously low cost. I gave him one to try.

Next time I saw him, he told me he "loves that MG ball." He had been playing Bridgestone E6s, TM Project 'a' balls and some Titleist TruSofts over the winter. We then played together yesterday and he used the MG all day (until he lost it late in the round :breaking ). He gushed about how much he loves that ball at least 10Xs yesterday. I offered to give him more, but he said he already went on-line and ordered some. He noticed extra spin on his chips (due to the urethane cover), and really loved the distance and soft feel off his driver. He's sold...for now. We'll see how long that lasts. (He changes balls whenever he has a bad round.) Frankly, I think it is an excellent ball for him. Certainly better than the others he regularly plays, which are all more expensive than the MGs.