Bawlz

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Bawlz

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Doug I'm just pulling your leg, it's nothing personal. I need to remember sarcasm doesn't type well.

Now as it pertains to balls, to me it's not just a matter of "does it perform better." There is a cost/benefit to weight for me. To be fair this is something everyone weighs, as I doubt you'd pay $1,000 for a dozen balls that gain you 10 yards on the AVX. Now Trump might be willing to spend that much (specially if they had his name on them). But at some price point even he'd not get them for an extra 10 yards. For me, I'm not interested in spending an extra $100-$200 a year in balls to pick up 5-10 yards. Although I'm interested in them enough to buy a sleeve and see what they do, Titleist has you to thank for that by the way.

As for the launch monitor, it goes along with any other "large" purchases in the last 3-5 years I've made. I'm buying time more than I'm buying a gadget. Being able to hit balls for 30 min at home and then spend time with my family is worth way more than a $2k launch monitor to me, when the alternative is going to the driving range for 1.5 hours. Golf balls don't fit into this category of "time saver", so for me personally they have to pass the cost/benefit test. I highly doubt these balls will be so superior to the MG C4 that I'll be wanting to spend the extra money on them. But you've made me interested enough to at least test them out.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue May 22, 2018 6:09 pm

JFish, you likely won't see as much benefit as those of us with a swing speed under 95 mph do. (But, don't worry. You'll get your SS down that low eventually. Like it or not. :P )

To really see a difference, turn the wind setting way up on your launch monitor and then compare the AVX to an MG or Pro V. (I'm actually not joking. I think SkyTrak has some sort of virtual wind setting capability, which in itself is pretty impressive.) But, if you try it and the results are not much different between the two balls, then I would highly encourage you to try them side by side in real wind, in the real world, outside. 10-12 MPH of wind in your face would probably be enough to show you that there is something very special about the AVX.

And, to your point about paying a thousand dollars for a ball to gain a few yards, of course that's ludicrous. I wouldn't pay 60 dollars (at this moment in Tour-level ball retail pricing time). However, with the short game I have, of which I am quite proud, I CAN certainly benefit from a urethane covered, Tour level ball, and until the AVX, I found that the Pro V worked best for me. Even if I found that a ChromeSoft or TP5 or B330RX was best for my game, they are all 40-something bucks a dozen too. Yes, the MG is $20 and an excellent ball. And, from what I've read, so is a Vice or Snell or Kirkland or many other Tour level, direct-to-consumer balls. I tried the MG and liked it, but went back to the Pro V. Not because I wanted to spend the extra money, but because I was most comfortable with it for my game. I liked the way the ProV performed for me, particularly around the greens. I could buy one-hit-wonder mint ProVs for the nearly the same price as MGs. I chose to buy new ones for those rounds that matter. So I am already spending what the market price is for a Tour Level ball by a big name brand. Spending a couple bucks more for the Pro V with which I have developed my game, or now the new AVX, which has given me even greater benefits over the the last 6 months, is not a big deal. If the MG is the best for you, whether it be due to performance or price or both, then that's a great win for you. My buddy Bernie is in love with the MG. As I said, I got him hooked on them. I did not even attempt to get him playing AVX. (In fact, I would be happy if no one I play with ever plays an AVX. Better for me.)

And to your other point about not wanting to spend $100-$200 extra per year on balls to pick up an extra 5-10 yards, it may not be worth it to you, but with an AVX, that's often one less club into the green for me. Hell, I just spent $900 on a set of new wedges, a new 4i and new hybrid in an effort to shave a stroke or two here and there. That 5-10 yards extra distance in the AVX is far more likely to make a much bigger difference in my ability to score over the long haul. One or two more greens in regulation due to hitting a shorter club in IS a big deal to me.

FInally Jason, you do not need to try to justify your reasoning for purchasing the SkyTrak to me, or anyone else. Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter. You get something out of it. That's really all that matters. I would likely get something out of it myself if I had one. I don't think you are dumb for buying it. And you will likely see benefits for your game as a result of the launch monitor. Just like I do playing a ball that feels right for me or playing clubs that feel right when I stand over them at address, whether it be the looks or the fact I was fit for them. Whatever helps your confidence when you stand over the ball. That's the key for me.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Needed balls the other day so when I ordered (with all the golf retail closings I now usually use Amazon Prime for golf balls) I went for the AVX. Decided to use them today and for the most part I was pretty pleased. Certainly has good stopping action on the greens, but the course was also wet so that might have been helping as well. Distance was certainly as good as my typical Bridgestones. Not sure what they mean by penetrating ball flight but I did hit one 7i into a breeze that it seemed the wind didn't matter.

Not saying I'm ready to switch but it's something I'm going to test a little. Certainly from one round seemed to be equal to Bridgestone.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 am

One thing I will add is the AVX doesn't seem to scuff as much as Bridgestones or Callaways. I hit the cart path with the kind of hit that makes a huge mark on Bridgestones - one of my complaints is that they are so soft that scuff too easilty. AVX seems to have survived this better or at least gotten lucky.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:53 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:47 pm
Not sure what they mean by penetrating ball flight but I did hit one 7i into a breeze that it seemed the wind didn't matter.
Exactly.

Wait until the courses dry out. You will see better distance partially as a result of the penetrating flight. It's hard to see the advantage in wet conditions now, but in windy conditions, best ball I can ever remember playing.

Though I have a ton of new Pro V1s in my locker and a dozen in my bag, I am having a hard time playing them right now, I love the AVX so much. I feel like my drives will be shorter if I play a Pro V right now. Not by much, but shorter is shorter and I want every yard I can get. And don't get me wrong, I think the Pro V is as good or better than any ball on the market. But, this new AVX has me infatuated right now. Love the penetrating launch and low spin. Feels great around the greens too.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:30 am

So I bought a sleeve of AVX's.

I had a little time last night and hit some 7i's on the skytraks comparing MG C4's to the AVX's.

Before the results some things to note (aka Doug's validation that the data's inaccurate). Skytraks determines actual launch angle, spin rates and ball speed. It calculates carry distances and dispersion. Also my assumption is that it has no way to determine different aerodynamic functions of any golf ball. So it's possible that the 2 balls have different aerodynamic structures that result in actual distances being different that what are recorded here.

How I took the data. I hit the ball until I had 6 solid strikes (deleting really crappy strikes, tops, fats, etc). Then I removed 1 of those 6 that was the furthest offline. Also I alternated balls (which took a while) so I didn't just hit 5 MG C4s and 5 AVX's. I did this for both no wind and into a 10-15 mph wind. For full disclosure the 1 of 6 that I removed were almost all identical pull draws with both balls. So odds are they wouldn't have done anything but make the dispersion for both balls larger. I hit all balls with my 7i but to make it easier to see on the graphs I used the "6i" label for the AVX's, this way I would get 2 different ball flight colors.

Results. My draws went further than my fades (I know shocking). But when comparing similar shots between the 2 balls there was no real difference regardless of what the wind was doing.

Translation, it's possible there is a difference related to the aerodynamic structure of the ball. How much difference could there really be in the aerodynamics, is something I can't test. In the pure data the launch angles, ball speed, spin rates all seemed to be the same. So test for yourself and use which ever ball makes you feel more confident in.

The 1st graph is into the wind the 2nd is with no wind.
Attachments
into wind.jpg
into wind.jpg (112.07 KiB) Viewed 224 times
no wind.jpg
no wind.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:43 am

Now, since you have some AVX in hand, I highly recommend you try them out where they really show a distance (edit, oops, freudian slip) difference. In real life on a real course in real wind. If you don't see a difference, then as you say, play whichever ball makes you feel more confident. But, I believe you WILL see a difference, as has the majority of others who have tried it and hit enough shots from all sorts of lies, in all types of conditions, off all different clubs. I have done so myself and have truly seen a difference.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 am

I'm going to play both AVX and B330-RX over the next few weeks. I plan to have a real test in a few weeks where I play the same course on consecutive days. Not sure there is a clear favorite at this time, but we will see. Worst case I stick with B330-RX but it will be nice to have a Titleist Yellow option - sometimes hard to find yellow balls at course shops.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:02 pm

So I decided that I am really going to compare my preferred Bridgestones and Titleist AVX. But first I had a sleeve of Callaway Chromesoft to work through. I bought them when I unexpected ran out of balls and they were the only yellow balls available. So I went out to a play a few after work today, Callaways the balls.

First hole part 5 - didn't love my 2nd shot so I dropped another ball. Promptly hit it into someone's yard along the first hole behind a fence. 2nd hole is par 3 with a water hazard. Tee shot just barely into the hazard. Decided to play from the drop zone, but since I wasn't loose yet I was going to hit another practice ball from the tee. Worse than the first into the hazard the whole way. 5 full swings, 3 lost balls. Evaluation starting early. Did come close to losing a ball the rest of the day.