Bawlz

User avatar
Coda1850
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by Coda1850 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:19 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Coda what do you like and dislike about the ones you've tried? I'm fine with my balls the way they are but I like to know what other people think about their balls.

^ Never expected to type that sentence.
:oops: :wtf:

Haaa -

Um, 1st off I don't think I'll be able to provide anything useful in response. To be honest, I like them all. I can't really say how/if they perform different. Wilson Staff Duo are suppose to be soft - I might say they felt softer but not sure if I could hit 'em & tell blind. Q Star - no complaints... I don't even know what to say about 'em. E6 - I haven't used 'em in bulk yet but I'll likely say they seem to help a bit, fly the smallest amount straighter, when I send 'em off in a slice (& that's because they're marketed for that).

I have alot of different balls "saved" up from tourney play [free-bee's]. Got dozens of Pro V1s, Pro V's, ChromeSoft, Nike, Bridgestone probably. I have a mound of free balls piling up in a corner of a room. Last tourney I went to I left with 3 new boxes of a dozen & a sleeve of 3. 39 fucking balls, lol.

It's kinda fun using different one's for a while but the shanked iron all feel the same. Like Shit, :fk
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

User avatar
jattruia
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jattruia » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I haven't played the e6's in years, but back then i remember liking them. Lately, i'm at the point where i just want the softest ball on the market. Off the driver and with long irons, i'm pretty impartial. I do like the soft feel best, but honestly, i can slice any ball. What matters to me is inside 100 yards. I don't rip anything off the green like the pros, but i like them to stop. Plus, the softer the better with the putter.

So, for affordable balls i like the Duo Spin best; even the Callaway Supersoft was ok. Lately, i've moved onto the Taylormade Project (a); it's been the most common ball in my bag and affordable enough. But, for the pricier balls, i like the Taylormade Tour Preferred X (got a free dozen from golf now) and the Wilson Duo Urethane. All super soft feeling for the wedges and putts.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Been hitting Srixon brand "Limited Flight" range balls. I have to say they fly pretty well, and decent wedge spin for a non-urethane covered ball.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm

So word on the street lately is that the Price Club is now selling urethane bawlsz under its own "Kirkland Signature" brand. Word on the street also says they're really good and comparable to premium tour balls like Titleist ProV1. Best of all they are priced at $30 per TWO dozen or some shit. Dang if I was one of the big manufacturers of golf balls I'd be pissed right now, and also terrified. This Price Club (aka Costco) is a inexorable juggernaut of retail (even if they call it wholesale). Start looking for these "K-sig" balls in a shrub or wooded area near you.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

User avatar
jattruia
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jattruia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:06 pm

I just ordered 2 dozen of the 4 piece kirkland signature balls today. I've been reading very good reviews on them.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Not only "on the street" but also at GolfWRX (or was that the street you were talking about?):

http://www.golfwrx.com/408052/golfers-a ... olf-balls/

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by MattF » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:31 am

My Golf Spy just tested these head to head with the ProV...results next week but sounds like they're the goods.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:28 pm

A buddy gave me a sleeve of Kirkland Signature balls before today's round. I was going to play an NXT Tour, but decided to also play the KS on some holes to see how it performed against the NXT. Frankly, I did not think it was as good as a ProV, and only on a par with the NXT. However, it was kind of windy out there, so it wasn't ideal for testing.

I think the thing that made me unimpressed with the Kirkland was a PW shot into a par 5 green from about 108 yards out, into the somewhat stiff breeze. I considered a 50* gap wedge, but went with PW due to the wind. I hit it perfectly from the short grass, with plenty of backspin---or so it felt---yet it landed a few feet short of pin, did not check, and went 8 feet off the back of the green. I feel like a ProV would have stuck right there at the pin with the shot I made. I hit it perfectly. Should have had lots of spin and it actually felt like it had lots of spin when I struck it. The breeze should have added even more. I still have all three of the Kirklands, so I will give them another shot next time out to see if that was an anomaly.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 pm

DougE wrote:A buddy gave me a sleeve of Kirkland Signature balls before today's round. I was going to play an NXT Tour, but decided to also play the KS on some holes to see how it performed against the NXT. Frankly, I did not think it was as good as a ProV, and only on a par with the NXT. However, it was kind of windy out there, so it wasn't ideal for testing.

I think the thing that made me unimpressed with the Kirkland was a PW shot into a par 5 green from about 108 yards out, into the somewhat stiff breeze. I considered a 50* gap wedge, but went with PW due to the wind. I hit it perfectly from the short grass, with plenty of backspin---or so it felt---yet it landed a few feet short of pin, did not check, and went 8 feet off the back of the green. I feel like a ProV would have stuck right there at the pin with the shot I made. I hit it perfectly. Should have had lots of spin and it actually felt like it had lots of spin when I struck it. The breeze should have added even more. I still have all three of the Kirklands, so I will give them another shot next time out to see if that was an anomaly.
At approximately $1.25/ball, how would you compare the value to say, a bigass Hebrew National hot dog and soda for $1.50?
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:56 am

I guess if I was really hungry and only had a couple bucks, I might buy a Hebrew Nat'l dog and soda, but I would not enjoy it as much as a Hummels dog (famous in CT) for $3.50.

The Kirkland ball wasn't bad overall, but it ain't no Hummels. ;)

User avatar
jattruia
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jattruia » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:26 am

So i played my first round with the Kirkland Signature balls this weekend at a course i'm very familiar with. Surprisingly, it REALLY help up nicely. I shot a +10 with over 50% fairways and greens and no lost balls. Took a few too many putts, scaring the cup all day. I really liked this ball though. A few things i noticed...

The cover feels soft to the touch, but it felt just a bit more clicky off the putter than i prefer, but not like a top flight or anything.
It appeared to go further off the driver than i'm used to as well, with less slice spin.
Irons and wedges seemed to perform identically to any other premium ball i've played.

I usually play ProV or TM Project (a) for reference.

Bonus: On the closing hole i managed to come as close to a HIO as i have in recent memory, to the point where everyone on the tee box was excited and actually filmed the cart ride to the green. Hid a 5i fade to a pin lasered at 182. It looked like it was tracking right at it as it disappeared over a small hill. Ended up inside 2 feet.

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 936
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by MattF » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:37 pm

jattruia wrote:it felt just a bit more clicky off the putter
Common feeling on MGS as well.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:47 pm

jattruia wrote: Ended up inside 2 feet.
So, did you make the birdie putt? Don't leave us hangin'.

User avatar
jattruia
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jattruia » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:49 pm

HAHA, yes, barely a tap in. Second bird of the day. Save for two holes (one of which i was in a greenside bunker that was wet clay) i played really well.

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2444
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jfurr » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Anyone tried the Costco tour ball, the Kirkland Signature?
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:36 pm

jfurr wrote:Anyone tried the Costco tour ball, the Kirkland Signature?
Yes. I played it for a couple rounds as stated higher up in the thread. Guess you missed it. Get with the program John.

Very good ball. Buddy gave me a sleeve to try. Still have a couple left. I'll try them again once it warms up. Great spin around the greens and did not notice any excessive side spin with driver or irons. Distance same as Pro V. Great ball for the price.
Last edited by DougE on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:37 pm

Has everyone seen the new MG ball for us old folks?

http://www.mggolf.com/offers/ules/?utm_ ... M&cid=1886

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Wow you got Jack Nicklaus harping that the ball goes too far already, then someone comes out and sells a non-conforming distance ball?

Pretty interesting. Not sure what the market will be like, but I'm going to send the link to my dad as he always complains about not hitting it far enough.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Speaking of bawlz.

The Kirkland signature ball is getting some decent press. It was featured in both Forbes and MSN Money articles recently. I rarely see golf articles on MSN Money.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 am

jasonfish11 wrote:Speaking of bawlz.

The Kirkland signature ball is getting some decent press. It was featured in both Forbes and MSN Money articles recently. I rarely see golf articles on MSN Money.
I have not seen either article, but I have seen reference to them. There really is a lot of press happening around this ball. And based on my limited play with it, I can see why. It certainly felt like a quality ball.

What I have not really read much about---and maybe it is in one the the stories you mentioned---is the R&D background. Who is the actual designer? Are they just contracting with a golf ball manufacturer somewhere in the world who already designed this ball and just needed someone to put their name on it and order millions? Or is there now a Kirkland Golf Division with R&D people on staff and the charge to keep moving forward with new ball designs and evolutions? Will we see a whole series of Kirkland balls in the near future, with a entry onto the Web.com Tour or ladies Futures Tour? Maybe some up & coming players who can start to bring the brand more awareness by playing it, and getting PR about it. I just don't see Costco looking to compete on the professional side of golf. That is a huge commitment and probably not something that fits in their business model. But, Bridgestone did it awhile back, and now they have the #3 ball in golf and make quality golf clubs as well. And Tiger just signed with them for 5 years, so I guess Costco could do it too. I just don't see them doing it. But I would not have expected it from a tire company either. So, you never know. It certainly has my curious meter showing high numbers right now.

Just like the MG ball, the Kirkland is also a great ball. But, as golf ball R&D in general moves forward by the big guys like Titleist, Callaway, Bridgestone, etc., will Kirkland, MG, Snell, and all the other little guys continue to invest in their own R&D to keep pace? Or just buy existing designs through overseas ball manufacturers? Having seen first-hand the involvement and commitment it takes to research, design and produce Tour level balls at the Titleist plant in Massachusetts, I find it hard to believe any of these smaller---or in the case of Kirkland, non-golf specific---companies, have the resources or commitment to get that deeply involved. I guess time will tell.

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:55 am

"But where did the design come from and how does a big box store without any material engineers or resident ball engineers create a Tour model that actually performs? They buy it -- in this case from a ball manufacturer in South Korea called Nassau Golf Co LTD. Though we haven't been able to reach anyone at Nassau, the Costco site (which states clearly that product details come directly from the manufacturer) describes the four-piece construction as consisting of a large, soft core, speed boosting outer core, super fast mantle, and soft urethane cover. The design as described aligns perfectly with what could be considered a generic Tour ball construction that, if properly manufactured, should perform well."


From the article.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companie ... ar-AAlARJW
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks for the link Jason. Read the story, and as I expected, it seems they just bought an existing design. So the question is, will they continue to regularly upgrade the design to stay current with the other big name manufacturers' Tour balls, which get new and better tweaks every couple years? The new PRO V1 coming out in February is the 6th or 7th iteration of the original design. (I have hit the newly designed, not-yet-released 2017 version of the Pro V1 and compared to the original designs, or even those from 5 or 6 years ago, the difference is night and day.)

Who is designing the K-Sig? I suspect it's the Korean manufacturer who has access to designs from other companies' balls they produce, and just go and make a few changes and call it their own, then sell it to Costco and stamp a Kirkland logo on it for them. The process and tooling to produce a ball is already set up for whoever's ball they make, so just throwing a couple small changes into the mix is not all that difficult, or costly. Very little R&D on their own behalf. The major brand of the ball they are already producing paid for all that already.

What doesn't make sense is that the K-Sig is a 4-piece ball. I'd have to do a bit more research, but there are not that many 4-piece balls out there on the market. At least not in the States. The Pro V1x is a 4-piece, but there is no way the design was stolen from Titleist. Besides, most Titleist balls are produced in the States at their plant in the Northeast. However, they do produce some overseas FOR USE OVERSEAS. Maybe it was stolen from that, but I can't imagine Titleist would not put a quick stop to that, plus the inside design of the K-Sig looks very little like a Pro V. So, I'm guessing it's a TM rip-off myself. According to the story, there are a lot of tight lips. Hmmm?

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:19 am

DougE wrote:Thanks for the link Jason. Read the story, and as I expected, it seems they just bought an existing design. So the question is, will they continue to regularly upgrade the design to stay current with the other big name manufacturers' Tour balls, which get new and better tweaks every couple years? The new PRO V1 coming out in February is the 6th or 7th iteration of the original design. (I have hit the newly designed, not-yet-released 2017 version of the Pro V1 and compared to the original designs, or even those from 5 or 6 years ago, the difference is night and day.)

Who is designing the K-Sig? I suspect it's the Korean manufacturer who has access to designs from other companies' balls they produce, and just go and make a few changes and call it their own, then sell it to Costco and stamp a Kirkland logo on it for them. The process and tooling to produce a ball is already set up for whoever's ball they make, so just throwing a couple small changes into the mix is not all that difficult, or costly. Very little R&D on their own behalf. The major brand of the ball they are already producing paid for all that already.

What doesn't make sense is that the K-Sig is a 4-piece ball. I'd have to do a bit more research, but there are not that many 4-piece balls out there on the market. At least not in the States. The Pro V1x is a 4-piece, but there is no way the design was stolen from Titleist. Besides, most Titleist balls are produced in the States at their plant in the Northeast. However, they do produce some overseas FOR USE OVERSEAS. Maybe it was stolen from that, but I can't imagine Titleist would not put a quick stop to that, plus the inside design of the K-Sig looks very little like a Pro V. So, I'm guessing it's a TM rip-off myself. According to the story, there are a lot of tight lips. Hmmm?
This is not the only weird golf ball news coming out of Korea either. Have you heard the word on the street about Bubba switching to Volvik next year? Between this, the Price Club thing and Tiger signing with Bridgestone, these are truly crazy times in the golf ball universe.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:37 am

I'm not sure what Titleist actually has patented in their production.

As far has needing to know the inside workings of titleist to "steel" the design from them that isn't needed. Just cut their ball open and do some reverse engineering.

Then look at what they have patented and slightly adjust what you need to.

So steeling the ProV1x wouldn't be that complex.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Bawlz

Post by DougE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:22 am

jasonfish11 wrote:I'm not sure what Titleist actually has patented in their production.

As far has needing to know the inside workings of titleist to "steel" the design from them that isn't needed. Just cut their ball open and do some reverse engineering.

Then look at what they have patented and slightly adjust what you need to.

So steeling the ProV1x wouldn't be that complex.
You are right. Stealing the design is easy. Reverse engineering is common in manufacturing everywhere. However, recreating the production, if it is not something already designed into your manufacturing plant, could be quite costly, unless you know it will be worth it to create all the proprietary tooling and science to get the Pro V result, without being sued out of your pants in the meantime. As I said earlier, Titleist balls sold in the US are made in the US. A Korean ball company would not typically be set up to just reproduce the Pro V, or any other Tour level big brand ball without some sort of major investment (unless they happen to be the actual manufacturer of that ball for the Big Brand name in the first place).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests