Random golf thoughts

jfurr

Re: Random golf thoughts

Post by jfurr » Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 pm

I have a weekend morning open with nothing to do. Perhaps...golf?
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 pm

On a course with the standard tee positions 1, 2, 3 for front/middle/back depending on hole, why would you have a hole where 1 is left, 2 is middle, 3 is right? I can see from the fairway that the flag is on the left side, I can't tell if it's front, middle, or back. But it looks like middle so I hit a wedge over the back. I get to the green and the flag is literally 4 feet from the rough. There's a course in NJ that does this - hate it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:06 am

That's so dumb unless you have elevated greens where you can't really see the green structure from the fw.

But with most people having lasers now maybe l/r/c is more important than f/m/b?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:49 am

I don't know how that's helpful, but I would certainly be asking the superintendent for some explanation. Maybe I'm missing something and he can enlighten me. But based on your description, I don't see the point, other than which side of the fairway to play to off the tee if there is not a clear indication from the tee.

My old course used to show the green in 6 sections with indications of where the pin was each day on a cart card. They eventually went to 4 sections. And, to JFish's point, most better golfers today (to whom 4 or 5 yards truly makes a difference) are carrying RFs.

As an aside, I do rave about quality rangefinders and their ability to shoot nearly anything and everything from just about anywhere. But I find that also having gps on the cart, as we do at my home course, is definitely helpful for determining how far from the front or back of the green the (RF-measured) pin actually is. Makes a huge difference when coming out of rough with no way to spin it, or hitting from short fairway grass, being able to stop it on a dime. But this is a different discussion for another board.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm
Here is my email to the course. The owner's contact info isn't on the website, so it just went to the general email they have. I'll be interested to see the response.

Hello,
I am writing to let you know about my recent experience at VB National. First I must say it’s my favorite course in the area, and luckily for me I live right around the corner (it would only be 4 drivers per google maps). I love the layout and condition of the course, it doesn’t let you just bomb drivers all day and requires you to put the ball in specific places. With the exception of some areas around the green right now, the course is always really well maintained and the greens are amazing.

The only issue I have is that sometimes the staff seems to forget that golf is a service industry. I’ve seen numerous instances in the past which leave a bad taste in my mouth but the my last visit there really made me question if I’m going to be returning anytime soon, even with how much I like the course. I didn’t want to write bad reviews online, instead I wanted to give you a little background about what I’ve seen and let you decide if you would like to handle it internally first.

On my last visit I arrived around 6:40am on what I knew would be a busy day. I walked in and told the man behind the counter that I was a single, and didn’t have a tee time; but I was hoping he had a 2 or 3-some he could pair me with sometime this morning. The response I received was an audible sigh (of frustration) followed by “It’s a really busy day I’m pretty packed this morning…I have a 2-some going off at 7:12.” I responded “That will work for me. I have tried calling before and I’m not allowed to make a tee-time for a single. I always get told to come out and they will see what they can do.”

Then at 7:12 we were joined by another single to round out our group. One of the 2-some was running late and the starter said we could give him 2-3 min but they were too full to give him more time. We said we were ok with this and would just start when he asked us to. I felt this was nice of the starter to let us wait a short time, although I would have understood if he said we just had to go off given how busy it was. There was 1 group in front of us and it was a 2-some. Anyways we tee off as a 3-some around 7:15 when the group in front was getting on the green of #1, and played 4 holes as a 3-some. The 4th arrived and his buddy in our group went to meet him and said they would meet us back at #6. So me and the other single played #5, then met up with the other 2 on #6. I had to provide that information as a little background for the next issue I ran into.

When we were walking off #8 green we were met by the person who was the starter when we teed off. He told us we were a little more than 1 hole behind as the group in front had already headed to #10. He asked us to please close the gap, as it was “backing up behind us.” I looked back on #8 and the 2-some behind us was over 250 yards out (I had 220 into the front edge and they were further out than I was). I told him that the group in front was a 2-some and we were not playing slow. We felt rushed on #9, and when we finished I looked at my phone. It was 8:52, 1 hour and 40 min from our tee time (1:37 from when we teed off). I stopped at the club house to get some water and said to the marshal/starter who was in the pro-shop “Hey, I appreciate what you are trying to do as I hate 5 hour rounds; but we just finished 9 holes in 1 hour 40 min as a 4-some. That is lightning for a 4 ball. Please try to make sure your criticism is warranted next time.” He responded with “yeah I came in here and realized all of that.” There was no apology, or even a sense of remorse/regret.

I generally play as a single, and because of that I’ve often been slowed down by the group ahead. Normally I just chip & putt to keep my distance, but this makes me very aware of the groups behind me. We were never “holding up” the 2-some behind us the entire day. Example we were leaving the 18th tee box when they were getting out of their cart on the 17th tee box. We talked about letting them play through if they caught up to us, but they never really did. Nor did I ever look back to see them waiting (well except one time on #12 because we all botched that hole).

The other thing I question is why if it was such a busy day was there a decision to have 3 groups of 2 early in the morning and stick 2 singles with the same group in the middle? That seems like poor course management. The 2nd single should have been paired with the 2-some behind our group.

I’ve seen other things in the past that leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I elected to let them go as “one-offs”. But I couldn’t let this day go, and I won’t continue to come here if this continues, even though I really love the course layout and condition. I come to VB national pretty often due to the proximity to my house, and when my son gets a little older I plan to become a member at a course in the area.

The last thing I want to add is that there is an older guy probably 5’6” to 5’8” who works in the pro-shop occasionally (sometimes even the cart barn). I wish I knew his name, but the only thing I can think to pinpoint him is I found out he also teaches a yoga class for seniors somewhere. He is extremely nice and I’ve never had any issue with him, if you could have your entire staff modeled after him it would be a 180 degree difference.
So I got no response from the course.

But on the bright side this morning when I went there to practice my chipping on the way to work I realized that I have a new place to practice chipping off tight lies. I realized if they aren't going to have respect for me why should I have respect for the course? So I hit some practice pitches off the chipping green since no one else was around. I was too good at using my bounce, and didn't take any divots the 5 or 6 times I did it.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:04 am

Just discovered this golf course profile on youtube. This is where I play most of the time. :puke

no more polo shirts

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:04 am
Just discovered this golf course profile on youtube. This is where I play most of the time. :puke
Wow, I watched the whole video. The place itself looks nice, but man, that was a lot of New York accents and ugly swings. I knew none of the guys in the video were you, Beef, just by the fact that there wasn't really a good swing in the whole lot.