Random golf thoughts

jfurr

Re: Random golf thoughts

Post by jfurr » Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 pm

I have a weekend morning open with nothing to do. Perhaps...golf?
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:05 pm

On a course with the standard tee positions 1, 2, 3 for front/middle/back depending on hole, why would you have a hole where 1 is left, 2 is middle, 3 is right? I can see from the fairway that the flag is on the left side, I can't tell if it's front, middle, or back. But it looks like middle so I hit a wedge over the back. I get to the green and the flag is literally 4 feet from the rough. There's a course in NJ that does this - hate it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:06 am

That's so dumb unless you have elevated greens where you can't really see the green structure from the fw.

But with most people having lasers now maybe l/r/c is more important than f/m/b?
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:49 am

I don't know how that's helpful, but I would certainly be asking the superintendent for some explanation. Maybe I'm missing something and he can enlighten me. But based on your description, I don't see the point, other than which side of the fairway to play to off the tee if there is not a clear indication from the tee.

My old course used to show the green in 6 sections with indications of where the pin was each day on a cart card. They eventually went to 4 sections. And, to JFish's point, most better golfers today (to whom 4 or 5 yards truly makes a difference) are carrying RFs.

As an aside, I do rave about quality rangefinders and their ability to shoot nearly anything and everything from just about anywhere. But I find that also having gps on the cart, as we do at my home course, is definitely helpful for determining how far from the front or back of the green the (RF-measured) pin actually is. Makes a huge difference when coming out of rough with no way to spin it, or hitting from short fairway grass, being able to stop it on a dime. But this is a different discussion for another board.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm
Here is my email to the course. The owner's contact info isn't on the website, so it just went to the general email they have. I'll be interested to see the response.

Hello,
I am writing to let you know about my recent experience at VB National. First I must say it’s my favorite course in the area, and luckily for me I live right around the corner (it would only be 4 drivers per google maps). I love the layout and condition of the course, it doesn’t let you just bomb drivers all day and requires you to put the ball in specific places. With the exception of some areas around the green right now, the course is always really well maintained and the greens are amazing.

The only issue I have is that sometimes the staff seems to forget that golf is a service industry. I’ve seen numerous instances in the past which leave a bad taste in my mouth but the my last visit there really made me question if I’m going to be returning anytime soon, even with how much I like the course. I didn’t want to write bad reviews online, instead I wanted to give you a little background about what I’ve seen and let you decide if you would like to handle it internally first.

On my last visit I arrived around 6:40am on what I knew would be a busy day. I walked in and told the man behind the counter that I was a single, and didn’t have a tee time; but I was hoping he had a 2 or 3-some he could pair me with sometime this morning. The response I received was an audible sigh (of frustration) followed by “It’s a really busy day I’m pretty packed this morning…I have a 2-some going off at 7:12.” I responded “That will work for me. I have tried calling before and I’m not allowed to make a tee-time for a single. I always get told to come out and they will see what they can do.”

Then at 7:12 we were joined by another single to round out our group. One of the 2-some was running late and the starter said we could give him 2-3 min but they were too full to give him more time. We said we were ok with this and would just start when he asked us to. I felt this was nice of the starter to let us wait a short time, although I would have understood if he said we just had to go off given how busy it was. There was 1 group in front of us and it was a 2-some. Anyways we tee off as a 3-some around 7:15 when the group in front was getting on the green of #1, and played 4 holes as a 3-some. The 4th arrived and his buddy in our group went to meet him and said they would meet us back at #6. So me and the other single played #5, then met up with the other 2 on #6. I had to provide that information as a little background for the next issue I ran into.

When we were walking off #8 green we were met by the person who was the starter when we teed off. He told us we were a little more than 1 hole behind as the group in front had already headed to #10. He asked us to please close the gap, as it was “backing up behind us.” I looked back on #8 and the 2-some behind us was over 250 yards out (I had 220 into the front edge and they were further out than I was). I told him that the group in front was a 2-some and we were not playing slow. We felt rushed on #9, and when we finished I looked at my phone. It was 8:52, 1 hour and 40 min from our tee time (1:37 from when we teed off). I stopped at the club house to get some water and said to the marshal/starter who was in the pro-shop “Hey, I appreciate what you are trying to do as I hate 5 hour rounds; but we just finished 9 holes in 1 hour 40 min as a 4-some. That is lightning for a 4 ball. Please try to make sure your criticism is warranted next time.” He responded with “yeah I came in here and realized all of that.” There was no apology, or even a sense of remorse/regret.

I generally play as a single, and because of that I’ve often been slowed down by the group ahead. Normally I just chip & putt to keep my distance, but this makes me very aware of the groups behind me. We were never “holding up” the 2-some behind us the entire day. Example we were leaving the 18th tee box when they were getting out of their cart on the 17th tee box. We talked about letting them play through if they caught up to us, but they never really did. Nor did I ever look back to see them waiting (well except one time on #12 because we all botched that hole).

The other thing I question is why if it was such a busy day was there a decision to have 3 groups of 2 early in the morning and stick 2 singles with the same group in the middle? That seems like poor course management. The 2nd single should have been paired with the 2-some behind our group.

I’ve seen other things in the past that leave a bad taste in my mouth, but I elected to let them go as “one-offs”. But I couldn’t let this day go, and I won’t continue to come here if this continues, even though I really love the course layout and condition. I come to VB national pretty often due to the proximity to my house, and when my son gets a little older I plan to become a member at a course in the area.

The last thing I want to add is that there is an older guy probably 5’6” to 5’8” who works in the pro-shop occasionally (sometimes even the cart barn). I wish I knew his name, but the only thing I can think to pinpoint him is I found out he also teaches a yoga class for seniors somewhere. He is extremely nice and I’ve never had any issue with him, if you could have your entire staff modeled after him it would be a 180 degree difference.
So I got no response from the course.

But on the bright side this morning when I went there to practice my chipping on the way to work I realized that I have a new place to practice chipping off tight lies. I realized if they aren't going to have respect for me why should I have respect for the course? So I hit some practice pitches off the chipping green since no one else was around. I was too good at using my bounce, and didn't take any divots the 5 or 6 times I did it.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:04 am

Just discovered this golf course profile on youtube. This is where I play most of the time. :puke

Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:41 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:04 am
Just discovered this golf course profile on youtube. This is where I play most of the time. :puke
Wow, I watched the whole video. The place itself looks nice, but man, that was a lot of New York accents and ugly swings. I knew none of the guys in the video were you, Beef, just by the fact that there wasn't really a good swing in the whole lot.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:29 am

Just posting this here, because it's been a while, and I feel like we have all become maybe too complacent in life. Snap out of it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am

So, I have played some decent golf this year. However, there is one guy I play with regularly, Bernie, who is about 7-9 strokes higher in handicap than me, and for whatever reason, seems to bring the worst out of my game. When we first started playing a couple seasons ago, that wasn't the case. Back then, the man kinda idolized me and my game. I helped him with his short game, for which he still gives me tons of credit. He's dropped 3-4 strokes a round since we started playing, purely with his improved short game. I still give him tips. Yet, I just can't seem to play to my regular level when I play with just him these days. I have been trying to analyze why. He has seen me shoot some great scores and make many awesome shots over the past couple seasons, but lately, generally speaking, when I play with just him, or with him and other people we both know, I play like crap. I think he un-inspires me. He's a nice guy and I really like him and enjoy playing with him, but as much as I want to play at my peak, I always seem to bring my C+ game when it's just the two of us. Yet, when there is someone playing with us who has some real game, or someone I don't know, I usually can step it up.

Last week, I did not play with him at all. But, on Thursday evening I went out to play a quick nine alone. I parred the first couple holes, then joined up with this guy Matt who I have mentioned on here before. He is a younger guy (28ish) with a great game (a 5-6 handicap), who can outdrive me by 30-40 yards. He's anal about his game like I am about mine. He works at the course. He was playing with another young guy who also works there, Stephen, who is not that good. As has happen before with Matt, he and I started feeding off each other. The last time that happened, I beat him by 3 strokes with a 78. On Thursday, playing only nine holes, I was putting for bird on the final hole and he was chipping up a hill for his bird. He holed the chip to card a 38. I missed my birdie putt, but got in for par and also carded a 38. Again, he and I went head to head and were both into it.

The next day, I got paired up with two guys I did not know and played well again, shooting a 78 from the blues, while they both shot well over 90 from the whites. I don't think I made a poor shot the whole round. That's some good golf for me. Yet, a few days later, I went out with my buddy Bernie again, as a twosome, and played pretty much at his 15 handicap level. WTF?

I'm starting to think Bernie is the problem, but I like him. Maybe I try too hard to dominate him. How can it be that over the last couple months in probably 8 or 10 rounds with him, the only round I played really well, Matt was there too, giving me the inspiration I need. Proving anything to Bernie was not even a thought. Only how I played against Matt mattered to me. How do I conquer my woes playing with Bernie? Even he has noticed my lackadaisical play with him. He is developing a bit of a complex, because he sees how frustrated I get playing so poorly with him and has seen me play my A game with others so often. He is feeling like I don't want to play with him. But the reality is, I DO want to play with him, I just want to kick his ass by 8 strokes every round instead of the 2 or 3 that has become the norm of late.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:31 pm

I feel there must be some hard science behind the phenomenon, Doug. Specifically thinking about swing tempos, and how we are affected by our observations/perceptions of others's tempos.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 pm

I think I just now realized why golf is a game of misses. Of dealing with misses. If not for the misses, golf would be too simplistic to be very interesting.

In every other goal sport, the defense consists of other people, who are doing everything they can to block you from the goal. Look at soccer, they're lucky to get one goal in an entire game. So in golf, the goal is not really defended--other than by the sheer distance between you and the hole, I would argue.

Hitting a small dense ball over long distances is an inherently haphazard activity. Even the best still hit it off the planet. That's why improving your swing is so hard I think. You are trying to swim against the tide. The tide being entropy. Golf is entropic. You can work your ass off and swim out a little further than others, maybe, but the tide always wins. I can see how it could be tough to maintain morale in such an endeavor. To become "good" at golf is not necessarily to get over any kind of hump, it's more like you're just getting a little less beat back by the tide of entropy than some of your friends.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 pm

How many rounds are you talking about?

3 or 4 bad rounds with him over the last 6 months? If so maybe it's just variance.

Or do you play with him frequently (10+ times over the summer). Then maybe he does affect your game.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:02 pm

At least 10Xs a summer. Probably more like 25Xs during the year. I also play 150+ rounds without him. And not that I don't have the occasional poor round when I'm not playing with him, but it's uncanny how often I play poorly with him, particularly over the last few months. It's like I get the yips, however not just putting, but throughout my game.

I think perhaps it's because his game is so average and I feel like I SHOULD be so much better, based on my handicap and my usual good play with so many other better players. I USED to play well with him. Enough so that he totally aspired to have my game and has said so on many occasions, not only to me, but to others. Funny thing is, HE is a nervous nelly most of the time and wants my approval. He thanks me for playing with him every time we play, as if I am lowering myself to do so or something. We have somewhat of a dom/sub golf-friend relationship. Yet, he is far more accomplished than I ever was, career-wise and financially.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Doug, maybe you are becoming a bit complacent with your own game, expecting an easy win by 7-8 strokes as you say and in turn fail to focus adequately on your own shots. Things like club selection, target selection, aiming accuracy and even swinging (slower swing, coming out of the shot earlier, etc...). I have observed this in my own game at times, usually playing with but not necessarily against players of lower skills...
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm thinking the opposite - you probably are putting too much pressure on yourself to play better since you know you should be +8 shots. I started feeling that way about one of my friends in NJ before I left. It seemed like I was always playing below my normal game when I was with him. Granted his average score was 20 shots worse than mine, but I don't think it had as much to do with his game as it had to do with me feeling like I shouldn't ever be hitting the same bad shots because I was better than him. For some reason I felt the need to prove that I was better than he was. Anyway, then I'd get off to a bad start and before you knew it the round was not going well. My other theory is that this guy threw off my rhythm, if only because in order to play better I usually would slow down my swing. So my thinking is that his poor swing somehow subconsciously made me speed up my swing.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:29 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 pm
Doug, maybe you are becoming a bit complacent with your own game, expecting an easy win by 7-8 strokes as you say and in turn fail to focus adequately on your own shots. Things like club selection, target selection, aiming accuracy and even swinging (slower swing, coming out of the shot earlier, etc...). I have observed this in my own game at times, usually playing with but not necessarily against players of lower skills...
Complacency is certainly part of it, I agree. When I play with better players, I am all in mentally, for sure.

And now that you mention it, I remember a day a couple years back where I was playing with a very good player of whom I did not know. I was about a 10 or 11 handicap at the time, he was probably a 5 or 6. I played blues, he played blacks. He hit the ball much further than I did across the board. I was focused on making good solid shots. After about 6 holes, I was just plugging along like a tortoise a couple over par and he was blasting the ball, but not really scoring that well.

On the 7th, the tees were on the black teeing ground, really too far back for me, and I wasn't sure I could even reach the fairway, over the long forced carry. I voiced that concern out loud. He pulled a 4i. Mr. Cool. I got across with a great driver shot (for me), but he hit his 4i a few yards past me. I could feel he was puffing out his chest on the inside. I parred the hole. He bogeyed it. The red in his face was apparent. He was getting pissed off.

I don't remember what happened on the 8th, but on the 9th he hit an awesome drive. Very long. Center fairway. After hitting my 2nd, I rolled up alongside him as he was about to prepare to hit his approach. I said something about how fantastic his drive was to him. He chunked his next shot into the hazard in front of the green. I parred, he doubled. He kinda lost it. Expletives, thrown clubs, that sorta thing.

As we made the turn, he and his buddy peeled off to the clubhouse for what I thought was to pick up their pre-ordered lunch. Myself and the guy I was riding with went to the tee. We waited......and waited....and waited. They never came out. We finally hit after about 10 minutes. They never showed by the time we reached the 10th green. While playing the next hole they finally started the 10th. We called them up, motioning that we would wait. They waved us on indicating they would eventually catch up. They never did. In fact, it looked like they made no attempt to catch up. I realized at the time that this normally very competent player was not enjoying me playing better than him. In his mind, I was some old guy who couldn't drive the ball out of my own way and had no business scoring better than he was. I was beneath him. I got in his head.

When you think about it, I had nothing to lose. I did not expect myself to be able to play to his level. On the other hand, he EXPECTED to play better than some SENIOR who hits the ball about 30% shorter than he does! He might have been 30. His buddy wasn't as good as he was and he wasn't worried about him. I easily had his buddy beat, but the young hot shot thought he should wipe the floor with me. I shouldn't even be on the same course with him. As a result, he got in his own head. I may be doing the same thing now when I play with Bernie.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:16 pm
I'm thinking the opposite - you probably are putting too much pressure on yourself to play better since you know you should be +8 shots. I started feeling that way about one of my friends in NJ before I left. It seemed like I was always playing below my normal game when I was with him. Granted his average score was 20 shots worse than mine, but I don't think it had as much to do with his game as it had to do with me feeling like I shouldn't ever be hitting the same bad shots because I was better than him. For some reason I felt the need to prove that I was better than he was. Anyway, then I'd get off to a bad start and before you knew it the round was not going well.
Sounds exactly like how I often feel with Bernie.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 pm

It could be:

A. What may have once been Fish's 'variance' has turned into an sinister feedback loop of 'I always play like shit with Bernie'.

or

B. You have subconscious issues with Bernie idolizing you and are uncomfortable with his reverence.

Who knows? Maybe it's something entirely different. I don't know how you'll solve the Bernie problem, Doug, but I hope you do. Keep us posted.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:41 pm
It could be:

B. You have subconscious issues with Bernie idolizing you and are uncomfortable with his reverence.
That may be part of it. Maybe because I think HE expects me to play much better than him. I don't want to disappoint him. I'm sure, subconsciously (or possibly consciously) I want him to keep idolizing me. :facepalm

By the way, thanks to all of you for your suggestions and support. I'll give it another shot with Bernie next week at some point and will keep this thread in mind.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Hire a hit man. This guy is like a black cloud. He should be dead. I have a golf companion who insists on playing tournaments with me. I probably average 2-3 shots lower when he is not around. I have won twice this year in his absence. I keep encouraging him to stay in Arizona 12 months a year.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:42 am

I made an observation (to myself) the other day how, for me, one of the more nervous moments in a round is trying to get up and down for bogey. Of course, par is the holy grail but most of us hackers and slashers are typically okay with a bogey. We understand we are going to have bogeys. One can recover from bogey. Often bogey is a decent score for us. Once one goes beyond bogey, we are looking at potential round wreckers.

I had bogeyed the first hole, an non-difficult par 5 and found myself laying 3 and off the green at the next hole, an uphill par 4. I really wanted to get that easy chip to tap in range but left it 8 feet short. Lots of bad thoughts rolling through my mind. "Three over after two", "the next hole, a 215 yard par 3 is an easy bogey, that will be 4 over" "I should have hit the green with my 3rd" "why am I playing, I hate shooting 85" ...

I did my best to wipe those thoughts clear. Concentrated on making a good stroke and darned if it didn't go in. Happy with a bogey, I strolled over to the par 3, hit the green and 2-putted. Off to the races. I did pick up a double on #17 (3-putt) but recorded a sub-80 round, which is my gold standard. Maybe I would have played well if I had missed the putt on #2. I think, however, the weight of taking a double early in the round may have tipped the scales in the wrong direction.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:31 pm

Sounds like me today. Made an unforced bogey on the first hole, short par 5 after a good drive. Pressed on #2 to make par, DB. Difficult shot on 4 to save par, should have taken medicine for bogey, instead DB. Unfortunately I am technically incompetent or I would have changed my user name to GDOUBLEBOGEY after today's round.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:58 am

My USGA rules of golf app on my phone disappeared. Then I realized it has already updated to have the 2019 rules in it, and it just "disappeared" from my "golf" main screen. It was still in my all apps section.

I would need to download a different app to get the current rules, luckily I'm not planning on playing tournaments this year so I don't need it.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this change yet.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Calloway golf is hiring a director of finance in Carlsbad CA.

Hmmmm.
Keep it short stupid.