Random golf thoughts

DougE

Re: Random golf thoughts

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am

I am beginning to realize, as far as my swing goes, I got what I got. It is what it is. Sure, I will continue to search for little things to better my swing, but at this point in my life/game, I really doubt there is any way to get more than 5 or 10 yards of extra distance out of my iron swing and maybe 10 or 15 more yards out of my driver. Best case. I ain't 40 anymore. Nearly a generation from it. But, I generally keep the ball in play. So, my goal is to just fine-tune the tools I have. That is the only way my handicap will get significantly lower.

I feel that my chipping and general short game is very good. But it can always be better. And as much as I would love to hit the ball a lot further off the tee and with my irons, the reality is, my full swing is usually good enough to play close-to-par golf, as long as my pitching, chipping, putting and bunker play is rock solid. And as solid as mine is, it's a long way from rock solid.

So, though I already spend about 85-90% of my practice time working on my short game, I plan to work more efficiently on it going forward. I already practice literally hundreds of chips a week. As a result, that is the best part of my entire game. I give myself a realistic chance to get up & down when chipping (not pitching) probably 80-90% of the time (inside 8' to tap-ins). Unfortunately, my up & down percentage after a chip is only about 50%. And my greenside bunker saves percentage is under 30%. So, maybe I need to spend more time on the putting green and in the practice bunker. Both are boring parts of my practice routine and consequently the parts that don't get enough attention. So, this year, I'm gonna putt and go to the beach a lot more, using specific drills that work on the issues I know will make a difference. For me, that is short putts and proximity to the hole from a bunker. And, I'll continue to hit range balls about as much as I do now, just to maintain the somewhat functioning full-swing I have now, with a tweak here or there for some more consistency or another yard or two.

Practice greens, practice bunkers, chipping areas and range sessions are all great for general practice, but nothing beats going out on the course and hitting multiple balls from all the difficult lies and weird distances, onto the real greens and out of the actual greenside bunkers for the best practice. So even though I have always practiced out on the course whenever possible, this year I plan to do it even more. Now that I can use a cart any time I want at no cost, my practice area just got bigger and even more accessible. As I have said before, membership has its privileges.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am

DougE wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am
I am beginning to realize, as far as my swing goes, I got what I got. It is what it is. Sure, I will continue to search for little things to better my swing, but at this point in my life/game, I really doubt there is any way to get more than 5 or 10 yards of extra distance out of my iron swing and maybe 10 or 15 more yards out of my driver. Best case. I ain't 40 anymore. Nearly a generation from it. But, I generally keep the ball in play. So, my goal is to just fine-tune the tools I have. That is the only way my handicap will get significantly lower.
Bah! Distance. Shlubs like us need repeatability far more than distance, I always thought.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am

Agreed with you Beef. But Doug has a great point. He and I aren't getting any younger and we mostly got what we've got in terms of distance. Sure, you can always fine tune the swing to get more accuracy. Hitting greens closer is easier from the fairway than the rough or fairway bunkers. Also, hitting greens in regulation is where I feel my main improvement still needs to be, but that means doing better with the short irons in terms or accuracy, mostly.

But for us, the short game is where it's at. I consider myself a decent putter (I average close to 30 putts per round and 3-putts less than once per round on average), but chipping, pitching and definitely greenside bunker play could all use some improvement. Incidentally, Doug, I also average 50% up and down after a chip but it's probably because I get more 8 footers than tap-ins. There are days where the short game is on (chipping included) and I can eke out a 75 out of 7 or 8 greens hit... and worse days where I might get an 82-84 after 6 greens hit.
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 am

DougE wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am
I am beginning to realize, as far as my swing goes, I got what I got. It is what it is. Sure, I will continue to search for little things to better my swing, but at this point in my life/game, I really doubt there is any way to get more than 5 or 10 yards of extra distance out of my iron swing and maybe 10 or 15 more yards out of my driver.
You mean the golf ball is not giving you the extra distance you crave? Color the USGA shocked. :fuckall :fkno
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Even if the USGA and R&A are right about distance getting out of control (hint: it isn't), any remedy should only apply to professional golfers and not the rest of us. Can you imagine "reining in the ball 20%" for our game? Instead of say a 240 yard drive, which is admittedly pushing it for me, it would be a 200 yard drive. A 6000 yards course would now play like a 7200 yards one currently does, in other words no fun at all. So everyone (or nearly so) would have to move to the most forward tees at 4500 yards, let the super seniors and ladies off of the game, or rebuild tee boxes in the middle of the current fairways... Pure Madness! :onfire

Jack Nicklaus has become an old fart who is not thinking straight. Even for the pros, 20% of a 300 yard drive, would now put them at 240. Great, now they can play at any muni, at 6500 yards long! Jack, give it a rest, will you? :fk :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:15 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am
He and I aren't getting any younger
I am going to make a brave confession right now. I'm not getting younger either.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Jack Nicklaus has become an old fart who is not thinking straight. Even for the pros, 20% of a 300 yard drive, would now put them at 240. Great, now they can play at any muni, at 6500 yards long! Jack, give it a rest, will you? :fk :facepalm
I must agree with this.

99.9% of those who attempt to play this game are not complaining that they hit the ball too far. Shut the f*ck up Jack. I wonder if he feels that if the distances continue to get longer, it will throw shade on his accomplishments (and distances) in his prime, yet disguises that reason with concerns for having to build longer golf courses.

It would be interesting to see today's power players hit persimmon clubs and balata balls, just for comparison purposes (and to make Jack more comfortable with his accomplishments), but if they did, my money is still on today's players to be the better overall players (and still, the longest hitters.) Things are not just different in equipment today than they were 30 or 40 years ago. Physical training and conditioning has also contributed a lot, as well as a better understanding of how to get more power from a swing. (The modern swing.) Yes, for some, this has shortened careers by putting added stress on their bodies. But in the meantime, they were hitting the ball further than Jack and Arnie and Ben Hogan too, whether balata or not. And look at Tiger now, with his new low-stress swing. Time will tell, but for now he's out there further than most 30 year olds. (If he is not in the rough.) Also, today's serious players practice 40-50 hours a week, or more. That just wasn't the culture back then.

Things change Jack. Get over it. You were great in your day. Maybe even BOAT. No one will ever take that away from you (unless Tiger still has some magic inside). But shut up and bask in your glory. You deserve it.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:37 pm

Honestly, when i first heard Jack talking about a ball to limit distance for the pro's, i wasn't that against it. It does seem ridiculous how far these guys hit the ball. Although, i agree that there's other equipment at play here as well as fitness, training, practice, new swings, etc. But, then i saw the numbers on the distance report that were released, and it's clearly a joke.

First off, they barely longer than they were the previous way...something like (less than) 3 yds. Then, they're not even really comparing apples to apples and the numbers/results they released are so skewed it's laughable.

You'd think maybe there would be an easier way to limit the distance these guys can hit the ball (longer rough, tighter fairways, not making the fairways so rock hard that they get 50 yds of roll, and so on). Hopefully this all goes away, but as we saw with anchored putting it may not be so easily dismissed.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:39 pm

jattruia wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:37 pm
Honestly, when i first heard Jack talking about a ball to limit distance for the pro's, i wasn't that against it. It does seem ridiculous how far these guys hit the ball. Although, i agree that there's other equipment at play here as well as fitness, training, practice, new swings, etc. But, then i saw the numbers on the distance report that were released, and it's clearly a joke.

First off, they barely longer than they were the previous way...something like (less than) 3 yds. Then, they're not even really comparing apples to apples and the numbers/results they released are so skewed it's laughable.

You'd think maybe there would be an easier way to limit the distance these guys can hit the ball (longer rough, tighter fairways, not making the fairways so rock hard that they get 50 yds of roll, and so on). Hopefully this all goes away, but as we saw with anchored putting it may not be so easily dismissed.
I was the exact same way. At first I thought, man I don't want to have to pay $100+ per round just because the course has to be 8,000 yards.

But then I kind of looked at the info and revised my thoughts.

Why can't they just cap the ball and club face "springiness" and yes that's a technical term. Then let players hit the ball as far as they can with those limits. Oh wait that is what they did, seems to be fine by me.
Keep it short stupid.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 pm

jattruia wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:37 pm
You'd think maybe there would be an easier way to limit the distance these guys can hit the ball (longer rough, tighter fairways, not making the fairways so rock hard that they get 50 yds of roll, and so on).
Just grow the grass like Notre Dame did when they played USC with Reggie Bush. The USGA would have been proud of that rough.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Or another (probably stupid, but here goes) idea: ban the driver for the pros, as part of the hard card for the USGA, R&A and PGA Tour. It seems that most of them have a 3 wood that goes 280 or so, or maybe a bit more. Voila: problem solved. No need for a rule change or anything. It's just a condition of the competition at the pro level.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 am

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 pm
Or another (probably stupid, but here goes) idea: ban the driver for the pros, as part of the hard card for the USGA, R&A and PGA Tour. It seems that most of them have a 3 wood that goes 280 or so, or maybe a bit more. Voila: problem solved. No need for a rule change or anything. It's just a condition of the competition at the pro level.
Unfortunately that would punish the guys that aren't bombers. Plus, pretty sure the TaylorMades and Callaways of the world wouldn't allow that since they rely on that driver coverage to sell to the rest of us.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 am

Sorry SJD, I like ya, but that's just ridiculous. :nope

It'd be like banning the fast ball at the major league level so there are less home runs. Good luck getting fannies in the seats.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm

jattruia wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 am
Unfortunately that would punish the guys that aren't bombers. Plus, pretty sure the TaylorMades and Callaways of the world wouldn't allow that since they rely on that driver coverage to sell to the rest of us.
DougE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 am

It'd be like banning the fast ball at the major league level so there are less home runs. Good luck getting fannies in the seats.
I told you it was a stupid idea. But it would achieve the result, without changing the Rules of Golf, without bifurcation and without having to lengthen some old courses... :facepalm

I also think I don't see a problem that needs solving, so there... :school :yess

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:20 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 am

I think that prohibiting drivers would be more akin to prohibiting metal bats. Banning the fastball would be like banning a specific kind of golf shot. :school
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Went to the range today after mowing the grass. Saw a new one today.

At the far side of the range (down where I'm at) is a guy hitting balls and SUPER animated. Like a true staton island piece of work as beef would say (wife beater, jeans and a gold chain with a cross). I notice he's videoing his entire range session. Very loudly announcing each flaw with every swing. Then he catches one "good" and goes up to the camera puts the club face near the camera and said "that's what you call meating one. Right in the meat.". While pointing to the center of the club face.

He finished and had 2 buckets left and gave them to me. I said thank you but had a guess they weren't free. He hit the 3 or 4 balls from what he had left in the 3rd bucket commenting on each one. He then stands behind me as I stripe a cut 7i into the wind and proceeds to give me swing advice for my "slice". It moved right about 8 yards with a good breeze in and off the left. It was a good shot.

I politely tell him "thanks but I have an instructor. I don't even listen to myself right now."

He leaves and everyone on the range is looking at me. So I say "looks like tiger is back."
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:06 pm

I made the mistake of leaving the TV on Golf Channel both yesterday and today. As a result I now find myself with virtually no shits to give about the Masters, major championships or professional golf in general. Smooth move ex-lax. On top of that I am feeling pretty antagonistic towards just about anyone who plays or likes golf. (Bunch of sheeps. Why do you all have to be such nerds all the time?) Right now the only person I can stand who plays golf is myself but even that is subject to change at any moment.

The moral of the story is do not turn on Golf Channel until a tournament actually starts. Even just watching the tournament coverage thurs-sun, is way more than one human can handle.

When you force people to fill up TV air-time for like, SIX HOURS at a time, as the Golf Channel forces its on-air staff to do during these major championship lead-ups, you invariably end up producing mass quantities of rubbish content, a bunch of blabbering away about nothing, all it actually accomplishes is making the world a worse place to live in.

Before I shut off the TV, I always make sure to change the channel on the set-top box, to anything EXCEPT Golf Channel.
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Tomorrow will be shitty, windy and cold, and Tiger will be on TV playing the Masters. But fuck that shit, I will be at Silver Lake grinding out my own sad pars, bogeys and God knows what else.
A golfball wizard's

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm playing the next 2 days.

Not supposed to be miserably cold but certainly not warm.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Tiger is back in full force. I overheard a conversation from the cubicles next to me. It was about how random people at my work are interested in golf again. They were talking about watching these guys skip balls on the water on #16. To them this was a novel concept.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:12 pm

:fk I'm playing Thursday and Friday too. I don't believe it....yet....but there is a forecast of 5-8 inches of snow here Saturday. Seriously? WTF.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:08 pm

There are a lot of dumb people who play golf.

Today I was between 2 2-somes on the back 9 and I asked the one behind me if they wanted to play as a 3-some on the 14th tee. They said "no you're walking and we're riding it will slow everything up."

Since it was a dick way to just say "no thanks" I responded "yeah you are right 2 guys in a cart normally are slower than 1 guy walking."

When I was putting the flag in the hole on the 15th, I noticed they were still putting on 14.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:30 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Today I was between 2 2-somes on the back 9 and I asked the one behind me if they wanted to play as a 3-some on the 14th tee. They said "no you're walking and we're riding it will slow everything up."

Since it was a dick way to just say "no thanks" I responded "yeah you are right 2 guys in a cart normally are slower than 1 guy walking."
What an excellent response. Would've been great if you just left it at that and turned your back. I'll try to use the same line if it ever comes up. And yeah you're totally right, even though you'd think golf is a sport whose participants would be maybe slightly smarter than average... that doesn't seem to be the case. Golf is actually kind of a low-class, mouth-breather domain, on the public/muni level at least.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Not worth starting a new thread, so posted here.

Fluff Cowan (Furyk's caddie) played Worthington again on Friday. I heard him mention to our club pro that our greens are better than Congressional's right now. He plays there regularly too, I guess. (He prefaced his statement with "You didn't hear this from me, but....)

I was surprised, because, considering that it snowed last week and has been so cold for so long this winter, I feel our greens are in okay condition, but nothing special. They are probably rolling about 10 right now. But still quite brown. I do expect them to be much better by June or so. We aerate in May this year. Our speeds will be in the 11-11.5ish neighborhood then, or faster when rolled and cut. Normally, that wouldn't be bad, but with the amount of slope we have on most of these greens, it can make some putts nearly impossible, and some really good short-iron approach shots landing close to the hole, ending up 50 feet away, even with good spin, when conditions get firm. Actually, a lot like what I have been seeing at the Masters all week before today's rain. It can be frustrating.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:04 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:30 pm
jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:08 pm

What an excellent response. Would've been great if you just left it at that and turned your back.
Exactly what happened. I said that, turned around and headed to my ball
Keep it short stupid.