Random golf thoughts

jev

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby jev » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:09 am

GBOGEY wrote:
CeeBee wrote:Move up another tee.

Sound advice - play the right tees - on a course like that the longer tees can be a double nightmare.

Forward? Why?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/7cUjDprCcWk[/youtube]
430 yard eagle... :clap:
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:08 am

Hell of a 14
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:03 pm

my golf buddy trip friends are now referring to having the "Furr Yips" whenever you can't hit a wedge. :(
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:05 pm

I was going to try to get out and play solo today but thunderclouds rolling over all day

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:36 pm

It's like a hundred degrees with humidity right now. Too hot for me to go hit balls. Not that I can't stand the heat. I just know when I get there there will be at least one guy in a button down shirt and khakis flailing away without the slightest droplet of sweat anywhere. I can't concentrate in those situations.
insufficient data

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:28 am

On a counter-note....

When I was younger, I didn't sweat at all. I actually ended up in the ER twice in my life with heat exhaustion. Once was when I was 12, the other was when I was 25. Somewhere around age 26, I started sweating profusely. The trade off? Despite the fact that I spend more time outside now than I ever did before, even when it's 114 outside, I haven't had any symptoms of heat exhaustion in 15 years. However, being soaking wet is not a good feeling.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 pm

There is a solution to my sweat problem and it is microfiber clothing. Problem is I hate that stuff. It feels like crap against the skin. Back in the day it was called "polyester" and everyone rightfully hated and ridiculed it. Now-a-days they give it fancy names like "Dri-fit" or "Evapo-tech" or some such bullshit, charge premium prices and everyone laps that shit right up. Fuck what the Man says. I think I'd rather live with a sopping cotton shirt.

QUESTION EVERYTHING :fkno
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:40 pm

There was a British tourist family of non-golfers next to me at the range, batting balls around for shits and giggles. The two teenage boys kept ribbing each other saying "Go on then Rory." On balance I find them (British people) more tolerable and less annoying than their counterparts. The boys were freely saying stuff like "fuck" right in front of their parents and it was nothing. I find that rather charming.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:01 pm

legitimatebeef wrote: British tourist family

Big fan of the "cultured" British accent. When the Brits, Scots and Irish start talking fast and using slang, they lose me completely. I still remember listening in on a conversation between an older member and the lady collecting green fees at Ballybunion. When they were done, we all shared a laugh when I said something like, "I am pretty sure you were speaking English but I haven't the foggiest idea what you were talking about." Turns out they would throw in some Gaelic to keep nosy tourists like me from eaves dropping.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:07 am

It's a wonder JP and I don't have to type slowly too! :lol:
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:04 am

I went to the range with an expensive dry fit shirt this morning. From 645-8 am.

I came home and literally rang my shirt out. It is so nasty outside.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:17 pm

Just curious, how often do you buy new wedges? Mine shouldn't be that old but feel like they have already lost some spin. Of course, it could be that the golf ball upgrade is trading distance for spin.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Not often enough.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:35 am

GBOGEY wrote:Just curious, how often do you buy new wedges? Mine shouldn't be that old but feel like they have already lost some spin. Of course, it could be that the golf ball upgrade is trading distance for spin.

Bob Vokey suggests every 70 rounds or so, assuming practice in between rounds too. Frankly, that is a bit too costly for me, so I try to change them every season and a half. I used to use a groove sharpener to extend the life of the old square-groove style wedges. I could easily get 2 full seasons of 120+ days each, plus practice a few days a week, out of them. With the newer-style V-grooves, I have not found a good, rules legal sharpener that I trust.

I just put a new set of Vokey SM6s in the bag in March. I've got about 60-65 rounds on them, plus almost-daily short game practice. So far, they are still spinning nicely.

FWIW, I pretty much play only ProVs or similar urethane-covered, 3-piece balls (like an MG-C4). I would imagine a pure distance ball might not work as well.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:34 am

DougE wrote:
GBOGEY wrote:Just curious, how often do you buy new wedges? Mine shouldn't be that old but feel like they have already lost some spin. Of course, it could be that the golf ball upgrade is trading distance for spin.

Bob Vokey suggests every 70 rounds or so, assuming practice in between rounds too.

You cannot take the advice of someone whose livelihood is selling wedges as the gospel truth on this matter. There might some bias going on. :fkno
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:21 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
DougE wrote:

Bob Vokey suggests every 70 rounds or so, assuming practice in between rounds too.

You cannot take the advice of someone whose livelihood is selling wedges as the gospel truth on this matter. There might some bias going on. :fkno

For that reason alone, I do not change my wedges per his suggestion. However, as soon as I see that my spin isn't as obvious as it was, I start thinking about new wedges. The first time I play a shot for spin, hit it like I intended, and don't get that spin I expected, I usually start looking for a deal on new Vokeys.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:39 pm

I have about 40 different wedge sets at home. I found one that I really like made by Scratch Golf. I haven't replaced them in far too long.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:53 pm

DougE wrote:Bob Vokey suggests every 70 rounds or so, assuming practice in between rounds too. Frankly, that is a bit too costly for me, so I try to change them every season and a half. I used to use a groove sharpener to extend the life of the old square-groove style wedges. I could easily get 2 full seasons of 120+ days each, plus practice a few days a week, out of them. With the newer-style V-grooves, I have not found a good, rules legal sharpener that I trust.

I usually change my grips about every 40 rounds and the industry says you should every 20. I probably play about 70 rounds per year when you include how much I practice, so if you consider that I plan on changing wedges about every 2 years I'm again about double the industry. Probably will stick with that plan for now.

JPJ
dogs: 0

Postby JPJ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:19 am

MattF wrote:It's a wonder JP and I don't have to type slowly too! :lol:

It seems like we might have to start.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:28 pm

This summer has sucked for golf. It's either been 100 damn degrees or rainstorms every day. The forecast is looking better for this weekend though, I might try to get out to Mid Carolina Saturday morning if the guys are playing and need a fourth.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:39 am

Fucking short game. I played what I thought was a pretty tight round. Hit it well off the tee. Didn't suck at putting, didn't suck at approaches, but short game 'strokes gained' stat was worse than ever. Only fucked up a couple of chips, just the accuracy from within 100 yds is killing me. Most of my approaches with wedges or short irons. Need to learn to aim for the middle of the green. Damn, scoring in the 70's seems like some impossible feat when you play what you think is a pretty tidy round and walk away with a 91.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:35 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Fucking short game. I played what I thought was a pretty tight round. Hit it well off the tee. Didn't suck at putting, didn't suck at approaches, but short game 'strokes gained' stat was worse than ever. Only fucked up a couple of chips, just the accuracy from within 100 yds is killing me. Most of my approaches with wedges or short irons. Need to learn to aim for the middle of the green. Damn, scoring in the 70's seems like some impossible feat when you play what you think is a pretty tidy round and walk away with a 91.

You are right on the money. It's all about the short game. I suck off the tee, distance-wise. Though I usually keep it playable off the tee, my distance is not usually very good. An occasional 230-yarder or more, but for the most part, somewhat less. (Though hopeful my drives will get longer now that I am making a swing change that has been instructed by an actual teaching pro, rather than an internet video.) My wedge game is where I can keep up with the guy who can drive it 275 or more (as long as he too doesn't have a great short game).

I agree with you, 70s once felt impossible. By working hard on my short game over the last 6 or 7 years--particularly less-than-full-swing wedge shots--I have been able to shoot in the 70s, occasionally. Though I am usually in the low 80s, the 70s no longer seem so unrealistic. Drop a few putts or have no three putts and lo and behold you shot 70-something. It really can happen with a good short game as long as your long game keeps you in play. But when you have a challenged short game, or a long game which can put you in the woods, that spells doubles and sometimes even triples, or worse. Hard to get in the 70s with more than a couple of those.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:29 am

Thanks for the feedback. My contact with wedges is spotty. I've been busy lately, but got to get back to the little course to work on wedge accuracy and making solid contact, flighting them lower with more spin, control the distance better.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:My contact with wedges is spotty.

Mine has been shockingly bad

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Hit a few balls in a stall adjacent to an instructor giving a lesson. Pupil was a woman around 50-60, not particularly good but you could tell she has made many swings in her life. The objective was to practice hitting from inside to out. Swinging out to the right. A straight edged impact bag was placed along the swing path, pointing right. It was painful to watch as well as to listen to the guy attempt to explain every swing. "See what you did there was..." The woman had a natural over the top move that made drawing impossible and she frequently hit the bag on the downswing. The best she could do was some weak pulls. I tell you it is a tough business for the average golf teacher.
insufficient data

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”