Random golf thoughts

bryan k

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby bryan k » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:23 pm

My instructor uses those Styrofoam things. They have a silly name. He put one in a spot where I would have had to hit it to make an outside-in swing, and he let me go at it for a while. The problem that most folks who have an over-the-top swing have is that once they fix the swing path, they have to work on all kinds of other things to keep the ball from shanking. The fact of the matter is, when I take a swing with the perfect swing path and wrist motion, it feels like the ball is going to sail way off to the right. But if I keep the club-head angle correct, the result is a draw. It's very, very, very counter-intuitive.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:04 am

This game is interesting. My "feel" is the exact opposite. My problem is coming way from the inside and getting stuck. So for me really rotating my hips and a feeling of being over the top is the only way to start the ball online. My current swing thought is the Sean Foley version of tiger when he would rehearse that massive follow through to the left.

When I do that the ball starts on line and has a little baby fade (which personally I like better than a draw, because I have hit them my entire life and see the ball fading better than drawing).
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:34 am

jasonfish11 wrote:My current swing thought is the Sean Foley version of tiger when he would rehearse that massive follow through to the left.

Makes me worried man. Then again I am probably the last person on earth should be worrying someone else's swing.
everyone is gay

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Over the course of my time playing this game, I have struggled just as much with a duck hook as I have with a monster slice. The difference is that the duck hook still nets me over 200 yards and usually remains in play (though in some ugly predicaments). The monster slice balloons out of control and over houses, into streets, down hills, and into the ocean.

So yeah....when I'm beleaguered by my monster slice, I will leave 5-10 penalty strokes on the course. When I'm beleaguered by my duck hook, it will only cost me 2-3 strokes depending on how much water that particular course has on the left side.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:16 am

Just found out I'm playing Tpc River Highlands next Thr... Excited, but wish I was playing well.
I'm gonna shoot for the course record.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:27 am

Coda1850 wrote:I'm gonna shoot for the course record.

On which 9?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:31 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:I'm gonna shoot for the course record.

On which 9?

:rofl ...never said anything about going low.

Mark unread?

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 am

Coda1850 wrote:Just found out I'm playing Tpc River Highlands next Thr... Excited, but wish I was playing well.

I always wanted to play there. Lived in Hartford for a while and marshaled the travelers for years but never made it. Let us know how it goes.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:51 am

jattruia wrote:
Coda1850 wrote:Just found out I'm playing Tpc River Highlands next Thr... Excited, but wish I was playing well.

I always wanted to play there. Lived in Hartford for a while and marshaled the travelers for years but never made it. Let us know how it goes.

I've played a tourney there 2 or 3 times but this year it got switched over to The Ranch. I had 1 other chance to play my ball thru in a regular 18 but it got rained out & we never got back. The President of 1 of my vendors has a membership there... this shit better not get rained out again. It is a fun course.

Mark unread?

jattruia

Postby jattruia » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Coda1850 wrote:I've played a tourney there 2 or 3 times but this year it got switched over to The Ranch. I had 1 other chance to play my ball thru in a regular 18 but it got rained out & we never got back. The President of 1 of my vendors has a membership there... this shit better not get rained out again. It is a fun course.
[/quote]

Now The Ranch i've played a number of times; that's a really fun track. We tried to get out there at least once or twice a year. Unfortunately we also played across the street from time to time.

Let us know how TPC is. Good luck!

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:37 pm

TPC should be in great shape right now. I, too, have been to many Travelers Championships there when I lived in Connecticut, but have never played it. Always wanted to. They had a member-for-a-day deal a couple years back. It was somewhere in the $150-200 range if memory serves. I couldn't justify it financially.

Enjoy it.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:11 pm

Watching some of this here "FedEx Cup" playoffs, at Bethpage Black this week. It's actually getting me excited about playing there again. The flame may have gone out but a tiny ember still burns.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Thought I was going to be (by association) kicked off a golf course on Saturday. Geez.

Was invited by a vendor at work to join in a match his friend was setting up. The format was two man captains choice, no strokes no mullies, six teams $20 bet. I got my buddy Scott as a teammate and met them at the course. I knew none of these guys except my friend through work.

Turns out there were only five teams, and one guy brought his son to tag along, which gave us some weird pairings instead of three foursomes. We went out as a foursome, the me and my pal as a twosome, then the remaining group wanted to play as five. Whatever.

So we were going along pretty quick since playing a scramble and everyone hitting the ball okay, not digging through the woods looking for balls. By about number five we we had left the guys behind us behind, and were waved up to join the guys ahead, which is what the group organizer wanted. So we did, and played out the nine with three teams. Having fun, moving along and still way ahead of the guys behibd us.

And then we were about to putt on number nine and the Pro comes out of the clubhouse screaming at us for having six players on the green. We were "disrespecting HIS golf course" apparently. Attempts to apologize, and explain that we were moving fast playing a scramble were blown off. "I'm going to need you to either split into two threesomes, or leave." We tried explaining that were were in a team match and could we go two and four. Flatly, "No". By this time the pro had still not seen the fivesome behind us...

Anyway, apologies and requests to just let us get going were rudely declined. "We don't want to send a Marshall out to follow you make sure you don't pair up again". "Are you calling me a liar?" "I'm never spending another dime at this place again" Etc etc

Anyway some dudes went in for refunds. Scott and I said fuck it and just teed off on the back as a twosome anyway and continued our scramble to see what we could do. We had four birdies and three bogies to finish one under for the 18. Not too bad for two average players I guess. I hit the ball pretty good, but what a weird day.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm

By the way my vendor friend brought another client for his teammate who was a total ringer, mid 30s former college player who was ripping his drives no joke 300+ every time dead straight. They were four under on the front.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:47 pm

I just got the email regarding the Charwood Club Championship, and realize in ten years I'll be eligible to play in the senior flight.

Dammit

:shock: :o

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:29 pm

I wonder what Mr. Etiquette would say about your little sausage party on the 9th green..... grandpa.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:33 am

everyone is gay

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:06 am

I like that movie!

It always seems like the rangers are nowhere to be found when I'm having to deal with slow players in front of me, but gosh forbid, my group falls a half a hole behind....

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:30 am

Mondays seem to go much better when the Sunday round was a good one versus what happened yesterday. Really puts a down feeling on the beginning of the week.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:12 am

It's been 25 days since I've played. Haven't even touched a club. Getting out Fri. & Tue tho. I'm going to have to at least get to the range before Friday. Oh boy! Who knows how it's gonna go?!?!

Mark unread?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Whatever happened to "Stack N' Tilt"?? Does anyone on Tour still use that method? Anyone ever convert to that style?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:14 pm

I do it sometimes by accident. It's called a reverse pivot.

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Aaron Baddeley and Charlie Wie are the only guys I can think of on the PGA Tour who were still using the S&T swing as recently as a couple years ago.

I actually used parts of it for a year or two back maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Though I do not use anything like it anymore, there were some things from it that really helped my iron play/consistency. I use a proper shift now instead of keeping a lot of weight on the front foot throughout the swing, which is the primary fundamental in the S&T swing. But, the S&T concept did help me a lot with trapping the ball and taking a divot after the ball. I rarely, if ever, get stuck on my back foot with an iron shot. Also, my short game, particularly chipping, grew into the most solid part of my game, I think, in part, due to the nearly-all-weight-forward style I use which I adapted from S&T. However, I also wonder if the S&T swing elements I used back then contributed to a bad right shoulder/rotator cuff impingement injury I suffered after a season of using it. Typically, with a proper swing and weight transfer, the lead shoulder (left side for righties) is the shoulder that should be more vulnerable, not the right one.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:03 pm

In a Bob Dylan kind of mood. "I'm stuck behind my torso with the arm-swing illusion blues again..."
everyone is gay

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:31 am

I'm playing tomorrow. I haven't touched a club in 3 weeks? A month maybe? Whatever. I don't give a fuck. All piss & vinegar but I did plug the Game Golf in so it's ready for tomorrow...

Mark unread?

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”