I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:44 pm

jfurr wrote:I've broken 90 only once this year :(

And had multiple 100+ rounds :(

Then again you've only played, what, like five rounds this year?! That's what it seems like at least. If it's any consolation I have not fared much better, and that's after a lot of practicing and obsessing and hand-wringing. You are not doing that bad. Believe me.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:45 pm

Great, now I can't stop ironically saying dumb shit like 'believe me'.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:01 am

I'm playing golf today. 8-)

Probably won't finish 18 due to our late tee time but you know what? That's not important. :school
everyone is gay

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:11 pm

My text alert is a screaming Fore. Everyone but me thinks it says whore. For some reason the wife thinks it's funny when it sounds like my phone is yelling whore at whatever we're watching... like when it fits mid-scene or something. Silly.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:35 am

Been reading the good book lately. Ben Hogan's Modern Fundamentals of Golf. So naturally I am going to get all preachy and sanctimonious on your ass. Here is a good passage that I feel is relevant to our lives in 2016 2017.

Once the average golfer is properly started on the correct method of hitting the golf ball, he will begin to improve and to feel that improvement, and he will gradually find that he is able to hit fine, full shots and to hit the ball high, low, draw it, fade it, play sand shots, recoveries, half shots--ALL THIS WITHOUT CHANGING HIS SWING. The swing itself is what gives you this feel for managing this full variety of golf shots. As he improves, the average golfer will enjoy the game more and more, for a correct swing will enable him to rediscover golf-in fact, to discover golf for the first time. He will have the necessary equipment, the full "vocabulary" for golf. He's going to see a different game entirely.

He will, in short, absorb the spirit of the game. When he hits a poor shot and leaves himself with a difficult recovery, he'll respond to the challenge of having to play a difficult shot extra well in order to make up for his error. If there's a small opening to the green, he will respond to that challenge of having to hit a more accurate shot than he usually does or pay the just consequences. He will feel this way about golf because he will know he has an essentially correct, repeating swing and that he can, with moderate concentration, produce the shot that is called for. He will make errors, of course, because he is human, but he will be a golfer and the game will be a source of ever-increasing pleasure for him.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 pm

Air Jordan golf shoes...

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:53 pm

jfurr wrote:Air Jordan golf shoes...

These are going to look like the original Air Jordan's. I hope they have a spikeless pair.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:36 pm

They say familiarity breeds contempt. Having said that, lately I am feeling really f'n familiar with the Chelsea Piers driving range. :fkno :fkno :fkno
everyone is gay

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 am

World Number One Golfer Dustin Johnson
from Columbia, SC
used to play Charwood
witnesses say he hit a 3 iron onto the green on par four #9 on blue course when he was in high school

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 am

jfurr wrote:World Number One Golfer Dustin Johnson
from Columbia, SC
used to play Charwood
witnesses say he hit a 3 iron onto the green on par four #9 on blue course when he was in high school

What do you hit off the tee on #9 "Blue?" Best score there is??

And speaking of scores & golf, how is your preparation for the Golf Buddy trip coming? Make sure the sweet swing is grooved and ready. ;)
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:20 am

from Columbia, SC
used to play Charwood

everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:And speaking of scores & golf, how is your preparation for the Golf Buddy trip coming? Make sure the sweet swing is grooved and ready. ;)

Better be ready! Some big golf events lined up for the Furrman. After the big buddy trip comes bigass Bethpage Black. :banana
everyone is gay

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:54 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
from Columbia, SC
used to play Charwood

What do you hit off the tee on #9 "Blue?" Best score there is??

And speaking of scores & golf, how is your preparation for the Golf Buddy trip coming? Make sure the sweet swing is grooved and ready. ;)

Number 9 is a downhill straight par4 hole. I usually either hit hybrid 4 to out me about 110 out on a good strike (from middle tee), or wail on driver which I have run up beside the green several times. I've also put it in the bunker right in front of the green. The only defense on the hole is the center bunker in front and the postage stamp sized green. I've birdied it but I've also witnessed chip in eagle.

Dustin hit 3 iron from the back tee which adds maybe 20 yards to the hole. Actually it could have been a 5 iron. One of my old pals has played with him.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:55 am

I am mentally preparing but my range work has been fraught with issues. I really want to get out and play but overloaded with commitments right now.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Having not played alot of golf recently - I'm ready as fuck for the good weather & bad golf in my somewhat near future!
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Went to hit some balls this morning. On the way there was a big commotion at 5th ave and 21st street, tons of people gathered on the sidewalk and heavy police/security presence. Turns out I rode my jalopy bike right past this VIP. This is like the third time I've crossed paths with the guy.

Looking back even though at the time I wasn't aware of what was going on, but there was a definite feeling of HOPE in the air. :gay
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Steve Stricker, in his Champions Tour debut, is currently beating in the brains of his competition.

The Champions Tour is not your typical sports league. Here, the new guys are the ones with the advantage. :lolz
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:31 pm

At some point I ended up with a free sub to Golf Digest. All it does since it started showing up is pile up. Finally I placed an issue in the bathroom, where it could enjoy a captive audience. Let me tell you, I could not even get through one GD issue. Even a cursory thumb-thru proved too much to bear. I skipped to the final page, a sort of compilation of fun insults you can use to annoy your "golfing buddies", such as "Condoleeza Slice" :facepalm

I say all this not as some snot-nose punk trying to give the finger to the establishment (which I will admit, is typically what I am/do) but to make the point that the Magazine as a beloved media format, is in serious trouble. They just don't read well in 2017. We are too accustomed to digital media and seeking out our own articles of interest. We are done, I believe, being a captive audience to things like magazines.
everyone is gay

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Golf Digest

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:09 pm

I think everyone who has ever held a golf club has a free subscription to Golf Digest. I get two copies because my GAM membership includes one and when one attends the golf show, there is a free subscription. I typically assign one to our office.

Some time ago they changed the font and color scheme. Some of the info is unreadable without a very bright light because of the graphics. And like you, I find many of the features to be snooze worthy. My copies go in my bathroom, too.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:02 am

I used to have multiple subscriptions to Golf Digest, but somehow now I have a free subscription to GOLF, and Golf Digest doesn't show up anymore. Can't remember what I did, or purchased, to receive any of them.

You are correct Beef. The way we look at magazines today is very different than even 20 years ago. If we want info on anything, or video, we can find it easier, and explained more thoroughly, on-line. Both Golf Digest and GOLF have on-line versions now offering all the video content you can imagine, but their print versions are what keep them profitable. Not through magazine sales, but through print advertising sales. And if they don't have the high circulation numbers, advertisers will not pay premium rates for ad space. So, by giving virtually every golfer in the world a way to have a free subscription, it keeps their circulation much higher, generating higher ad dollars. It's a simple, and often used strategy within pretty much the entire commercial publishing industry.

But, you probably already knew that.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 am

Did you purchase a membership with a skycaddie? You do get a free subscription with that.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:10 pm

I have to admit I get both magazines and read them pretty thoroughly every month. Don't take a lot of it too seriously, especially the plethora of tips, but it's good airplane reading.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:33 pm

I surprised the head pro at the course next to my house today. First off the guy is a total ass hat and the main reason I rarely play that course it does have a nice practice facility though. Example today before I buy my range balls he was on the phone with some guy he pulls the phone away from his head and does a "blah blah blah" signal to me.

Anyways today he wanted to tell me about how they dethatched the greens and the head greens keeper is talking about getting them to run at 12-13 on the stimp later this spring. I responded "great 5.5 hour rounds". The look on his face was great. He wasn't thinking I would find super slick greens to be a negative.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 pm

So I just got the head nod from my wife that once we finish the front flower beds this weekend (they are massive) the next "project" for our house is my golf "hitting bay."

I'm going to put it in my garage for now. I have enough head room to swing all of my irons but not enough to swing Dr, 3w or 3h. That will work for now. If my son gets into golf I think I'll move everything up to the room over my garage (FROG room) which has a slanted ceiling that is about 14' high for the majority of it.

I just want to make sure my home made net will be able to hold up, given that the FROG room I have to hit straight at a massive window. I don't want to find out the replacement cost of the window.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”