Random golf thoughts

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Random golf thoughts

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Hit a few balls at Randall's Island today. They were doing a demo day. I overheard the cashier explaining the deal to someone: for $25, you get to hit all the latest clubs from blah blah blah, you get this, you get that, you get a small bucket of balls, and... you get a hot dog. I almost lost my shit at that part. Anyways the range was playing directly downwind today. The ball was going far. I thought to myself Hey, good for the demo day people. Because I bet they sell way more clubs than on a strong headwind day. I felt glad for them.
everyone is gay

Coda1850

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby Coda1850 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:32 pm

I found out today I'm playing at The Orchards again. Excited, but still haven't played much golf this year... hopefully by then I can put more than a few good shots together.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu May 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Okay so I can't even remember the last time I played. But I have some big golf course-related news today.

I am now registered in the Bethpage tee time system. :cry:

I have a second cousin from California coming around next month to check out some colleges. He plays on his high school team. So schedule permitting, I am planning to take him to the dreaded BLACK course. It will help him to become a man, I think.
everyone is gay

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Fri May 06, 2016 1:26 am

Better break 100. Oh, and if you score better than double on 15, I'll give you a dollar.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri May 06, 2016 12:54 pm

There was this woman behind me at the range, a very slight middle-aged asian woman, hitting balls with a single iron. I think it was the worst sustained attempt at hitting golf balls I have ever seen. How else can I put this. She was trying to swing it as slow as possible. I wondered if she was somehow handicapped. But no, she would do this full follow through (in a pitiful attempt to make the ball go farther way after the fact) so she appeared to have full use of limbs etc. I think she was just suffering from an extremely bad perception of how golf works. How basic physics works actually. I could have swore she was trying to slow the club down enough near impact so that she could not strike, but rather scoop and lift the ball up in the air. But the majority of the swings would barely skim the top of the ball. Nothing went farther than the nearest range target, about 30 yards. She spent a lot of time over the ball. Then every minute or so I could hear behind me the tiniest possible "click" of the leading edge barely brushing the ball. At first all this drove me crazy and I wanted to move stalls. But then I figured I should stop being so sensitive to distractions and carry on which I did. Eventually I got annoyed again. She would hit a few, then make like she was going to go sit down on a bench, and then change her mind and go back for more swings. The whole time she never once made it to the bench. Would really have liked to know what was going through her mind. Never ever seen someone struggle so bad to put a club on a ball.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri May 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:Better break 100. Oh, and if you score better than double on 15, I'll give you a dollar.

You are on, chief. You can paypal it to me. Reminds me of a story. First time I played there I pounded a drive on 15. Then I scraped a 7i that barely carried to the green and finished five feet above the hole. The putt caught some lip. Thinking back to that reminds me of how different things were. This was like 2008. I played the white tees and broke 90. My technique was horrible, I mean even worse than it is now, but I had so much confidence. I really had little clue as to how bad I was. I was also much happier. :cry:
everyone is gay

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Funny story Beef! But now you are wiser... and better. :clap:
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 pm

I have a tee-time this Saturday at Bethpage Black. :?
everyone is gay

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:10 pm

Didn't know that you can get a tee time there. Thought you had to camp out?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 am

Nope, anyone can register with the phone system and get tee times. 7 days advance for NY'ers and 2 days everyone else. The first few times of the day as well as a few every hour are for walkups. That's what they camp out for. I guess some people get off on being the first out. Totally unnecessary though.
everyone is gay

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:23 am

legitimatebeef wrote:I have a tee-time this Saturday at Bethpage Black. :?

Whoop! :thumbup:
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:40 am

Are you going to post the mess on SkyGolf360 or keep the results secret?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:58 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:

Are you going to post the mess on SkyGolf360 or keep the results secret?

Don't worry. I'll post my last few scores. I'm just putting it off for some reason.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:22 pm

Just dropped into the range, see what condition my condition's in. Heading into a round on one of the toughest courses in the free world. How did this even happen? As I said I will be playing with my teenage 2nd cousin, who I've never met before. Last weekend I was only able to get us a Saturday tee time on the red course. Still I kept calling and calling, checking for black course cancellations and finally last night one opened up for 1:18. He is excited about it, as he should be. BPB is hosting the Barclays this year, then Ryder Cup and a major in next few years.

I am freaking the f out. Can't sit still. All jittery with anticipation. At the range I swung it decent yet still freaking out, because the feels are still new. I think if I can manage to trust it I will do alright. BK assumes the round will be a mess but you don't know that. You don't know that! Anyways last time out I really was a mess. Much better shape this time around. Breaking 100 is a priority but breaking 90 is really the goal.

Part of the intimidation is the sheer physicality. Even you didn't take a single swing, just hiked the course with a golf bag, that alone would be a challenge. I hope the kid has some strength. I'm feeling in decent shape to take it on. Luckily I ran a few miles last weekend, and then week before I walked and carried 14 holes at Marine Park. So there's been a tiny bit of conditioning at least. Made sure to do my weightlifting earlier in the week so as to be fresh and not all blown out and sore like usual.

Freakin out. Please help.
everyone is gay

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:58 pm

legitimatebeef wrote: Breaking 100 is a priority but breaking 90 is really the goal...Freakin out. Please help.

It is just a number. 8-)
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Wish BK was just a little more supportive. Anyhows there is some weather being forecast right now. Long Island will be at the edge of the storm so not too worried about that. It is going to be windy though probably, as it has been pretty much every day lately. 6700 from the white tees is not exactly short, and in the wind probably going to need to hit driver often. I say bring it on. Going to pack about a dozen balls and just let em fly. If God wants to take them so be it. Anyways BPB isn't really a lose-your-balls course. There's one water hazard if I recall, and it's hardly intimidating. This course is all about fairway bunkering and rough. It's not even really a tree-course. It's not a tough putting course either. So what's the big deal then? I'm not sure. A lot of it is hype. Still freaking out though. I put a new grip on the putter, that calmed me down a tiny bit.
everyone is gay

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Sounds like you need a new grip on the driver too! If you have confidence in your driver (6700 is not a dinky course by any means, at least not for me), just pummel it down the middle. On the odd case that you miss the fairway, wedge it back to the fairway and don't try to be a hero. Then confidence in your short game, and there you have it, 90 should be in the cards.
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:22 pm

I like that you are talking about playing the course at 6,700 yards. Hope you get a decent pair of guys to play with. I tend to worry about my "guest" in a similar situation and often played distracted. Try not to let something similar happen to you.

You will do fine. Stay loose and care free, nothing is riding on this. We are all jealous that you have the opportunity to play such a primo course. :thumbup:
Let's Play 36

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:52 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Just dropped into the range, see what condition my condition's in. Heading into a round on one of the toughest courses in the free world. How did this even happen? As I said I will be playing with my teenage 2nd cousin, who I've never met before. Last weekend I was only able to get us a Saturday tee time on the red course. Still I kept calling and calling, checking for black course cancellations and finally last night one opened up for 1:18. He is excited about it, as he should be. BPB is hosting the Barclays this year, then Ryder Cup and a major in next few years.

I am freaking the f out. Can't sit still. All jittery with anticipation. At the range I swung it decent yet still freaking out, because the feels are still new. I think if I can manage to trust it I will do alright. BK assumes the round will be a mess but you don't know that. You don't know that! Anyways last time out I really was a mess. Much better shape this time around. Breaking 100 is a priority but breaking 90 is really the goal.

Part of the intimidation is the sheer physicality. Even you didn't take a single swing, just hiked the course with a golf bag, that alone would be a challenge. I hope the kid has some strength. I'm feeling in decent shape to take it on. Luckily I ran a few miles last weekend, and then week before I walked and carried 14 holes at Marine Park. So there's been a tiny bit of conditioning at least. Made sure to do my weightlifting earlier in the week so as to be fresh and not all blown out and sore like usual.

Freakin out. Please help.

Got an opening in your foursome? I'm up for a walk and carry on a tough course even with my shitty game at present plus being 45(+)
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:19 pm

Start with low expectations - trying to break 100 is a start. And just look around and enjoy.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:52 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:I like that you are talking about playing the course at 6,700 yards. Hope you get a decent pair of guys to play with. I tend to worry about my "guest" in a similar situation and often played distracted. Try not to let something similar happen to you.

You will do fine. Stay loose and care free, nothing is riding on this.

I think so. This'll be my only goal: make smooth, fluidy swings along the target line. Leave the rest to God.

GBOGEY wrote:And just look around and enjoy.

Yeah right. Between trying to keep the ball under control and taking pix of everything, no time to enjoy really. It will be fun though. Xtreme sports.
everyone is gay

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:27 am

I'm ready now! Would tee off right now if I could!!! :x Last time I played black was very reluctantly, for a friend who was about to move back to Canada and really wanted us to play it. Swing was in a bad condition. But this time I am going into it with nostrils flared, fists raised and some spring in my step. Ready for a fight.
everyone is gay

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:50 am

Move up another tee.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:50 am

CeeBee wrote:Move up another tee.

Sound advice - play the right tees - on a course like that the longer tees can be a double nightmare.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:53 am

So it turns out that my golf game is crap. The course might have unceremoniously exposed the weakness of my golf skills, but on the other hand it also revealed that my fitness game is in good shape. I feel fresh. I could take on the stupid course again right now. Yesterday evening I walked up the very steep 18th hole with posture straight and some springiness left in the legs. At least I got that going for me. :?
everyone is gay

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”