Random golf thoughts

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:42 pm

One of the trickiest challenges in all of golf is reaching out with your bare hand and scooping up a ball that's on the ground, while driving the cart, at full speed.

It always seems like it's going to be so easy, and then you make a fool of yourself. What seems like an easy reach out and grab, actually requires some flexibility, hand-eye coordination, and multi-tasking.

I haven't been playing on the course but I've been whacking balls on the opposite end of a driving range and they let you take a cart out there. Along the way there's lots of stray balls on the ground, so I've been practicing.
everyone is gay

User avatar
MattF
Posts: 857
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby MattF » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 am

I fell out of the cart, while driving, doing that. All I could do is look around to see who saw (no one) and laugh.
Throw me another ball will ya!

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:14 am

I spend a little over a week on vacation. I noticed every golf website is fully digesting tigers 5th "comeback". Well all but one site and for that I say thank you legitimategolf
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
srogers13
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby srogers13 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:27 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I spend a little over a week on vacation. I noticed every golf website is fully digesting tigers 5th "comeback". Well all but one site and for that I say thank you legitimategolf

Thanks for messing that up, Fish. :cmon :facepalm
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:53 pm

If your golf bag has tiny little pockets for tees, and you actually use them to hold tees, then chances are you suck at golf.
everyone is gay

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby jfurr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:15 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:If your golf bag has tiny little pockets for tees, and you actually use them to hold tees, then chances are you suck at golf.


When I get a new bag with those, I always fill it up once, then never again :P
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby DougE » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 am

Okay, so you know my trick about heating up golf balls on cold days and putting them in your insulated pocket on your golf bag? I've been using this technique for years. Well yesterday was the first time I thought I might need to do it this fall. It was in the low 40s overnight and I left my clubs in the garage. My supply of golf balls in my bag got a bit cold overnight, so I thought I would warm a few up for the 11 am tee time I had scheduled, to make sure I did not have to hit a cold rock off the first tee. I grabbed a handful of balls and put them on my workbench, then lowered a heatlamp above them, making sure they were positioned evenly under the bulb. I went inside to get ready. I showered, did my pre-round yoga stretches, chipped 20 or 30 balls in the carpeted basement, got dressed and headed out the door into the garage.

I had no plans to leave the heat lamp on the golf balls for that long of time. As I stepped out the door, I immediately realized I forgot to shut off the heat lamp, as the smell of burning rubber hit me smack in the face. OMG, holy shit, my new ProVs! I look over on the bench and can see smoke rising off the balls. The rubber inside was boiling through the cover and collecting on the outside like a molten lava. Oops.

Lesson learned. If you are going to heat up your golf balls before playing in the cold, don't put the heat lamp too close for too long. :facepalm

(As it turned out, I only cooked four balls badly, and there was only one new ProV in that group. The others were last year's model, one DT TruSoft and a found TaylorMade Project A. The rest of the new model Pro Vs made it through without seeming to be damaged, at least not obviously, looking at the outside. They were not directly under the heat lamp, but more to the outside of the group.)

User avatar
legitimatebeef
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:34 pm
Location: island off the coast of america
dogs: 1
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am

You could've burned down the whole place :nope
everyone is gay

User avatar
jasonfish11
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
dogs: 2
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:09 am

legitimatebeef wrote:You could've burned down the whole place :nope


Yeah my thought was "hmmm...How bad does your golf budget get blown out of the water if you have to buy a new house?"
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby DougE » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:17 am

Yeah, that wouda sucked.

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby bryan k » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:04 pm

jfurr wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:If your golf bag has tiny little pockets for tees, and you actually use them to hold tees, then chances are you suck at golf.


When I get a new bag with those, I always fill it up once, then never again :P


So do I. And then I never use them, so it stays filled. I think there was that one round back in 1996 when I actually ran out of tees, and I had those ones to tide me over to the 19th hole.

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby bryan k » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:05 pm

So...out of curiosity...have you ever tried boiling them in water to warm them?

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby DougE » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:10 pm

bryan k wrote:So...out of curiosity...have you ever tried boiling them in water to warm them?


Not a good idea. The heating of them in water will allow the plastic cover, whether urethane or other, to absorb moisture, which can change the weight. The same thing happens to a ball sitting in a pond for a long period. It can become water-logged. Boiling moves the process along much, much faster.

Working in the marine industry for so long, it is common knowledge that solid gelcoat is not impervious to water penetration. Fiberglass boats absorb water. Certainly not a rate that wood ones do, but a fiberglass boat that sits in the water all year, compared to the exact same boat that is only in the water for a few months, will weigh substantially more, solely due to water retention. I have seen boats that have a listed weight of 18K pounds, weigh in (on a travelift) at over 22,000 after sitting in the water for a few years.

My guess is most of you here on this golf site don't know much about gelcoat blisters on boat hulls, so I won't go into the details of it here. However, to make my point, it is a very common problem with boats that spend a lot of time in warmer waters, as opposed to the cooler waters of the Northeast. (It happens in the Northeast too, just not at the high rate it does in lower latitudes.) That alone, is a reason to not put golf balls in boiling water to warm them, knowing that the warmer the water, the more inclined the plastic will be to expand, which opens the pores and allows water to be absorbed into and through the cover. Hence, my reason for not boiling them. Water-logged balls feel like rocks off a clubface.

I have always used a heat lamp on them for a few minutes or even a heat gun to warm them up. But the key words here are, "for a few minutes." I screwed up this time by placing the bulb too close, then forgetting about them, and then leaving the shop to go do other stuff.

Oh, and BTW, I don't think microwaving them is a good idea either. At least I won't be trying it. I just see an explosion happening and ruining the microwave oven and God only knows what else.

I just need to pay more attention next time.

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby jfurr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 pm

The temperature dropped quickly today silupposes to be down in the 30’s tonight. And I’m playing in a charity scramble tomorrow. Not excited about playing in the cold
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby jfurr » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks spellcheck. “Supposed”
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
bryan k
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby bryan k » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:36 pm

DougE wrote:
bryan k wrote:So...out of curiosity...have you ever tried boiling them in water to warm them?


Not a good idea. The heating of them in water will allow the plastic cover, whether urethane or other, to absorb moisture, which can change the weight. The same thing happens to a ball sitting in a pond for a long period. It can become water-logged. Boiling moves the process along much, much faster.

Working in the marine industry for so long, it is common knowledge that solid gelcoat is not impervious to water penetration. Fiberglass boats absorb water. Certainly not a rate that wood ones do, but a fiberglass boat that sits in the water all year, compared to the exact same boat that is only in the water for a few months, will weigh substantially more, solely due to water retention. I have seen boats that have a listed weight of 18K pounds, weigh in (on a travelift) at over 22,000 after sitting in the water for a few years.

My guess is most of you here on this golf site don't know much about gelcoat blisters on boat hulls, so I won't go into the details of it here. However, to make my point, it is a very common problem with boats that spend a lot of time in warmer waters, as opposed to the cooler waters of the Northeast. (It happens in the Northeast too, just not at the high rate it does in lower latitudes.) That alone, is a reason to not put golf balls in boiling water to warm them, knowing that the warmer the water, the more inclined the plastic will be to expand, which opens the pores and allows water to be absorbed into and through the cover. Hence, my reason for not boiling them. Water-logged balls feel like rocks off a clubface.

I have always used a heat lamp on them for a few minutes or even a heat gun to warm them up. But the key words here are, "for a few minutes." I screwed up this time by placing the bulb too close, then forgetting about them, and then leaving the shop to go do other stuff.

Oh, and BTW, I don't think microwaving them is a good idea either. At least I won't be trying it. I just see an explosion happening and ruining the microwave oven and God only knows what else.

I just need to pay more attention next time.


Learn something new every day.

I figure that when I played back in Fargo, a golf ball that stayed in play an entire round probably spent about three hours wet, and I never noticed it affect anything.

Putting golf balls under a heat lamp sounds kind of dangerous to me, though. There has to be a better way!

I wouldn't microwave them either, by the way. I've seen what microwave ovens do to plastic.

User avatar
DougE
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Maryland
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby DougE » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:25 am

3 hours of wet will not hurt a golf ball, unless all the pores in the cover plastic are open (like in boiling water). They pretty much need to be submerged for a long while to absorb moisture. It's a very slow process without heat opening up the pores and aiding the process. Balls sitting in a pond for a month or two probably would not show any signs of being water-logged. However, when I pull balls out of ponds, I only consider using the ones that are close to the edge that I can reach without too much effort, and not any sitting down in mud. This way I know they haven't been there more than a couple days. Someone else would have gotten them already otherwise.

User avatar
jfurr
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby jfurr » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm

Weather turned out great. We had a few good real birdies and a fun time today. Even if it was just a dumb captains choice
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

User avatar
srogers13
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Random golf thoughts

Postby srogers13 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:06 pm

So as part of my No Work Friday November, I had a charity golf tournament I had to play last Friday(my aunt is a contractor for local Habitat for Humanity.) So I had two friends on my team, and we got paired up with one random person to make our foursome. Since most people supporting this tourney are not regular players, we were playing from the white tees (one set up from my group usually plays.) What was funny was, other than par 3s, me and one of my friends basically hit tee shots on every hole, and the other two guys just said there was no need for them to hit, because they would never make it to where we were. Of course, that happens when you drive two different greens pin high just off the green.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.


Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests