Random golf thoughts

GBOGEY

Re: Random golf thoughts

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Not sure how I feel about this. At one of the local muni's I can't figure out the green fees. Seems to change every visit, but it's cheap so I don't complain. Last week there was a new guy behind the counter. Charged me a really cheap rate for 9 holes. Then yesterday he did it again but for 18. After I got to my clubs I looked at the receipt - he gave me the senior rate. So should I be pissed that he assumed I was a senior (I'm not) without asking or pleased that I paid $9 for a quality round?

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:31 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:38 pm
Not sure how I feel about this. At one of the local muni's I can't figure out the green fees. Seems to change every visit, but it's cheap so I don't complain. Last week there was a new guy behind the counter. Charged me a really cheap rate for 9 holes. Then yesterday he did it again but for 18. After I got to my clubs I looked at the receipt - he gave me the senior rate. So should I be pissed that he assumed I was a senior (I'm not) without asking or pleased that I paid $9 for a quality round?
How long have you been married? :wah

I got carded for beer today. :ohyeah
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:38 pm
....Last week there was a new guy behind the counter. Charged me a really cheap rate for 9 holes. Then yesterday he did it again but for 18. After I got to my clubs I looked at the receipt - he gave me the senior rate. So should I be pissed that he assumed I was a senior (I'm not) without asking or pleased that I paid $9 for a quality round?
He may have just been trying to give you a discounted rate and it just shows up as "Senior" on the receipt and in their POS system. If he really charged you as a senior, without asking, I would bet he was quite young. Too young to have developed any age sensitivity yet. 50 is decrepit to guys in their 20s and 30s. Pisses me off.

I still get annoyed when AARP sends me marketing materials. So presumptuous. AARP has always been for old people in my mind. I certainly could not identify with them. When they started sending stuff when I was 50, I would tear it up violently. "Who you callin' old, bitch?" was my normal response. I may consider it in another 30 years though.

In the meantime, I still have trouble asking for the senior discount at a golf course (which begins at most courses around here at 55), because that would suggest I'm old enough to get it. (No Doug, look in the mirror. THAT alone, would be more than enough to suggest you're old enough to get it!) I'm still having a hard time with acceptance and an easy time with denial, as far as my age is concerned.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:47 am

First, I never really get the idea of a senior discount. When I truly am a senior, I'll be much more able to pay full price than when I was 40 and supporting a family of five. But nevertheless, when the discount is based on age 55 I gladly take it because it's cheaper. In this case, I believe the senior rate starts at 62 - NOT ME. Yes the kid was young and inexperienced at how 55 should look.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:26 am

I have no problem paying less than the full rate. I still recall the shock when a course gave me a senior discount (Age 50!!) years ago. Now I always announce, "One senior citizen walking 18" and wait for the good news.

I was carded until well into my 40's but at 67, no one bothers unless they have a 100% policy.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:11 pm

I got carded for beer yesterday. Told the server my beer gut was over 21.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:48 am

I give golfers collectively a lot of crap for um, sucking at golf. But you know what group of losers seems even worse at their chosen hobby? Skateboarders. Clanking their useless lives away. Sorry @Jfurr I know you used to skate. But I am currently dealing with a very irritating noise problem caused by some really bad skateboarders.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Mark leishmans home course closed today.

Signature at Westneck in Virginia Beach is no more. I guess they heard I wasn't playing much anymore
Keep it short stupid.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm going to play Harbor Town in a couple weeks! For free!!
Everything Sucks

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:55 pm

jfurr wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:45 pm
Cool! It's on my list and I will get there someday, but not likely to be free.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:02 am

Revision yesterday and I'm down a full point to 14.3.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:15 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:55 pm
jfurr wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:45 pm
Cool! It's on my list and I will get there someday, but not likely to be free.
I used to enjoy playing Harbour Town on the "Links386" computer game from the early 90s. Sick VGA graphics. Literally took all night (and nobody in the house picking up the telephone :puke) to download on a 2400 baud modem.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

MattF wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:02 am
Congrats - you've been playing awesome.

I was excited by my latest revision at first - 5.2, lowest ever - until I realized that without the combo round (two rounds shortened to 9 holes by weather) I'd be 5.8, which isn't my lowest ever. At least I have some solace that both those were going to be very good rounds at the very least.

The trick now is for both of us to maintain these levels.

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Post by CeeBee » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:10 pm

Congrats and good luck.
Tee it up!

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm
MattF wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:02 am
Congrats - you've been playing awesome.

I was excited by my latest revision at first - 5.2, lowest ever - until I realized that without the combo round (two rounds shortened to 9 holes by weather) I'd be 5.8, which isn't my lowest ever. At least I have some solace that both those were going to be very good rounds at the very least.

The trick now is for both of us to maintain these levels.
Thank you mate. Congrats to you too. I'm hoping to squeeze one or two more rounds in before it gets too cold for me. We'll have to see what happens when the global handicap system kicks in.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:12 am

MattF wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 am
I'm hoping to squeeze one or two more rounds in before it gets too cold for me.
You're kidding, right? Too cold? You play golf in Ohio, not Siberia. C'mon Matt. You're playing well. Don't stop now. It's only October.

If it's above 40*, (and there is nothing stopping you otherwise, like family, health, pissed off wife, blah blah blah) there is absolutely no reason not to play golf if the course is open. There are far fewer idiots to deal with, pace of play is quick, the rough goes dormant, the snakes hibernate. What more could you ask? Add a few layers of clothing and go play for Christ's sake. I thought you boys from down-under were a lot tougher than that. :nope

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:45 am

Doug is right. :fkno Not that I care about more people playing golf in the cold. But Doug is right. The world can be yours, if you just learn how to dress properly.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 am

45 degrees has become my benchmark here - it's too damp so 40 here is colder than 40 in NJ. Forecast has us in the 70's this weekend and then two weeks of 60's. Looking forward to wearing pants to play.

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:32 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:12 am
MattF wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 am
I'm hoping to squeeze one or two more rounds in before it gets too cold for me.
You're kidding, right? Too cold? I thought you boys from down-under were a lot tougher than that. :nope
Give me heat and humidity all day, every day. :up I hate the cold and 50° for me, is cold.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:03 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 am
45 degrees has become my benchmark here - it's too damp so 40 here is colder than 40 in NJ. Forecast has us in the 70's this weekend and then two weeks of 60's. Looking forward to wearing pants to play.
Yeah I've always said that when I moved to TN from FL. 40 in FL is sooo much colder than 40 in TN was. It seemed like the air just goes right through what ever you are wearing straight to your bones.

Good news is in FL if it's 40 degrees tomorrow it will be 50 or more. I only remember one really long stretch of cold weather (over 5 days with highs barely hitting 40*).
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:48 am
Looking forward to wearing pants to play.
Amen brother. The older I get the more ridiculous and like an overgrown schoolboy I feel in short pants. All the more so if I have to tuck in the shirt. It's fine for Angus Young of AC/DC because that's a ridiculous and ironic stage schtick. For once I actually agree with the professional tours' pants only policy. The pro game would look horrible if it were played in shorts.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:59 pm

I've been so happy wearing pants again the last couple weeks. Interestingly, it has coincided with my overall play taking a turn for the better. Hmmm?