MG Golf review (gloves)

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

MG Golf review (gloves)

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:03 pm

So many of you have heard I really like the MG C4 golf ball. I claim its so similar to a Pro V1 for literally half the cost.

Given that I decided to try out their gloves. $13 for 2 gloves sure whats the worst that could happen?

In February I bought 2 gloves along with 2 dozen balls. On March 1st I started using the gloves.

Like the balls the gloves are packaged very "cheaply" there is no hard plastic sleeve for the glove like footjoy has. Its a super flimsy piece of plastic. Luckily I expected this because they skimp on the package for their balls too. So I saved some of my prior footjoy sleeves.

I hit balls about 3-4 days a week for context of the next section.

The 1st glove tore apart at the end of March. I thought to myself, oh well it was cheap what did I expect? So I figured I'd use the 2nd glove then go back to footjoy weathersofts. The other glove is still going strong to this day. No signs of it coming close to falling apart. It is dirty and looks like its been through hell, but functionally it is all there. I generally dont get footjoys to last more than 2 or 3 months this one is going on 3 months and looks like it is going to last another month.

Unfortunately I bought 2 footjoy dryjoy gloves in April because they were bogo for $20. So I have enough gloves to last me the rest of the year most likely.

I figured once the footjoy's are gone I'd go back to MG as this 2nd glove has really impressed me.

Outside of the 1st one only lasting 2-3 weeks they are similar to the other gloves I get again at half the price.

I'm not sure what type of sweat shop MG is running to keep the prices so low, but they've sold me on their gloves and balls. Assuming the next set of gloves act more like the 2nd one instead of the 1st one.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

CeeBee

Re: MG Golf review (gloves)

Postby CeeBee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:36 pm

I'll give them a try and see what happens. The balls are great.
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:01 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:I'm not sure what type of sweat shop MG is running to keep the prices so low, but they've sold me on their gloves and balls.

Or maybe that's how about much a premium golf ball should sell for!!! Titleist buyers are paying for not just every pro endorser (like Jordan and Rickie, ka-ching) but for all the millions of free balls they whore out to just about anyone who can break par on a regular basis. A name like Jim Nantz doesn't work for cheap either motherfuckas. I should review the MG balls on my blog, help get the word out. Fight the real enemy :fkno
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:16 pm

Yes, their gloves are as good as their C-4 balls. I have enjoyed using them in the past. I do really like the FJ Pure Touch as well, though they are quite expensive. They are, frankly, more available than MGs. But neither is as readily available as a WeatherSoft when you need something quick. I try to buy 2 or 3 at a time so I am not forced to buy something last minute. As far as quality, the top MG glove can definitely compete with just about any quality glove out there. And you can't beat the price.

Jason, just wondering if the fact that you have been working on your swing lately might have something to do with why your first MG glove wore out so fast. Has your grip changed at all since March as part of your swing changes? Just a thought.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:42 pm

Grip hasn't changed too much. I weakened my left hand about 2-3 weeks ago. Other than that no changes.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Threw the glove away today. 3.5 months hitting 120-200 balls a week.

Not bad.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:55 pm

I have used MG gloves off and on over the years. I give them 2 thumbs up for price, quality and durability.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:44 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
jasonfish11 wrote:I'm not sure what type of sweat shop MG is running to keep the prices so low, but they've sold me on their gloves and balls.

Or maybe that's how about much a premium golf ball should sell for!!! Titleist buyers are paying for not just every pro endorser (like Jordan and Rickie, ka-ching) but for all the millions of free balls they whore out to just about anyone who can break par on a regular basis. A name like Jim Nantz doesn't work for cheap either motherfuckas. I should review the MG balls on my blog, help get the word out. Fight the real enemy :fkno

^ Exactly.

Like balls I get sooo many free gloves too - otherwise I'd buy these MG gloves. Someone here said in the oob forums something about putting gloves in the ziplock bags & rotating 'em. I've used the same 3 gloves for the past 2 seasons.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 pm

I am sitting on a dozen MGs. Haven't played them yet but they look pretty shiny and round like proper golf balls. Already I am impressed with the flimsy packaging. Kind of puts the wastefulness of the big OEM's (and by extension, the entire civilized world) into sharp relief. When you buy a dozen big brand balls, you get four separate boxes all nested inside a big box, and not just any boxes but boxes made out of thick, fancy laminated cardboard, with cellophane windows, like an Entenmann's cake or something so you can, you know, see for yourself the freshness that is packed inside. On the other hand MG's come rattling around in a thin, flimsy box, which is appropriate. Golf balls are designed to be whacked at with full human force using sharp bladed tools, which means they probably can hold up to the rigors of everyday shipping and handling just fine.

Props to the MG Golf company, because they pass the savings on to you the customer. When Titleist sells a box of balls, they pass the savings on to guys like Jordan, and Rickie, and whoever else is the Douche Du Jour.
everyone is gay

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:13 pm

So have you played much with them yet?

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 pm

I have, both balls and glove. Top notch as far as I can tell. Although I am probably so far up my own butt trying to produce good swings lately that I'm not paying much close attention to performance.
everyone is gay

Return to “The Legitimategolf Forum”