Most Common Damaging Shot to One's Score

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Most Common Damaging Shot to One's Score

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:07 am

I have rarely played a true desert course. If I understand the description, one can get a great lie (relatively speaking) and also end up in jail. Are there some courses where the percentage of acceptable lies vs. jail is 50:50? Or is it pretty much always 10:90?

I wonder if the going back on a line, while just getting one further into the desert, might coincide with a decent patch of ground. Go into the desert another 30-40 yards, drop, and then punch back to the fairway.

Of course, I personally would be a bit worried about things that bite you and maim you during all this wandering around. I would likely do as Bryan K and just tee up my third. The desert can have the first one.

BTW, welcome back Bryan. Are you playing golf again? Purchased a home?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:01 am

Great to hear from you again, Bryan. Stick around. It doesn't get any better than this! :yess
:roll:

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:18 am

I have been trying. Truth is, winter golf is expensive here in Phoenix. And it's painfully slow, which brings me to the point about going back to the tee to rehit. This time of year here in Phoenix, the group that is waiting on the tee has likely already been waiting for a while. They were probably waiting when we hit our tee shots. It's a huge part of the reason why I stopped playing. The pace of play is so ridiculously slow. You pay more for a lesser quality product here in Phoenix during the winter.

I have posted about this rule before. I've had the ranger called on me in the past when trying to go back to the tee to rehit. Just a couple of summers ago, I played with a teaching pro who did it twice in a round, so I know it's not just me (and we had the ranger called on us). There are times when your typical amateur golfer playing on the weekend simply cannot follow the rules while maintaining civility on the course. Never mind the fact that we're usually waiting on the group in front of us.

I think I had a post here (not enough time to look for it right now) about a par 3 where I have never shot my ESC, but I had to take my ESC one day when my tee shot rolled back into the yellow staked area. It looked like I would have a birdie putt when I was on the tee. Got to the ball and realized I was going to have to take a penalty. But there was no where to drop. Only option was to go back to the tee where there were three groups waiting to hit. My worst ever score on that hole with about 30 rounds on that course was a 6. I had to card an 8 and move on.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

I should also point out that I usually walk when I play, so it's a "walk of shame" to go back to the tee, and it causes a significant backup.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Going back to the tee should only be allowed in sanctioned club tournaments and larger organized events. It is not fair to others on a busy public course. The USGA needs to give the option for individual courses to have a local rule which states a lost ball or OB is played similar to a water hazard. Penalty and drop. If there is nowhere to drop behind where the ball last crossed into a water hazard, a designated drop zone should be mandatory. When these rules were originally written, there was likely no such thing as a jammed golf course, with tee times going off 7 or 8 minutes apart. Today, that rule is unrealistic and IMO, needs to be changed before any other rule change is addressed.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:46 pm

I agree with you, Doug, and I like the idea of a mandated drop area on every hole. At least then the people on the tee know exactly what you are doing.